LG E2770V - 27 inch with IPS-panel ?

Wow, this is just ridiculous. Is this LG intentionally leading people on, or is it just an enormous bungling of the spec data?

Not sure these are good enough pictures for some of you, but here they are.

DSC07477.jpg

DSC07488.jpg

This is interesting.
My 2233rz(TN) inverts colors badly compared to that.

Can you take the same pictures but from normal viewing angle, please?

EDIT: Nevermind, i realized that you take the pictures from too wide angle so the colors inverts again (the screen goes dark first, then at extreme angle it gets bright again). I can replicate this effect with my TN.

Last edited:
I'm still confused. What's the fuss all about with this monitor? It's just another TN 27" right?

Nevermind, i realized that you take the pictures from too wide angle so the colors inverts again (the screen goes dark first, then at extreme angle it gets bright again). I can replicate this effect with my TN.

Yea, I think I did angle too much. I just put the camera under it and took it. But, doesn't make much difference now does it.:mad:

gman. They have most likely entered the wrong specs.

I am sure this is an IPS and the pics alongside with LG:s, neweggs and amazons statements make me very confident!

Last edited:
Another person on those forums got it and says it's a TN. Poor by LG, really.

I think the pics and amazon, LG and neweggs statements make it pretty clear that it is IPS.

The vast majority of the users believe it is IPS.

we need a photo of the service menu which would help confirm for sure. if it is WF2 as gman has said then thats a TN Film module

Yes, It looks AMAZING!

I hope you're joking. It seems to have better viewing angles than the majority of large panel TNs to come out lately, so for a TN I am mildy impressed, but no IPS I've ever seen would look like that from below.

I'm not sure about the pricing there, but here right now this screen costs more than a ZR24W.

For reference this is how the Corsair background is supposed to look.

It looks worse than my iiyama E435S from 2004/2005:

e435snormal.jpg

e435sbelow.jpg

They have most likely entered the wrong specs.

The wrong specs in the service menu? That would seem odd. I've also started thinking that wouldn't it cost more if it had an IPS panel? I mean really I would think $550 to $600 for 27". I don't know anymore. I feel like crying:(.....no not really. Screaming yes.

Yes, It looks AMAZING!

No, its a normal TN. I mean, those images look "good" if they are taken from extreme angle like gman did.

This is my 2233rz:

Front
5535948.jpg

Notice how dark it becomes with little movement
5536018.jpg

Then the dark inversion magically dissapear at extreme lower vertical angle, letters becomes red again instead of green:
5536019.jpg

Sad, sad day. But this removes the temptation to purchase. Thanks for playing LG. Try again.

It doesnt confirm that it is a TN panel. Most likely false info in service menu!

LG has confirmed that it is IPS. Amazon has confirmed that it is IPS. Newegg has confirmed that it is IPS. And the pics look amazing!

I am confident! It is IPS!

When you get your custom posting title, I suggest "Baghdad Monitor Information Minister". ;)

Contact LG and show them that screenshot and I am sure they have a good explanation.

Now we await official word from LG on why Amazon and Newegg are advertising IPS with a TN panel. Still, even with the bad news, its good to have some clarity, just sorry for gman and others buying it on the basis it would be IPS.

I know this may be a stretch but, on my LG L227wtg-pf, in the service menu, under panel type I have multiple panels to choose from, when I choose a different panel, the colors do change a bit

here are some pics...

Untitled-1.jpg

That's quite common on a lot of screens where panels are interchangeable. That's normally only applicable to TN film models where there's a wide variety of similarly spec'd panels which will perform within the required defined characteristics. Changing the default selection would probably just make some adjustments to the LUT but obv doesn't actually change the panel being used. I expect also that any other options which are listed would just be other TN panels from CMO, Samsung etc

Oled. I'd like it to be IPS as much as anyone. However I don't think you can really rely on your assumptions sadly. LG have only really ever mentioned IPS in specs and in emails where they have also said "tbd" or that they are subject to change. Amazon and newegg will only be posting spec based on what they believe to be accurate from a spec webpage so have probably just been lured into the same errors we all have. The pictures of viewing angles show TN film behaviour and the service menu now also confirms it is using a TN film panel which has been around for a fair while

It doesnt confirm that it is a TN panel. Most likely false info in service menu!

LG has confirmed that it is IPS. Amazon has confirmed that it is IPS. Newegg has confirmed that it is IPS. And the pics look amazing!

False info in the service menu? Okay, I've never seen that before, but I'll be happy to see pictures proving it has happened - otherwise, I'd say it's doubtful.

Amazon and Newegg "confirming" that it's IPS? Since when do we trust stores to provide the exact, precise data on hardware? I've seen plenty of stores in my time selling computers where the "CPU" is of the brand "ASUS" or even "Cooler Master". I've seen an Athlon 3200+ at 3.2 GHz, and 6400 MHz (PC6400) memory.

The only trustworthy point of yours is "LG has confirmed that it is IPS", but if pictures show TN characteristics, how can you be so confident? Where in the pictures provided by gman do you see any sign of IPS technology?

i can confirm the e2770v that review sites will get for testing will definitely have ips ;)
the e2770v you can actually buy will likely have a tn though
be it right from the start or in the next revision

its called panel lottery

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't know what kind of status you must have, dowant120hz, to find yourself in a position where you can confirm something like this without any kind of proof/source to back up your statement. Do you know a significant amount of hardware testers who have indeed reviewed this monitor, or do you own a hardware review site yourself perhaps?

Please enlighten me :)

I'm sorry, but I don't know what kind of status you must have, dowant120hz, to find yourself in a position where you can confirm something like this without any kind of proof/source to back up your statement. Do you know a significant amount of hardware testers who have indeed reviewed this monitor, or do you own a hardware review site yourself perhaps?

Please enlighten me :)

What he is trying to say is that the review sites will get IPS panel displays cherry picked while the consumer gets fucked. He was also being semi-sarcastic.

Ah okay! Thank you for clearing that up ;) It's been hard to tell who's trollin' and who's not recently in these threads. People who genuinely believe that if they say "it's this or that", that alone makes it truth... *shrug*

Anyway, on a more serious matter, does this happen a lot where the review sites get the guaranteed good stuff, and consumers just get whatever's left?

I returned mine. I have that Shoprunner thing so it didn't cost me. I went with the HP ZR24W. I really wanted a 16:10 anyway.

Not happy with LG. I really don't know what the monitor is. I'm not going to keep it when the service menu shows something different. I had a PVA LG before the Asus I have now and it was a great monitor. I hope someone from LG explains.

Ya know I wonder if the first ones out are going to be TN due to the IPS panel production and then later it magically become IPS. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Edit: this is not directed toward Gman but the people who refuse to even consider the possibility that the specs may be wrong. Gman has been very helpful in getting to the bottom of this.

I'm not sure why people believe manufacture's specs are the word of law. Especially when they are so inaccurate with contrast ratios, response times, brightness, etc.

LG isn't the only one to do this either. Take a look at this Amazon review of the Samsung P2770FH. Samsung and Amazon listed the monitor as being LED with 2 HDMI ports which was false and wasn't corrected for months.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R194VX...e=UTF8&ASIN=B0047A5QNK&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sigh

Must be true then, Newegg removed "IPS" from the overview F$#&!

Disappointing indeed but interesting how LG marketing fibbed on the specs. Their 22-23 inch IPS monitors have IPS all over the box and even in the name of the monitor. The gaming aspect must be coming from its "thru-mode".

Must be true then, Newegg removed "IPS" from the overview F$#&!

No it's still there at the top of the overview:

The ultimate in LG Monitor displays is now available with the E70. Equipped with IPS display technology users can view smooth and clear images from virtually any angle. See it for yourself.

Are you intentionally being this obtuse?

is there another E2770v from LG ?

This is E2770V with TN panel ?

is wrong or another version ?

What a mess!!!!

Read!

Product Specifications
Response Time: 5 milliseconds

Technical Details
Response Time: 14 ms

:D:D

Last edited:
this is the true E2770V or not ?
if I wanted to get a catch?

Not sure what you mean but there's only one E2770V. Early specs and postings on retaill sites suggested it would be an IPS model, and some even have mention of it still. But there's proof it's actually a TN Film model and that's the only version there is. It's still quite well priced for the size

Basically, this thread is a case study of logical fallacies used in defense against reality. The truth was demonstrated on page 6, and yet people are now trying to barter with this reality using the theory of "panel lottery".

Back