LG GL850, black stabilizer too low?

Opus131

Limp Gawd
I had this monitor for a bit and one thing that always bothered me is that the picture is always too dark in all the modes except mode 1. Comparing it an old 23" IPS screen i had there' seems to be a fair bit of detail that remains "obscured" even by raising the brightness. It's like when the gamma setting is too low in a game.

I'm thinking LG set the black stabilizer as a bit too low for all modes. The only problem is that if you raise the black stabilizer from 50 (the default) to merely 55 the gamma just shoots up way too much. From 20 to 50 it's all incremental but from 50 to 55 it's just excessive.

Not sure what to make of this, but right now i have to use mode 1 all the time, even though it doesn't have a particularly accurate gamma point (and i can't calibrate it either as i have no tool).

I wonder if LG did this to compensate for the lower contrast, to artificially give the screen "deeper" blacks even though the result is that detail becomes less visible?

I mean i guess i can just mess around with the gamma settings from the video card drive, but it's kinda of annoying. Not sure if this is how it's supposed to be or my unit came with a wacky calibration.

Back