LG and Google announce the Nexus 4

I think the main issue is LG lacking supply from all the different part manufacturers. If they can't increase the order on 1 single component on the phone, they can't produce more. THAT is probably what's got them locked up.

I also think LG is selling the phone to Tmobile AND Google for $500 or so. Google takes a cut off, knowing they'll make it up in the market, and Tmobile adds for logistics. I seriously doubt LG is selling to 2 distributors for a different price --- Tmobile would have raised hell over it.

Bottom line? LG is probably making just as much per device as they are on the Optimus G, and there is no reason for them to dally on supply --- it's probably component sourcing.

LG deflects blame for Nexus 4 supply issues

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/14/3877318/lg-deflects-blame-for-nexus-4-supply-issues

Maybe Google didn't contract enough quantities with LG ? The Galaxy Nexus I believe only sold around 500,000 units in it's first year, or other sites just saying far less than one million G Nex sold, but I could be wrong. And to date around 400,000 Nexus-4's have been produced in the first two months. Maybe Google never expected 400,000 units sold in the first two months, thinking that would take well over six months to reach that number of sales, based on the poor Galaxy Nexus sales ?

Yeah, I put the blame on Google, not ordering enough Nexus-4's to be produced. Way underestimating how many would be needed at launch.

Or conspiracy theory :confused:

Maybe Google is not pushing the Nexus brand, like us nerds would like ? Google does not want hurt their big partners like Samsung and HTC. Strong sales of the Nexus 4 would hurt the Galaxy SIII and One X.

Maybe the Nexus brand to Google, is just their little pet project, not ever meant for the mass public, and never intended to be the iPhone fighter, like I think it is ?

Did some research on XDA. By checking serials, these are rough production estimates:

October: 70,000
November: 100,000
December: 220,000

They are DEFINITELY ramping up, which means it was Google not ordering enough. If LG wasn't interested, supply would have remained the same.

Also looks like carrier's are getting dibs on the most recent order of Nexus 4.

ie T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile UK

Someone is making a lot more money off the retailers than at Google Play. Maybe after the carrier's get their rounds, it might be Google Play's turn?

Someone is making a lot more money off the retailers than at Google Play. Maybe after the carrier's get their rounds, it might be Google Play's turn?

Just called a few T-Mobile stores around Chicago, they all have Nexus 4 in stock. Low quantities like 5 at each stores I called, but at least they are stocking them now. Last month when I called, none of them had it.

I bet the carriers took up the supply for now, and we won't see them back on the Play Store until February is my guess.

I am tempted to go to T-Mobile now, they said can have two phones on full unlimited family plan for like $120. Right now, I am on Straight Talk, pay $97 for two numbers. Is it worth the extra $20 to go T-Mobile, on their full network ? Only beef I have with Straight Talk, is slow network, I am on the ATT SIM, and it seems pretty darn slow, the last couple of months, with my international One X, and group texting barely works, I can only send single texts, but when I do group messages of 2 - 3 people at same time, takes forever to go through, sometimes never goes.

Don't know about Chicago but where I'm at T-Mobile service has been Good coming off atnt with the 30 plan on my N4. Wish their cs was better (no way to email them and you're pushed to online forum for support). Don't think I'd pay more than what I'm paying for it but so far so good.

Negative, the carriers would have pitched a fit. You can't sell the same product to 2 distributors at different costs without all hell breaking loose.

Tmobile adds for their logistics and stuff, and Google subsidizes. I bet you LG is making the same per Nexus as they are per Optimus G.

I am tempted to go to T-Mobile now, they said can have two phones on full unlimited family plan for like $120. Right now, I am on Straight Talk, pay $97 for two numbers. Is it worth the extra $20 to go T-Mobile, on their full network ? Only beef I have with Straight Talk, is slow network, I am on the ATT SIM, and it seems pretty darn slow, the last couple of months, with my international One X, and group texting barely works, I can only send single texts, but when I do group messages of 2 - 3 people at same time, takes forever to go through, sometimes never goes.

I'm actually getting ready to drop T- Mobile to go with Straight Talk and use an AT&T sim card. Unfortunately, in Dallas, T-Mobile blows and AT&T is good. However, more and more, I'm hearing really bad things about ST. I'm hearing their Unlimited Data is really only about 2GB and even then they will try to limit you if you stream too much at one. What's even more comical is they are teaming up with Wal-Mart to sell the iphone 5 with their shady internet.

I'm actually getting ready to drop T- Mobile to go with Straight Talk and use an AT&T sim card. Unfortunately, in Dallas, T-Mobile blows and AT&T is good. However, more and more, I'm hearing really bad things about ST. I'm hearing their Unlimited Data is really only about 2GB and even then they will try to limit you if you stream too much at one. What's even more comical is they are teaming up with Wal-Mart to sell the iphone 5 with their shady internet.

I think Straight Talk has gotten really popular the past 6 months or so. Too many people using it, and ST is slowing down the network on us. And they are capping people pretty quick lately, then throttling you down.

But, you get what you pay for. It's $45/month for unlimited, no contract. No other plan in the U.S is that cheap, with unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 2GB data.

I think Straight Talk has gotten really popular the past 6 months or so. Too many people using it, and ST is slowing down the network on us. And they are capping people pretty quick lately, then throttling you down.

But, you get what you pay for. It's $45/month for unlimited, no contract. No other plan in the U.S is that cheap, with unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 2GB data.

Boost gets that cheap with 2.5GB high speed data after 6 months, and is cheaper after 1 year.

I might wait and see if I can get lucky enough to get one, but if it goes out of stock again I'll give up and go with something else. Might give in and just get a data plan then I can get pretty much any phone I want for not too expensive.

I wonder for how many hours it will be available this time. :p

I would think Google and LG will get it right this time. Probably won't allow it on the Play Store again, until there have a large stock, knowing they have enough to handle large quantity of new orders. if not, and it sells out again in 90 seconds, then Google are fucking dumbasses, and just in spite I will buy a different phone.

For sure the nexus 4 is unlike to get into regular consumers' hands.

I'm lucky I had a job that allowed me to check emails frequently so that I could hammer F5 at order time to get mine in. Most regular customer is going to do that so I'm thinking the Nexus 4 will never reach mass appeal unless google gets a plentiful supply of them.

For sure the nexus 4 is unlike to get into regular consumers' hands.

I'm lucky I had a job that allowed me to check emails frequently so that I could hammer F5 at order time to get mine in. Most regular customer is going to do that so I'm thinking the Nexus 4 will never reach mass appeal unless google gets a plentiful supply of them.

That's the problem --- they DO have a plentiful supply. 250k units a month is pretty bawlin for an android device.... let alone a Nexus. And it's still selling out. Demand for this phone is ridiculous.

That's the problem --- they DO have a plentiful supply. 250k units a month is pretty bawlin for an android device.... let alone a Nexus. And it's still selling out. Demand for this phone is ridiculous.
That figure is only based on speculation...not confirmed

Sheesh by the time they have these stock issues resolved the Google X or 5 will be around. It took me 1 hour of refreshing with much anger and then waiting another 2 weeks when I "purchased the phone" because they said even though I got through checkout it was out of stock. Probably best to wait a few more months if you can and get one of the newer phones. Hopefully Google will learn from this mistake.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb

The page monitor extension I'm using is reporting a minor change made to the stock pages for the 8GB, 16GB, and Bumper (I was only following the Bumper page personally). It now says "TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK" instead of "SOLD OUT" in bold red like it had for the past month and a half or so.

This COULD be a sign that the phone and bumper are going to be back in stock very soon at Google Play.

Edit: According to news articles, the German Play Store currently has some stock as of now. And according to some news articles reporting a (now deleted?) comment by someone who has inside knowledge, the US store will be seeing some stock today.

Almost hard to believe this is the day, considering this phone has been sold out for a good month and a half.

Last edited:
I'm no android fan, but just saw it's back in stock at the google play store. great deal!

Did the LTE unlock get disabled on this phone?

I'm no android fan, but just saw it's back in stock at the google play store. great deal!

Did the LTE unlock get disabled on this phone?

I'm guessing you're talking about the limited Canada LTE that was working? Google hasn't disabled it yet, but they've taken down the Nexus 4 factory images. I'd imagine they're working on disabling the functionality at the firmware level eventually; if they leave it in they're liable to get fined by the FCC as that was never certified for the Nexus 4.

I picked up two of the bumpers, one for my friend. Looks like my phone will eventually actually have a "case" :p

Finally ordered the official OEM bumper after waiting nearly 2 months for it to come back in stock. Screw eBay and those knockoffs.

Finally ordered the official OEM bumper after waiting nearly 2 months for it to come back in stock. Screw eBay and those knockoffs.

$20 for a bumper that only protects the edge of the phone seems pretty expensive to me.

$20 for a bumper that only protects the edge of the phone seems pretty expensive to me.

I owned the $20 Google bumper and the $6 Poetic bumper. I ended up liking the $6 bumper quite a bit more because it was smaller and felt better in the hand. Both were easy to put on and take off and seemed to protect equally as well. The Google bumper did seem to be a better quality bumper, but just obnoxiously large.

I kept the $6 bumper and eBayed the $20 bumper for $90. So that worked out pretty nicely for me.

Having never owned a more expensive phone yet can someone explain "bumpers" to me? I already plan on getting a screen protector and skin. I'm wondering what the pros/drawbacks (I guess more bulk?) of a bumper would be and whether or not I should look into one as well.

Having never owned a more expensive phone yet can someone explain "bumpers" to me? I already plan on getting a screen protector and skin. I'm wondering what the pros/drawbacks (I guess more bulk?) of a bumper would be and whether or not I should look into one as well.

You want more than a screen protector on those things. In fact I had only a silicon skin for my LG G2X and that is all I need. You want something to absorb the impact of a fall, which is what cracks the screens.
Screen protector are a waste of money IMO. I kept my phone in my pocket with my keys and also had it fall face down on a pebbly road and never once put a scratch on the thing.

Then to prove to my friend how durable the screen was I took my a key and proceeded to run it all over the screen. That did nothing to it.
This was with Gorilla Glass 2

I've been using a Diztronic TPU case as a temp solution and it is protecting it well but it hides the sparkly back and will interfere with my screen protector. There were way too many people complaining about the Poetic bumpers falling apart after only a week of use on Amazon (average 3 star rating).

Back