LG B8 55" 4K OLED - $1049 shipped

I remember when TV shopping was easy, you had a particular technology, whether it's LCD, flat screen, 1080p, bam buy the tv that has what you want. Now they differ considerably from model to model, that $300 Samsung 4K at costco? Why is it $300 but the other 4k that's the same physical size is nearly $1000? One has extra color enhancing flakes tossed in during production, the other doesn't, but do I care about those extra fairy flakes? PITA I tell you!

I remember when TV shopping was easy, you had a particular technology, whether it's LCD, flat screen, 1080p, bam buy the tv that has what you want. Now they differ considerably from model to model, that $300 Samsung 4K at costco? Why is it $300 but the other 4k that's the same physical size is nearly $1000? One has extra color enhancing flakes tossed in during production, the other doesn't, but do I care about those extra fairy flakes? PITA I tell you!

Lol, well we all have our priorities and preferences. If you've seen OLED in person though, it's hard not to notice how much better the contrast is compared to anything else.

I would have been very tempted by this a couple of weeks ago. I bought a Samsung Q8F instead of OLED to go in a bright room. My main viewing room, with better light control has an LG B7, and it's the best looking TV I've seen. I expect to use it for as long as the Pioneer Kuro plasma it replaced.

I remember when a Sony Trinitron was all you needed and televisions lasted 20 years easy. (y) hey! get off my lawn! :LOL:

Reactions: TypeO
like this
Damn, that's a helluva nice price. However, after ruining one LG OLED with my viewing habits, I ain't gonna buy another.

Damn, that's a helluva nice price. However, after ruining one LG OLED with my viewing habits, I ain't gonna buy another.
I don't have an OLED so I'm curious--what exactly did you do that wouldn't harm another picture type?

Lol...yeah, that was unfortunate. Basically guys, if you're thinking about buying one of these, don't leave static elements on the screen day in and day out with the OLED light set to a high level or you risk burn in. You have to abuse one pretty hard to ruin it, and as Commander found out, running it for hours every day with a news ticker running qualifies. If that's what you want to do, go with LCD.

I unfortunately don't get to use mine for movies that much simply because it's not very comfortable to watch them from my office chair, but games look absolutely incredible. 1.5 years later and I still can't really get over just how good it looks.

Just FYI, but that seller kind of blows.

Placed an order with them on 5/11. Card was given a pending charge, but TV was not shipped. Then on 5/15 they cancelled my order with no reason given.

Totally killed all references to my order on newegg and you need an order on the dashboard to leave feedback. I think they do this to keep their seller rating on newegg high. Search for GameLiquidations on google and you'll read about additional oddities.

Lol, well we all have our priorities and preferences. If you've seen OLED in person though, it's hard not to notice how much better the contrast is compared to anything else.
Oh I agree, it wasnt a point of blah oled, but there's the b8, c9, etc.. how do things change generationally? I mean at Costco they still asimilar size lg oled TV for more than twice the price, so why? Is there something more than just an old stock they want to get rid of?

Supposedly Walmart is clearing out last year B8 55" OLED for $999. Very YMMV. Worth looking if you are looking to buy.

Last edited:
Oh I agree, it wasnt a point of blah oled, but there's the b8, c9, etc.. how do things change generationally? I mean at Costco they still asimilar size lg oled TV for more than twice the price, so why? Is there something more than just an old stock they want to get rid of?
It is not just about the sizes. The 2019 models have better processing, get brighter and offer VRR which you get with HDMI 2.1. New model year TVs are always stupid expansive. This is the best time to buy new high end TVs. Jump on them now if you are intrested cause you not going to find the new model for sub $2000 til this time next year. Like SeegsElite said the B8 is the kind bang for your buck atm. Can't beat the quality you are getting for around $1k atm.

I would have been very tempted by this a couple of weeks ago. I bought a Samsung Q8F instead of OLED to go in a bright room. My main viewing room, with better light control has an LG B7, and it's the best looking TV I've seen. I expect to use it for as long as the Pioneer Kuro plasma it replaced.

i have fairly bright room, we have curtains over the windows but, who the hell watches TV in direct sunlight? seems plenty bright to me and i haven't run it past 45-48% brightness.

For those who may get this, you have to register it as bought from amazon since GL gets them whole from amazon. i think that means if you need service in the 1 year warranty you will need to go through GL to get the warranty work/replacement done. Also the stutter can be real bitch, i can't watch my car shows since they 90% slow panning. also 24p content on the HTPC via PC inputs sucks too, everything else not too bad.

Also holy hell 720p content looks good, even on my cable box! if they can get the 20p motion better it'd be awesome but, all flat screens suffer from 24p as does my new LCD i just bought as well

See the post above! ;)

Yup had a family member do the same thing. It’s only noticeable in some situations now though like a white or black area over the burned in logo. Happened like 1 month after warranty ended too. Meanwhile I’ve got one of the last Panasonic Plasmas in a bedroom that has no burn in and hope it stays that way. :)

OLED is also amazing for its ability to not color shift from viewing angles. Probably the most noticeable thing out the technology to me.

Yup had a family member do the same thing. It’s only noticeable in some situations now though like a white or black area over the burned in logo. Happened like 1 month after warranty ended too. Meanwhile I’ve got one of the last Panasonic Plasmas in a bedroom that has no burn in and hope it stays that way. :)

OLED is also amazing for its ability to not color shift from viewing angles. Probably the most noticeable thing out the technology to me.
My Panasonic ST60 plasma was the best TV I ever owned. It was damaged beyond repair during a move about six years ago. :(

Back