LG Display unveils 23-inch 240 Hz IPS panel

Second paragraph:

Even though LG mentions a 120 Hz frequency it’s not clear if LG is talking about a frame interpolation technology that calculates new image frames or a true 120 Hz processing panel, similar to the 120 Hz TN panels. No 3D support is mentioned in the press material either which could support the theory that it's a frame interpolation technology.

Sounds like a TV to me

Dave

Yeah, sounds like a TV, just like that Mitsubishi. Surely they're not going to try to bring this motion interpolation malarky to computer displays as well?

Yeah, sounds like a TV, just like that Mitsubishi. Surely they're not going to try to bring this motion interpolation malarky to computer displays as well?

Hopefully when they do this, they'll also omit all mention of true contrast ratio and just provide dynamic contrast spec. True monitor and TV convergence achieved...finally...:rolleyes:

This is more worthless 60Hz input garbage. Move along, nothing to see here.

Sounds like a smaller version of the there 3D TV sets. I seriously doubt its a "true" 120hz or 240hz but interpolation instead. I'd love to be wrong though so I'll be watching this set until I can find a more detailed break down of what its panel is really able to do. If it is the real deal I'll fucking sell a kidney and punch a baby right in the mouth to get it if thats what it takes :)

The 3D TVs however are refreshing at a true 240hz but its still kinda funky. I believe its 120hz per active shutter glass eye (versus 60hz for 3D gaming but hey if its extra it'll only be better).

reading the source makes me 90% sure its just the same old 60hz interpolation shit
so don't get your hopes up

240Hz is a dead giveaway that it is only 60Hz input. If it were 120Hz then it might be 120Hz input.

If there was a release of an actual 120Hz IPS monitor there would be a little more fanfare seeing as that would be a huge break through in display technology.

They are just bringing this TV frame interpolation crap to PC monitors.

"120Hz technology" "240Hz technology"
"However, the technology has mostly been applied to LCD panels for high-end TV"

its now 99%:
lg selling a tiny hdtv with 60hz motion interpolation for probably the price of a regular hdtv

If they truly eliminate the sample-and-hold problem it would look like a crt. That's the main cause of a permanent blur on even 120hz 2ms displays.

Now if this is a true 120hz display with a 5ms-6ms response time (E-IPS Speed), this could easily be the best gaming display ever made.

Theoretically with sample-and-hold nullified a 5-6ms display would look less blurry than a 2ms display. Unfortunately since they claim this is a feature on "higher-end TV's", it leads me to believe its just gimmicky frame interpolation.

I'm waiting to see the date and pricing on those four IPS monitors they announced a couple months ago:

IPS2062T
IPS226V
IPS236V
IPS231P

If they truly eliminate the sample-and-hold problem it would look like a crt. That's the main cause of a permanent blur on even 120hz 2ms displays.

Now if this is a true 120hz display with a 5ms-6ms response time (E-IPS Speed), this could easily be the best gaming display ever made.

Theoretically with sample-and-hold nullified a 5-6ms display would look less blurry than a 2ms display. Unfortunately since they claim this is a feature on "higher-end TV's", it leads me to believe its just gimmicky frame interpolation.
in my experience the scanning backlight helps seeing more fps and a sharper picture
but on 60hz it just makes everything choppy and is rather counter-productive

the 120hz upsampling in hdtvs unfortunately makes everything more smooth but also much more blurry
so doesn't really fit together
also adds way too much lag

Back