LG E2770V - 27 inch with IPS-panel ?

So, if this frame interpolation feature screws with the input lag or some other performance of this monitor, is it likely that it will be able to be turned off?

It is possible their new technology allows the same performance through alternative ways I guess... or maybe their is a serious glitch/shortcomming to keep in mind so lets wait for the revieuw (or hopefully a reply to my mail).

The price is actually very realistic if you consider it is 1080p. With that resolution they can cut costs in a totally other way than with 2560*1440 monitors.

IPS 23 inch screens are about 30% more expensive than TN:s so 400$ for a 1080p 27 inch IPS sounds rather normal considering a TN 27 inch 1080p cost less than 300$.

Hopefully you get reply soon! :)

oh crap !!!
after waiting I finaly got a response from LG saying "keep looking at our site, we cannot give you a release date yet" XD Isn't that F*c*ing annoying???

Yes, it is half the price of any other 27 inch IPS out there.

This is likely the introduction of a new e-IPS panel, 27" diagonal. It's half the price of any other 27" IPS out there because it's got significantly smaller resolution, is likely (but not certainly) a 6-bit panel with dithering, and is cerrrtainly not going to have much in the way of color correction.

It's competition with the 23" monitor segment and the 32" TV segment more than the 27" 2560x1440 monitor niche.

This is likely the introduction of a new e-IPS panel, 27" diagonal. It's half the price of any other 27" IPS out there because it's got significantly smaller resolution, is likely (but not certainly) a 6-bit panel with dithering, and is cerrrtainly not going to have much in the way of color correction.

Yes, and it also could set an interesting precedent of motion compensation in monitor size displays.

It's competition with the 23" monitor segment and the 32" TV segment more than the 27" 2560x1440 monitor niche.

Yes, obviously but it is also in another pricerange.

2560*1440 is primarly for professional work but for the first time we have a big IPS screen suitable for webbrowsing, gaming, movies, and personal work. I think 2560*1440 is overkill for most people so this change to 1080p 27" IPS is very welcome.

oh crap !!!
after waiting I finaly got a response from LG saying "keep looking at our site, we cannot give you a release date yet" XD Isn't that F*c*ing annoying???

Yep, I dont hope we have to wait long to get a releasedate.

Still, Thank you for mailing them and asking.

Yes, obviously but it is also in another pricerange.

2560*1440 is primarly for professional work but for the first time we have a big IPS screen suitable for webbrowsing, gaming, movies, and personal work. I think 2560*1440 is overkill for most people so this change to 1080p 27" IPS is very welcome.

Exactly. Nothing I do requires color management but extra screen real estate is always welcome! Especially at $400.... I just hope these new panels end up looking good.

Exactly. Nothing I do requires color management but extra screen real estate is always welcome! Especially at $400.... I just hope these new panels end up looking good.

The only issue could be LG's traditional use of aggressive coating on their panels. That might be a downer for some who are sensitive to that. Otherwise, I am really interested in this and the PLS 24 inch monitor from Samsung.

from TFTCentral

"LG have recently released details on their website about a new 27” model in their range. The E2770V boasts a large screen size and IPS panel technology. The screen has been aimed at gamers it seems with several interesting features and specs to note.

The panel offers a 1920 x 1080 resolution first of all, and so this is not one of the current 27” IPS modules that are commonly used since those are higher 2560 x 1440 resolutions. It looks as if this will be a new module from LG.Display, probably part of their e-IPS range. The screen offers a reported 14ms response time according to LG’s website, but some sources have also mentioned a 6ms G2G response time. You would hope that RTC technology has been used to boost pixel responsiveness if this is aimed at gamers. LG are also touting its ‘Super LED’ backlighting unit which also allows them to boast a 5 million:1 dynamic contrast ratio. The panel will be W-LED backlit of course and DCR figures should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

For gamers there is a Thru Mode option available, designed to bypass internal electronics and reduce input lag. LG have also incorporated their 120Hz TruMotion technology here which is normally reserved for LCD TV’s and not commonly used in desktop monitors. As opposed to a true 120Hz screen (which would also support 3D content), this is an interpolated 120Hz. It’s operation involves Motion Estimated Motion Compensation (MEMC) which “estimates” intermediate frames and inserts them in between the normal 60 frames being produced from a normal 60Hz signal. This creates an interpolated 120 frames which is designed to improve perceived motion blur. It has been used for a considerable amount of time in LCD TV’s, with further versions giving rise to higher frequencies such as 240Hz TruMotion through other techniques. It’s good to see 120Hz TruMotion included in a desktop monitor for a change, although buyers should be wary of the differences compared to a true 120Hz input and support.

The specs for the E2770V are as below:

Size

Resolution

Response Time

Contrast Ratio

Dynamic CR

Brightness
(cd/m2)

Viewing Angles

Colour
Depth

Panel
Tech

Ergo-nomics

Interfaces

27"WS
1920 x 1080
14ms (6ms G2G?)
178/178 16.7m
2x HDMI, D-sub, DVI-D"
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/23.htm#lg_e2770v

I don't believe this is actually an IPS panel. On LG's Japanese site (http://www.lg.com/jp/it-product/monitor/LG-16-9-wide-E2770V-BF.jsp) it lists the panel type as TN. Then looking at LG's US site, while the specs and "Key Features" for E2370V list an IPS panel type, the E2770V says TBD(presumably, "to be determined") in specs and doesn't have IPS in the key features. Also, when looking at the list of all their monitors(http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/monitors/index.jsp?value=ALL), IPS monitors such as E2370V and IPS236V have an "IPS" graphic over their tumbnail, but the E2770V does not. These same differences are true when comparing the PDF spec sheets for the two monitors (http://www.lg.com/us/products/documents/LG%20Monitors%20E2370V-BF%20spec%20sheet.pdf vs http://www.lg.com/us/products/documents/LG_HE_IT_SS_E2770V.pdf), the only mention of IPS for the 27 is in the questionable phase "The ultimate in LG Monitor displays is now available with the E70. Equipped IPS display technology
users can view smooth and clear images from virtually any angle, see it for yourself.", where the 23 repeatedly states that it's an IPS monitor.

Lastly, I even found some tech sites that make it clear like: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ces2011/7.htm, which said "The E2370V is 23" and classified as an entertainment monitor, with D-sub, DVI-D, HDMI, and headphone out ports. But most importantly, it's an IPS panel. The E2770V is 27" and classified as a gaming monitor, with the same ports as the E2370V, but a second HDMI. Unfortunately, no IPS display this time around, but rather your standard TN panel."

I don't believe this is actually an IPS panel. On LG's Japanese site (http://www.lg.com/jp/it-product/monitor/LG-16-9-wide-E2770V-BF.jsp) it lists the panel type as TN. Then looking at LG's US site, while the specs and "Key Features" for E2370V list an IPS panel type, the E2770V says TBD(presumably, "to be determined") in specs and doesn't have IPS in the key features. Also, when looking at the list of all their monitors(http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/monitors/index.jsp?value=ALL), IPS monitors such as E2370V and IPS236V have an "IPS" graphic over their tumbnail, but the E2770V does not. These same differences are true when comparing the PDF spec sheets for the two monitors (http://www.lg.com/us/products/documents/LG%20Monitors%20E2370V-BF%20spec%20sheet.pdf vs http://www.lg.com/us/products/documents/LG_HE_IT_SS_E2770V.pdf), the only mention of IPS for the 27 is in the questionable phase "The ultimate in LG Monitor displays is now available with the E70. Equipped IPS display technology
users can view smooth and clear images from virtually any angle, see it for yourself.", where the 23 repeatedly states that it's an IPS monitor.

Lastly, I even found some tech sites that make it clear like: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ces2011/7.htm, which said "The E2370V is 23" and classified as an entertainment monitor, with D-sub, DVI-D, HDMI, and headphone out ports. But most importantly, it's an IPS panel. The E2770V is 27" and classified as a gaming monitor, with the same ports as the E2370V, but a second HDMI. Unfortunately, no IPS display this time around, but rather your standard TN panel."

So you believe more in a an old source from January than trusted sites today? Strange...

Newegg and Amazon label it as IPS so sure it is.

And TFTcentral and PCMonitors.org made it pretty clear that it is IPS!

The responsetime also make it pretty obvious that it is IPS!

@Deckard

Your first post ever on this forum is very strange btw. Do you work for Samsung?

Stop deceiving people with false information.

Last edited:
Bit of a low resolution for a 27" panel these days, but that is a nice price....unfortunately, I could never even consider this panel unless we get people in here swearing up and down that the anti-glare is a huge improvement over LG's other offerings... I'll probably continue to hold out for the Samsung SA850.

All of purchase page promo material list it as having an IPS panel. Lying would be very bad for them, at this point.

I think it has got something to do with their new technology, you can clearly see that vieuwing angles aren't equal like it should so maybe they decreased some performance and used it elsewhere using this new technology.... just a thought..

@Deckard

Your first post ever on this forum is very strange btw. Do you work for Samsung?

Stop deceiving people with false information.

No doubt

Is there a reason why I keep bumping upon tests that do not include 1920x1080?
This keeps happening everywhere... I see tests based on 1920x1200 though... does this mean they aren't planning on stick with 1080p over 1200p anyway???
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_6950_Twin_Frozr_II/15.html

hmm I just noticed that this LG only has 1 year warrant....this concerns me.. it's like saying "test something experimental for us, we won't pay you back if we were wrong about it" XD

Last edited:
Is there a reason why I keep bumping upon tests that do not include 1920x1080?
This keeps happening everywhere... I see tests based on 1920x1200 though... does this mean they aren't planning on stick with 1080p over 1200p anyway???

The guy who did that benchmark was just very conservative just as some others on this forums.

However 16:9 is the standard and 16:10 will never come back. The only real alternative in our lifetime that may compete with 16:9 in the future is 21:9.

I really wouldn't be able to use this monitor without a third party stand. Kind of a shame -- it doesn't appear to have any height or much tilt adjustment.

Maybe the next manufacturer to use the panel will provide a bit more flexibility.

I really wouldn't be able to use this monitor without a third party stand. Kind of a shame -- it doesn't appear to have any height or much tilt adjustment.

Maybe the next manufacturer to use the panel will provide a bit more flexibility.

And displayport!

So we're not sure this is an IPS panel? I want the damn thing if it is.

So we're not sure this is an IPS panel? I want the damn thing if it is.

The panel itself is e-IPS and is designed for 1920x1080p when IPS is usualy meant for 2560x1440 wich is obviously why this monitor is cheaper then other IPS screens.

Buy it and be a guinea pig for us.

Thinking about it.:eek: To be honest with you at that resolution I have trouble seeing some things. I'm not a spring chicken anymore.

I just got a new 24" HP at work and it's tuff seeing some icons at 1900 x 1200.

Thinking about it.:eek: To be honest with you at that resolution I have trouble seeing some things. I'm not a spring chicken anymore.

I just got a new 24" HP at work and it's tuff seeing some icons at 1900 x 1200.

The 27" should be perfect then, since roughly the same number of pixels will be scaled up over a much larger area than the 24"

So newegg does not have a pixel policy now? It just says 30 days replacement or return.

So newegg does not have a pixel policy now? It just says 30 days replacement or return.

They still do have a pixel policy (and a pretty bad one). Refer to newegg's Return Policy page:

"The following conditions are not acceptable for return, and will result in the merchandise being returned to you:
* Any LCD screen that has less than 8 dead pixels"

This would override anything that is on individual pages.

Even if it's a 'Monitors Standard Return Policy'

Monitor Standard Return Policy

Return for refund within: 30 days
Return for replacement within: 30 days
Restocking Fee: yes

This is our Standard 30-Day Return Policy. Items covered by this policy (those products for which Newegg states "This item may be returned for a replacement or refund within 30 days only") must be returned to Newegg within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA.

The following conditions are not acceptable for return, and will result in the merchandise being returned to you:

Any monitor that has been found to be damaged due to physical abuse or misuse.

"The following conditions are not acceptable for return, and will result in the merchandise being returned to you:

I cannot find this. What is it under on that page. It's really hard to find.

the frame interpolation inserts really blurry pictures that have little to do with how the next frame is gonna look
in addition the frame interpolation often is totally wrong and still goes to the left while the next real frame is already going to the right for example (can only be prevented with minimum 2-3 frames of lag)

This is for TVs larger than 37" not monitors.

gman said:
This is for TVs larger than 37" not monitors.

Note that it is in neither the TV section nor the monitor section; it's in the Bulk Item section, and Bulk Item is defined as "(including but not limited to such items as Air Conditioners, Televisions larger than 37 inches, Home Entertainment Systems and Refrigerators)".

"but not limited to" allows them to cover anything they want with that section. "Any LCD screen" would cover all LCD monitors and all LCD TVs regardless of size. Do you wanna bet Newegg isn't going to apply it the way I am reading it?

I don't know do I want to bet? Then why have a 'Monitor Standard Return Policy' at all. It's very deceiving if that's how it works.

I've read elsewhere where someone had no problem returning one. Anyway, I asked Newegg before about their policy and was told that you could
return it. So, I think you may be reading more into this than should be. Now I guess they could be lying. Have you recently tried to return a monitor to them?

So is it a true 120HZ computer monitor or is it more like a Tv 120HZ monitor? I wonder if you would be getting 120 FPS in games..

Back