LG E2770V - 27 inch with IPS-panel ?

Because Walker's speculation is better than your speculation!

Oh wait

Yea, right. :eek:

So a guess by a guy (Walker) who does not even own the monitor, is more reliable than the producer it self, the resellers and other reliable sources?

Sorry but I must laugh!

That's some really bad camera that gives IPS all the characteristics of a TN panel ;)

The problem with you is that you don't see the whole picture. With your logics it would be no problem what so ever to claim that it is PVA, MVA, TN or IPS. Because you clearly don't see the whole picture but focus on a strange questionable detail that isnt really intresting.

The problem with you is that you don't see the whole picture. With your logics it would be no problem what so ever to claim that it is PVA, MVA, TN or IPS. Because you clearly don't see the whole picture but focus on a strange questionable detail that isnt really intresting.
Vertical gamma/color shift and inverted colors when viewed from below, THE characteristic of a TN panel is a strange questionable detail that isn't really interesting? I'm not interested in this monitor so I don't care either way. Just find it funny that some people want it to be IPS so bad that they aren't at all concerned that the panel in question doesn't really perform like one. As far as I'm concerned, even if I'm not interested in a monitor of this resolution and size, more IPS panels on the market can only be a good thing but sadly this just doesn't look to be one.

Vertical gamma/color shift and inverted colors when viewed from below, THE characteristic of a TN panel is a strange questionable detail that isn't really interesting? I'm not interested in this monitor so I don't care either way. Just find it funny that some people want it to be IPS so bad that they aren't at all concerned that the panel in question doesn't really perform like one. As far as I'm concerned, even if I'm not interested in a monitor of this resolution and size, more IPS panels on the market can only be a good thing but sadly this just doesn't look to be one.

Sadly, some guy's photos on Oc aren't end-alls.

Vertical gamma/color shift and inverted colors when viewed from below, THE characteristic of a TN panel is a strange questionable detail that isn't really interesting?
Doesnt matter. Even if that pic was correctly taken it still is highly unlikely that it is TN. As allready said in this topic we know for sure according to specs that this IPS-panel has less good vertical viewingangle (168*). Someone also posted more detailed information about the panel but you just dont listen.

You take one piece of information and believe you have it all instead of looking at the whole picture. Why do I get a feeling that you always believe in conspiracies?

Guys, is this really IPS panel or some cheap TN ?

Well, it's definately NOT a cheap TN.

Nobody's positive what it is right now, mate. We're hoping for IPS, but there's evidence both ways. It is most definately not a low end TN. At worst, high end TN.

You are forgetting that technology constantly changes so it's wrong to compare their panel with allready excisting & older panels. You basicly say LG is lying but I do not know them to stoop this low so I'm going to assume that you are prolly missing out on an important detail. Afteral it is not IPS, it is enhanced IPS wich is a downgrade from standard IPS making it just a little better then a TN panel. Because LG claims it has 14ms wich is quite impossible for standard TN panel wich are much faster. I know company strategy well enough to know that they wouldn't bring out a monitor in 2011 with technology of 6 years ago wich would make them lose a lot of terrain on the market and would end their trust with their consumers. Highly unprobable
In this basic regard, it isn't. Regardless of whatever dumb electrode layout that LG uses in order to increase transmittance or improve contrast, it is STILL (unfortunately) the same old principle. Maybe they could apply a polarizer afterwards which could somehow cause inversion of colors. That'll be my hope, until someone disassembles their monitor to locate the panel part no. :D

Yea, right. :eek:

So a guess by a guy (Walker) who does not even own the monitor, is more reliable than the producer it self, the resellers and other reliable sources?

Sorry but I must laugh!

The producer is saying different things; LG Japan says it's TN, and LG USA says IPS.

So personally, I don't view LG as being particularly reliable on this, when either they're using very different panels for the same model monitor in different countries(which is certainly possible), or they're giving the wrong specs in one market.

As to resellers; they pretty much list whatever info the manufacturer gives them. It's not like Amazon tests all the incoming products to make sure they match up with the spec sheet.

For me, whether this is TN or IPS, the color inversion shown in Ocnewb's pic when compared with his original wallpaper(which I've included below for anyone interested) is very unappealing to me. Perhaps if there is no color shift except at extreme angles, then I'll consider this monitor. But color inversion is why I dislike TN panels so much, so after seeing that picture, I'm going to wait for a pro review, at the very least.

Is there an LG Japan citation that isn't old as hell?

Color inversion seems minimal from above and from the sides. I'm not often under my monitor, so Ocnewb's pics don't worry me... But the apparent gamma shift does.

Is there an LG Japan citation that isn't old as hell?

Well, the product page on LG's Japanese site currently lists it as TN. Even if that's considered an old reference, I said they are calling it one thing in one country, and something else in another, which they are.

I got mine today. I'm thinking if it is a TN I may just return it. It looks good though. I haven't check the angles though. Not sure I will because I'd rather just wait for LG to clarify if they ever do.:eek:

I do notice on a pure black screen two very light areas one at about a third of the way down from the top and one a third up from the bottom all the way across the screen. Also there is a darker area in the middle of the screen only on a black background. I don't notice any of this when viewing actual programs and games. I don't see any backlight bleeding at least that I can tell.

Wow, some people here are in serious denial. The pictures show all THREE characteristics of TN panels:

1. Yellowing at extreme horizontal angles (Image)
2. Color inversion when looking from below (Image)
3. Vertical gamma shift (Image)

The problem is he keeps using bright colorful images that makes the gamma shift harder to notice, but it's there if you look closely. For example, this image is visibly darker at the top than at the bottom. Also, the distance the pictures are taken will have an effect on how strong the gamma shift appears.

dorino said:
Nobody's positive what it is right now, mate. We're hoping for IPS, but there's evidence both ways. It is most definately not a low end TN. At worst, high end TN.
There is not evidence both ways. This is 100% for sure a TN panel.

Maybe they are pulling the panel lottery crap like they used to do with the IPS/VA panels (2007s and TN 226BW TN variations) and are now doing with TVs?

Maybe they are pulling the panel lottery crap like they used to do with the IPS/VA panels (2007s and TN 226BW TN variations) and are now doing with TVs?

That is what I am possibly thinking with the the whole "TBD" panel thing.

Well, the product page on LG's Japanese site currently lists it as TN. Even if that's considered an old reference, I said they are calling it one thing in one country, and something else in another, which they are.

What people should be looking for is info on LG's Korean site, since the headquarters is in Seoul.

So there is such as thing as a 14ms TN panel?

Also found this interesting though I have not read it all.

Also has anyone bought one of these LG E2370V-BF and compared the viewing angles. It also has 14ms.

I had the IPS236v for 2 days, was DEFINITELY an IPS panel, had it next to an LG L227WTG-pf which is TN, picture was beautiful, viewing angles were great, had to return it though, top right of the screen was damaged, like it was dropped.

Wow, some people here are in serious denial. The pictures show all THREE characteristics of TN panels:

1. Yellowing at extreme horizontal angles (Image)
2. Color inversion when looking from below (Image)
3. Vertical gamma shift (Image)

The problem is he keeps using bright colorful images that makes the gamma shift harder to notice, but it's there if you look closely. For example, this image is visibly darker at the top than at the bottom. Also, the distance the pictures are taken will have an effect on how strong the gamma shift appears.

There is not evidence both ways. This is 100% for sure a TN panel.

You're being selective.
Nobody's in denial, but nobody is sure.

Ocnewb's pics are not definitive. They need to stop being brought up and we need to get a professional review instead. -_-

You're being selective.

Exactly.

The blacks are amazing on E2770V so it has to be S-PVA!! :D
The american flag fluttered on the moon despite there is no wind there so the man never landed on the moon!:D
Some explosions were seen from World Trade Center during 9/11 so George W. Bush must have ordered the attacks! :D

You're being selective.

You and others are missing the point. At 178/168 or 170/160 viewing angles, it doesn't matter. There is a weakness in the vertical viewing angle relative to the horizontal. This is characteristic of only TN. There is no disagreement here between posters who aspire to an understanding of LCD technology.

ALL POSTERS BELOW THIS LINE CLAIMING THAT THIS MONITOR MIGHT BE IPS WILL BE REQUIRED UPON INDEPENDENT CLOSURE OF THE MATTER TO POST A RETRACTION.
==================================================================================

You and others are missing the point. At 178/168 or 170/160 viewing angles, it doesn't matter. There is a weakness in the vertical viewing angle relative to the horizontal. This is characteristic of only TN. There is no disagreement here between posters who aspire to an understanding of LCD technology.

ALL POSTERS BELOW THIS LINE CLAIMING THAT THIS MONITOR MIGHT BE IPS WILL BE REQUIRED UPON INDEPENDENT CLOSURE OF THE MATTER TO POST A RETRACTION.
==================================================================================

IPS

You and others are missing the point. At 178/168 or 170/160 viewing angles, it doesn't matter. There is a weakness in the vertical viewing angle relative to the horizontal. This is characteristic of only TN.

You are missing the point.

You select one behaviour that suits your conspiracy theory and denies everything else.

As I wrote above. Great blacks is characteristic for PVA panels only. So this means that LG E2770V is PVA!?

because his camera is bad?

I don't understand how you can argue like that. If it was just one image, perhaps, but if you look at the pictures shown on page 8, it looks like the only time his camera was bad, was when he was taking pictures of solids that TNs have problems with. Talk about "convenient behaviour to support conspiracy theories", eh?

It looks cheap to me. I don't care if it's TN or IPS, it looks cheap, and I'm definitely not getting one.

Oh, and as a response to "but it says in the specs"-argument, I'd like to quote the movie Anchorman, when our "heroes" get the news of a new female anchor: "It's anchorMAN, not anchorLADY, and that is a scientific fact!" Just because it says it's an IPS in early specs, does that mean it can't have been changed? And if it hasn't, it sounds to me like another gamble like with some of the newer Dells (including my own horrible U2311 with its annoying way of reproducing dark colours).

Excuse me if I take you on your words sir... but...

It looks cheap to me. I don't care if it's TN or IPS, it looks cheap, and I'm definitely not getting one.

Are you saying that you won't buy one because the panel looks cheap (looks that way if I read what you said)...
Isn't it a good thing? Because everything that doesn't look cheap is usualy too expensive for some reason, and therefor not necessarily worth more of your money (that would be like spending more money on brands when they aren't necessarily better). I would advice everyone here to wait for a descent review because right now we could keep this debate going and no one would realy have a confirmation wether they are right or wrong.

Oh, and as a response to "but it says in the specs"-argument, I'd like to quote the movie Anchorman, when our "heroes" get the news of a new female anchor: "It's anchorMAN, not anchorLADY, and that is a scientific fact!" Just because it says it's an IPS in early specs, does that mean it can't have been changed? And if it hasn't, it sounds to me like another gamble like with some of the newer Dells (including my own horrible U2311 with its annoying way of reproducing dark colours).

It is also a fact that the female gender has always been discriminated as if they do not excist or like they are less worthy then a man. To me they are equal so even if science or the dictionary sais so, to me it is still Anchorlady.
I realise that it was obviously just an example that you pulled out to compare TN with IPS, but even still I find it the same type of judging that I do not agree with, looks can deceive, wait till it is properly tested and upon the result you can still point out wether you like it or not. No point doing it pre-maturily. But ofcourse it is your opinion and I respect that, but don't you agree it would be wise to just wait a little longer? Just saying...

You are missing the point.

You select one behaviour that suits your conspiracy theory and denies everything else.

As I wrote above. Great blacks is characteristic for PVA panels only. So this means that LG E2770V is PVA!?

hmm it sais e-IPS on LG's site and some other sites just refer to it as IPS (mainly because they don't know the diffirence or because they know it will increase demand) but do you think they would pick a PVA panel?
That doesn't explain why they refer to it as e-IPS unless IPS has always been a tuned up PVA panel.. but I doubt that..

Hmm it has been a while since I've seen an answer so short make so much sense ^^
I guess I should thank you for not wasting our time.
ALL data out there all points out to a low grade enhanced IPS panel so for now we should believe it, but let us wait before purchase to make sure (people could be lying but there's no point assuming everyone automaticly is).
Thank you for enlighting us Peteman100 :p

Has anyone who bougt this monitor noticed any lag during games btw?

Last edited:
I got mine today. I'm thinking if it is a TN I may just return it. It looks good though. I haven't check the angles though. Not sure I will because I'd rather just wait for LG to clarify if they ever do.:eek:
To me, this is what's going wrong in this thread. You either like the monitor or you don't. You're waiting for some sort of semantic branding to be applied to it as if it would make a difference. The monitor isn't going to change. You have it in your possession--look at it and determine if it's acceptable to you.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if LG calls this an "IPS". It certainly has many of the negative characteristics of a TN panel, so it's worth avoiding if you're against that sort of thing.

To me, this is what's going wrong in this thread. You either like the monitor or you don't. You're waiting for some sort of semantic branding to be applied to it as if it would make a difference. The monitor isn't going to change. You have it in your possession--look at it and determine if it's acceptable to you.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if LG calls this an "IPS". It certainly has many of the negative characteristics of a TN panel, so it's worth avoiding if you're against that sort of thing.

Depends... if you get what you pay for I do not see a problem since that would actualy be a huge improvement on the monitor market today ^^

Exactly. As I said earlier, it's as if some people would be happy enough to know there is an IPS panel inside regardless of whether it actually performs like one or it's just a TN renamed to xIPS in the specs sheet. Why return the monitor if it looks good to you? Why not check the viewing angles and take a photo of the lagom viewing angle test to help the people who are annoyed by TN color inconsistencies? So far the only thing that points to this being an IPS are the strange and unusual specs on US LG website. Everything else points to a TN - the monitor in pictures is a TN, nowhere on the box or packaging does it mention IPS so unless there really is some crazy panel lottery going on, which would still suck, it isn't looking good.

I do notice on a pure black screen two very light areas one at about a third of the way down from the top and one a third up from the bottom all the way across the screen. Also there is a darker area in the middle of the screen only on a black background. I don't notice any of this when viewing actual programs and games. I don't see any backlight bleeding at least that I can tell.

Do us all a favour and be a hero! Take the back off and tell us the panel label on there so we know once and for all!

@Walker. What are you doing in this thread? You obviously are not intrested in the display so post somewhere else. It is strange that you always end up posting in threads which you have no intrest in what so ever.

hmm it sais e-IPS on LG's site and some other sites just refer to it as IPS (mainly because they don't know the diffirence or because they know it will increase demand) but do you think they would pick a PVA panel?
That doesn't explain why they refer to it as e-IPS unless IPS has always been a tuned up PVA panel.. but I doubt that..

I definitely dont think it is a PVA-panel but I just try to show that you can get to the most strange conclusions if you are as selective as Walker.

It is most definitely is an IPS panel.

I definitely dont think it is a PVA-panel but I just try to show that you can get to the most strange conclusions if you are as selective as Walker.

I am aware that not all panels are the same and therefor you cannot compare them without actualy seeing them in action.

Back