LG CX 48" 55" 65" 77" 4K OLED TV 120Hz VRR HDMI 2.1 - Microcenter (Refurbished)

Still can't get away from the Microcenter "In Store Only" bullshit even on non-computer stuff :D :D :D

Still can't get away from the Microcenter "In Store Only" bullshit even on non-computer stuff :D :D :D

They do it in order to get people in the store to, ideally, buy things that they make more money on. On deals like this they're likely not making a ton of profit so it doesn't make sense to offer it for online purchase.

They do it in order to get people in the store to, ideally, buy things that they make more money on. On deals like this they're likely not making a ton of profit so it doesn't make sense to offer it for online purchase.
Yep. But it's not just loss leaders trying to get people into store, their entire business model relies on foot traffic. If everything was available for shipping the moment it was in stock - and considering the current climate - everything interesting would be botted and perpetually out of stock, and the complaints would shift to "why does Microcenter exist when everything's always OOS anyway, they're the next Fry's".

Last edited:
Pclausen - I was wondering the same thing but the stand and remote are in the very top part of the box (you lift the box up and the TV is then right side up.. its the foam above that which seems gets stuck in the top part of the box). Remove all the foam! It left me scratching my head for a moment too then I realized rest of the box felt heavy - stand and remote hidden behind that top foam.

Thanks! Once I pulled the top foam out, I found the remote and screws for the base, but the base itself was not there. I can see the cut-out in the foam where it should be. Didn't think to pull out that foam initially, since the remote weight next to nothing.

MC never did get back to me since my initial chat with them Saturday. Followed up with them again yesterday and this time they told me I should hear back within 24 hours and the notified their home office of this incidence. Anyway, with the remote in hand, I was able to complete the initial setup and pull down the latest firmware. Very impressed with the picture quality with the out of the box settings. I installed the Emby client on WebOS and tested a couple of 4K HDR titles. Wow.

No issues at all and no a single scratch or blemish anywhere on the TV or brushed metal cover for the missing stand. I'd hate to have to take the whole TV back to MC for exchange. I'm hoping they can just pull the stand out from one of the unsold TVs and ship it to me. I mean if I bring mine back, they would have to send it back anyway. Alternatively, they can perhaps ship me a nice articulating arm for it instead.

So, I'm just going to note. I have went to Microcenter looking at their refurb iPhones before at some point. I didn't see any obvious signs as to what company does the refurbs for them, so I persistently asked. The guy finally got a manager because he didn't know either, and the manager laughed a bit and said, "By us!"

At that point I promptly put the package back and left. I of course only live about 20 mins (sometimes less sometimes more) away from two Microcenters, so I don't mind going in and coming out with nothing. So if I had to guess, these were simply returned and found by the employees to be in good enough condition to be called "refurbished" after maybe some dusting or cleanup. I don't know how much expertise they would actually have to be able to repair iPhones or TVs.

Now this is just speculation since it could be different for different products, and/or perhaps I'm misremembering the terminology they used to refer to the iPhones at the time. Or maybe I just have too little trust in their ability to actually do repairs personally. Who knows?

Last edited:
Do any of these have ATSC 3.0? I use an antennae and online services rather than cable.

Was able to grab the 55" and don't regret it. PS5 and Series X look amazing. Replacing an LG B7 which I thought already looked pretty good but the image just pops on the CX. Unit looks like new. Checked screen runtime after setup and it said 1 hour. I did have some VRR studder issues that resolved after a firmware update.

Well damn, the refurb 65" just dropped for $1699 to $1299.

65" OLED with VRR/120 has never been this low, not even openbox on BB or AMZ. Retail still around $2k.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...led-tv-w--thinq-ai-and-freesync---refurbished
1617392931031.png

Last edited:
Damn I grabbed a 55in for my bedroom, I might grab this for the living room too. Really wanted a GX but this is so damn cheap.
I ended up returning my 55 because it was slightly too small for living room w/ sofa @ 20'. And at the time, 65" at $1699 was just outside of my buy threshold. But $1299 I'm not sleeping on. Reserved!

Last edited:
I am surprised that they haven't sold 1 55" at my MC all week. I might just go get one as use it as a monitor lol.

I am surprised that they haven't sold 1 55" at my MC all week. I might just go get one as use it as a monitor lol.
I struggled for a few days to try to use the 55" as a monitor, instead of the LG 48" that I really wanted at the $999 pricepoint, but there's too much eye travel and neck craning even with it positioned far enough away. The smooth 120Hz is definitely noticeable and preferable in desktop use though.

Whenever LG finally gets around to releasing this year's rumored 42" OLED, I'll be on it day-one as I'm sure many will.

I struggled for a few days to try to use the 55" as a monitor, instead of the LG 48" that I really wanted at the $999 pricepoint, but there's too much eye travel and neck craning even with it positioned far enough away. The smooth 120Hz is definitely noticeable and preferable in desktop use though.

Whenever LG finally gets around to releasing this year's rumored 42" OLED, I'll be on it day-one as I'm sure many will.
I'm pretty pumped for the 42" LG OLED, but have seen some reports that it'll only be 60Hz. :(

The other TV I'm interested in is Sony's forthcoming 43" X85J.

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my curved 55" C6. Local pickup in Columbia, SC. Perfect condition with around 2100 hours on it. Have about 8 sets of 3D glasses to go with it too (two are the Rockefish by Oakley ones). This was the last year as well as the best of the 3D capable sets. $750 Only reason I'm parting with it is we have moved and I simply do not really use it at all anymore and cannot let my wife use it (she only watches news with constant bars and images on screen which I have always refused to allow to be watched on it).

Aside from that, I just checked Dow Electronics which is a distributor I have an account with and now they only show LG commercial sets available. Was going to see what dealer cost was. That is how I got my C6 a couple of years ago. Was actually going to offer to even have them drop shipped if someone wanted but apparently DOW is no longer carrying the LG consumer line. There is one commercial OLED - the wallpaper version which is $5000 and the commercial version has no tuner or WebOS.

I'm pretty pumped for the 42" LG OLED, but have seen some reports that it'll only be 60Hz. :(

The other TV I'm interested in is Sony's forthcoming 43" X85J.
Oh damn. It'll probably be $3500 but arguably worth selling a kidney for (like if you sat your family down and calmly explained what was happening, they should understand).

Last edited:

I know it pretty big but if I wall mount it and tilt it down I could recline back. It could work. Being on my desk would definably be too big. I have a hard time paying $1300 for a smaller TV. Ill have my Samsung g7 on the desk under it for daily use.

They have 48cx refurb for $999 btw atm. I think I am going to go get one.
This is the pricepoint I've been waiting for on the 48.

I picked up the 65" over the weekend for $1299, it's a monster, but arrived with 880 hours already on it which I'm not thrilled about so it may go back. Luck of the draw.

This is the pricepoint I've been waiting for on the 48.

I picked up the 65" over the weekend for $1299, it's a monster, but arrived with 880 hours already on it which I'm not thrilled about so it may go back. Luck of the draw.
I just got home with the 55". I spent 45min in the damn check out line. I got a 3060 to which they randomly had. The TV came in repackaged in a brown box. I am not going to try and set it up tonight. It's to late and still need to make dinner.

I just got home with the 55". I spent 45min in the damn check out line. I got a 3060 to which they randomly had. The TV came in repackaged in a brown box. I am not going to try and set it up tonight. It's to late and still need to make dinner.
The trick is doing an online reservation so you can hit the short line that usually only has 1-2 people.

The trick is doing an online reservation so you can hit the short line that usually only has 1-2 people.
I though of that but no one was working that line for some reason. There were only 2 registers open and line was going across the damn store.

It says 120hz in the specs, but will it do that at 4k? I'm not super familiar with these OLEDs.

Yea all 3xxx or AMD 6xxx have hdmi 2.1.
Okeydokey! I have reserved one. I have an OLED on my HP Spectre, and it is flat out incredible. Imagine having that kind of display quality with 120hz. This is a great price! About 10cm too big for the desk I need to put it on, but for this price, I shall try to figure out how to make it work.

Okeydokey! I have reserved one. I have an OLED on my HP Spectre, and it is flat out incredible. Imagine having that kind of display quality with 120hz. This is a great price! About 10cm too big for the desk I need to put it on, but for this price, I shall try to figure out how to make it work.
I'm using the 48CX with a 3090 and it's simply incredible. Even with my old 1080Ti, OLED image quality with 120Hz was awesome, but newer GPUs unleash all features (VRR, 4:4:4, etc.) and let the display really shine. 10/10, would buy again.

I'm using the 48CX with a 3090 and it's simply incredible. Even with my old 1080Ti, OLED image quality with 120Hz was awesome, but newer GPUs unleash all features (VRR, 4:4:4, etc.) and let the display really shine. 10/10, would buy again.
Out of curiosity what's your distance from the screen?

Out of curiosity what's your distance from the screen?
Approximately 3 feet. It's far enough away that the 48" completely immerses you when gaming, but I can see all 4 corners without having to turn my neck. The 55" that I had previously was like gaming on an IMAX lol, but honestly a little large for most people. I find the 48" to be a more practical size. LG is supposedly coming out with a 42"...we thought it might be this year with the C1 series, but no dice, so maybe next year. That's the ideal size for a lot of people who like large 4K displays. I'll probably stick with the 48" unless there are big improvements to the electronics or panel (unlike the C1).

Back