LG Announces a Smart Bulb That Connects to iOS and Android Devices

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We can all die happy now, since probably the last item on your Bucket List was a ‘smart bulb’ that works well with both Android and iOS platforms, has Bluetooth and blinks when you get a call. :D

There's also a party mode, which will set the brightness to the music emanating from the smartphone and will even blink to the beat, giving users their very own strobe effect.

That's what mine does, but I also opted in to beta test one that will make phone calls when I press a specific series of buttons on it.

Well on the surface that sounds pretty cool, but if you think about the logistics I don't think it will last. I mean think about it, you would have to assign each target there own position in a list, and with how many people would use this technology you'd be talking about a big list! I mean were talking like values in the 10 digits. Who can possibly remember that they are number 12,148,675,309 on the list???

So unless there was some way to store all these addresses in a book of some kind I just don't see it lasting.

I'm down for party mode. Also if I'm gaming or my phone is in another room, the light effect would be useful. If I was a richer man I'd happily buy a few just for fun.

Following the link in the article to a Google translated page, it's a 10W LED bulb, part number B1050EA5L6B for Day White and part number B1030EA5L6B for Color. (What color or colors? Party colors maybe, I dunno.) The part numbers lead me to a lot of foreign language pages but one slightly better written article:

http://ausdroid.net/2014/03/23/lg-a...bs-controllable-with-android-and-ios-devices/

There, it's noted that this is not the first of its kind, and several similar are listed like the Philips Hue, LifX and Belkin WeMo bulbs.

Some things simply should not be connected to the net. I sure hope they don't waste IP's addresses on devices like this even with IPV6.

And yes I know its Bluetooth, just saying some things don't need the net.

Why?
Some people will buy it, but I don't see it being a mass market product. Hell, I'm not even sure it's a niche market item.

Because Google likes to know when you turn on each specific light in your house. It's delicious data for the mining and the creepy watching.

At the very least I was hoping it would use morse code to blink who is calling so I don't have to look at my phone.

Very disappointed, :p

Back