LG G5 specs leaked (5.3", SD 820, full metal)

Would you buy?

• YAY!

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • NAY!

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • IT'S A TRAP!

Votes: 16 42.1%

• Total voters

anon

Limp Gawd
This sounds like a probable speculation. Sounds like a refreshing change from the phablet craze that plagued 2015 if this is true, though 5.3" is still a bit on the large size.

5.3 inch quad hd (sweet spot)
Full metal body
Micro SD card and sim slot on the right
IR blaster on top
3gb ram
Snapdragon 820
16mp + 8mp + heart rate+laser focus sensor in the back
8mp front camera
Bottom firing speaker
USB type -C
Pressure sensor found
Finger print reader same like lgv10
Duel camera on the back

http://imgur.com/fWdOaLf http://imgur.com/fHdh1cP
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3xxo7d/lg_g5_full_phone_specifications/

I'd say those will be the specs of most 2016 phones with slight differences in camera, build, and memory/storage options. I'm guessing Samsung will figure out how to make external storage worth with their UFS 2.0 memory in their next phones from recent articles I've seen.

I'm more interested in a worthy successor to my M8. Its been a sweet phone still after almost 20 months of service. I'm hoping they can work a fingerprint sensor onto their M10 (assuming) without using the iPhone clone design of the A9. If they drop the front facing speakers, then I'm done with them, I don't think they will though.

Here is the first purported image of the LG G5, courtesy of phonearena:

lg-g5-leak.jpg

What Phonearena feels are relevant specs on this upcoming superphone:

- A full metal body is claimed, and shiny material is visible through the holes in the prototype casing.
- Mr. Leaks also claims that the phone probably has no removable battery, but there's still a microSD slot. "This is the device for people who want to upgrade from LG G2" - he remarked.
- Speaking of which, the LG G5 supposedly has a 5.3-inch display. Mind you, other leaks have described a 5.5-inch or 5.6-inch screen, so that's still up for discussion.
- A Snapdragon 820 chipset with 3GB of RAM is said to power the smartphone. This is one of the most solid rumors about the LG G5, and at this point, we can't picture anything other than Qualcomm's 2016 flagship processor running the mains.
- A dual camera setup is visible in the photo, described as two units — a 16MP one and an 8MP one. There's a laser autofocus module, and possibly a color spectrum sensor, although the latter isn't mentioned.
- The leakster speaks of a heart rate sensor, though.
- An 8-megapixel front camera is taking selfies.
- The leakster doesn't mention anything about the heavily rumored iris scanner developed by LG and Irience.
- There is a fingerprint reader, however, built in the power key as in the LG V10.
- The LG UI no longer has an app drawer.
- Misc features, such as an IR blaster on top, a single speaker on the back, a USB-C port, and a "pressure sensor" are mentioned.
- It's not clear whether that's atmospheric pressure, or a pressure-sensitive screen.

Good lord, the planned obsolescence industry is in full swing, I mean really. :)

I find these specs hard to take at face value because of the V10.

G5 will have to have at least 4GB RAM to be the new flagship. I think 820 is a given. The screen size is also too small for a flagship device meant to compete with the likes of Samsung and other OEMs.

3GB is so 2013. Not a flagship but more of a mid range like the upcoming Galaxy A7.

I guess the Note 4 was mid range too when it came out in late 2014 with 3GB RAM :rolleyes:

I find these specs hard to take at face value because of the V10. G5 will have to have at least 4GB RAM to be the new flagship.
IDK man. I don't think 4GB is a golden standard just yet for flagships. 3GB still seems most logical, even with QHD.

The screen size is also too small for a flagship device meant to compete with the likes of Samsung and other OEMs.
IMO the screen size makes perfect sense. LG kept making their flagships bigger and bigger which created a bigger gap from that low 5" range. The Galaxy line is also around 5.1" so IDK what makes you think this doesn't compete with Samsung.

All I know is it's nice to finally see some good flagship specs that aren't reserved to a 5.5-6" phone. I would love to see the LG G-series go back to the 5.2" 1080p identity that made it successful in the first place. The G3 and G4 should have been appended by "Plus" while simultaneously offering more reasonably sized phones.

My G3 is still an excellent phone, I'm not seeing much improvement with the G4 and V10 or the rumored specs on the G5.

The only thing that I hate about LG is the voicemate issue and the headphone jack related problems. That alone is enough reason not to go back with LG for my next phone. I'll keep the G3 for another year at least since it does everything else just fine and the size is perfect.

My G3 is still an excellent phone, I'm not seeing much improvement with the G4 and V10 or the rumored specs on the G5.

The only thing that I hate about LG is the voicemate issue and the headphone jack related problems. That alone is enough reason not to go back with LG for my next phone. I'll keep the G3 for another year at least since it does everything else just fine and the size is perfect.

Put Cyanogenmod 13 (Marshmallow based) on it and call it good -- that's what I've done, and it's great. You won't be looking for a new phone any time soon, unless a Snapdragon 801 isn't enough for what you're doing... in which case I really wonder what you're doing. Cameras have improved, but not enough to be a huge step up, and honestly if you want to take significantly better pictures than what the G3 produces you really need a dedicated camera, not a newer smartphone. Honestly, if I hadn't had to switch from AT&T to Verizon a year ago due to a family move, I'd still be using my G2 happily. Cyanogen and Gravity Screen fix everything wrong with the G series (for me, at least).

Put Cyanogenmod 13 (Marshmallow based) on it and call it good -- that's what I've done, and it's great. You won't be looking for a new phone any time soon, unless a Snapdragon 801 isn't enough for what you're doing... in which case I really wonder what you're doing. Cameras have improved, but not enough to be a huge step up, and honestly if you want to take significantly better pictures than what the G3 produces you really need a dedicated camera, not a newer smartphone. Honestly, if I hadn't had to switch from AT&T to Verizon a year ago due to a family move, I'd still be using my G2 happily. Cyanogen and Gravity Screen fix everything wrong with the G series (for me, at least).

My G3 is still on the verizon subsidized plan, I got it when they went to "zero" dollars with the two year contract to replace my Razr MAXX which was a great phone for two years, dat battery life.

I tried to root that phone but had no luck. I haven't even looked into rooting the verizon G3 but if it's possible I'll consider it once the contract is up in a year. Sadly I need verizon more than they need me given my necessary coverage area that I travel to and from for work. Their data plan prices are disgusting.

Also... no way in hell the G5 is going to be 5.3" when the G3 and G4 have both been 5.5". It'll be 5.5" or larger, possibly 5.6 or 5.7" like the V10.

Also... no way in hell the G5 is going to be 5.3" when the G3 and G4 have both been 5.5". It'll be 5.5" or larger, possibly 5.6 or 5.7" like the V10.

Why can size only go up? With the monster V10, releasing another 5.5 or 5.7 G5 wouldn't make sense to me. It would be two virtually identical flagships at the same size.

Eh. So far as I'm concerned all I'd get is quick charge support. Like many here I suspect I mostly use emulators on the phone if gaming. GPU performance isn't that big a deal for me, and the 801 is already plenty so far as CPU.

30% improvement in battery life doesn't mean anything? Or the fact it shouldn't have any overheating issues? :confused:

Losing removable battery would sucks ass. LG has been one on the last frontiers in this crucial area others have foolishly abandoned

Losing removable battery would sucks ass. LG has been one on the last frontiers in this crucial area others have foolishly abandoned
Losing removable battery is a great win for OEMs though. When it's a hassle to replace a dying battery (which always happens after ~2 years), people just get a new phone.

When it's a hassle to replace a dying battery (which always happens after ~2 years), people just get a new phone.

Still use the 2012 Galaxy Note II as a secondary which has already passed the 3 year mark on original battery and still runs like a champ. Don't foresee any issue hitting 4 years. Should pick up an original spare battery though since they get harder to find the older they get.

Still use the 2012 Galaxy Note II as a secondary which has already passed the 3 year mark on original battery and still runs like a champ. Don't foresee any issue hitting 4 years. Should pick up an original spare battery though since they get harder to find the older they get.
That's exceptional for a phone though and the Note is a beast to begin with. There's no way your battery life is still as good as it was when you first got it.

Maybe but I still get 7+ hours of screen on time. I'm afraid when I get a spare battery it'll be a Made in China cell instead of Made in South Korea one currently in the phone.

I literally just upgraded to the G4 today from the G2.

I should have waited, but definitely happy so far.

I may just bite on the g5 in about 6 months.

I have zero major issues with the LG G series. I'm very happy with their phones.

G5 should be good.

Won't buy it with buttons on the back. Removable battery seems like a big deal to me but in practice I replace my phone every year so I never need a new battery, so I have learned to let that go.

Would've never survived recent 17 hour train/buss journey (no AC opportunities) without the secondary battery change, so glad had the G4. And no, powerbanks suck.

Not a fan of LG's UI, and the back buttons are not comfortable with me. I'll pass.

This year is all about the Note 6, and Nexus-N.

Won't buy it with buttons on the back. Removable battery seems like a big deal to me but in practice I replace my phone every year so I never need a new battery, so I have learned to let that go.

This is very much what I do, replace every year because if there is one thing I use daily and deserves to be upgraded yearly its my phones. I might try out the G5 and see how it goes.

Back