LG Announces 16:18 monitor (28MQ780)

altano

n00b
LG announced their DualUp Monitor (28MQ780) which is a 16:18 (2560 x 2880), medium PPI (139.61) portrait display:

1640254051209.png

https://gizmodo.com/lgs-new-monitor-sports-a-unique-18-16-vertical-aspect-r-1848255442

Relevant specs:
  • Size: 27.6 inches (18.34" × 20.63", 46.57cm × 52.4cm)
  • Resolution: SDQHD (2560 x 2880)
  • Aspect ratio: 16:18
  • Display tech: Nano IPS
  • DCI-P3 color gamut: 98%
  • Max brightness: 300 nits
  • HDR: HDR10
  • AMD FreeSync: No
  • Response time: 5 milliseconds
  • Stand: Pivot/Height/Tilt/Swivel
  • I/O: USB-C (96W power + data), HDMI (2x), DisplayPort, USB upstream, USB downstream (2x)
  • Speakers: 7W (2x)
I think that 3 of these monitors might be the setup I've been waiting a long time for.

I'm about it, I'd love one of these for a secondary display. Looks like a multitasking monster and the ratio will be good for working on full Letter / A4 layouts in Illustrator etc

Yeah seems like a good side monitor for sure. My only beef is that it will without doubt be 60 Hz only. That's ok for a side monitor but still kinda sucks.

I am using 3 of these in a triple monitor setup. Ask me anything.

how seamless is it between the top and bottom panel?
is there a border/bezel between the two?
from the pictures it looks seamless

We’ll the requirement would
Why this over anything else?
As a programmer I like to just have a ton of screen real estate. 3 widescreens is too wide and not tall enough. Widescreen monitors in portrait mode are just not wide enough for useful work. I had settled on two widescreens but I didn’t love that setup either.

In the past my all time favorite monitor setup was 6 4:3 Dell 2006fp monitors. I bought all 6 off eBay in awful shape, having been obsolete for a decade already, for $320.

3 x LG DualUp is the closet thing to that setup. It has the convenience of only having 3 monitors (with a kvm switch between my work/personal machines the # of cables is 3x each monitor) but feels like 6. I use software to snap to the top or bottom half. Both the top and bottom are fully usable (being the same size as a 16:9 monitor) and I have enough width.

Biggest downsides after a week of testing:

* the DPI is not very low, but noticeably lower than my 27” 4k for sure. I wish it was higher.
* this much screen does cause some neck fatigue. I’m trying to be good about not looking at the extreme angles for too long.

As a programmer I like to just have a ton of screen real estate. 3 widescreens is too wide and not tall enough. Widescreen monitors in portrait mode are just not wide enough for useful work. I had settled on two widescreens but I didn’t love that setup either.

In the past my all time favorite monitor setup was 6 4:3 Dell 2006fp monitors. I bought all 6 off eBay in awful shape, having been obsolete for a decade already, for $320.

3 x LG DualUp is the closet thing to that setup. It has the convenience of only having 3 monitors (with a kvm switch between my work/personal machines the # of cables is 3x each monitor) but feels like 6. I use software to snap to the top or bottom half. Both the top and bottom are fully usable (being the same size as a 16:9 monitor) and I have enough width.

* the DPI is not very low, but noticeably lower than my 27” 4k for sure. I wish it was higher.
* this much screen does cause some neck fatigue. I’m trying to be good about not looking at the extreme angles for too long.
That is pretty cool. 3 of these is like using 6 2560x1440 monitors in a 3x2 configuration. I can see how that would be really nice for programming.

Please post a pic of your setup!

I'm considering a 32" 4K 16:9 + one of these for programming as well but am unsure if I want to go with that or just dual 32". The LG DualUp is basically two 21.5" 1440p displays stacked and that's pretty cool but no high refresh rate which can be a bit jarring moving between screens if I get a 32" 120-144 Hz display.

The PbP mode on this is nice to have and I could see using that just to have an extra set of virtual desktops but will most likely become a problem in the future if I move to an Apple silicon Macbook Pro because atm they don't support more than 2 screens unless you get the M1 Max option, doesn't seem to matter if it's two lower res screens or not.

One thing I hadn't considered before is that the stand for this is basically a proper monitor arm rather than the garbage stand that usually comes with displays. That's a decent value added.

I can totally understand the neck fatigue. This is almost as tall as my LG CX 48" and at a closer viewing distance could see that becoming a problem. I'd probably put this so that it is very close to the top of my desk.

And this is the monitor people were really waiting for.
I currently have few 1920x1200 monitors for side-kick monitor and for amount of work I do it is enough. For office and/or if I did more programming at home I'd definitely want such 16:18 monitor.

Panel that is more tall than wide is great and much superior than rotating RGB panel sideways. Not only rotated display usually look meh on desk but its font rendering is also screwed up. Having monitor natively tall solves both those issues !

Back