LG G4 for those interested in something other than the S6 or M9

Excited to see what LG comes up with. I was pretty impressed with the G3 and almost bought one, but the battery life concerns drove me towards the S5, which is my current daily driver.

Love my G3. best phone I've had. I can't wait to see what the final design of the G4 looks like. It'll be between the G4 and GS6 for me.

I'm interested in what the G4 brings to the table. LG was clearly bent on shoving a Quad HD screen into the G3 at all costs, and the phone suffered from it, but a year later should mean both a refined display and enough horsepower to drive those graphics properly.

I'm interested in what the G4 brings to the table. LG was clearly bent on shoving a Quad HD screen into the G3 at all costs, and the phone suffered from it, but a year later should mean both a refined display and enough horsepower to drive those graphics properly.
Is that a pun I read there?

The bent screen and back button control aren't working as effective differentiation. They need to clean slate or focus on their Audi watch design with stand-alone capability where they have an advantage.

Excited to see what LG comes up with. I was pretty impressed with the G3 and almost bought one, but the battery life concerns drove me towards the S5, which is my current daily driver.

I've never had an issue with my G3 (it is my work phone). Last time I went on vacation, I left it laying on the dresser. All it did was get push emails. I got 12 days of standby!

Yeah, I was put off by the G3 a lot because they released the phone too soon just so they could be first to market (in most areas anyways) with a QHD display and it definitely wasn't worth it for the trade-offs it made for it.

The G4 is poised to take a lot of Samsung's market this year if it sticks to the removable battery and expandable storage options that Samsung dropped on the GS6. Though I'm sure most people don't care about that stuff, there sure are plenty complaining about it online, so it's hard to judge. I hope they use a much better display this time too because the G3's sucked compared to most others in every aspect besides resolution.

The G4 is poised to take a lot of Samsung's market this year if it sticks to the removable battery and expandable storage options that Samsung dropped on the GS6. Though I'm sure most people don't care about that stuff, there sure are plenty complaining about it online, so it's hard to judge. .

So most people don't care about that stuff but yet they're poised to take a lot of market share based on features most people don't care about? Not sure I follow your logic.

LG had a good year by their standards, however they're still a ways off from making much of a dent in Samsung's sales. I personally hope they come out with a competitive phone because it's good for the market. I got a G3 last year as well as several for a few family members (because they always go with my recommendations) because I appreciate it when a company pushes innovation and I feel they should be rewarded accordingly.

All that said, it will probably take a lot to keep me from picking up a S6 edge in a few weeks. I've missed that amoled goodness.

So most people don't care about that stuff but yet they're poised to take a lot of market share based on features most people don't care about? Not sure I follow your logic.

Yes, because Samsung is going to lose a lot of customers that relied on those features, but probably gain several times more just because they look much prettier now (among other things, but mainly that), so I doubt they'll be missed. Since LG should be the only OEM sporting a removable battery (assuming), I would think a considerable amount of people would buy it just for that, providing there's not some other glaring flaw with the phone.

Follow it now?

Last edited:
Yes, because Samsung is going to lose a lot of customers that relied on those features, but probably gain several times more just because they look much prettier now (among other things, but mainly that), so I doubt they'll be missed. Since LG should be the only OEM sporting a removable battery (assuming), I would think a considerable amount of people would buy it just for that, providing there's not some other glaring flaw with the phone.

Follow it now?

Yes, I do. Thank you for explaining that. I will disregard your original premise that LG is poised to take a lot of Samsung's market share because according to what you just wrote, you don't actually believe that will happen.

LG made a good phone last year, but in all honestly, I think one of the main reasons they had a nice uptick in sales was simply advertising. For the first time in forever I was seeing ads for an android phone other than a galaxy. I remember actually seeing G3 commercials and what not. How do you think Samsung became so popular? It wasn't that they created the best phone but rather that their marketing budget was so much larger than any other Android manufacturer. Thanks to those bajillion dollars spent in ads, to most lay people the terms android and galaxy are synonymous. HTC makes an excellent phone but because their marketing budget is so miniscule, they don't get the credit and exposure they deserve.

LG made a good phone last year, but in all honestly, I think one of the main reasons they had a nice uptick in sales was simply advertising. For the first time in forever I was seeing ads for an android phone other than a galaxy. I remember actually seeing G3 commercials and what not. How do you think Samsung became so popular? It wasn't that they created the best phone but rather that their marketing budget was so much larger than any other Android manufacturer. Thanks to those bajillion dollars spent in ads, to most lay people the terms android and galaxy are synonymous. HTC makes an excellent phone but because their marketing budget is so miniscule, they don't get the credit and exposure they deserve.

I completely agree. Advertising is key to making your product known and you can't rely on the merits of a good product alone to make it successful, as HTC has also demonstrated with the One phones (though they were moderately successful, just not nearly as they should have been given how nice they were). I'm still seeing commercials for the G3 on TV a lot more than anything else at least on the channels I've watched lately, so I think that's a big factor in their success so far, it most definitely was for Samsung.

It's pretty much been proven that with the right kind and amount of advertising, you can sell completely mediocre products at a premium price and it will sell more than anything else despite being functionally inferior as long as it looks decent. Beats and Dyson are prime examples of it. Samsung and Apple to a lesser extent, IMO, because I think they make decent products, but there have been much better ones out there until recently.

Yeah, I was put off by the G3 a lot because they released the phone too soon just so they could be first to market (in most areas anyways) with a QHD display and it definitely wasn't worth it for the trade-offs it made for it.

The G4 is poised to take a lot of Samsung's market this year if it sticks to the removable battery and expandable storage options that Samsung dropped on the GS6.
Though I'm sure most people don't care about that stuff, there sure are plenty complaining about it online, so it's hard to judge. I hope they use a much better display this time too because the G3's sucked compared to most others in every aspect besides resolution.

If this is the case, I will 100% get a G4...still on a Galaxy s4 hoping for someone to release a new phone with these options

If this is the case, I will 100% get a G4...still on a Galaxy s4 hoping for someone to release a new phone with these options

One M9 is worth considering too, IMO. I would think it'll get 2-3 day battery life considering the Z3 already does with a similar 1080p display and the less efficient 801 SoC. The M9 has a slightly smaller battery which should offset it a bit with the 810 SoC and equal out to be similar battery life. I would expect it to last a full day with pretty heavy use as the Z3 does with less hardware anyways. Worst case scenario you could use a portable charging pack for the few occasions you might need it.

Back