LG 55" Oled to Gaming Monitor?

shadow2761

Limp Gawd
Been playing some competative online fps games lately but realised I will most likely need a proper gaming monitor to enhance my experience or so because of their higher refresh rate, 100-144Hz as opposed to my TVs 60Hz and slow input lag.

But, I have been gaming on my 55" LG Oled TV for the past 3.5 years! I have actually forgot what a computer monitor looks like and feels like for gaming. So when I went to Harvey Norman store to look at a few gaming monitors on display, I was shocked at how inferior the panels looked and felt, compared to my LG Oled TV.

I looked at a number of various different PC monitors, and the first thing I can't fathem is downsizing from 55" to a smaller sized screen for gaming. The second thing, is the image quality is no where near that of the Oled TV. The PC panels that I looked at all look plastic and the picture does not look solid like it does on the Oled TV, maybe its the glass on the Oled TV that enhances the image as opposed to the plastic screens on the monitors which to me feels like the image is soft.

So, if I get a PC monitor for gaming I will have to sacrifice size and image quality for the higher refresh rate and lower input lag. I really want to try and get competative so I have no choice but to do this rite?

Is there any PC monitors out there that will rival the image quality, look and feel of my Oled TV?

I will only use the monitor for SDR and HDR gaming, not watching HDR movies as I will do that on my Oled TV.

I was looking at the LG38G950, ASUS XG438Q, ACER 43", just to keep the size as big as possible. Will they offer any where near as quality or will they look and feel plastic aswell compared to the Oled?

Some other options I could consider Asus PG35V or Samsung CRG9?

This year's LG OLEDs support 120Hz refresh (only up to 1440p until a HDMI 2.1 source arrives) and very low input lag (~7ms for a 120Hz source iirc). That would avoid some compromises. Although, the real features of 120Hz 4k and variable refresh rate will only arrive with HDMI 2.1, whenever that shows up on video cards.

That's what I'm getting once an HDMI 2.1 video card shows up.

yes I have read about the newer LG Oleds.

RTINGS have over 50 tests recorded 13.1-13.3 ms input lag on average. Not terrible at all, especially good for a TV, but still at the competative level I would probably want it to be a bit lower than that. Atleast around the 5-8ms max.

and people are reporting issues with 120Hz 1440p or higher on these units aswell. They see frame drops, hitching etc. I have yet to hear about anyone able to run 1440p @ 120Hz stable on these new LG Oled units. Please link me to information on it if it indeed is possible without issues, thanks.

The Dell OLED monitor would be the closest picture quality wise, but isn't produced anymore and was only 60 Hz. The Apple XDR is about as close to OLED picture quality as you are going to get with an LCD, and once again 60 Hz. The ASUS PG35V would be the next in line, but will have VA smear and halo'ing. Basically any computer monitor is going to look like dog shit compared to OLED.

I haven't heard anything about the 2019 OLED's having issue playing 1440p@120 Hz. RTINGs tested 1440p@120Hz on the C9 and got 6.8ms. That is fantastic. Highest end gaming monitors are only a few ms faster. There are no HDMI 2.1 GPU's so 4K/120Hz cannot be tested yet, but is expected to be the same input lag number.

I'm just waiting for HDMI 2.1 GPU's to replace my C8 with a C9 or maybe even C10 by the time the GPU's come out. In the meantime, I am getting the LG 38G950 to share the desk with my C8.

Hmm, that's very interesting 6.8ms with 120hz @ 1440p. Thats basically pro-gaming monitor level rite?

I really do love my E6 Oled. Quality of the screen is just next level compared to the monitors out there. So maybe I might go for the LG C9?

I am getting into PUBG alot lately so I gotta make sure the display is fast lol.

It's just a fact of life that a LCD will have a worse picture quality when compared to an OLED. Here's what I would do:
I would find a cheap "gaming" monitor and use it for a couple of weeks to see if it actually improves your gaming when compared to the OLED. If it doesn't, return the monitor and never worry about it again.
Hmm, that's very interesting 6.8ms with 120hz @ 1440p. Thats basically pro-gaming monitor level rite?

I really do love my E6 Oled. Quality of the screen is just next level compared to the monitors out there. So maybe I might go for the LG C9?

I am getting into PUBG alot lately so I gotta make sure the display is fast lol.
The best "pro gaming" monitors have input lag of 2-3 ms, but I don't think anyone is going to notice a difference between 7 and 3 at that scale. Personally, I don't notice myself having a harder time at a game until input lag goes above 20 ms. I bought a TV 7 years ago just for movies that I tried playing some console games on, but it was hell because it had an input lag of 50 ms even with all the image processing turned off and gaming mode turned on. My C8 gives me no issues at all by comparison with its 21 ms of input lag.

Yeah, you may find your gaming performance is affected more by image quality than that amount of input lag. It depends on the game, situation in the game, how you play, etc.

It's just a fact of life that a LCD will have a worse picture quality when compared to an OLED. Here's what I would do:
I would find a cheap "gaming" monitor and use it for a couple of weeks to see if it actually improves your gaming when compared to the OLED. If it doesn't, return the monitor and never worry about it again.
. My C8 gives me no issues at all by comparison with its 21 ms of input lag.

I actually thought C8 had better input lag then that, I thought they were close to the c9 level. Even the E6 is suppose to be around 20-25ms i think?

Yeah, you may find your gaming performance is affected more by image quality than that amount of input lag. It depends on the game, situation in the game, how you play, etc.

Well like I said, I am really getting into PUBG. So fast competitive FPS is what I am playing atm. I already turned the res from 4K to 1440p on my E6 so that my RTX 2080 Ti can maintain the max refresh on this display, 60 fps @ Ultra. But yeah, wouldn't mind switching upto a 100-144 Hz display now, just hopefully I do not kill too much IQ in the process. :)

LG has supported 1440p/120Hz/HDR since the C7 series, and the C9 *should* support 4k/120Hz/HDR/HDMI VRR if LG/NVIDIA implement everything correctly. That being said, until the TV gets tested with an HDMI 2.1 source I'm holding off upgrading [currently owns a LG B6].

The latest Samsung Quantum Dot TVs [Q8/Q9 series] have comparable features, only with Freesync over HDMI instead of HDMI VRR as it's VRR implementation. That being said, it's 4k VRR window is narrow (60-48Hz); I can't say how this compares to the C9 as the C9's VRR can't be tested yet.

Regardless, I'd hold off in the short term until some HDMI 2.1 sources start showing up so all the new features can be properly tested.

I have a B7 55... should try it with 1440p120, if I can find an appropriate cable- would likely need 15' or a bit more

LG has supported 1440p/120Hz/HDR since the C7 series, and the C9 *should* support 4k/120Hz/HDR/HDMI VRR if LG/NVIDIA implement everything correctly. That being said, until the TV gets tested with an HDMI 2.1 source I'm holding off upgrading [currently owns a LG B6].

The latest Samsung Quantum Dot TVs [Q8/Q9 series] have comparable features, only with Freesync over HDMI instead of HDMI VRR as it's VRR implementation. That being said, it's 4k VRR window is narrow (60-48Hz); I can't say how this compares to the C9 as the C9's VRR can't be tested yet.

Regardless, I'd hold off in the short term until some HDMI 2.1 sources start showing up so all the new features can be properly tested.
The C8 does not support 2560x1440 at any refresh rate. As far as I know the 9-series OLED is the first one to support it.

My issue with running 1440p 120Hz on the OLED is you would either have it be 1:1 and end up with a small 1440p screen in middle or let the TV upscale 1440p to fit a 4k 55 inch screen and neither solution is optimal for me. If you have been using an OLED TV for over 3 years then it's probably a C6 so I wouldn't bother wasting any money on a crappy monitor and instead just use that saved money to buy an HDMI 2.1 Nvidia 7nm GPU and a C9/C10 OLED for 4k120Hz.

I grew tired of gaming and working on a 55" OLED. Just too big, even if you have space for it. Mine stands on a custom desk specifically designed (by me) to accommodate the 55" OLED and two active monitors (speakers) on the sides. Can't wait to replace it by a normal PC monitor. Hopefully by the LG 38GL950G.

I think it depends on what you are doing with it. For me, flight and space sims the 55" OLED is sweet. But for desktop work and first person shooters, not so much.

That's why I hope Alienware comes out with a 4K/120Hz "monitor" version using the 48" LG OLED panel supposedly coming in 2020. That seven less inches would take quite a bit of the overwhelming factor out the display.

I think it depends on what you are doing with it. For me, flight and space sims the 55" OLED is sweet. But for desktop work and first person shooters, not so much.

That's why I hope Alienware comes out with a 4K/120Hz "monitor" version using the 48" LG OLED panel supposedly coming in 2020. That seven less inches would take quite a bit of the overwhelming factor out the display.
A large screen is also great for driving games.

one thing to be aware of with oled is burnin with static images, just saw a picture a road tech brought in. had his dish tv guide burnt into it.

I'm using a 55" c9 OLED to play games on and it is absolutely amazing.

Me too, I love PC gaming on the E6 55". The solid vibrant colors is really next level image quality compared to traditional PC monitors.

My only drawback is the limited 60Hz and 20-28ms response times on this unit :(

Me too. Running at 1440p@120Hz using 2080ti.

do any of you guys experience any hitching or frame stutter etc when using 1440p @ 120Hz?

Can't wait to replace it by a normal PC monitor. Hopefully by the LG 38GL950G.

yea but that 38GL950 only has HDR400. Yuck!
Needs to be atleast HDR600

one thing to be aware of with oled is burnin with static images, just saw a picture a road tech brought in. had his dish tv guide burnt into it.

I know, my E6 has alot of image retention from gaming lol

But I seriously never knew they existed until someone told me how to do a image burn test.

Definitely, yes. Depends on the game. For racing sims it is perfect, but for games with lots of tiny details, such as Rage 2 or Assassin Odyssey, it becomes a little tiresome experience due to smearing in 4K 60Hz. I don't see shit in motion. Might as well play on low preset... What's the point in all the textures if you can't see them, or can see them but only stationary. I had to spend couple of months with my 17" gaming notebook with 1080p 120Hz resolution, hardware gsync and 1080GTX gpu, and when I got back to the desktop with 55" OLED later on, I just couldn't stomach the size and blur of the 4k 60Hz no more in these games. I can sacrifice the HDR, just to have the fluid motion and see all (or most of) the details that my overclocked 2080 Ti renders for me. Thankfully games of today have plenty of them.
Will look into the Alienware, though I thought it was a modded 55".

No way to make 60 Hz look good.

The Alienware is coming out with 55" version first, I was just saying LG is starting up a 48" production line and hopefully Alienware makes one in that size too.

Is there a decent quantum dots Samsung monitor?

Not as good as OLED, but looks better on TVs than most any monitor I’ve ever seen.

This OLED sizes are just too big, IMO.

A 30 or 32” 16x9 monitor is just about perfect, or a 38” 21:9 monitor.

We live in imperfect times... although arguably we always do lol! HDMI 2.1 on GPUs is probably a solid year away so we can't take advantage of any 120Hz TV yet (given they all lack Display Port)... 4K high refresh is crazy expensive at 27", non-existent above that until you get to the upcoming 43" monitors from Asus and Acer, but even they will be too big for most... not to mention all still LCD and with other limitations. That said, I do think Asus have priced the XG438Q quite sensibly... an unusual occurrence with new monitor releases.

The aforementioned LG 48" OLED is interesting, but will have 91 PPI... that's worse than 32" 1440p (which looks soft). You've well and truly lost the sharpness benefits of 4K at that point... depending on viewing distance of course, so anyone considering 48" as a desktop monitor would need to factor that in. For a small lounge set-up etc though (which is what LG are aiming this towards), it definitely fills a gap.

We really need HDMI 2.1 in GPUs before options open up further, but I don't hold out much hope for OLED given the burn in issues that will inevitably occur for people who are sat in front of their PCs all day, long gaming sessions with HUDs on-screen etc. MicroLED offers hope here, but that's a good 5+ years away if we're lucky.

Well I was looking at the Samsung 49" 2019 model, but I can't really dig the short vertical height of the screen.

Coming from a nice big 55" TV, it looks like the Samsung has been chopped horizontally in half and I would be playing a game with half the display.

Talking about PPI without viewing distance is kinda pointless. For clarity perception you need both variables. Sitting far back from a 10ppi screen can be considered "retina" if the screen is large enough.

Hey vega, i see in your sig you have the 38GL950G

Can you PM me, I would like to discuss some things about it if you would, please? Thanks.

No that is my future display that I am purchasing as soon as it comes available.

Lmao you aint gonna follow thru with that purchase!

giphy.gif

So I went to have a look at my friends Predator X34 yesterday to compare.

First thing I noticed immediately is the loss in fidelity and quality of all the graphics on this screen compared to my Oled.

I really dislike the backlight bleeding also on PC monitors, something that is not present on Oleds.

That monitor was suppose to be high end, and if that is the quality of what todays high end monitors are s also like, then I am seriously inclined to stay with Oleds and just upgrade to a C9.

Edge lit IPS is hot garbage and it's dumb how the internet tries to make it seem like it's soooooo superior to TN/VA. The viewing angles argument can be tossed out the window because the moment you display any dark scenery then a big chunk of your screen gets glowed up which is just as bad as TN viewing angle shifts. The only savior for IPS is FALD but they only make a single FALD IPS in a measely 27" size and with only 384 zones.

We really need HDMI 2.1 in GPUs before options open up further, but I don't hold out much hope for OLED given the burn in issues that will inevitably occur for people who are sat in front of their PCs all day, long gaming sessions with HUDs on-screen etc. MicroLED offers hope here, but that's a good 5+ years away if we're lucky.

I'm expecting the next series of GPUs will support 2.1; people are pestering NVIDIA on their official reddit over it a ton right now, so there's vocal demand for it.

As for OLED, I've yet to have an issue though I've been careful. I was scared to death Stellaris would cause burn in (lots of overlays), but thankfully they're 50% transparent by default which seems to avoid the issue. By contrast, one Beta I played insisted of having a blue BETA overlay in the corner that caused temporary image retention that went away after a half hour. Really, as long as you don't have a constant overlay there shouldn't be any problems. That being said, I do recommend sticking with a black desktop background, just in case.

Edge lit IPS is hot garbage and it's dumb how the internet tries to make it seem like it's soooooo superior to TN/VA. The viewing angles argument can be tossed out the window because the moment you display any dark scenery then a big chunk of your screen gets glowed up which is just as bad as TN viewing angle shifts. The only savior for IPS is FALD but they only make a single FALD IPS in a measely 27" size and with only 384 zones.

FALD is not the only savior. ZERO glow on my NEC 2490 with A-TW filter.

The only savior for IPS is FALD but they only make a single FALD IPS in a measely 27" size and with only 384 zones.

There isn't just one FALD monitor, there is also the ASUS PG35VQ, and that has 512 dimming zones.

But have you seen the reviews, you have halo effects around white pointers in the domming zones.

Not that noticeable in games but very noticeable on desktop.

Oleds the way to go! lol

A-TW filter helps with glow but they don't use them anymore and it does nothing for the abysmal contrast of IPS. 1000:1 is not good at all.

1000:1 is fine in a normally lit room. I'll take a stable image over higher contrast shifty VA monitors every time (forget that mess called TN).

Though OLED would obviously be much nicer than either.

Back