LG E2770V - 27 inch with IPS-panel ?

You guys need to chill out.....

Certainly seems to be some color inversion but not nearly as much as most TN panels. All other characteristics point to IPS though. Pretty strange.

I'm really curious about this LCD. $420 for a 27" IPS monitor is super tempting, even though it is only 1080p. They really should have included Displayport with all the new Radeons having DP.

Somebody buy it and report back. I already own 6 LCDs, including the 20wmgx2 and 3x2209wa's and a crappy Asus vw266H. I just don't think my wife would understand if I bought it.

You guys need to chill out.....

Certainly seems to be some color inversion but not nearly as much as most TN panels. All other characteristics point to IPS though. Pretty strange.

True, won't take long before someone learns how to compose a deadly sentence which kills you when you read it ;)

Right now no one is realy sure so everyone is basicly sharing opinions but a fact is that LG themselves claim their monitor is IPS (I don't think LG would lie about it) and someone said earlier that there is no e-IPS and yet in the link he gave me (wiki) it clearly talks about enhanched IPS wich is obviously the full term for e-IPS.
They mention 14ms for this monitor but I read that this monitor uses a function to lower input lag and this might aswell be this specific panel if you read the explenation in the wiki.
So please people don't offend eachother when you do not agree, when they might make a point.

Yea you guys are babies. I just chatted with a CS from LG and he 'said' he would contact the factory and get back to me. So maybe we'll get a definitive answer. I have one arriving today and one reason I bought it was I think/thought it has a IPS panel. Newegg states that, but they've had other mis info on item before. I think with 14m I don't know how it could be a TN.

Here's how I always tell the panel type, quickly: Flash the screen orange. Just use UDPixel or something.

If there's a gradient, it's likely TN. Gradients appear very clearly on orange on TN panels, more so than with other colors.

All in all, this monitor looks amazing. Just what I'm looking for if it doesn't exhibit that nasty gradient effect/gamma shift! :D

It sums up the controversy, doesn't resolve it. It looks like whomever wrote it just read through this thread and the thread at oc.

At the very least they, along with other Hard forumites, are checking in with LG to make sure, once and for all, what exactly the panel type is.

Yeah, what we really need is a legitimate review by a reputable site. Anything else is just conjecture at this point.

It would be so strange of them to have an IPS panel and not advertise it. They have 4 other LCDs that DO have IPS panels all advertise it on the box. I checked the newegg link and the pics they have of the box show nothing about being IPS.

The model itself, E2770v seems to indicate ips, because the E2370 is IPS. Why name it that and not be IPS.

Well, the e-IPS panel in 27" and 1080 exist: LM270WF1: http://www.pdfsea.com/down/down.php?downid=37447&id=0 (hope that the link works)

Worst case horizontal viewing angles are 85+85 deg=170 deg.
Worst case vertical viewing angles are 75+85 deg = 160 deg.

Seems to match so-so with what LG promises regarding the E2770v - at least it now stated that it can in fact still be IPS and have less than 178 degrees H/V viewing angles. Seems a bit funny, that the data sheet is from july 2008... nearly three years ago now :D

EDIT: In the General Description in the PDF they state that the display operation mode is "Normally Black", meaning that it is at least not TN. But in the General Features table on the same page, the display operation mode is suddenly "normally white" meaning TN.... :confused:

Last edited:
I could understand some TN info being out there -- It was, when announced, going to be a TN panel, after all. Then they started saying IPS.

I can understand the viewing angles being lower -- It is a bigger screen.

I don't understand why they are being so evasive about what the panel technology is.

I'm waiting for this to settle down before I buy a panel. I'm probably going to get this LG E2770V-BF or an Asus VE278Q.

It would be so strange of them to have an IPS panel and not advertise it. They have 4 other LCDs that DO have IPS panels all advertise it on the box. I checked the newegg link and the pics they have of the box show nothing about being IPS.

The model itself, E2770v seems to indicate ips, because the E2370 is IPS. Why name it that and not be IPS.

Maybe they realized that distributors weren't marketing the panel, and it was wasted effort? After all, "IPS? What's that?" -> "I have no idea, Ma'am, this is a day job."

I don't understand why they are being so evasive about what the panel technology is.

I'm waiting for this to settle down before I buy a panel. I'm probably going to get this LG E2770V-BF or an Asus VE278Q.

LG isn't being evasive, just mysterious ;)

Well, the e-IPS panel in 27" and 1080 exist: LM270WF1: http://www.pdfsea.com/down/down.php?downid=37447&id=0 (hope that the link works)

Seems to match so-so with what LG promises regarding the E2770v - at least it now stated that it can in fact still be IPS and have less than 178 degrees H/V viewing angles. Seems a bit funny, that the data sheet is from july 2008... nearly three years ago now :D

EDIT: In the General Description in the PDF they state that the display operation mode is "Normally Black", meaning that it is at least not TN. But in the General Features table on the same page, the display operation mode is suddenly "normally white" meaning TN.... :confused:
I am sure it is IPS too. Will be very intresting to read a professional review of it.

I'm afraid the LM270WF1 is TN Film. The specs clearly show this as well with 5ms response time (2ms G2G) and 170/160 viewing angles. I can't see any mention of IPS there. It's one of their oldest 27" panels so if it were IPS we would have seen it used a long time ago I'm sure.

I hope some of you now have the proof they need because you certainly didn't believe me when I said the same...but ofcourse I didn't have the persuasive link given above.

Hmm... I'm extremely sorry to backstab anyone like this, but i'm afraid some idiots at LG are trying to muddy the waters on purpose. This sort of "mistake" between black and white is apparent in many data sheets.
The LM270WF1 is apparently used in HP 2709m, BenQ M2700HD and a few others - at least according to this list: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/search.php?query=&select=model and a little google searching. If this is true, it is a TN panel. :(
A google search also revealed that the monitor part no. has been brought up in this thread before :|

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

These are supposed to be pics of a solid background. Looks like a TN for sure, or a TN performing IPS in which case it doesn't really matter whether it is IPS or not ;)

has anyone also confirmed if there is really 120Hz TruMotion support as the initial findings from the guy on the other forum suggested he couldnt find it?

Oh Oled and SXTC, Walker is your mom and she just took you to school in the car of pain.

Say it.

Stop being the ridicolous. That doesnt say anything. The guy says hes cameralightning was fucked up.

Your claims also contradicts by these pics. which you for some reason choosed not to show.
IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

Last edited:
Oled and SXTC, you're both suffering from serious reality distortion. Besides your other pitiful attempts to disprove the fact this is a TN panel, there's (of course) a perfect explanation why solid fills with pure RGB primaries, secondaries or white don't show the gradient effect. Every recent TN panel can do this. Still, I don't care to explain that in detail since you won't care.

Didn't want to read through all of these again, but their .pdf does say
Equipped IPS display technology
users can view smooth and clear images from virtually any angle, see it for yourself.

Though the 'panel type' says TBD. I'm beginning to think this is an IPS and they at one point weren't sure what panel it would so 'TBD' was put in there and just hasn't been updated. Specs usually come early on, but marketing comes later (.pdfs and boxes). I know it doesn't say IPS on the boxes so not sure what's up with that unless they thought it was confusing the consumer who are not in the know on this stuff. :confused:

And Nashbirne why are you so hell bent on this not being an IPS? More things point to it than don't.

I've been to Korea a few times. My wife is Korean. So next time I go I'm going to go to LG's main HQ and beat someone up about this.:D

Last edited:
Oled and SXTC, you're both suffering from serious reality distortion. Besides your other pitiful attempts to disprove the fact this is a TN panel, there's (of course) a perfect explanation why solid fills with pure RGB primaries, secondaries or white don't show the gradient effect. Every recent TN panel can do this. Still, I don't care to explain that in detail since you won't care.

I do not understand why you have to be so rude when the proof is right in front of you. Links were given to prove that this LG does have an IPS panel and because you still do not agree you think your next move should be to insult some of us?
We are just here trying to help solve a mystery so there's no point fighting eachother when we should be working together on this.

TFTCentral:

"We recently announced details of a forthcoming 27” model from LG, their E2770V. At the time the information from LG suggested this was an IPS panel, but recent developments have led to a lot of confusion as to what technology is actually being used, with the possibility emerging that this is in fact a TN Film panel. It’s an interesting topic and I thought it would be useful to summarise the varying arguments here. We are also trying to clarify with LG once and for all so will report back when we know more."

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/23.htm#lg_e2770v_tech

EDIT: Oh sorry, you already seen this.. im a little slow today :)

I do not understand why you have to be so rude when the proof is right in front of you. Links were given to prove that this LG does have an IPS panel and because you still do not agree you think your next move should be to insult some of us?
We are just here trying to help solve a mystery so there's no point fighting eachother when we should be working together on this.

I'm not siding either way in the IPS vs TN discussion, but just to say that there hasn't been any proof of a 1920x1080 res 27" IPS panel yet. The WF1 panel linked earlier is NOT IPS but TN film

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

These are supposed to be pics of a solid background. Looks like a TN for sure, or a TN performing IPS in which case it doesn't really matter whether it is IPS or not ;)

The OP of the thread on OC said these pics couldn't be trusted, and that it was his camera. He said, in real life, there is no gamma shift visible.

The pics are useless as a result, right now. :p

I'm not siding either way in the IPS vs TN discussion, but just to say that there hasn't been any proof of a 1920x1080 res 27" IPS panel yet. The WF1 panel linked earlier is NOT IPS but TN film

True and depressing. Likewise, no one has been able to conclude it is a TN film, either. We shall see!

@avec
Are you referring to this thread? It clearly proves the E2770V uses a TN panel after all... I'm not surprised, though. As member Deckard26354 pointed out 2 pages ago, there has only been contradictory and vague information about the panel type till now, despite of what dealers product descriptions claim.

Clearly, not so much. It's definately not a high end IPS, but the vertical viewing angles suffering doesn't confirm a thing!

If it was an IPS panel, the crystal structure would always twist in-plane, no matter what voltage is applied to each sub-pixel, i.e. in-plane compared to the panel surface. With TN panels, the twisting occurs so, that it is possible to see both sides of the crystal structure if viewing the display at an angle. It is not a problem with white color, while black is the worst scenario, where the structure is twisted nearly vertically - like illustrated here: http://www.mirai.eu/images/glossary_item_images/44/tn_film.jpg

A color inversion, as posted by someone else, is not physically possible with an IPS panel.

The orange image above that is darker at the top and lighter at the bottom. If indeed something was up with his camera, why would the red and green colors appear fine? Twisting the camera 90 degrees and redoing the image would tell us if it is the camera or if the monitor actually looks like that.

If it was an IPS panel, the crystal structure would always twist in-plane, no matter what voltage is applied to each sub-pixel, i.e. in-plane compared to the panel surface. With TN panels, the twisting occurs so, that it is possible to see both sides of the crystal structure if viewing the display at an angle. It is not a problem with white color, while black is the worst scenario, where the structure is twisted nearly vertically - like illustrated here: http://www.mirai.eu/images/glossary_item_images/44/tn_film.jpg

A color inversion, as posted by someone else, is not physically possible with an IPS panel.

The orange image above that is darker at the top and lighter at the bottom. If indeed something was up with his camera, why would the red and green colors appear fine? Twisting the camera 90 degrees and redoing the image would tell us if it is the camera or if the monitor actually looks like that.

You are forgetting that technology constantly changes so it's wrong to compare their panel with allready excisting & older panels. You basicly say LG is lying but I do not know them to stoop this low so I'm going to assume that you are prolly missing out on an important detail. Afteral it is not IPS, it is enhanced IPS wich is a downgrade from standard IPS making it just a little better then a TN panel. Because LG claims it has 14ms wich is quite impossible for standard TN panel wich are much faster. I know company strategy well enough to know that they wouldn't bring out a monitor in 2011 with technology of 6 years ago wich would make them lose a lot of terrain on the market and would end their trust with their consumers. Highly unprobable

because his camera is bad?

Back