LG 4K OLED Rollable TV

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
LG is showing off its new "rollable" TV screen that does not require a backlight while using OLED technology. While the practicality of actually needing or wanting a roll-up TV screen in your casa, it does actually have some cool features. On the upside, you can put a picture of your mother-in-law behind it and most likely never have to look at it as you will probably not be rolling up your TV too often.

Check out the video.

LG Display has created the world's first large, rollable, ultra-high definition screen. The 4K display uses OLED technology, allowing it to be more flexible than a conventional LED television.

There are a lot of smaller projection systems in conference rooms (that are usually broken) that this could replace

Cant happen soon enough

I'd rather see an affordable OLED than this. TBH this just doesn't sound useful in a TV unless it's really large perhaps.

The "thin" TV that everyone has is going to be so hard to replace because there is nothing inconvenient about them. You can get rather large displays for a decent price. With that, this being cool and all is not enough shock to have someone spend the extra amount of money for the feature of hiding a TV. It's neat but, like VR headsets, not good enough to become mainstream.

I can see this as useful for trade shows. Would make shipping large screens much easier/cheaper.

...and since its so portable it would be major easy to span across two, three or more screens and setup would be simple.

Probably would be the first TV set that you could tape to the walls........literally.

This isn't about dominating the TV market, it's about exploiting a niche for high margin.

this hits a few good niches.

1) conference rooms. This will kick the shit out of projectors and screens and give higher resolution. Which will make the video conferencing weenies wet themselves. And you cna fit it in any place sporting a projection screen without impeding any existing functionality of the room.
2) AS others mentioned. RVs. You got quarter million plus rv? what's an expensive tv if it gives you more spce flexibility?
3) Want a pop up TV, but don't want to replace $25k of fixtures, knee walls, furniture, etc?
4) Want a big ass tv in your bedroom, but the wife was that it will eliminate at least 23 decorative pillows and that's a deal breaker?
etc.

Look at Samsung's "The Frame" This is literally a $700 4k tv jiggered to tolerate being mounted close to the wall with a color option on the frame. For which they mark it up to $2200 street for the smaller size once you add in the cost of the ffrikin frame. All because your wife doesn't think the tv goes with the decor and fuckin Oprah.

So... shit don't have to make sense to you, nor does it have to dominate the market if you can cram an extre $1000-1200 of profit in there.

I will get 2 to replace my TV's in my bedroom and den.

Its nicer and quitter than using hidden TV's in lift mechanisms and drop down lift in ceiling.

gDoAM1

Hmmmm,...still needs speakers, power supply, tuners, Ethernet port, HDMI port,..... Just saying.

The base looks humongous...that said, kind of a cool idea but not really something I could see myself needing or wanting.

......its something that has been thought about for years. I wonder if they manage to work out enough of the bugs to finally bring it to market. We finally have the picture phone its just we call it a smart phone. Rollable Tv? Soon maybe.

More than likely first sold to the convention and enterprise crowd like raz and nutzo suggested.

Flying car? Not yet.

This looks like it would be a nice alternative to short throw projectors and screens in classroom settings. I wonder if it would be cost competitive.

OLED is awesome. First tech that looks like it might be worthy to replace my plasma. My parents picked up the 65" LG OLED over Thanksgiving and it's great.

I'd love this if I could embed the box in my ceiling and let it lower when needed. Would be perfect for bedrooms where you don't necessarily want a TV out in the open all the time, and I'll bet even being new and OLED it would still be cheaper than may similar solutions today that require large systems that take up a lot of room in an attic - especially for some attics where there isn't room (or the ceiling in an apartment or condo with someone above you).

Good stuff!

Would be perfect for bedrooms where you don't necessarily want a TV out in the open all the time, and I'll bet even being new and OLED it would still be cheaper than may similar solutions today that require large systems that take up a lot of room in an attic - especially for some attics where there isn't room (or the ceiling in an apartment or condo with someone above you).
Despite all the naysayers in this thread of this technology, I had the same thought but was also wondering about the possibility of portability this technology might provide. Can I roll up the TV and very-easy transport it to the (in-laws, gf, whoever's place) and use it to watch a movie with my (in-laws, gf, whoever) and not have to watch the latest blockbuster on a 32" SD TV (worst case scenario) but yeah....Even a 55" 4k UHD TV by a reputable brand would be preferable to a 40" Unheard of Brand 1080p for any content.

For me this is a dream come true. We have our projector set up in the living room and have to keep it aimed above the T.V. level. Makes it a little too high. I've experimented with different height stands but as is the T.V. is barely 2 feet above the ground and any lower seemed to low(at one point had it just under a foot). I had thought about building a case w/ step motors and remote to raise and lower the T.V. but decided it would be too much work so something like this would be perfect. I remember once seeing someone who made something similar built into a fancy bed(lol!)

My main concern is longevity, durability. Complex electronic cables/connectors tend to wear out rather quickly with routine daily movement. Motors also can have issues. There's definitely some quality concerns here but I do like the idea of it.

Despite all the naysayers in this thread of this technology, I had the same thought but was also wondering about the possibility of portability this technology might provide. Can I roll up the TV and very-easy transport it to the (in-laws, gf, whoever's place) and use it to watch a movie with my (in-laws, gf, whoever) and not have to watch the latest blockbuster on a 32" SD TV (worst case scenario) but yeah....Even a 55" 4k UHD TV by a reputable brand would be preferable to a 40" Unheard of Brand 1080p for any content.

You know, there is a difference between being a simple "naysayer" to being realistic?

For instance, how are you to listen to that unrolled television? How are you going to plug it in? How are you going to change the channels? Where are all those connectors needed on that rolled up television? And so on.

Sure, the idea of rolling it up and taking it places is neat, but then you would also need a box full of power supply, tuner, speaker, cables.

I do not see this being a portable solution, per se.

OLEDs are not terribly expensive at this point. I mean they are under 3k usually.

It is a matter of perspective and understanding of the technology. I found his amusing because the price of OLED is coming down and LCD is flat. Will it ever be as cheap as LCD...dunno. But when it comes to capability, it beats LCD hands down. But the statement of "I'd rather see an affordable OLED than this" is boggling since they are becoming more affordable.

https://www.oled-info.com/ihs-price-gap-lcd-oled-depreciation-2017-yield

But yeah, how else can we push people to go about 3 TV's per house.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2010/u-s-homes-add-even-more-tv-sets-in-2010.html

We need to see OLED improve in its weaknesses rather than its strengths...

Expensive...

Potential to burn...

Low refresh...

We need to see OLED improve in its weaknesses rather than its strengths...

Expensive...

Potential to burn...

Low refresh...

..actually OLED has the potential to have a higher refresh rate than all other new tech display technologies, with the exception of CLEDIS - which are micro RGB leds. The reason that they arent rated at times as fast is the they were originally designed using electronics from LCD displays. Made them fit the off-the-shelf electronics instead of custom hardware that tweaked the oled advantage. Turn on/ turn off something like one tenth of a millisecond. Plasma is the only one that is maybe faster@600hz.

You know, there is a difference between being a simple "naysayer" to being realistic?
I absolutely agree.

how are you to listen to that unrolled television?
That's a valid point. If the person has a portable bluetooth speaker and/or a stereo system with bluetooth support, that would resolve that issue. Also, sound bars.

How are you going to plug it in? How are you going to change the channels? Where are all those connectors needed on that rolled up television?
These questions seem like less valid points. How you are going to plug it in? With the power cord. It seems redundant to say but for sure this TV will come with a power cord. How do I plug in a laptop(another portable device) when on holidays or over at a friend's place and expecting to stay the night/week/weekend/etc? You bring the power brick and charge cord with you.

How do you control the TV? The same way you control that theoretical laptop. With the mouse you brought in the accessories/laptop bag. It's reasonable for one to presume this tv will come with either an app to control it via your phone or a remote and possibly both. You'd bring your phone if your headed to a friend's house (almost for certain) as most people bring it everywhere. So this might not even be an issue. If there's no app, bringing a remote isn't unreasonable either. Especially, if all the accessories just fit in one bag ala a laptop, projector bag, etc.

To answer the final question, where are all the connectors on your laptop? (Typically the side or back of the unit). I presume, it would be on the upper/left or lower right corner leaving a slight bulge at the very end of rolling it. I imagine it would be a single connection. There's products that have a single cord running to the TV that spans into a multitude of connections via an adapter box like the Vizio P series and I believe Samsung's highest end model. The connection-box usually has like SPDIF, Opitical out, 4-5 HDMIs etc. Engineers have already solved that issue basically.

So to answer most of your questions, using the solutions engineers have already derived, put into application and have been working in the real world with current TVs.

Sure, the idea of rolling it up and taking it places is neat, but then you would also need a box full of power supply, tuner, speaker, cables.
Identical to bringing over a laptop with respect to every issue except speakers. That's a valid point though there might exist workarounds already.

Actually, the only thing you need for the laptop is a headset and a power cord. You need a lot more than that if you intend to use this as purely a monitor and even more hardware is needed if you want it be a television.

It is a display device, not a computer. It has no Wifi hardware, unless you connect to physically to a Wifi device, but it does not have the circuits or software needed to drive the TCP/IP connection. It is a display device, and that is all it is. It depends on everything being external to it.

There is a reason why they are rolling it out of a ginormous box.

Actually, the only thing you need for the laptop is a headset and a power cord. You need a lot more than that if you intend to use this as purely a monitor and even more hardware is needed if you want it be a television.

It is a display device, not a computer. It has no Wifi hardware, unless you connect to physically to a Wifi device, but it does not have the circuits or software needed to drive the TCP/IP connection. It is a display device, and that is all it is. It depends on everything being external to it.

There is a reason why they are rolling it out of a ginormous box.

...<as I wonder if the name BSmith should stop at the letter 'M"> :sneaky:

You seem to forget how these items always find some value somewhere. Ginormous box with a weight of 5 lbs, is easier to get around than a full screen "anything" of a comparable size. Bar none! A projector and its companion screen - the screen weighs more than the rollup display.

So its a matter of if you can afford the convenience.

If there is a way to get a video signal to the screen then there is a way to have sound compliment it. Even one of the newer soundbars could work. The newer ones have HDMI in and out and can process surround and even more channels. Easy way to get the sound to a 'roll-up screen'.

Compliment the sound bar to your output device of choice, laptop maybe, and you are ready to put on your show.

As far as Wifi and other connections, you dont really know that. All can be implemented. Just a matter of if the folks that can buy one wants it. You dont really think that if 100% of the folks that buy one and request Wifi, that they wont get it? Do you?

A display device can have as much as requested. Remember that an OLED and all display technologies have a CPU driving their circuits. Maybe seen as simple circuitry, its really takes a CPU to drive all of the things that go into gui and onscreen display and just the overall need to keep track of all of the dynamics that LCD's, LED's and OLED's use to put a picture to screen. Its really a digital<read computer> display.

Dont know if there is extra processing power available from the CPU to TCP/IP but adding a raspberry pi to do so, wouldnt be a problem.

You now have a glorified and really large screen chromebook....and expensive too....

Oh, I did not forget anything. I never said there was not a market for this. Quite the opposite. There is, but it is not going to be one of rolling up the screen and taking it to a friends house. Sure you could do it, but you'd also need all the gear the screen needs to actually be useful toted along with the rolled up screen.

I do not see it as being any more or less convienient than hauling a rolled up white screen hanging from the wall with a projector. Matter of fact, I think the projectors may actually be smaller.

The box I see in the demo is quite large and bulky. As a fixed installation it has appeal. As a mobile application, I am not so sure.

And yes, I get the "BS" reference all the time, even when it does not make any sense.

The box I see in the demo is quite large and bulky. As a fixed installation it has appeal. As a mobile application, I am not so sure.

And yes, I get the "BS" reference all the time, even when it does not make any sense.

I dont see the average mobile use, but I do see the convention, Tony Robbins or "Buy real estate with no money down" seminar buying one (a few?).

Only for the "not so average" consumer to show off a lil.

As far as the "BS" reference, its because folks name is sometimes a pointer to the personality of the person. If a person takes the name 'Fullofcrapu2" you can expect BS answers at times. Will start S**t. Your "B" followed by "S"mith looks like a fire starter. So you take the stance that the answer may be a lure.

Back