LG 55" LED 1080p 120Hz HDTV 55LN5100 $500

They had lots of these in store last night. YMMV.

From what i can tell, no wifi or ethernet, but a roku or such could fix that.

These are still available at a couple places locally in Maine and for free delivery to stores.

I think LG and Best Buy messed up by not making more info in this TV available. The TV isn't as stripped down as some people believed and has things like Picture Wizard, HDMI-CEC, 1:1 pixel mapping, low input lag, an ambient light sensor, and what appears to be the same panel from the 5400 series TVs.

Last edited:
Anyone have have hands on experience with this model or reliable reviews(Other than the customer reviews on bestbuy.com)?

I have this set for delivery next weekend...

Anyone have have hands on experience with this model or reliable reviews(Other than the customer reviews on bestbuy.com)?

I have this set for delivery next weekend...

I have one. Happy with the TV for the price, I sold a 50 inch plasma I was using to get this. Blacks on this are not going to be confused with plasma blacks, but the color is good and feature set is fine. Screen uniformity is better than a $1300 Samsung edge lit TV I had for a couple if weeks.

This TV has less light reflection (off the screen) and is brighter so my kid will like it. Plus I don't have to worry about playing games for 6 hours straight and getting screen burn in.

Last edited:
Well I am probably returning this. The panel isn't an IPS panel (as was originally reported) and the off axis viewing experience is pretty dreadful.

Well I am probably returning this. The panel isn't an IPS panel (as was originally reported) and the off axis viewing experience is pretty dreadful.

Were you expecting much more from a $500 55" LED LCD?

C'mon man..... If you want high quality, spend a few bucks and quit being cheap.

C'mon man..... If you want high quality, spend a few bucks and quit being cheap.

Unsure if this is still the case, but at least in the past, some of the cheapest LG displays still used S-IPS panels (it's a lottery).

Anyone know of any other 55" smart TV deals for under $700? I'm trying to find my bro one since he missed the 55" Vizio smart TV deal at Sam's Club on BF.

Unsure if this is still the case, but at least in the past, some of the cheapest LG displays still used S-IPS panels (it's a lottery).

Yeah, but its not like guarantee an IPS panel. Not only that, its $500 fuckin dollars. You get what you pay for.

Anyone know of any other 55" smart TV deals for under $700? I'm trying to find my bro one since he missed the 55" Vizio smart TV deal at Sam's Club on BF.

What about a regular TV and a Google ChromeCast?

Yeah I had a $1400 Samsung and it was worse than this. Spending money doesn't guarantee anything.

What about a regular TV and a Google ChromeCast?

That's exactly what I recommended to him. I think he would go for it if I found a good enough TV for his budget too. I just don't feel good recommending to him these cheapo brands that are the only ones in his budget (Heier, TCL, Element, etc.). That 55" Vizio for $550 would have been perfect had we got there in time.

Yeah I had a $1400 Samsung and it was worse than this. Spending money doesn't guarantee anything.

Yeah, it was probably a model from 4 years ago too lol.... I agree paying more doesnt always get you more but you usually do get what you pay for in general.

I paid $600 on a super sale for my 40" Samsung 1080p LCD (not even LED) about 3-4 years ago. Was a steal back then but doesnt compare to what I can get for $400 nowadays.

Yeah, it was probably a model from 4 years ago too lol.... I agree paying more doesnt always get you more but you usually do get what you pay for in general.

I paid $600 on a super sale for my 40" Samsung 1080p LCD (not even LED) about 3-4 years ago. Was a steal back then but doesnt compare to what I can get for $400 nowadays.

It was a new edge lit LED ES6500 model (Smart TV with 3D). The screen uniformity (flash lighting and clouding) was absolutely dreadful on both models I tried. Also there were numerous "features" that could not be disabled and were apparently designed to hide the uniformity problems.

I think the 3 and 4 year old Samsungs were actually better than newer ones. Samsung uses up to 4 different panel manufacturers for each model now as well, with drastically different results based on who make the panels. The newer TVs are selling on style and being slim. The move to edge lit TVs has done put picture quality back a few years.

Last edited:
It was a new edge lit LED ES6500 model (Smart TV with 3D). The screen uniformity (flash lighting and clouding) was absolutely dreadful on both models I tried. Also there were numerous "features" that could not be disabled and were apparently designed to hide the uniformity problems.

I think the 3 and 4 year old Samsungs were actually better than newer ones. Samsung uses up to 4 different panel manufacturers for each model now as well, with drastically different results based on who make the panels. The newer TVs are selling on style and being slim. The move to edge lit TVs has done put picture quality back a few years.

I agree that *SOME* of the edge lit models definitely set PQ back by instead promoting super thin footprints..I have a Panasonic 42" that is edge lit and was one of the first sets to use an S-IPS Panel (from late 2010)..It has wonder PQ, better then a few of the other older Higher end LCD and Plasma sets I have owned or viewed (that were properly setup).

Got this TV all set up. While the Panasonic plasma I have definitely offers a better overall picture (especially the blacks), this LG is fantastic for the money. In fact, regardless of the price, it just offers a great picture period. If you don't need all the "smart" features and they offer this deal again, I'd definitely jump on it. Props to the OP for getting the word out.

Back