LG G5 Unveiled: Snapdragon 820, Dual Cameras, Modular Add-Ons

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
LG has officially unveiled their latest phone at the Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona. The most unique feature of the phone definitely seems to be the slot at the bottom, which will accept the standard battery holder, or specialized modules like the camera or audio add-on.

It's a drastic departure from previous LG flagships, with a metal-backed design, a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor and the move to a more traditional volume key placement, eschewing the firm's traditional back-mounted buttons. What's more, the G5 introduces new modular attachments bringing more functionality to the device, with the lower portion of the phone being detachable.

Damnit.... I said I wasn't going to get another LG phone anytime soon after all my problems with them, but I want!!!

Damnit.... I said I wasn't going to get another LG phone anytime soon after all my problems with them, but I want!!!
Really you would think after having all the problems with one GoldStar product you would not buy another one.

LG has a habit of never updating thier phones to the latest android so as cool as it looks you would be stuck with whatever android it got.

Really you would think after having all the problems with one GoldStar product you would not buy another one.

Just cause I want it doesn't mean I'll buy it. I'm trying to keep my G4 till the next Note phone comes out. If it's disappointing, I'll hold off and see what the G6 looks like. I just like the fact you can still remove the battery and sd card. That's why I like LG.

Just cause I want it doesn't mean I'll buy it. I'm trying to keep my G4 till the next Note phone comes out. If it's disappointing, I'll hold off and see what the G6 looks like. I just like the fact you can still remove the battery and sd card. That's why I like LG.
Oh ok Lucky Goldstar is for you then. I'm still using my blackberry.

Horrible video, amazing product. I liked the G4 but went with HTC M8 last time because of the audio. Now it looks like the best of both worlds. I wonder if it has an internal temporary power battery so the phone doesnt have to restart every time you swap moduels? Or did I misunderstand that part of the video?

The modular concept could potentially be a game changer if utilized properly by third party companies.

Video was bad though, but then again I guess this is how you have to grab the attention of their target audience now.

LG has a habit of never updating thier phones to the latest android so as cool as it looks you would be stuck with whatever android it got.

My G3 just got updated to 6.0 so you have no idea what your talking about.

That said I still feel no need to upgrade from the G3.

Horrible video, amazing product. I liked the G4 but went with HTC M8 last time because of the audio. Now it looks like the best of both worlds. I wonder if it has an internal temporary power battery so the phone doesnt have to restart every time you swap moduels? Or did I misunderstand that part of the video?

From the concepts I've seen, the battery is within the compartment, so you could remove the cover and slide in the module without removing the battery. As long as it doesn't take up the space.

I've also heard that there might be an extended battery for those who don't want to add a module.

The modular phone has been a Google concept for quick some time now. This looks like the first attempt to actually test the consumer demand for such a device.

My G3 just got updated to 6.0 so you have no idea what your talking about.

That said I still feel no need to upgrade from the G3.

Yeah when I got my G4 in September it took on 4 updates in a row and then I got Marshmallow a few months ago and at least another two updates since then.

Even my LG G2 has a lollipop update, and its 3 years old. Although im running stock (unlocked) because the update killed battery life.
My G2 has been a great phone. the 3000mah battery last all day. The screen still looks amazing compared to today's phones and it's still fast after 3 years, and the camera is excellent. Would buy another LG without a second thought.

I didn't mind doing the double tap wake up on my LG G3 but to do a fingerprint sensor and keep it on the back? So when my phone is resting on my desk I can't just unlock it like my wife's S6, I have to pick it up, find the sensor by feel behind the phone, wait for it to unlock, and then put it down again? Wow, great design idea!

Dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit. They went and moved the volume controls back to a conventional location. NOOOOOooooooooo....

Once you get used to having those awesome "right there under your index finger" volume controls, it's extremely difficult to go back; I'm constantly accidentally hitting them on my work iPhone 6. Which is a large part of the reason when my G2 broke, I got an Asus Zenfone 2 to tide me over until "the phone I really want" comes out as they also have the volume controls where God intended them to be...

I can cover up their ugly skin with something like Apex Launcher, but I can't do anything about them screwing up where they put the volume buttons...sigh...

Dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit. They went and moved the volume controls back to a conventional location. NOOOOOooooooooo....

Once you get used to having those awesome "right there under your index finger" volume controls, it's extremely difficult to go back; I'm constantly accidentally hitting them on my work iPhone 6. Which is a large part of the reason when my G2 broke, I got an Asus Zenfone 2 to tide me over until "the phone I really want" comes out as they also have the volume controls where God intended them to be...

I can cover up their ugly skin with something like Apex Launcher, but I can't do anything about them screwing up where they put the volume buttons...sigh...

Also, when you hand the phone to someone (especially who does not know how to use a smart phone very well), they always touch the volume rocker on the side. I love having the volume buttons on the back too

I wonder if it has an internal temporary power battery so the phone doesnt have to restart every time you swap moduels? Or did I misunderstand that part of the video?

I really hope so. Even if it was only enough for like 5 minutes of battery life, it would make that whole modular functionatliy like a bazillion times more convenient.

Goldstar products
...GoldStar product...
...Lucky Goldstar...

The fuck is your point?

Also, when you hand the phone to someone (especially who does not know how to use a smart phone very well), they always touch the volume rocker on the side. I love having the volume buttons on the back too

The volume of rocker on the back is a killer feature because it means not having to take the phone out of pocket to increase/decrease volume on Spotify etc

Interesting concept. I don't even know what to say about that video though. I felt like I was I one riff away from going gangnam style at any moment.

Back