LG 55" OLED TV $999 (Refurb) on Woot

MixManSC

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Staff member
Refurb which is fine with me....

That is a pretty killer price for a TV with hands down one of the best pictures money can buy.

They also have the 65" but for $1799 which does not seem quite as hot of a deal to me - that is like just over $18 buck and inch on the 55" and close to $28 an inch for the 65" set.

These are the 2017 models.

Refrub TV/monitor are one thing I would stay away from. They were either damaged of returns for common defects like BLB. You might get lucky still but odds are low.

Refrub TV/monitor are one thing I would stay away from. They were either damaged of returns for common defects like BLB. You might get lucky still but odds are low.

Depends on return policy for me. Of the (many) monitors and TV's I've purchased in my life, I have purchased exactly two open box displays. One was a Sony Bravia(years ago), one was a Dell TN panel(recently).

Both were perfect. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice. I would note that both of the items I bought had a fee-free local store to return them to within a period of time, if I lost the panel lottery.

Edit: This would be relevant to my interests if I hadn't just bought another tv that (the wife says) I do not need last week. It's a good find.

Last edited:
Oh come on, Woot. I bought my 55" OLED last October for $1,399 with free shipping from Newegg. Only $400 more, plus it was brand new and I've been enjoying it for over 6 months now.

Freaking gorgeous too, video games and movies look absolutely phenomenal. I'm using mine as my PC monitor or I would've gone with the 65" for sure.

LED maybe. But OLED no way. There's a risk of burn in and LG does not honor it as a warranty defect if there is burn in. It's a well known complaint. Only the highest series in the LG line seem to be burn in resistant.

Depends on return policy for me. Of the (many) monitors and TV's I've purchased in my life, I have purchased exactly two open box displays. One was a Sony Bravia(years ago), one was a Dell TN panel(recently).

Both were perfect. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice. I would note that both of the items I bought had a fee-free local store to return them to within a period of time, if I lost the panel lottery.

Edit: This would be relevant to my interests if I hadn't just bought another tv that (the wife says) I do not need last week. It's a good find.
If I can exchange it locally sure but shipping it back and forth is a hassel.

Not hot. Currently $1080 on Slickdeals for a NIB.

So the B7A you can order new from some places for $100 more but you do lose Dolby Atmos support and the build in woofers for lows. The B7A is not the same as a B7P which has the build in woofers and full Dolby Atmos support.

Regardless - both are decently hot deals in my opinion. As with anything this large though, you have to take that into account when buying online as returning something like this can be a big hassle if needed.

I'd also think a factory refurb would not be sold with any sort of obvious screen burn in. Of course I could be wrong. Typically though, factory refurb stuff has less overall potential for issues than brand new due to the additional testing and checks done.

All about the warranty with refurbs, IMO. If it's still eligible for LG's extended warranty, then I'd feel a lot better about buying it. Bought my B7A for $1400, last September. Picture is as good as much more expensive OLEDs. I use an external dac/amp and speakers, so don't care about any built-in audio features.

No link or model number in the OP?

This could be LG's fauk 4k OLED (RBGW pixels). If that is the case, I'll pass over this deal.

So the B7A you can order new from some places for $100 more but you do lose Dolby Atmos support and the build in woofers for lows. The B7A is not the same as a B7P which has the build in woofers and full Dolby Atmos support.

Spending that much on a TV means most people will have an AVR and speakers set up. All you need is an AVR that supports Atmos, a sub, and then spend a ton of work/money installing Atmos speakers.

If you are using Tv speakers you don't deserve an LCOS

and if you believe they are providing any sort of decent atmos experience, you should be reading books instead.

Depends on return policy for me .

This is what I keep telling people. I ALWAYS advocate for new tech, BUT the big exception is the warranty offered. Like, as long as there is some sort of return policy then I am fine with that. It's not like buying tech off Craigslist (which I will never ever do again).

That is true. I coudl be wrong but my understanding is the B7A models will not pass Atmos at all. In other words if you are using any of the built in apps then Atmos will not be possible at all and if an external source you will need to connect the course directly the the AVR and not use the ARC capabilities. Not a big deal really to be honest. I dont think the set itself provides Atmos. I think it is whether the set can pass Atmos to a receiver. As far as the built in speakers. We do not use our AVR all the time. Watching news and weather and hearing it through the Marantz system is really not thrilling or even a good use of energy. For longer shows and movies, of course. FWIW, my older model does not do Atmos either. I was just pointing out earlier that the sets on slickdeals are a different model.

With the apparently shit 90 day warranty, this is not so great of a deal. Particularly if you can get a new set with a full warranty for a hundred more. Sorry all...

I've had my OLED55C6P (the last curved one they had as well as the last one with 3D) for over a year now and love it.

Aside from the deal talk and all - for anyone, OLED TV's are the bomb. Truly stunning and unprecedented picture quality.

Last edited:
Aside from the deal talk and all - for anyone, OLED TV's are the bomb. Truly stunning and unprecedented picture quality.

Pretty sure i'm gonna use my KS8000 until the thing croaks, and by then OLEDs will likely be the new standard or at least be a lot cheaper. I don't see enough of a reason to upgrade any time soon.

I'd love to see a 40" or 43" 4K OLED. That would be an outstanding computer monitor!

I've owned my LG OLED for almost 3 years now. You'll never notice the so-called "burn in". I don't see it and ours is on everyday for 10-12 hours a day.

Exactly, and yours is even an older one which are supposedly a bit less adept at mitigating it. Most people will never have a problem. I haven't seen the first hint temporary image retention, much less burn in (and trust me, I've looked for it). And I'm in the small minority of people using it for a monitor, so I should be among the most susceptible. The majority of sources agree that if you use the TV normally, burn in will never be an issue.

I'm not saying that some people haven't had issues, but I wish people would stop the fear mongering. A certain percentage of people who spend time in the sun and eat red meat are going to get cancer too, but most of us don't completely abstain from those things because it's not an overwhelmingly widespread concern.

That is true. I coudl be wrong but my understanding is the B7A models will not pass Atmos at all.

That was my understanding at first too, but then I came across mixed information. Some said they would and some said they wouldn't. /shrug Considering that I don't use Atmos, it wasn't a concern for me but I can see how others would want to verify before jumping on a $1K+ purchase.

Damn right. That being said, anyone using a recent upper-tier LCD shouldn't feel too upset. They're still very good sets, particularly the Samsung KS series and some of the newer Sonys.

I'd love to see a 40" or 43" 4K OLED. That would be an outstanding computer monitor!

Agreed. Hopefully one day soon! People looking for that are being hurt by the fact that 50-55" TVs have gotten so inexpensive that that size is really considered the smallest size that many will consider when buying a family room TV, with many going 65"+. Guess there just aren't that many people looking for 40-43" home theater TVs these days, so the "large 4K" monitor crowd is forced to choose between smaller LCD or big OLED.

OP, jump on ^^ deal now!! (y)

I'd go with B&H. Very good customer service and return policy.

Agreed. Hopefully one day soon! People looking for that are being hurt by the fact that 50-55" TVs have gotten so inexpensive that that size is really considered the smallest size that many will consider when buying a family room TV, with many going 65"+. Guess there just aren't that many people looking for 40-43" home theater TVs these days, so the "large 4K" monitor crowd is forced to choose between smaller LCD or big OLED.

But bigger is better right? :eek:

127463_Yes_Please8054.jpg

Exactly, and yours is even an older one which are supposedly a bit less adept at mitigating it. Most people will never have a problem. I haven't seen the first hint temporary image retention, much less burn in (and trust me, I've looked for it). And I'm in the small minority of people using it for a monitor, so I should be among the most susceptible. The majority of sources agree that if you use the TV normally, burn in will never be an issue.

I'm not saying that some people haven't had issues, but I wish people would stop the fear mongering. A certain percentage of people who spend time in the sun and eat red meat are going to get cancer too, but most of us don't completely abstain from those things because it's not an overwhelmingly widespread concern.

That was my understanding at first too, but then I came across mixed information. Some said they would and some said they wouldn't. /shrug Considering that I don't use Atmos, it wasn't a concern for me but I can see how others would want to verify before jumping on a $1K+ purchase.

Damn right. That being said, anyone using a recent upper-tier LCD shouldn't feel too upset. They're still very good sets, particularly the Samsung KS series and some of the newer Sonys.

Yes, but there are plenty of TVs that aren't living room TV's. I have large TVs in both living and family rooms, but I prefer a 42" in bedrooms. Not every room can support such a big screen, and it is way more important to just be comfortable.

Yes, but there are plenty of TVs that aren't living room TV's. I have large TVs in both living and family rooms, but I prefer a 42" in bedrooms. Not every room can support such a big screen, and it is way more important to just be comfortable.

Oh I agree; our bedroom isn’t set up for a 50” either. It’s just that in order to make an affordable 40-43” OLED, the manufacturers would have to depend on economies of scale and when you go into the store to look at TVs, most of them are the big boys. If you don’t benefit from a massive amount of panels being cranked out, thus lowering the per unit cost, then you end up with something like the Dell 30” OLED monitor for $3500 which was just ridiculous. But not arguing at all that smaller TVs have their place. I can’t stick a 50”+ TV everywhere that we have a set; it’s just not feasible due to space constraints.

Hopefully this will change soon. We’ve been dealing with LCDs for a looong time.

Oh I agree; our bedroom isn’t set up for a 50” either. It’s just that in order to make an affordable 40-43” OLED, the manufacturers would have to depend on economies of scale and when you go into the store to look at TVs, most of them are the big boys. If you don’t benefit from a massive amount of panels being cranked out, thus lowering the per unit cost, then you end up with something like the Dell 30” OLED monitor for $3500 which was just ridiculous. But not arguing at all that smaller TVs have their place. I can’t stick a 50”+ TV everywhere that we have a set; it’s just not feasible due to space constraints.

Hopefully this will change soon. We’ve been dealing with LCDs for a looong time.
How small is your bed room. Mine is about it a 10x10 and feel anything less then a 55" is too small. Unless your need one Ina kitchen or dorm room 55" should be the minimal size!

How small is your bed room. Mine is about it a 10x10 and feel anything less then a 55" is too small. Unless your need one Ina kitchen or dorm room 55" should be the minimal size!

Oh, but to be part of the "aged". That is, a 25" TV was about the most affordable one could possess. We have 32" (old) LCD sets on our bedrooms, they're IPS and just 720p, but they work.... the nice thing is that we (the aged) can replace them as needed with TVs costing less than $200 and still get a huge size upgrade.

Our "big screen" TV is 55" in the family room.

And.... we get to send our kids to college...

2x3. I sleep in a closet because I’ve been bad.

Just kidding; much of it is personal preference and room layout (not just room size). For example, our current arrangement has the TV on a chest of drawers in the corner, so it’s caddy cornered and a 55” would stick out from the wall WAY too much.

I could rearrange the furniture so that the TV was directly in front of the bed and go for something bigger, but even then, the flashing light from a TV really annoys my fiancée when she’s trying to go to sleep. No way would she put up with a 50-something inch TV at night lol.

Pretty sure i'm gonna use my KS8000 until the thing croaks, and by then OLEDs will likely be the new standard or at least be a lot cheaper. I don't see enough of a reason to upgrade any time soon.
I am in the same boat. I have a 55inch ks8000 for my main tv. When 65 to 70 inch OLED get cheaper i will move the ks8000 to the upstairs loft and retire the old 10 year old Vizio xst 42incher

That is true. I coudl be wrong but my understanding is the B7A models will not pass Atmos at all. In other words if you are using any of the built in apps then Atmos will not be possible at all and if an external source you will need to connect the course directly the the AVR and not use the ARC capabilities.

Alright, I had thought that I knew the answer to this as I have a B7A ($1300 shipped no-tax from Newegg last year!) and an Atmos receiver, but I also use an Nvidia Shield, so I'm not entirely sure I've tried known Atmos content on the built-in apps.

I will say that the Shield apps do have limitations placed by the app developers so I have tried the TV apps for those things.

I'll have to try it when I get home to see if Atmos passes through the ARC.

Back