LG G6 introduction at MWC 2017

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
Since none of the G series phones ever had top specs when launched, the removable battery was a huge selling factor to a lot of people at the time of buying it.

G2 = a change from the norm, rear-mounted (in my opinion superior placing) controls, the Snapdragon 800 (the best SoC available at that time, 32GB internal storage (absolutely high end at the time), incredibly long battery life (it was regarded by many reviewers as the longest lasting device at that time), etc

G3 = world's first quad-HD display (2560x1440), removable battery (large capacity for the time), microSD (an improvement on the G2 in that respect), 32GB internal storage (still considered to be high end at that time), Snapdragon 801 (incremental upgrade over the 800 but still the best SoC available at that time)

G4 = the best camera, period (and I still say it's best camera sensor and lens assembly to this day but that's my own opinion and experience compared to everything else including the vaunted Pixel device's IMX sensor), best camera control software with full manual controls where no other device compared, removable battery, microSD (the first to offer up to 2TB of capacity and yes I realize it's a marketing gimmick but whatever), Snapdragon 808 was considered to be the best processor at the time of release even compared to the 810 because the 810's first few production runs suffered from overheating and other issues making it unreliable in most of the devices it was used in (I own an LG G Flex 2 which has the 810 in it, never had issues with mine but mine is a revision-2 810 so second run SoC), etc

Sure did seem like flagship high end top specs to me when I owned each of those devices. ;)

G2 = a change from the norm, rear-mounted (in my opinion superior placing) controls, the Snapdragon 800 (the best SoC available at that time, 32GB internal storage (absolutely high end at the time), incredibly long battery life (it was regarded by many reviewers as the longest lasting device at that time), etc

G3 = world's first quad-HD display (2560x1440), removable battery (large capacity for the time), microSD (an improvement on the G2 in that respect), 32GB internal storage (still considered to be high end at that time), Snapdragon 801 (incremental upgrade over the 800 but still the best SoC available at that time)

G4 = the best camera, period (and I still say it's best camera sensor and lens assembly to this day but that's my own opinion and experience compared to everything else including the vaunted Pixel device's IMX sensor), best camera control software with full manual controls where no other device compared, removable battery, microSD (the first to offer up to 2TB of capacity and yes I realize it's a marketing gimmick but whatever), Snapdragon 808 was considered to be the best processor at the time of release even compared to the 810 because the 810's first few production runs suffered from overheating and other issues making it unreliable in most of the devices it was used in (I own an LG G Flex 2 which has the 810 in it, never had issues with mine but mine is a revision-2 810 so second run SoC), etc

Sure did seem like high end top specs to me when I owned each of those devices. ;)

So basically enhanced UI and some additional features were a bonus. Okay. Not really what I'm saying here. Every consumer should expect a good upgrade to their older model phones. That's inevitable, and I'm not saying those you've listed aren't awesome. My point is it's just a bonus on top of the fact of the feature I've mentioned.

Now a days, having a flag ship phone without those now deemed standard bells and whistles won't last long.

How much they paying you?

What you failed to mention is this,
Since none of the G series phones ever had top specs when launched, the removable battery was a huge selling factor to a lot of people at the time of buying it. I can promise you that.
While you iPhone, Galaxy and other users come in to display some feedback, know that having a removable battery could possibly be the main reason for getting a G series phone.
(Pre G5)

It is no where near economical or even practical for every consumer to upgrade a phone every two years.
And as you've mentioned with others, what fits you may not fit the rest. Well, ditto. The people who need a decent smartphone can virtually look anywhere. They're all over. But a decent smart phone with a removable Battery? Go to the G series. That's what most of us did. What my needs are for having one is my own business, and that's not the point. My point is that for those of us who did need this feature, it's no longer here. Your life has nothing to do with mine, and your work life has nothing to do with mine. So stop assuming you know what I need.

And until you guys can come up with actual facts on what consumers want in their phones, don't assume figures just because you're on the other side of the spectrum here.

Ah well, maybe with the G7.

LG is not building a phone for you. They are building a phone for everyone. Rechargeable batteries are not high on the priority list.

Furthermore, I feel the whole, I need to keep my phone for 5 years and a replaceable battery is a must is also pretty moot. Batteries today are not the batteries 5 years ago. They dont die the way they did 2 years in. Hell I sold my G2 after using it for 2.5. years and it was getting the same battery life the last day I had it as my first.

I personally think that LG is doing a pretty decent job. G2, G3, G4 all three actually made me fall in love with them. So, I am looking forward to it even more now and I won't be shocked if LG would be higher in competition with the top two in near future!

Like I said before it's definitely great to be about to easily replace a dying battery, but I don't need it to be removable. Like the LG Nexus 5 didn't have a removable battery but it's so easy to replace the battery if you're in the anti planned obsolescence crowd. So I strongly recommend you guess to wait till ifixit or somebody show the ease of battery replacement before y'all whine and moan about it. If it sucks, I'll join the chorus.

(But if your in the crowd of I just want to pull the battery, put in a new one, and wait for phone to restart, stop polluting the environment.)

Last edited:
Stopped reading at 3,300mAh battery. For a 5.7" device that's just unacceptable. Only 32GB available at launch in the U.S. And running 2016 hardware in 2017 is not good either. Oh well LG maybe next year.

You should have read more. That's a 5.7" device in the form factor of a 5.3" device. The additional screen real estate comes from them going to a 16:8 (2:1) screen size and reducing the top and bottom bezel.

You can't compare it to a Note style sized phone, as it's not. A 16:9 5.7"ish screen will yield more battery space.

How much they paying you?

What you failed to mention is this,
Since none of the G series phones ever had top specs when launched, the removable battery was a huge selling factor to a lot of people at the time of buying it. I can promise you that.
While you iPhone, Galaxy and other users come in to display some feedback, know that having a removable battery could possibly be the main reason for getting a G series phone.
(Pre G5)

It is no where near economical or even practical for every consumer to upgrade a phone every two years.
And as you've mentioned with others, what fits you may not fit the rest. Well, ditto. The people who need a decent smartphone can virtually look anywhere. They're all over. But a decent smart phone with a removable Battery? Go to the G series. That's what most of us did. What my needs are for having one is my own business, and that's not the point. My point is that for those of us who did need this feature, it's no longer here. Your life has nothing to do with mine, and your work life has nothing to do with mine. So stop assuming you know what I need.

And until you guys can come up with actual facts on what consumers want in their phones, don't assume figures just because you're on the other side of the spectrum here.

Ah well, maybe with the G7.

The claim that none of the G series had top specs when launched? Absolutely, unquestionably false. The Optimus G, G2 and G3 were all using cutting edge processors; the G3 was billed as the first phone with a Quad HD display. The G5 also used a very current CPU, and the cameras have always been at least competitive. The G4 and G6 are exceptions to the rule.

I'm not saying that I know what you need. What I'm saying is that declaring features like removable batteries as must-haves for everyone is overblown. If it's a must-have for you, that's one thing, but it's wrong to act as if a phone will die because it doesn't accommodate what's ultimately a niche demand. You can say that it's unfortunate that a phone maker as large as LG ditched removable batteries in its flagship, just don't act as if it's a fatal decision. It clearly didn't kill Samsung, although it wasn't until the S7 that the company really hit its stride again.

The claim that none of the G series had top specs when launched? Absolutely, unquestionably false. The Optimus G, G2 and G3 were all using cutting edge processors; the G3 was billed as the first phone with a Quad HD display. The G5 also used a very current CPU, and the cameras have always been at least competitive. The G4 and G6 are exceptions to the rule.

I'm not saying that I know what you need. What I'm saying is that declaring features like removable batteries as must-haves for everyone is overblown. If it's a must-have for you, that's one thing, but it's wrong to act as if a phone will die because it doesn't accommodate what's ultimately a niche demand. You can say that it's unfortunate that a phone maker as large as LG ditched removable batteries in its flagship, just don't act as if it's a fatal decision. It clearly didn't kill Samsung, although it wasn't until the S7 that the company really hit its stride again.

Eh, you win. Happy?

Time for me to switch to the v20 or hopefully v30 if it has the feature I need. Thanks

Last edited:
Eh, you win. Happy?

Time for me to switch to the v20 or hopefully v30 if it has the feature I need. Thanks

It's not great if you're a fan of removable batteries, to be sure... but yeah, you're going to have to either spring for a V20 or hope the V30 doesn't simply mirror the G6's design. I'd say the V20 is the smarter bet right now.

It's not great if you're a fan of removable batteries, to be sure... but yeah, you're going to have to either spring for a V20 or hope the V30 doesn't simply mirror the G6's design. I'd say the V20 is the smarter bet right now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see V30 go the G6 route. Consumers have spoken. Removable batteries just aren't desired by the majority anymore. No matter what you think it just isn't a selling point and hasn't been in years. This is easily seen with the success of the Nexus line, the Pixel line, the Galaxy S line, and iPhone.

I can tell you what selling points though:

Water resistance. IP ratings of 67 and 68 are highly coveted right now.
Metal uni-bodies. People want sleek, beautiful phones.

To a lesser degree than the other two a method for quick charging is coveted as it eliminates the need for a replaceable battery. 15 minutes on a charger and get 50% charge?

I understand that people want choice but in a market where people don't care, it's cheaper for the OEMs to make it non-replaceable which is a smart business move for them overall.

I always ask this question though to anybody who swears they need a replaceable battery or if they complain the battery in a device isn't big enough. Strangely enough I've never gotten an answer. Then again maybe it isn't strange...

What do you do that requires you to drain your phones battery and not be near a charger at some point during the day?

I always ask this question though to anybody who swears they need a replaceable battery or if they complain the battery in a device isn't big enough. Strangely enough I've never gotten an answer. Then again maybe it isn't strange...

What do you do that requires you to drain your phones battery and not be near a charger at some point during the day?
It's not necessarily about being able to stockpile 8 swappable batteries in a fanny pack for day-to-day use -- it's also about replacing an aging battery quickly and cheaply when its performance inevitably declines 12-18 months into owning a phone.

For the life of me, I'll never understand why so many tech enthusiasts are violently anti-removable batteries and anti-microSD, almost to the point of taking glee when they disappear from another manufacturer's products.

We get it; you want "sleek and beautiful" and don't care that perfectly good high dollar devices become useless after 18-24 months because some shitty $10 Li-ion pack sealed inside that shiny unibody can't be replaced without inordinate effort and expense. It shouldn't be difficult to grasp why some would feel differently.

It's not necessarily about being able to stockpile 8 swappable batteries in a fanny pack for day-to-day use -- it's also about replacing an aging battery quickly and cheaply when its performance inevitably declines 12-18 months into owning a phone.

For the life of me, I'll never understand why so many tech enthusiasts are violently anti-removable batteries and anti-microSD, almost to the point of taking glee when they disappear from another manufacturer's products.

We get it; you want "sleek and beautiful" and don't care that perfectly good high dollar devices become useless after 18-24 months because some shitty $10 Li-ion pack sealed inside that shiny unibody can't be replaced without inordinate effort and expense. It shouldn't be difficult to grasp why some would feel differently.
Once again, let's wait for ifixit or somebody to score the Repairability. LG has done a pretty good job in that. LG's Nexus 5 does not have a removable battery, but the battery is easily replaceable. The Nexus 5's repairability score is 8 out of 10, just like LG's G6, despite not having a removable battery.

Once again, let's wait for ifixit or somebody to score the Repairability. LG has done a pretty good job in that. LG's Nexus 5 does not have a removable battery, but the battery is easily replaceable. The Nexus 5's repairability score is 8 out of 10, just like LG's G6, despite not having a removable battery.
The N5 process is at least straightforward enough for any semi-enthusiast with a slight appetite for risk, albeit probably more than Joe Public can handle.

But replacing batteries on the leading flagships (iPhone 6s, Galaxy S6) is completely infeasible. And I just don't understand why anyone would write that off as trivial, when we're discussing the concept of removable batteries in general. Even if you're someone who upgrades compulsively every year before battery degradation is significant, it's grotesquely wasteful on a global scale to see these mini-PCs just get tossed away for an excruciatingly dumb reason.

The N5 process is at least straightforward enough for any semi-enthusiast with a slight appetite for risk, albeit probably more than Joe Public can handle.

But replacing batteries on the leading flagships (iPhone 6s, Galaxy S6) is completely infeasible. And I just don't understand why anyone would write that off as trivial, when we're discussing the concept of removable batteries in general. Even if you're someone who upgrades compulsively every year before battery degradation is significant, it's grotesquely wasteful on a global scale to see these mini-PCs just get tossed away for an excruciatingly dumb reason.
"Joe Public" is also not the one who wants removable batteries over thinness and waterproofing.

That's an actual answer. However, your answer doesn't fit what the rest of the consumer populace desires. Which unfortunately means you're pretty much screwed.

On average most people don't keep a device longer than 24 months. In that span of time the amount of cell degradation in a battery is virtually unnoticeable to those people.

For me I love the SDcard. That's one of the major selling points for me on LG devices recently. While I want a Pixel overall the loss of an SDcard will hurt. But security updates and support mean more to me than an SDcard.
As for battery I just don't care either way. Thanks to JUMP I've been changing phones just about every 6 months (exception is my Nexus 6 which I had for 12+ months). Funny thing is all those devices, minus the N6, have had removable batteries. ;)

Once again, in this thread, someone throws out untrue statements in regards to what the popular demands are with their smartphones.

Show me something, ANYTHING that says otherwise.
If anything, those whom oppose a removable battery are trying to justify a forced option system here, that has been in place for some time. Which is fine, but for gods sake stop assuming what the majority of users want with out actually researching it.

There are numerous amount of surveys and polls that actually differ from what you say.

Like this survey here-

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Surv...ain-gripe-of-todays-mobile-phone-user_id49818

"Battery life is our biggest gripe with 1 in 3 (37%) of phone owners saying it's their number one problem. It's significantly higher on the list of frustrations than patchy reception (14%) and high data charges (12%). A long-lasting battery is also the single most important feature desired in a new phone - for 71% of respondents - over and above internet access (57%) and a high spec camera (41%)..."

and here's this really well done survey
https://aytm.com/surveys/381626/sta...3ccfbd#charts/chart=respondents,color=0,cb4=1

"Overall, 92% of smartphone owners said they consider battery life to be an important factor when considering a new smartphone purchase. 85% consider charging time to be an important consideration. 66% said they would even pay a bit more for a cell phone that has a longer battery life. And 61% said they would pay more for a phone that takes less time to charge."

A majority of those who were in the poll agreed that a stronger and better battery life is important OVER ANYTHING ELSE.

So no, that mumbo jumbo about what you think the majority of the "Populace" needs are, is entirely false.

Since a majority of users want strong battery performance, and not just for a short while, it's truly baffling to see the option to replace the first usual thing that goes bad(battery) on a smart phone, thrown out the door. Failed logic indeed.

Another interesting survey I found is here-
http://www.gallup.com/poll/184043/a...conomy&utm_medium=newsfeed&utm_campaign=tiles

• 54% will upgrade only when phone stops working or is obsolete
  • iPhone users more likely to upgrade as soon as possible
  • Most Android and "other" smartphone users wait to upgrade

Interesting article here stating how more people are upset at the frequent releases of phones
http://www.dw.com/en/consumers-want-smartphones-designed-to-last/a-19474994

To whomever laughed at keeping a device for five years or so(which was an exaggerated claim) , well, you may be the minority there.

"Over half of respondents across the countries surveyed agree that manufacturers are releasing too many new models, many designed to only last a few years. In fact, most users actually want their phones to be more easily dismantled, repaired and recycled."

Last edited:
I polled people in a variety of tech-related IRC channels earlier today, and even in spite of the tech-related nature of the channels realize that doesn't mean that the people populating said channels have any fucking clue about actual technology, sadly. Here's what they said:

- most (as in over 60%) said they didn't give a fuck about removable batteries (blah blah blah too thick too heavy, nothing but whiny babies on this one) - when pressed about using an external battery case which the phone would fit into practically 100% said no way in hell and they'd rather use one of those portable batteries for charging on the go if needed

- most (as in over 75%) said they didn't give a fuck about water-resistance (and believe me I hate having to explain the difference between water-resistance and water-proof so god damned often just because people are stupid - every time I pointed out there are no water-proof phones on the market today I got lambasted for it even in spite of being 100% correct, all smartphones are water-resistant for given lengths of time at up to certain depths of water but they cannot remain there indefinitely or go much deeper than the rated depth without incurring damage hence water-resistant)

- most (as in over 70%) said they didn't give a fuck about expandable storage and if they needed it they'd get something like one of those dual purpose USB sticks (yes that was part of the actual question including a link to such a product so they'd understand what I referring to) - "cloud storage" was fine with most of them even in spite of it being rather limited more often than not, a few gigs here, a few gigs there, and Google was pointed out many times because of them now storing full size images with Google Photos practically unlimited and Google Play Music storing up to 50,000 songs (it just matches stuff more often than not and doesn't actually store anything the user uploads)

- most (as in just over 60%) said they didn't give a fuck about shatterproof or shatter-resistant displays aka the Droid Turbo 2 and the Moto X Force but instead believe that having a tempered glass screen protector would save their device if it was dropped (of course, stupidity at work again) - when asked about putting their phones in cases aka OtterBox or something similar for more protection just over 50% said no thanks, they think such things are useless and "ruin the aesthetic beauty of my device" (a direct quote from an iPhone owner, I mean really)

- most (as in over 85%) said they didn't give a fuck about wireless charging (the most common complaint was if they had to set the device on a stand of some kind where they couldn't use the device while it was charging they'd rather just plug the damned thing in and still be able to use it in the hand)

and so on. Every time I posed a question the majority was against it meaning the questions were always "Would you want <this aspect> in a smartphone?" and the majority always answered no to having said aspect in their devices. The questions were posed to roughly 275 people spread across a few IRC channels (been on IRC since before it was even public knowledge, coming up on almost 28 years now) and it's not like I would be surprised at the responses at all and of course I wasn't.

Now it's not the most official poll ever conducted, I'll be the first to admit it, and again the results were as expected so that's a wash I suppose.

As for people dropping their phones in toilets, the actual numbers would astonish you, seriously. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting poll you did there.

Out of curiosity, why would having the option for a removable battery be considered as being too heavy?(Their words, not mine) Just because the option is there, doesn't mean you need to add an extended battery. lmfao

Because people are fucking stupid, obviously. :)

And yes, the clarification was made to show the difference between a removable battery you can easily swap out for another one that's exactly the same AND an extended battery which could be and typically is about twice as thick and comes with a modified rear cover to be able to fit the extended/thicker battery.

Even so, they still tended to be pretty stupid - way beyond ignorant because I explained the difference so at that moment they had the knowledge necessary to differentiate the two types and they would STILL say the same things.

While most people want a larger battery if that allows their phones to last longer, no where in those polls suggest that the battery have to be removable. People also vote with their money. Let me see there...

ziff-yougove-survey-phone-chart-600-x-360.jpg
While most people want a larger battery if that allows their phones to last longer, no where in those polls suggest that the battery have to be removable. People also vote with their money. Let me see there...

My point for the polls was to show some of you guys who keep expressing false statements/false facts for the needs/wants of the majority of smart phone users. And I think it's time we clarify what the actual majority of users really want.

The average consumer knows that chances are, their next phone will be better than their last, in regards to speed, performance and even style. You don't have to be a nerd to realize tech is advancing, even in mobile devices. Yet as well, the average consumer knows that the battery performance in their next device, will probably and only be adequate at best. (Might be good now, but dreadful ... eventually.)

Until battery life is no longer a concern with smart phones, I can almost guarantee this will be a top need for the majority of us. And while the poll doesn't express the option of a removable battery, the data can in a way show that it's likely a favored option.

If the majority of users aren't upgrading every 18 months and under, which the survey I posted suggested they don't, and the majority of users still want strong battery performance at this point of 18 months - could you honestly tell me that having the option to replace the battery(instead of buying a whole new device) wouldn't be a favored option for any of those users? Of course it would!
And let's take it a step further - of those who do finally upgrade, what's the percentage of them actually just needing a new battery? Higher than you'd think.
How do I know? The survey kind of suggests so.

Survey results -
A. Majority of smartphone users want strong battery life
B. Majority of users upgrade beyond 18 months (This is usually the time a battery starts or has already shown signs of poor performance)

Since a majority of B users are in A as well(easy assumption), it's pretty clear that lack of performance is the key reason for upgrading. And since it's pretty clear now that strong battery life IS the major factor in what we want in our smart phones, it's near obvious this is the main reason or one of the main reasons people upgrade so often. If everyone's smartphone had a removable battery option AND each owner knew about it, would these polls change? Absolutely! People would keep their phones far longer than the 18-24 months as shown.

I suppose it all comes down to what another poster said, making the manufacturers money.

If we can't have the option to keep using our perfectly good conditioned phone after 18 months (due to piss poor battery life), then the consumer will go out and buy another. What other choices do they have? Not many in regards to saving their device. People love options, and being forced to buy another device, due to lacking a simple fix, is absolute insanity. Manufacturers seem to be strategically banking off of us with their lack of battery advancement.
How can this NOT piss anyone off?
It's insulting.

In fact, having a removable battery is clearly NOT a con for a consumer, but a con for the manufacturer.

if the iPhone or any smartphone you use had a removable battery option, would it really change(for worse) how you use it? Probably not.
But at least that option would exist.

Notice how the one poll states that iPhone users are more likely to upgrade at an earlier time? Hmm, I wonder if it has anything to do with the soldered battery that is in it?
Of course there is the "Forever iPhone" promos, better specs, etc... but the battery performance(lack there of) in a consumers current device, has got to be one of the main reasons for upgrading.

Last edited:
I still don't see how you're drawing a line from people wanting bigger batteries and keeping their phones for longer than 18 months to people must want removable batteries. You suggesting there is is an absolute lie. But like I said many times before, how do you know that the G6 isn't easily fixable? LG's Nexus 5 does not have a removable battery, but it's just as easy to fix as a G5 according to ifixit. The battery is incredibly easy to be replaced despite not being removable. So I would wait till ifixit release their ratings before you continue to keep drawing illogical conclusions to polls.

I still don't see how you're drawing a line from people wanting bigger batteries and keeping their phones for longer than 18 months to people must want removable batteries. You suggesting there is is an absolute lie. But like I said many times before, how do you know that the G6 isn't easily fixable? LG's Nexus 5 does not have a removable battery, but it's just as easy to fix as a G5 according to ifixit. The battery is incredibly easy to be replaced despite not being removable. So I would wait till ifixit release their ratings before you continue to keep drawing illogical conclusions to polls.

It's really a simple formula.
A majority of users want better battery life. Of those users, it seems a good portion of them upgrade due to needing a better battery than what's in their current device. If those users can replace the battery in their current device , their reasons for upgrading at the time, are severely lowered.

But, we shall see.

It's really a simple formula.
A majority of users want better battery life. Of those users, it seems a good portion of them upgrade due to needing a better battery than what's in their current device. If those users can replace the battery in their current device , their reasons for upgrading at the time, are severely lowered.

But, we shall see.

That's still some pretty circuitous logic.

The question isn't whether or not people want to replace their battery; it's whether or not the battery they have meets their needs. I suspect many people would be entirely happy with a completely sealed-in battery if it had guaranteed all-day battery life and maintained nearly all of that capacity over the phone's practical lifespan.

I'm reminded of how people griped when Apple started sealing in batteries on the MacBook/MacBook Pro (not so much the Air). Yeah, you had to go to a repair shop to replace your battery, but your battery life also went up from 4-5 hours to 8 or more. What you lost in DIY service you gained back by not having to swap batteries on a long day away from a wall outlet. It's not exactly the same with phones, but the G6 has a significantly larger battery than both the G4 and G5... combine that with a newer processor and screen tech and people might not mind that they can't swap power packs.

Looks like I'll hold onto my iphone 7 for a little bit longer. 3700mah, non removable battery all powering a 5.7inch screen is unacceptable. I've owned both the G3 and G4 before jumping straight to the iphone 7 plus and the battery life on those phones were appalling, especially on the G3. The removable battery option was also nice considering a lot of LG G3, G4 and V20 phones have been affected with boot looping problems.

The camera on the G3 and G4 however are miles better then the one on my iphone 7 plus.

The G3 suffered from poor battery life because LG didn't spend any time doing any kind of optimization for the QHD panel - they wanted to be able to lay claim to the "world's first Quad-HD display" in a smartphone and that alone ruined things out of the gate for the G3. Overall it's a nice device, the display was actually fairly decent for its time but that disappointing battery life that never could really be "fixed" after the release just murdered it - that's a shitload of pixels and without any optimization at all on the battery and power subsystem, well, we all know how it turned out.

But yes the boot loop issues really caused to many bad publicity problems for LG to recover from especially on so many models, I'm not sure that'll ever happen now sadly.

I fully agree with that opinion on the G4's camera assembly, however, not so much the G3 (but it was decent). I've snapped some images with a G4 when I owned one that are just simply breathtaking, at least to me, and I've tested all the high end smartphone cameras that have come to market since the G4 hit the market and I still say it's better than anything else that's been made so far based on my own experience with using one.

I know the iPhone 7 series devices get great reviews for the cameras but, when I look at the actual image captures off the sensors, the G4's image data is just better to work with pre-post but that's my own opinion on it (and I know I'm not alone, not hardly). :D

As I've said before, the G4 was literally my perfect smartphone, I would not have added a single thing to it and would still love to have one to this day but the boot loop issue is always going to be an issue. If I find a used one someday for a good price I might take another chance, if I could get one of the International models I could disable the big cores with the tool that LG created for in-house use only but of course it was leaked, it just won't work with carrier branded models sadly. Even a hacked quad-core G4 that doesn't boot loop would be awesome for years to come.

Damn I miss my G4. :(

The G3 suffered from poor battery life because LG didn't spend any time doing any kind of optimization for the QHD panel - they wanted to be able to lay claim to the "world's first Quad-HD display" in a smartphone and that alone ruined things out of the gate for the G3. Overall it's a nice device, the display was actually fairly decent for its time but that disappointing battery life that never could really be "fixed" after the release just murdered it - that's a shitload of pixels and without any optimization at all on the battery and power subsystem, well, we all know how it turned out.

But yes the boot loop issues really caused to many bad publicity problems for LG to recover from especially on so many models, I'm not sure that'll ever happen now sadly.

I fully agree with that opinion on the G4's camera assembly, however, not so much the G3 (but it was decent). I've snapped some images with a G4 when I owned one that are just simply breathtaking, at least to me, and I've tested all the high end smartphone cameras that have come to market since the G4 hit the market and I still say it's better than anything else that's been made so far based on my own experience with using one.

I know the iPhone 7 series devices get great reviews for the cameras but, when I look at the actual image captures off the sensors, the G4's image data is just better to work with pre-post but that's my own opinion on it (and I know I'm not alone, not hardly). :D

As I've said before, the G4 was literally my perfect smartphone, I would not have added a single thing to it and would still love to have one to this day but the boot loop issue is always going to be an issue. If I find a used one someday for a good price I might take another chance, if I could get one of the International models I could disable the big cores with the tool that LG created for in-house use only but of course it was leaked, it just won't work with carrier branded models sadly. Even a hacked quad-core G4 that doesn't boot loop would be awesome for years to come.

Damn I miss my G4. :(

My wife has consistently loved the camera in my V10, G5 and my current V20 far more than the camera she had in her iPhone 6, 6S and now 7. I personally don't like the camera in the iPhone 7 at all. Especially compared to my V20.

My wife has consistently loved the camera in my V10, G5 and my current V20 far more than the camera she had in her iPhone 6, 6S and now 7. I personally don't like the camera in the iPhone 7 at all. Especially compared to my V20.

Personally, I prefer the iPhone 7's camera to the V10's. The best way of describing is as a kind of reliability. The V10 has an amazing level of control, but it feels less like you need it with the iPhone -- you just tend to get the right results more often. The main exceptions are things like manual focus or those edge cases where the automatic exposure/ISO just won't cut it at all.

To tie this back to the thread: from the samples I've seen, the G6 may be the best of both worlds, with both good auto quality and the manual control for those that want it. I'd prefer the iPhone 7 Plus' zoom-oriented dual camera to the G6's wide-angle option, but both are pretty smart.

Iphones seem to be much better at taking photos in darker rooms/darker areas than my G4 for some reason.

The flash led on the G3 and G4 is extremely good, download a flashlight app and see how bright and wide the range the flash illuminates over on.

Iphones seem to be much better at taking photos in darker rooms/darker areas than my G4 for some reason.

It's likely a combination of sensor choices and software. The latter has always been Apple's strong suit: it doesn't give you much control, but it doesn't need to when it usually nails factors like exposure, ISO and white balance. You'd be surprised at how many phones have technically superior camera hardware but fall flat when it comes to image processing.

The G6 is intriguing to me since it mates LG's usual camera tricks with decidedly improved cameras. It could be a workhorse that may not always be the absolute best, but works so reliably that you can just assume you'll get a good shot in most lighting conditions.

How could these old 5.2" Android phones fit in LARGE 3,900mAh batteries, and a 5.7" device can only do a 3,300mAh battery. These old Motorola phones were raved about for their battery longevity;

2014 Motorola Droid Turbo - 5.2" screen, and 8.3" thick = 3,900mAh battery
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_droid_turbo-6727.php

2015 Motorola Droid Turbo 2 - 5.4" screen, and 9.2" thick = 3,760mAh battery
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_droid_turbo_2-7713.php

I'll take a slightly thicker phone, with a 3,900mAh battery over a thinner phone with small battery. WTF manufacturers grow a pair and put bigger batteries in.

How could these old 5.2" Android phones fit in LARGE 3,900mAh batteries, and a 5.7" device can only do a 3,300mAh battery. These old Motorola phones were raved about for their battery longevity;

2014 Motorola Droid Turbo - 5.2" screen, and 8.3" thick = 3,900mAh battery
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_droid_turbo-6727.php

2015 Motorola Droid Turbo 2 - 5.4" screen, and 9.2" thick = 3,760mAh battery
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_droid_turbo_2-7713.php

I'll take a slightly thicker phone, with a 3,900mAh battery over a thinner phone with small battery. WTF manufacturers grow a pair and put bigger batteries in.

Whats the voltage on the batteries in those phones? You can manipulate mAh rating by supplying higher voltage.

IMHO, the correct way to compare batteries is watt hours.

Well the price's per carrier are out and I think I will be JUMPing from my V20 to the G6 after everything is said and done. Figure in the cost of the free Google Home and the G6 is a pretty good deal for what you're getting. Roughly $520 from T-Mobile. I like that price point. I've been wanting another Google Home too. So this is a win win for me. I will miss things like the HiFi DAC from my V20 but i'm no audiophile. After a day or two I won't care and the fact the phone is only 32GB I can live with. I've only used like 29GB of my 64GB on the V20 as it is and I still have my SDcard. I am looking forward to the screen, tiny bezels, and IP68 rating though. Things like IP68 has never really mattered to me but it is a nice bonus especially when you have 2 kids and a 3rd on the way. ;) Accidents can happen.

The price should be $520 from the get-go and then with the offer of Google Home to basically mark it down to a $400 phone. At $650, people will just get a Samsung or an iPhone. It's like they're betting that people might be afraid of Samsung's batteries. OnePlus 3T is what I'll still recommend to people.

The price should be $520 from the get-go and then with the offer of Google Home to basically mark it down to a $400 phone. At $650, people will just get a Samsung or an iPhone. It's like they're betting that people might be afraid of Samsung's batteries. OnePlus 3T is what I'll still recommend to people.

Except S8 and iPhone 8 are both rumored to be $800+ for the lowest end model. So $150 less and a Google Home on top of that? Enough to make some get it over the competition. Plus you have people like me who don't want the S8 or iPhone. I've been very happy with every LG device I've owned so far. I expect G6 to be a worthwhile upgrade at the price I'll get it at along with another Google Home.

OnePlus 3T is a nice phone but the issue for me with that device is the MDM software we use at work. OnePlus devices fail the safety check. There's something in their ROM that makes it fail so I can't use Airwatch.

If you do care about MDM and business security, I would only recommend Google Nexus/Pixel and the iPhone. No other phone gets security updates quick enough.

Samsung's lowest payment will probably be ~$30 a month too. So that's not that much more.

If you do care about MDM and business security, I would only recommend Google Nexus/Pixel and the iPhone. No other phone gets security updates quick enough.

Samsung's lowest payment will probably be ~$30 a month too. So that's not that much more.

I get security updates every 2-3 months from LG. Has been that way since my V10. Not Google good but better than all the others. I'm not worried about security to that degree though as I am very careful about what I do on my mobile device.

The MDM has an issue with the actual OnePlus ROM (and it's been there since the OP1) where it calls it "compromised" but the system isn't rooted or anything.

VMware AirWatch is crap to begin with but that's a whole other topic.

Back