LG G6 Will Have Unique 18:9 Screen Aspect Ratio

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

It appears that LG’s vision for the future of phone displays is wider screens. I suppose it’ll make things a tiny bit easier to hold, and your typical movie will have less noticeable black bars, but this is probably just a hasty attempt toward originality.

We already know LG is abandoning its modular effort for the upcoming G6, but today the company delivered another interesting nugget: It'll sport a 5.7-inch Quad HD+ panel with an 18:9 aspect ratio. Yes, that's really a 2:1 screen (math!), which means it'll be a bit taller than a typical 16:9 screen. While that might seem unwieldy, it could be a way for the company to implement some features from its dual-screen "V" phones in the G6. And really, at this point LG needs to do whatever it can to stand out from the pack.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. sir-gold

sir-gold Gawd

Yes, but will it be a rectangular screen, or will it have an extra "tab" of screen space at the top like the v20? (they call the v20 dual-screen, but it's really just a single screen with a notch cut out)

3. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 2[H]4U

So, regular 16:9 with an extra bit for the menu. Just like the 16:10 desktop screens. What's old is new again.

4. singe_101

singe_101 [H]ard|Gawd

I don't think they need it to exceed 5.3" 1440*2560. But it's too late, apparently.

5. sleepeeg3

sleepeeg3 [H]ardness Supreme

The only thing that sucks about the G5 is the battery life. Hopefully it actually gets 30% improved battery life. Have to run the G5 at 25% display brightness and CPU Tuner downclocking just to get through the day. Cursed, worthless Quad HD LCDs.

Otherwise, great phone. Super snappy, microSD card, removable battery, great pictures, cool auxiliary wide angle camera and solid feel.

6. sir-gold

sir-gold Gawd

I have the LG v20, and get 3-4 days out of a single charge.
    I'm not a facebook or twitter addict, so the screen is off most of the time, however the same sort of usage would only get me day and a half on my last 2 phones (note 4 and nexus 5).