LG Display To Invest $8.7 Billion In OLED

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Let’s hope this move will push down the prices of OLED TVs further.

The company said it will spend an initial 1.84 trillion won to begin building the plant, called P10, in Paju, South Korea, to make panels across all product segments including large screens for TVs and flexible OLED panels for devices such as smartwatches and auto displays. Production is expected to begin in the first half of 2018.

I hope they work out how to reduce or eliminate the image persistence (burn-in) seen on current OLED displays.

When I'm in the market for a giant 4K display in a few years, maybe this investment will help? Good job, worst Korea.

I hope they work out how to reduce or eliminate the image persistence (burn-in) seen on current OLED displays.

I have one and there's no burn in yet. It ultimately depends on how you use it, but the risk of burn in is lower in OLED than it is in plasma. It's fine for a normal use tv. But I would definitely not want it for a phone or computer.

I have one and there's no burn in yet. It ultimately depends on how you use it, but the risk of burn in is lower in OLED than it is in plasma. It's fine for a normal use tv. But I would definitely not want it for a phone or computer.

Yeah, on my Droid turbo I got burn in from use of Waze. Not ideal.

I still think LCD's are going to be the preferred solution for computers for the foreseeable future until they figure out a way to eliminate burn-in.

Yeah my Lumia windows phone had burn in from the windows and back buttons on the bottom of the screen and I don't use my phone much and never for more than maybe 30 minutes at a time. Still a little wary of OLED but it sure does look nice.

It's good that OLED is being moved forward more seriously at last, and I'd like to see some other brands jump in as well (or jump back in, in Samsung's case).

Is it any worse than plasma? I love my plasma and it isn't an issue for me. There is IR, but it isn't permanent.

Is it any worse than plasma? I love my plasma and it isn't an issue for me. There is IR, but it isn't permanent.

It is no worse than plasma. Perhaps more resilient even. I've had 4-5 hour gaming sessions on my ec9300 with not a hint of IR. I keep the OLED light low though as I use it in a pitch black room. The store demos which have showed some IR all have maxed out the OLED light. I understand why they do it, but no one needs those kind of brightness levels in a home setting.

As for reduced color fidelity like the poster above mentioned? It is my understanding that LG's WRGB approach has no issue with that.

Not to mention, it makes no sense that a company like LG would be moving forward with a $8b investment if there were serious issues with burn in and longevity.

To my understanding LG's WRGB OLED should not have blue lifetime and burn in issues to be a real problem because all the oled pixels are white. It uses filters to change colors. AMOLED and RGB OLED, which both use individual colored oled pixels, will never be viable choice other than for phones and tablets. It gets too expensive as size grows and they have all the oled problems people talk about.

Zarathustra[H];1041998577 said:
Yeah, on my Droid turbo I got burn in from use of Waze. Not ideal.

I still think LCD's are going to be the preferred solution for computers for the foreseeable future until they figure out a way to eliminate burn-in.

Still rocking my DT I got at launch. I use Waze all the time. I don't see any IR or burn in. I do keep brightness at about 30%.

I just hope they manage to improve the resilience of the organic material, hate to see one of the colours deteriorate faster than the others.

Still rocking my DT I got at launch. I use Waze all the time. I don't see any IR or burn in. I do keep brightness at about 30%.

Then how do you see it when driving on sunny days? I had to max the brightness and even then it was tough to see in direct sunlight. At 30% I wouldn't have been able to see anything at all.

Over time it started to look like this:

19423545030_aeed0b895d.jpg

I'm still rocking my DT as well, but I used to use it naked and I broke the screen when I dropped it, so I took advantage of the one time free screen replacement program, after which I stopped using Waze on it. (I use Waze on my 2013 Nexus 7 now instead, as it has an LCD screen)

Only issue I have is them pushing their WRGB pixels. RGB is the standard for computer displays, and it's already been shown that WRGB can't properly display RGB information.

Only issue I have is them pushing their WRGB pixels. RGB is the standard for computer displays, and it's already been shown that WRGB can't properly display RGB information.

What do you mean? The WRGB here refers to how the pixels are structured, red green blue and white filters. Only way it differs from RGB pixels is that it has separate white to save the other pixels and to boost the brightness of blue pixel which would be darker otherwise.

Player 2 has entered the game...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-tx-65cz952-review

Waiting for player 3....

Not quite TWO INDEPENDENT PLAYERS.

This was just another WOLED panel from LG, with Panasonic's own special sauce.

Good to see another company adding their own take on what a TV should be, but I would like to see enough interest to spur another display maker into the fray. And Samsung has yet to dip it's toes back in the water.

Back