LG E2770V - 27 inch with IPS-panel ?

So people are still saying it has "all the characteristics of a TN" based solely on one guy's bad pictures that he says are wrong?

Wow, this forum gets pretty bad sometimes.

Even he thinks it is probably a TN and doesn't really know the difference. I bet he just doesn't notice the vertical gamma shift, like many people for whatever reason don't. All of the pictures he took look exactly how a TN panel would look like, both in front of it and at angles.

Even he thinks it is probably a TN and doesn't really know the difference. I bet he just doesn't notice the vertical gamma shift, like many people for whatever reason don't. All of the pictures he took look exactly how a TN panel would look like, both in front of it and at angles.

He said he thinks it's IPS.

I agree that he doesn't know the difference, but I still stand by my saying that one guy's pictures aren't conclusive.

No, it shows all the characteristics of a typical TN, which I already explained.

So 14ms is TN? 178/168 viewing angle is TN? SO in other words LG is just lying and you guys have the insight to just KNOW it's a TN?

Since when do the specs mean anything? It also says the contrast ratio is 5,000,000:1. Do you believe that too?

LG is incompetent and obviously mixed up the specs while trying to decide which panel to use. That's what happens when they write up the docs before finalizing the product.

Every one needs to STFU. How many posts of speculation do we need?

Just wait for definative proof from some one else a bit more compitent than OCnewb rather than wasting your own time arguing.

In the time spent arguing I'm sure some one could have driven down the their local store and seen for themselves.

Ok, I agree it's time to STFU on this. I personally think thead has the answer and that settles it for me unless LG comes out and says something diff.

So I'm done.

Every one needs to STFU. How many posts of speculation do we need?

Just wait for definative proof from some one else a bit more compitent than OCnewb rather than wasting your own time arguing.

In the time spent arguing I'm sure some one could have driven down the their local store and seen for themselves.

We will just have to wait for TFT Central, Prad.de, or some site as competent to make a judge on it.

I'll check my local Fry's tomorrow if it has the LG 2770V-BF but I doubt my noobish eyes will do anything for you all. If anything, at the very least, I can check for the vertical viewing angles.

I trust LG over you, though both are as likely to be wrong
But LG says it's a TN. http://www.lg.com/jp/it-product/monitor/LG-16-9-wide-E2770V-BF-print.jsp My thoughts are that a translation gaffe resulted in "SUPER LED" (also on the English spec sheet) being misinterpreted as meaning Super-IPS.

I said it before, just look for the color inversion. This can only occur because of the way the TN panel's crystals have different rotations at different depths perpendicular to the screen. IPS crystals are all located and rotate in planes parallel to the screen surface (hence the P in IPS). So it's factually impossible for them to exhibit such asymmetry.

It certainly could be a very good TN panel (recent ones are indeed much better), but a color inversion makes it 100% impossible for it to be IPS.

But LG says it's a TN. http://www.lg.com/jp/it-product/monitor/LG-16-9-wide-E2770V-BF-print.jsp My thoughts are that a translation gaffe resulted in "SUPER LED" (also on the English spec sheet) being misinterpreted as meaning Super-IPS.

I said it before, just look for the color inversion. This can only occur because of the way the TN panel's crystals have different rotations at different depths perpendicular to the screen. IPS crystals are all located and rotate in planes parallel to the screen surface (hence the P in IPS). So it's factually impossible for them to exhibit such asymmetry.

It certainly could be a very good TN panel (recent ones are indeed much better), but a color inversion makes it 100% impossible for it to be IPS.

I know it's probably been said before in this thread, but I will ask anyway. How does one go about checking/testing for color inversion?

There could be some sort of polarizer or other effect causing the apparent inversion. It looks similar to TN, but I've never seen a TN radiate out like that, the inversion is usually pretty normal along the width of the monitor.

The gradients are completely inconclusive to me. It looks more like a problem with IE and transparent png rendering than anything related to the monitor.

Regardless, the limited pictures available don't demonstrate typical IPS characteristics. Until there's more information, people should hold off on purchasing the monitor.

I've said this before in the thread, LG Japan lists the panel as TN, LG USA says IPS,
what really matters is what LG Korea says, the Headquarters is in Seoul, after trying my best on the non translated site, I could not find the model.

LG says IPS. What they say about a monitor with different specs on another market isnt intresting. Different panels for different markets is not something new.

well i called LG wednesday and talked to someone in the display dept. they were not able to tell me what type of panel it is as the data sheet says IPS and the details page says TBD. they said they would make some calls and find out and get back to me. yesterday ( a day later) they called me back and confirmed that the E2770V-BF has a IPS panel and not a TN panel. maybe its a low cost IPS or EIPS that i dont know but they said it was IPS. i have been looking for a good monitor for over a year to replace my 10 year old Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200 22" CRT monitor. (yes i said CRT).:rolleyes:. i play lots of games and i hope the lcd technology is getting to the point where they are better than my old crappy CRT. i have bought the rest of the family LCD's over the years. and all of them have been crap. they were all around or under $400. i have yet to see a LCD in a computer store that even comes close to my old crt in terms of speed/blur and ghosting. maybe i have sensitive eyes. but when playin games with fast motion all the lcd's i have seen are crap. im sure you can spend $2000. and get a good one for gaming. but my budget is around $400-$500 and iam just waiting for something to come out that you can play games on in that price range that is in the same performance ball park as my 10 year old CRT. Anyone who has this new monitor can you tell me if its good for gaming. no lag and no motion blur? thanks Guys:D

As this post makes pretty clear. We dont need more information, we need a good review on how this IPS panel performs.

Not sure how I got to this site. It may have been posted earlier, but it interesting.

http://www.pcmonitors.org/news/lg-e2770v-coming-soon

Also the LG E2370V-BF on the LG US site has the exact same specs as the E2770V except it's 23" and it's IPS in the spec. sheet.

I've decided not to bow out just yet.:p

Last edited:
Not sure how I got to this site. It may have been posted earlier, but it interesting.

http://www.pcmonitors.org/news/lg-e2770v-coming-soon

Also the LG E2370V-BF on the LG US site has the exact same specs as the E2770V except it's 23" and it's IPS in the spec. sheet.

I've decided not to bow out just yet.:p
That would explain it. A panel lottery isn't beyond LG, as they definitely do it with TVs. The question is whether they're all TN, or only some are.

desh said:
I know it's probably been said before in this thread, but I will ask anyway. How does one go about checking/testing for color inversion?
Look at the monitor from the bottom side from an extreme angle. If the colors invert (white is black, blue is yellow, red is cyan, etc.) then you've got a TN.

Nope, but I sit more than a foot away and even a TN panel is consistent horizontally at that distance :p

Really? I don't have to get very close to my MacBook's screen to notice horizontal shifting. Vertical, it's downright horrible, though. I can't imagine it being any better at bigger dimensions. Have you actually sat in front of a 27" TN, or are you used to maybe 22" or so? I've heard lots of people say on these boards that a TN bigger than 24" can't possibly be consistent unless you sit more than 4-5 feet away. I suppose with a 27" running 1920x1080, you'd have to place it that far away from it anyway, though.

It's also ridiculous to blindly believe the specs if pictures raise suspicion of TN or panel lottery, though.

It's also ridiculous to blindly believe the specs if pictures raise suspicion of TN or panel lottery, though.
Even if you look at the pictures it is obvious that it isnt a TN panel.

And none of the people who have seen it live believe it is a tn.

And LG says it is no tn.

Therefor are those claims rather ridicolous.

Last edited:
Wow, this forum gets pretty bad sometimes.

Impossible ;)

Even if you look at the pictures it is obvious that it isnt a TN panel.

And none of the people who have seen it live believe it is a tn.

And LG says it is no tn.

Therefor are those claims rather ridicolous.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw the viewing angles, not perfect like IPS but way better then TN.
Even the wiki supports LG's claim about it being e-IPS since it's basicly a low grade IPS wich explains the slightly lesser colors compared to standard IPS and the less expensive price.
Still a good buy though, only shame it's not true 120Hz

I don't find it obvious from the pictures at all. That's the whole point :rolleyes:
Probably not worth bothering anymore until someone who knows the difference gets the monitor or there's at least someone willing to take a few useful pics. I'd go to a local store to check one out but they are not available here yet. Although I get the feeling that still won't be enough to stop the speculation in this thread as some people have already decided it is IPS no matter what and even if that turns out not to be the case they will continue to claim it is some kind of a special TN or a low grade IPS.

Not sure these are good enough pictures for some of you, but here they are.

DSC07477.jpg

DSC07488.jpg

Last edited:
Newegg. It has 30 day refund/30 replacement. I also think Microcenter may have it.

Last edited:
I played Battlefield 3: Bad Company and I didn't see any lag. It looked pretty smooth to me.

Gman, if you take a macro shot of a white background as close as possible, the pixel structure will be enough proof of which panel type this monitor uses.

I tried, but could not get a clear picture.

Last edited:
Gman can you try and access the factory OSD menu and see if it lists a panel? Hold menu while turning screen on and then press menu to enter as normal where there should hopefully be a new section....

And can we have some photos of normal wallpapers from, head on and then below?

Guys, what's wrong with the pictures I took? I can't fill everyone's request I have a life to live.

The Corsair shot above is a desktop background from below.

If I get a chance I'll see what I can do.

I got to the service menu and it shows the panel to be: LM270WF2

Got this: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/search.php?query=lg&select=model

LG E2750VR-SN 5ms 27"WS LG.Display TN Film (LM270WF2)
LG M2780D-PU 5ms 27"WS LG.Display TN Film (LM270WF2)

Very interesting. This is starting to piss me off.

This pretty much confirms that it is indeed a TN, albeit a very nice TN. If you owners are happy with it, then keep it.

This pretty much confirms that it is indeed a TN, albeit a very nice TN. If you owners are happy with it, then keep it.

Indeed. Now the real question is if we have panel lottery going on and some of them will be IPS. Otherwise, all that advertising blurb from Newegg and Amazon will need to be changed haha.

Still, if you like it gman, keep it!

I think I'm sending back. Just pisses me off that it's not what it says it is. I really wanted an IPS, so I guess I'll go with a 24". Maybe the HP.

I got to the service menu and it shows the panel to be: LM270WF2

Got this: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/search.php?query=lg&select=model

LG E2750VR-SN 5ms 27"WS LG.Display TN Film (LM270WF2)
LG M2780D-PU 5ms 27"WS LG.Display TN Film (LM270WF2)

Very interesting. This is starting to piss me off.

yep WF2 is TN Film and matches most of the spec well (matches the spec on the Japanese website exactly). can we have a photo of service menu please? :)

Back