LG G3 or S5 or?

nekrosoft13

[H]ard|Gawd
Its that time again... time for a new phone.

Will be sticking with ATT, and trying to decide between G3, S5, also considering MotoX Gen2.

Any input?

Note 4 will be out in a week or two and it's a decent spec bump from both those phones. I would wait for that. I played with one for a bit in the store yesterday and the display blows the G3 (and everything else) away. I've played with a couple friends (TMo and Verizon) G3s and while it's definitely not a bad phone, I can see the 801 struggle to push that QHD display at times, esp. in any games. I have a One M8 and it is noticeably smoother all around, though the G3 doesn't lag a lot by any means, it's definitely there.

I'd say the Note 4 or Droid Turbo (or whatever they end up calling it for At&t). And this is coming from a current G3 owner. If you have to decide between G3 and S5 I would say it depends. Screen quality and battery life goes to S5. Software and form factor goes to G3. Camera quality is about even.

Both good options but GS5 edges out the G3 but as others have mentioned you'll better off waiting for next generation that's coming out anytime now.

Same boat...

G3 is a fantastic looking phone, very nice screen, good camera with OIS and laser focus, but it's only an 801 processor- no slouch, but all the new phones have 805s.

Note 4 is just too big. I had a Note 3 and left it on the table in favor of my Nexus 5.

S5 is a good phone... but like the G3 is a 801 and the screen is 1080p.

Moto X is also a good phone, but is also a 801, lacks storage (32GB without a SD slot) and by all accounts the camera sucks. I REALLY wanted to like this phone, but anymore my phone IS my camera, so a good camera is a high priority feature for me.

..... So what's coming up in possibly just a few weeks?

Nexus 6- by all accounts a MONSTER phone in size. Unless Google works some serious magic, this could turn off a lot of former Nexus owners- including myself.

HTC M8 Max (or Prime)- Upgraded M8 with a 805 processor, 3GB RAM, SD slot and a hugely upgraded camera. THIS is the phone I have my eye on...

Same boat...

G3 is a fantastic looking phone, very nice screen, good camera with OIS and laser focus, but it's only an 801 processor- no slouch, but all the new phones have 805s.

Note 4 is just too big. I had a Note 3 and left it on the table in favor of my Nexus 5.

S5 is a good phone... but like the G3 is a 801 and the screen is 1080p.

Moto X is also a good phone, but is also a 801, lacks storage (32GB without a SD slot) and by all accounts the camera sucks. I REALLY wanted to like this phone, but anymore my phone IS my camera, so a good camera is a high priority feature for me.

..... So what's coming up in possibly just a few weeks?

Nexus 6- by all accounts a MONSTER phone in size. Unless Google works some serious magic, this could turn off a lot of former Nexus owners- including myself.

HTC M8 Max (or Prime)- Upgraded M8 with a 805 processor, 3GB RAM, SD slot and a hugely upgraded camera. THIS is the phone I have my eye on...

isn't HTC M8 max suppose to be a phablet?

p.s HTC One max ( original) was 5.9 inch phablet that was 164.5mm tall ( iphone 6 + is 158.11mm / Note 4 is 153.5mm )

Last edited:
just a heads up ...att version of the g3 does not allow you to use QI. im on tmobile version of g3 and out of the box it doesnt have qi but it is supported

Go into store and try them out.

This. The last 2 phones I bought (Thunderbolt and Note 2) were not what I walked into the store planning to buy. Once I started playing with them they felt better and I just liked them more. I plan on getting the Note 4 when I upgrade but I'll definitely check out all the ones in the store before buying.

Plus, I will always pick a phone with a SD card and removable battery over one that lacks those two things.

I would wait, the droid turbo is supposedly coming to att instead of only verizon.

If its exactly the same as the verizon phone then it should have a 3900mah battery, 21mp camera, and 5.2 qhd screen.

Though this is all rumor right now, its supposed to released sometime now in October.

isn't HTC M8 max suppose to be a phablet?

p.s HTC One max ( original) was 5.9 inch phablet that was 164.5mm tall ( iphone 6 + is 158.11mm / Note 4 is 153.5mm )

Yeah- the rumor is that the M8 Max won't be quite as big as the M7 Max. Some rumors claim that it will only have a 5.3" screen. Time will tell of course...

Why couldn't Moto have put a better camera into the X? This would be sooo easy if they had. :mad:

If the Note 4 is too large for you then you should scatch off the M8 Max off your list right now. The most credible rumors peg it at a 5.5 inch screen. Now while this is slightly smaller than the 5.7 inch Note 4 screen wise, given how HTC places enormous bezels to account for boom sound, I guarantee you this phone will still be physically larger than the Note 4, which according to you is too big. (Just remember that the 5 inch screen M8 is physically the same size as the 5.5 inch screen G3).

Nexus 6.

or even the Nexus 5. unless you need a top of the line camera, the Nexus 5 will be just fine.

IMO, I think LG really screwed up on the G3. I do think design wise and screen it is an awesome looking device,and the smallest 5.5" phone out there. That part I wouldn't change one bit.

But LG should have waited until the G2 anniversary of September to release the G3, so they could have put the Snapdragon 805 inside instead, with the better 420 GPU. And also should have stayed with a 1080p screen for killer battery life and better performance. Look at the iPhone 6 Plus and OnePlus one, both 5.5" 1080p screens with great performance and battery life.

I have the LG G3, it's a really good phone, rooted in minutes and has great screen-off battery life...Screen on + heavy usage = 6 hrs or so of usage, not bad..considering heavy usage is netflix streaming/youtube w/ bluetooth,gps,sync,nfc enabled..I previously had a Galaxy S3.

IMO, I think LG really screwed up on the G3. I do think design wise and screen it is an awesome looking device,and the smallest 5.5" phone out there. That part I wouldn't change one bit.

But LG should have waited until the G2 anniversary of September to release the G3, so they could have put the Snapdragon 805 inside instead, with the better 420 GPU. And also should have stayed with a 1080p screen for killer battery life and better performance. Look at the iPhone 6 Plus and OnePlus one, both 5.5" 1080p screens with great performance and battery life.

note 4 seems to have better life than 6+ and 1+1 despite having 2k screen :D

note 4 seems to have better life than 6+ and 1+1 despite having 2k screen :D

Thanks to the Snapdragon 805 and 420 GPU. I've read that that new processor is designed to handle 1440p screens smoothly, where as the 801 and older 330 GPU aren't that good for 1440p.

I would wait, the droid turbo is supposedly coming to att instead of only verizon.

If its exactly the same as the verizon phone then it should have a 3900mah battery, 21mp camera, and 5.2 qhd screen.

Though this is all rumor right now, its supposed to released sometime now in October.

hmm, need to look that one up.

Thanks to the Snapdragon 805 and 420 GPU. I've read that that new processor is designed to handle 1440p screens smoothly, where as the 801 and older 330 GPU aren't that good for 1440p.

Its not designed for 1440p, its a faster GPU so it can handle 1440p much better it would be insanely fast for a 1080p device.

It also does better because of the different screen usage, strict usage of brightness and having a larger battery. The S801 should use a lot less power then the S805 and I think the main culprit is the screen in this case for why the G3 doesn't fair as well in battery life.

LG G2 is better than all of them

Having had a G2 and now a G3 since I broke my G2, I would have to agree.
I'm not saying I don't like my G3, but size wise, the G2 was literally perfect, and the G3 just barely crosses the line of being too big.

i LOVE my G3. After going from a galaxy to the g2, I dont see myself returning to samsung.

I really like my G2 kind of hit a sweet spot in physical size, battery life, screen quality; friends with iPhone's and Galaxy's also like my G2.
Theme/skinned and put a Toast real wood case on it, makes it look like nothing else out there.

I still need to go check out the G3 at the Verizon store to compare to my G2, but I <3 my G2 so much I haven't found myself in the store yet.

G3 over Samsung, but why not just get a OnePlus One?

Another good option if you don't mind huge bezels is the Xperia Z3. I'd take it over both LG and Samsung, big bezel or not. I'd take it over the OnePlus if the price were comparable.

I'd also buy an HTC One M8 over the S5. Would be tougher choice between that and the G3 and OnePlus, though.

The one + one is really good phone. If I could do it over again(I bought my wife the one+one) I would choose it over the G3 on costs alone. One thing I will say, is I love LG G3 skin for android and the display is very readable in sunlight and has less glare the the 1+1

Back