LG Announces 32UD99: 4K IPS Display With 95% DCI-P3, HDR And USB-C

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
LG will be demonstrating this new display at this year’s CES. Ideally, the monitor may be connected via USB Type-C (using DisplayPort Alternate Mode), but we should also expect HDMI 2.0a support since the company is also targeting HDR-capable game consoles as an application for this display.

The LG 32UD99 will a 32” display featuring a 10-bit IPS panel that can reproduce 1.07 billion colors and cover over 95% of the DCI-P3 color space, while LG has said nothing about the sRGB and the Adobe RGB color spaces. The monitor will support 10-bit HDR capabilities, but LG is not disclosing details about its LUTs (look-up-tables) and so on. Finally, LG says that the 32UD99 will be able to connect to computers using a single USB Type-C cable (using DisplayPort Alternate Mode) that will also support charging capabilities. Other notable features that LG mentioned in its press release are thin bezels as well as “slim” stand.

Very interesting.
32"
USB-C video cable with power charging
thin bezel
slim stand

Price will still determine whether or not it's a mainstream killer or not. People aren't going to be dropping $1K for a monitor.
"Today, LG only announced plans to demonstrate its 32UD99 display at CES, which is why it did not touch upon its pricing and estimated availability timeframe. While it is logical to expect the LG 32UD99 to hit the market sometimes next year at a price that will be above that of average 32” UHD models, that is all we can share at this point."

Very interesting.
32"
USB-C video cable with power charging
thin bezel
slim stand

Price will still determine whether or not it's a mainstream killer or not. People aren't going to be dropping $1K for a monitor.
"Today, LG only announced plans to demonstrate its 32UD99 display at CES, which is why it did not touch upon its pricing and estimated availability timeframe. While it is logical to expect the LG 32UD99 to hit the market sometimes next year at a price that will be above that of average 32” UHD models, that is all we can share at this point."
Well this is definitely going to be over 1k. Closer to $1500 I bet.

4K is slowly getting there. Something like this is really interesting. Hope the 4K wagon without compromise is ready in early 2018 :)

If I needed an HDR desktop display for work, I'd probably jump on this. I don't, so I won't.

What makes you so sure? People have been spending north of $1k on monitors for decades.

I have a $1000 monitor and it's the most expensive thing I have ever bought for a computer (ya I missed out on days of $1000 hard drives). I don't know anyone else that spends that kind of money on monitors and am almost embarrassed to say the number out loud.

Most people think $600 for a 55" 4K TV is pricey. And that's something everyone in the house can use. Most people aren't blessed.

Sure Apple and Dell have been selling mainstream $1000 for a decade, but how many do you see in private residences.....let alone being used for "console gaming" as LG says it's targeting.

My current Philips monitor has an sRGB mode but never use it. Just looked up sRGB and it is classified for home use and not professional.

I definitely see this thing selling for $1k+. The current crop of 32" 4k monitors is around $1200. While I don't think there is a huge amount of home users buying them, I do see a big market still, otherwise, they wouldn't keep making them.

I've seen plenty of them at work. Only known a couple ppl who had 30" or larger monitors at home. Most seem to rock HDTVs instead for computer monitors. I've got a 28" 4k monitor, which ran me $600 during the time. I simply stayed away from 30", cause I used one before and feel it's just too big.

I definitely see this thing selling for $1k+. The current crop of 32" 4k monitors is around $1200. While I don't think there is a huge amount of home users buying them, I do see a big market still, otherwise, they wouldn't keep making them.

I've seen plenty of them at work. Only known a couple ppl who had 30" or larger monitors at home. Most seem to rock HDTVs instead for computer monitors. I've got a 28" 4k monitor, which ran me $600 during the time. I simply stayed away from 30", cause I used one before and feel it's just too big.
What is this LG offering that the current crop of monitors doesn't? It obviously isn't price savings.

I have a U2412 on my desk, but after playing XCOM2 on my 47" TV with the laptop it's going to be painful going back to a tiny screen when I build a new desktop rig next year.

If this has a high refresh rate and good response time, it's easily the stop gap to OLED.

What is this LG offering that the current crop of monitors doesn't? It obviously isn't price savings.

I have a U2412 on my desk, but after playing XCOM2 on my 47" TV with the laptop it's going to be painful going back to a tiny screen when I build a new desktop rig next year.

HDR and Higher DCI-3 color. While im not familiar with monitors, but compared at rtings.com 95% would beat almost all tvs.. the big thing is HDR.

Last edited:
LG has added the monitor to their site, and it looks like it'll be available soon but no price. I'm not an expert on display technology but this looks very similar to existing 2016 monitors with a few dubious certifications stamped on its feature set. I hope I'm wrong. It seems to be aiming for a diverse audience though, so maybe we'll see a competitive price tag.

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32UD99-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor

Brightness Peak 550 nits / Typical 350 nits that could be a small problem for hdr though..

Looks nice, any chance it's above 60hz? I just bought the OMEN 32 inch, my next monitor needs the specs to last me 4-6 years. I love this thing right now, so I'll gladly wait for 144hz on top of HDR and 4k.

Looks nice, any chance it's above 60hz?

The fact this isn't listed on the spec sheet and the manufacturer hasn't responded to the questions in comments makes me doubt it.

Then again it would probably cost $2000 if it was...

Been waiting for this monitor to be released...I was eyeing it for my next build. It's available for pre-order now at B&H: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1312886-REG/lg_32ud99_w_32_16_9_hdr10.html

$999.00 is not bad at all, I was expecting a higher MSRP. There also seems to be a $100 gift card offered along with it. I shop at B&H frequently as I don't get hit with sales tax, so that effectively makes it $899 for me. Damn good value in my book for a 32" 4K IPS monitor that supports HDR. I just wish it featured G-Sync over FreeSync, as I plan on nabbing a 1080 Ti.

Rather than a 4K monitor, I'd love to see a 34" 3K UltraWide with 10-bit color @ 144Hz/1ms

Back