LG G2: Do you use a custom ROM?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey all,

Wanted to check peoples feelings and experiences on this subject.

I love my LG G2 it's amazingly fast, has a great screen, solid construction and amazing battery life.

I don't - however - like the fact that I am still stuck on 4.2.2, some of the default installed programs and themes bug me, and I'd prefer the AOSP experience.

I used CMMod 11 (m2 snapshot) on my GS3 before it died, and loved it.

There are only two things thus far that have prevented me from installing CMMod.

1.) I don't want 10.2, and 11 doesn't have a monthly snapshot for the G2 yet (and I don't do nightlies)

2.) Of all the customizations LG put into their ROM, there is one that is important to me, namely the double tap on the front screen to wake it. This wouldn't be a big deal with other phones, but the cumbersome back buttons makes this almost a must have, and I fear I'd lose it with a custom rom (unless - that is, some custom roms have integrated this function?)

Do you guys have G2's? Any thoughts? What are you doing with them?

Last edited:
Like you, loving my G2, but the stock ROM sucks. I changed it out the first day I had it.

I am currently running a CM11 nightly from back in December with no stability issues. Oh, and the 'knock on' feature is included. Now 'knock off' doesn't work in the release I am using, and I am not sure if they have gotten that working.

Like you, loving my G2, but the stock ROM sucks. I changed it out the first day I had it.

I am currently running a CM11 nightly from back in December with no stability issues. Oh, and the 'knock on' feature is included. Now 'knock off' doesn't work in the release I am using, and I am not sure if they have gotten that working.

Good to know! Thank you. I'm still probably going to wait for a monthly snapshot, but I am glad the "knock on" (I didn't know it was called that) feature is included!

I use Slim Bean currently and haven't touched Kitkat yet as there has yet to be a Kitkat ROM for the G2 on XDA where people aren't reporting a bunch of issues.

Also, the stock rom on the G2 is a laggy, slow POS... the good comments you gave it are downright incorrect. It deserves no good comments whatsoever. It is garbage.

I use Slim Bean currently and haven't touched Kitkat yet as there has yet to be a Kitkat ROM for the G2 on XDA where people aren't reporting a bunch of issues.

Also, the stock rom on the G2 is a laggy, slow POS... the good comments you gave it are downright incorrect. It deserves no good comments whatsoever. It is garbage.

Are we suing the same G2? I agree that the stock ROM may not be the most optimal, but damn, the G2 is so fast that it doesn't really make a difference in that regard.

In fact, it benches better than the Nexus5's stock experience, despite having very similar hardware...

I definitely want to switch to a stock ROM, but speed is not my main motivation. It still wows me at how fast and responsive it is 3 weeks later, even in the stock ROM.

I have the T-Mo model so maybe other models are better (T-Mo crapware is pretty bad), but my G2 stock was barely better than my previous Samsung S2 CFW'd. It was seriously horribly laggy. It was nowhere NEAR acceptable. If CFW didn't exist for it, I 100% definitely would have (tried to) returned the G2 for being a piece of shit as a whole. It's hard to put into words how much better the CFW is without seeming like I'm BSing. And of course, with CFW, worlds faster than my S2 ever was (as it should be). Edit to add this sidenote: If I'd realized the G2 would be yet ANOTHER Android phone using Linux kernel 3.4 (was really looking for 3.8), I probably also would have skipped it, but too late now on that one.

And I'm using a very early CFW, at that.

And I get 3-4 days battery.

Last edited:
I have the T-Mo model so maybe other models are better (T-Mo crapware is pretty bad), but my G2 stock was barely better than my previous Samsung S2 CFW'd. It was seriously horribly laggy. It was nowhere NEAR acceptable. If CFW didn't exist for it, I 100% definitely would have (tried to) returned the G2 for being a piece of shit as a whole. It's hard to put into words how much better the CFW is without seeming like I'm BSing.

Interesting. Mine is the VZW model, and it is blisteringly fast. Has some bloat and other annoyances, but nothing that bad.

It is - stock - MUCH faster than my Galaxy S3 was with the M2 snapshot of CM11 before it died, and on my S3, CM11 was a miracle upgrade over the stock Samsung ROM.

Verizon G2 here running stock. It is plenty fast. Read somewhere we will get 4.4 end of March.

I have to admit. My biggest beef with this phone thus far?

The default alarm tone "Vienna Boys Chior - Good Morning" I keep accidentally selecting.

The horror :p

Agreed, I got a Verizon G2 when it was free on Black Friday to replace my Droid DNA. Just couldn't ever get used to Sense. My only beef was the free model was white, and its starting to wear on me. The rom certainly isn't though. Granted, the faster I can get the Vienna boys choir off my phone the better.

I'm holding out for a stable release of CM11, but the stock rom isn't THAT terrible.

Sprint G2 (LS980) owner here: Running CyanogenMod 11 with almost no problems.

Have FM working (Sprint exclusive in the .us from all I can tell) w/ Spirit 2

The only caveat I ran into is that one can either have LTE or GPS but not both at the same time. I rarely need nav so I just keep the phone setting to LTE though. LTE's still semi-spotty here, Sprint hasn't officially rolled out yet so that's not super surprising.

Agreed, I got a Verizon G2 when it was free on Black Friday to replace my Droid DNA. Just couldn't ever get used to Sense. My only beef was the free model was white, and its starting to wear on me. The rom certainly isn't though. Granted, the faster I can get the Vienna boys choir off my phone the better.

I'm holding out for a stable release of CM11, but the stock rom isn't THAT terrible.
I despise the droid dna...had nothing but issues with the sim tray even after 3 replacements...will never get another droid product again.

I agree with you. I saw the files still said Alpha and that's why I held off.

I desperately want to get this ATT bloatware off my LG G2.

I moved from a Google Nexus Prime that I bought 2 winters ago and it was a great phone. I had a custom rom on it and the custom rom was incredible at extending my phones battery.

This is why I am looking forward to a stable custom Kitkat rom for my new LG G2

I have an AT&T LG G2 as my backup phone to my Note 3. I found the G2 to be VERY fast, even with the given bloat. I dare even say it runs faster than my Note 3 with it's laggy Touchwiz UI. In fact, if it weren't for the S-Pen (which I have recently started using extensively), and the longer battery life, I would be using the LG, and sold off my Note 3.

You know what's funny, the LG G2 and Note 3 both have a nearly the same battery, 3000mAh vs 3200mAh

You know what's funny, the LG G2 and Note 3 both have a nearly the same battery, 3000mAh vs 3200mAh

Yeah, I would have imagined their batter use to be close as the Note has a larger screen to light up...

I have to say, I've been very impressed with the G2's battery life.

I've had the G2 for almost a month now, charging every night when I sleep, and the lowest I've ever seen the battery has been 68% :p

Zarathustra[H];1040613109 said:
Yeah, I would have imagined their batter use to be close as the Note has a larger screen to light up...

I have to say, I've been very impressed with the G2's battery life.

I've had the G2 for almost a month now, charging every night when I sleep, and the lowest I've ever seen the battery has been 68% :p

*cough* I had mine at ~38% once. Course I abused the hell out of the thing that day.
~2 hours of radio and another ~2 hours of video at work followed by half an hour or so of LTE browsing and a few hours in an area of marginal (3g) signal. (that last bit's always hard on the battery)
still pretty darn good given everything I did to the thing. (was freshly charged before bed the previous night)

I can kill my battery in 3 - 4 hours of very heavy use. Basically the screen very bright and always on

The G2 is the first phone in my history of owning android phones, that I actually love the stock rom, mostly.
I did install CleanROM, but it is just the stock rom with verizon bloat and choirboy crap removed.

I actually like some of the features built into the stock rom I havent seen built into other roms such as wifi storage access at the tap of a button, quite mode, and some other things.

With some tweaks from G2 Exposed, I have no reason to try anything else other than maybe a dark theme. Pretty much everything I use in custom roms is in stock.

I run cm 11, its getting better and better. and double tap screen on has worked from day one and you can even go in to settings and enable double tap on top to turn the screen off.

Hmm.

Looks like the CM11 M3 snapshot was recently released for the VZW G2.

I may have to test it out. Not tonight though, maybe tomorrow!

I wonder if the VZW LG G2 has a locked boot loader like my VZW SG3 did...

I have the Verizon model. Stock ROM ran great and had no issues with it. I run Malladus and don't really see any reason to experiment with other ROMS. In no rush to get KitKat and no reason for me to try AOSP over stock roms.

Back