LG 55 inch OLED C8 2018 - $1579

Jaw dropping picture quality, this set was my first LG OLED and the hype truly was real - snagged one off CL for $1200.

However I wouldn't pay $1579 + Tax to a third party Newegg seller which is almost guaranteed not to be an authorized dealer. If you want to roll the dice like that then might as well go eBay.

If you watch Slickdeals, the B8P and C8P sets fall to $12xx frequently. Hell, the E8P which is more expensive than the C8P due to glass over the screen and better speakers, fell to $1349 three times in December (E8P>C8P>B8P). My 2c.

Fair enough. They seem to have pretty decent reviews but I see your point. I actually didn't notice it was 3rd party. Thanks for pointing that out!

Wasn't a criticism, btw, just my experience since I researched this LG OLED market more than I really wanted to.

Basically, if you're going to pay the high end of the "on sale" range, might as well wait a week or two for an authorized dealer deal so you have that peace of mind.

If I could go back, I would get the B8P and leave +$200 in my pocket rather than C8P, since only diff is the processor, and it made no difference to my eyes when I ran the B8P+C8P side by side in mirrored mode off a GPU.

I've had my B7 for over a year ($1399 in November 2017) and I'm still gobsmacked every time I turn it on. The hype is definitely real.

I use it as my primary PC monitor and no signs of image retention or burn in (of course I take a few precautions). Simply incredible!

I've had a LG OLED 55C6 and 65B6 for about 2.5 years now and they still have stunning picture quality compared to non-OLED sets. I can only imagine the picture quality is even more superior on more recent sets.

there is a difference between C, B and E supposedly some are better, idk if that's by feature or panel though. i'd think oled is flat amazing either way.

Got the 55C8 a few months back from Buydig for $1499 on a call in deal I saw on slickdeals. Buydig is an authorized LG dealer so I'd keep a lookout for something like that.

As far as the B8 vs C8 vs E8, they all have the same panel, but the imaging processor on the C8 and E8 are supposedly better. The E8 and C8 are supposed to be identical, apart from the aesthetics and speakers.

Got the 55C8 a few months back from Buydig for $1499 on a call in deal I saw on slickdeals. Buydig is an authorized LG dealer so I'd keep a lookout for something like that.

As far as the B8 vs C8 vs E8, they all have the same panel, but the imaging processor on the C8 and E8 are supposedly better. The E8 and C8 are supposed to be identical, apart from the aesthetics and speakers.

Right, B8 is base with A7 processor, C8 gets you A9 processor, and E9 gets you A9 processor, glass on panel and better speakers.

In my experience the A9/A7 difference is placebo more than anything. I've read the actual tech differences and they don't apply to mine or probably most use cases (240FPS HFR, supposedly better gradients but I couldn't see it, etc)

What about the burn in protection. Wasn't that a major selling point for the C8 over the B8 or is it just bullocks?

What about the burn in protection. Wasn't that a major selling point for the C8 over the B8 or is it just bullocks?
I've had my B7A 55" since September 2017. Business news on 6-8 hours/day while I'm working at home, so even with scrolling along the bottom of the screen, there's no sign of burn-in whatsoever. The TV has a built-in features like pixel refresher and screen shift to prevent burn-in.

Worth a quick read: https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/oled-tv/reliability

Last edited:
Nope, they all have same panel and run same firmware/OS.

Almost - while they are pretty much the same, they've tweaked a few things on the C8. It has a slimmer picture bezel/border, the stand is wider and a bit more robust, the gradient performance and gray uniformity has been improved, and they've added voice control support. The newer Alpha 9 processor in the C8 also makes the smart apps load and respond a bit snappier than the Alpha 7 used in the B8. But for the most part, these are pretty minor improvements.

Full in-depth comparison here at rtings.com

Almost - while they are pretty much the same, they've tweaked a few things on the C8. It has a slimmer picture bezel/border, the stand is wider and a bit more robust, the gradient performance and gray uniformity has been improved, and they've added voice control support. The newer Alpha 9 processor in the C8 also makes the smart apps load and respond a bit snappier than the Alpha 7 used in the B8. But for the most part, these are pretty minor improvements.

Full in-depth comparison here at rtings.com
Yep I read all that before I got either set .. first I got a deal on a B8, then impulse bought a C8 since I assumed it would be better in some obvious way. Ran them side by side for a week in mirrored mode and just could not tell a difference among variety of content, menu and app performance were also practically identical. I'll keep C8 now that I've got it, but if I had to start over I'd buy a B8 and be done.

I hear ya... but you CAN talk to the C8 and it listens... So I guess... it goes to 11. :D

Edit: My bad, it seems they both have voice input!

Last edited:
Dang it. How bad is the input lag for the C8? I paid 1500 or so euros for mine and love it. But I do want to game on it

Dang it. How bad is the input lag for the C8? I paid 1500 or so euros for mine and love it. But I do want to game on it

Not bad at all! The 8 series has around 21ms of lag, which is VERY acceptable. Game away. You'll have a great experience.

It's just that the 9 series will have even less lag, plus 120Hz @ 4K (my B7 "only" does 120Hz @ 1080p, which is awesome, but moar resolution with lower input lag is always welcome). So I want it.

But anyone with the older/current OLED sets need not wonder what they're missing out on too much unless they're looking to be on the cutting edge of gaming. The current sets already provide a better gaming and TV/movie experience than just about anything else unless you're a multiplayer/competitive/twitch FPS whore. :p

Back