LG 48CX

I’m thinking about getting a 48CX for my office, but don’t have the option of going on a stand behind the desk. Would 36” be too close? What’s the optimal viewing distance for a 48” screen?

Also, what’s a good price for those? I see Costco.com has these for $1450, but the 55” in store is 1400. Is this something I can find for around 12-1300 if I shop around for a week or 2?

I’m thinking about getting a 48CX for my office, but don’t have the option of going on a stand behind the desk. Would 36” be too close? What’s the optimal viewing distance for a 48” screen?
It's workable but a bit close. A bit more distance would be my recommendation. Also notice that the stock display stand pokes out a lot from the back so you can't put it very close to a wall.

It's workable but a bit close. A bit more distance would be my recommendation. Also notice that the stock display stand pokes out a lot from the back so you can't put it very close to a wall.
Yeah, I think i'd be going with a wall mount, the 36' is to the front my current display which is about 4' off the wall. Thanks!

Also, what’s a good price for those? I see Costco.com has these for $1450, but the 55” in store is 1400. Is this something I can find for around 12-1300 if I shop around for a week or 2?

I don't think the 48" discounts much at all, other than gift cards and things - supply is much less than the 55". But it will probably come down in price closer to the C1 release.

36" is probably the min distance that it works at. I have an aftermarket stand that lets me push it towards the end of my desk and I get about 36" from where I sit, and it's great, I can play FPS on it fullscreen without an issue. Wall mount would be even better but I have a standing desk so that's a nogo.

Yeah, I think i'd be going with a wall mount, the 36' is to the front my current display which is about 4' off the wall. Thanks!

The 48” CX screen sits 8” from the wall when butted up against it. I sit ~36” to 39” from the screen (depending on posture) and it’s great. I could sit a bit closer or further away and it would still work fine. You can follow THX/SMPTE viewing distance guidelines if you want, I calculated those for the hell of it, but ultimately I just used my eyes to determine the best position and ~36” or so is where I settled.

I'll chime in and say that 36" is probably the perfect sitting distance for gaming on a 48" TV.

I would wait until the 2021 models are released. At that point you'll be able to find good deals on the 2020 models. The new TVs usually release around March-May.

85-90 cm for me, that's 33-35 inch

Took those, mounted them reverse and cut off at the back, so i can position my CX48 closest possible to my wall but still on the desk. Minimal visible feet at the front and also positioned lower that the original stand
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B073WVF5NG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need to keep it on the desk to preserve electrical height adjustment!

Attachments

• IMG_20210203_161425.jpg
    IMG_20210203_161425.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210203_161351.jpg
    IMG_20210203_161351.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2021-02-03_16h21_53.png
    2021-02-03_16h21_53.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am using BetterClearTypeTuner now with the following settings and windows scaling at 100%
Greyscale, Arial

Here you see the difference between default and BetterClearTypeTuner, try it!
a) default
b) BCTT

Attachments

• nvcp_a.png
    nvcp_a.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • nvcp_b.jpg
    nvcp_b.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • taskmgr_a.png
    taskmgr_a.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • taskmgr_b.jpg
    taskmgr_b.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Also i now tested a USB 3.0 -> Gigabit Adapter from CableMatters, works like a charm

The USB-Adapter identifies the TV as 'LGwebOSTV' on my switch, the integrated NIC identifies the TV as 'LG--webOS-TV-OLED48CX8LC'

Perceived subjecticive performance advantage on buffering is around 40-50 better with the USB adapter

Searching for a objective performance measure. Can we copy files to the TV so I can measure speed/bandwidth? I found no SMB/SSH or FTP-Server active on the TV

I've posted how feel about the viewing distances several time in the thread, most recently here:
imo 38" to 41" minimum for this panel which is over 3' to 3.5', not 2'... or you are going to be making some compromises.
... THX sweet spot of 50deg wide viewing angle for movie viewing starts at 44.4" away for the 48 inch diagonal screen.

Whether you agree or not about the distances I quoted for your own use, you can still use this below as a reference point +/- for what the same PPD would be across all of these monitor sizes. I think watching movies/streams and even different types of games (racing, flying, rts, uw rez, etc) could benefit from different view distances so a setup that allowed for varying view distances (if possible) would probably work out the best.

Example reference points I made using a nvidia viewing angle calculator
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A 54 degree viewing angle (closer than the THX standard's movie viewing sweet spot of 45 - 50 deg) resulting in the same ~71 to 72 PPD at 4k on all of these monitor sizes at their respective distances :

48" 16:9 display = 41" view distance ( ~ 3.5 ' )
42" 16:9 display = 35.9" view distance ( ~ 3' )
31.5" 16:9 display = 27" view distance ( ~ 2.4')
27" 16:9 display = 23" view distance ( ~ 2')

----------------------------------------

A 58 degree viewing angle resulting in the same 66.6 PPD at 4k on all of these monitor sizes at their respective distances:

48" 16:9 display = 38" view distance ( ~ 3 ' + 2")
42" 16:9 display = 33.3" view distance ( ~ 2' + 9")
31.5" 16:9 display = 25" view distance ( ~ 2' + 1")
27" 16:9 display = 21.4" view distance ( ~ 1' + 9")

Also i now tested a USB 3.0 -> Gigabit Adapter from CableMatters, works like a charm

The USB-Adapter identifies the TV as 'LGwebOSTV' on my switch, the integrated NIC identifies the TV as 'LG--webOS-TV-OLED48CX8LC'

Perceived subjecticive performance advantage on buffering is around 40-50 better with the USB adapter

Searching for a objective performance measure. Can we copy files to the TV so I can measure speed/bandwidth? I found no SMB/SSH or FTP-Server active on the TV

I'm not sure what the bottleneck is but I tested using the web browser and a few speed test web pages. That is using the web browser that comes with the TV in the OSD when you hit the home button (it looks like a globe).

I keep my wifi turned off on the tv ever since I set it up. I just now swapped a usb3 to ethernet adapter I keep in my backpack to the usb3 port on the tv. Both the "Wired Connection (Ethernet)" and the "WiFi connection" in the TV OSD show as "not connected now". I just launched plex in WebOS and it loaded a video file so it seems to be working. I haven't done any bandwidth testing though.

Using this:
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethernet-Gigabit-10-100-1000-Compatible/dp/B00AQM8586

Some of the reviews say it reduces the speed on macs but overall the reviews from linux and PC are positive so I'll have to see how it goes on the TV.

On speedtest by okla I got
22 Mbps down, 240 Mps up on a single test.
That's using the webos web browser. The web page seemd a little clunky though and it's the first time I used the web browser on the tv.

On speakeasy using the same WebOS internet browser I got
36 Mbps down, 246 Mbps up.
4.5 MB/s down, 30.7 MB/s up.

edit:
I tested again on a different server and got
48.2 Mbps down ~> 6 MB/s

On my pc I get 10x faster or more down on fios gigabit, which is around equal to the higher upload speed results I posted above.
On steam and some other services I can usually get higher.

The point here is the same server test on the TV using my usb3.0 ethernet adapter is 10x slower down for some reason but the uploads seem fine.
I haven't run any LAN speed tests and I didn't test the built in ethernet port before I switched to compare. On paper if the built in ethernet port is 100mbit it would have a theoretical max of 12.5 MB/sec (maybe less real world).. ...

So these download speeds are very poor (6 MB/sec) on my usb3 adapter but the upload speeds are 31 MB/s compared to the theoretical max of 100mbit being 12.5mb/sec.

edit: on the TV's wifi on (5Ghz right next to the router) I got
47 Mbps down, 219 Mbps up which is about the same download speed as the best I got on the usb3.0 ethernet adapter so maybe there is some bottleneck with the TV

I might have to look into getting a 2019 shield with it's gigabit ethernet adapter eventually.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm not sure what the bottleneck is but I tested using the web browser and a few speed test web pages. That is using the web browser that comes with the TV in the OSD when you hit the home button (it looks like a globe).

Perfect, that was the benchmark I looked for!

My internet connection is a nominal 250/100 MBit Download/Upload fiber connection connected at ↓ 283,2 Mbit/s ↑ 113,3 Mbit/s

My results are:

PC Gigabit Ethernet
270,1 down - 107,1 up - 6ms ping

LG TV wired ethernet connection
100,5 down - 99,5 up - 8ms ping

LG TV wireless ac 5GHz AP far away
42,5 down - 69,5 up - 12ms ping

LG TV wireless ac 5GHz AP closeby
125 down - 105 up - 12ms ping

LG TV wired usb30-ethernet connection
135,5 down - 107,5 up - 8ms ping

It seems as if the usb30 adapter on the tv's usb 2.0 port is capped at 135,5 Mbit/s

Reactions: MrTX
like this

My internet connection is a nominal 250/100 MBit Download/Upload fiber connection connected at ↓ 283,2 Mbit/s ↑ 113,3 Mbit/s

My results are:

PC Gigabit Ethernet

It seems as if the usb30 adapter on the tv's usb 2.0 port is capped at 135,5 Mbit/s
The bottleneck could be the builtin browser's javascript engine only being able to run the bandwidth test so fast too. USB2.0 is theoretically 480Mbps.

I am using BetterClearTypeTuner now with the following settings and windows scaling at 100%
Greyscale, Arial

Here you see the difference between default and BetterClearTypeTuner, try it!
a) default
b) BCTT
Great that you were able to solve your issues. BCTT settings look better for sure.

I'll state again that the BCTT font setting does not affect anything. It's simply there so you can compare how different fonts look like in the preview window.

So just playing around with BetterClearTypeTuner and someone else mentioned they used Greyscale, but on mine this looks downright awful. What actually looks the best is unchecking the enable font anti aliasing box, which I'm assuming is just turning clear type completely off? In any regard none of the settings, including turning off clear type, reduce the ghosting with text. I read in another thread that this was expected behavior somewhat with OLED's, but I can't find that thread anymore. It's really distracting and between this and the horrendous ASBL I'm really close to just returning this, BUT... it just looks so damn good in games.

I sit about 20-23" from it and its ok.
Right now I sit 20" from it, but will be changing my desk to be a bit deeper, so will be sitting 27" from the screen.

Actually, THX recommended viewing angle is 40 degree, not 45-50. For 48", that means a viewing distance of ~4.8'.
https://www.inchcalculator.com/tv-size-viewing-distance-calculator/

Note that THX based their recommendation on the field of view of the human eye, for which the resolution decreases significantly after ~45 degree.

Of course, high def FOV can vary a bit by individual and after testing I decided that 4' (47 degree) was the optimal distance for my 48". I think it is fair to say that 3' (60 degree) is on the extreme end and I wound never recommend this to someone else (of course, I am not arguing with taste and good for you if you like such setup!).

The 45 to 50 degree is the sweet spot of viewing angle width if you take thx, smpte, and 20th century fox standards into consideration.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013314viewing-angles/
Erick%2520Garci%2520diagram.gif
New cinemas built to THX specifications have a minimum viewing angle of 36 degrees from the last row of seats. The viewing angle ‘sweet spot’ seems to be around 45-50 degrees where SMPTE, THX and 20th Century Fox recommendations converge. This matches quite closely with CEDIA’s 43 degree viewing angle recommendation for 2.4:1 ‘Cinemascope’ content as per CEB-23. For reference 43 degrees is 3x picture height using a 2.35:1 screen.

But that is for movie watching in particular. Gaming can be different. Even different games (racing, flight sims etc. for example) could benefit from different view distances than other game types. Also ultrawide resolutions would probably benefit from a few different viewing distances depending on what game type being played in uw.

30 inch viewing distance on a 48inch 4k is 55 ppd (and is a 70 degree wide viewing angle).

That would equate to a 16.75 inch viewing distance on a 27 inch 4k screen at the same 55ppd and ~70 degree viewing angle.
That's just under ~1' 5" which is little close but usable at 4k ppi.

I don't think sitting closer to either screen would be optimal in regard to making the ppi look worse and also the viewing angle.

Personally I sit 38"/41" to 48" away most of the time depending on what I'm doing, but I'm using monitors on the sides so a little extra viewing distance helps with the longer array. When gaming I sit at the nearer distance depending the game.. At those distances I'm able to keep the 48 cx at 100% scaling 1:1. I keep each side 43 inch portrait mode monitor at 125% scaling.

Actually, THX recommended viewing angle is 40 degree, not 45-50. For 48", that means a viewing distance of ~4.8'.
https://www.inchcalculator.com/tv-size-viewing-distance-calculator/

Note that THX based their recommendation on the field of view of the human eye, for which the resolution decreases significantly after ~45 degree.

Of course, high def FOV can vary a bit by individual and after testing I decided that 4' (47 degree) was the optimal distance for my 48". I think it is fair to say that 3' (60 degree) is on the extreme end and I wound never recommend this to someone else (of course, I am not arguing with taste and good for you if you like such setup!).
The recommendations from THX are for viewing movies, not playing video games.

Updated with a 30" distance comparison since that seems like a fairly popular setup, though that might be more popular due layout limitations (space, desk dimensions, etc) overall. You can see the PPD (pixels per degree ~ effective PPI to your eyes at distance) drops considerably the closer you sit. The screen extents spread from the mid-line a lot more too obviously and that's not even measuring the heights.

According to the site calculator, the 20/20 vision threshold is 60 PPD which starts at 33.3" viewing distance for a 48" 16:9 4k screen (and starts at ~1.5' on a 27" 4k) so any higher PPD will look tighter than the pixels and any lower PPD will look worse than the pixels .

Example reference points I made using a nvidia viewing angle calculator
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

50 deg, the nearest angle in the "sweet spot" convergence of THX, SMPTE, 20thCenturyFox standards (for movie viewing)
76.1 PPD
3zA4OTM.png
76.1 ppd is above the 20/20 vision threshold of 60 ppd, but below the average vision of ~20/15. You will likely need moderate anti-aliasing.
48" 16:9 display = 44.4" view distance ( ~ 3' 8" )
42" 16:9 display = 39.6" view distance ( ~ 3.25' )
31.5" 16:9 display = 29.7" view distance ( ~ 2.5')
27" 16:9 display = 25.5" view distance ( ~ 2' 2")

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

54 degree 71 to 72 PPD
nReuIvj.png
71 ppd is above the 20/20 vision threshold of 60 ppd, but below the average vision of ~20/15. You will likely need moderate anti-aliasing.

A 54 degree viewing angle (closer than the THX standard's movie viewing sweet spot of 45 - 50 deg)
..resulting in the same ~71 to 72 PPD at 4k on all of these screen sizes at their respective distances :

48" 16:9 display = 41" view distance ( ~ 3.5 ' )
42" 16:9 display = 35.9" view distance ( ~ 3' )
31.5" 16:9 display = 27" view distance ( ~ 2.4')
27" 16:9 display = 23" view distance ( ~ 2')

----------------------------------------

58 degree 66.6 PPD
NgeuhzE.png
66.6 ppd is above the 20/20 vision threshold of 60 ppd, but below the average vision of ~20/15. You will likely need moderate anti-aliasing.

A 58 degree viewing angle resulting in the same 66.6 PPD at 4k on all of these screen sizes at their respective distances:

48" 16:9 display = 38" view distance ( ~ 3 ' + 2")
42" 16:9 display = 33.3" view distance ( ~ 2' + 9")
31.5" 16:9 display = 25" view distance ( ~ 2' + 1")
27" 16:9 display = 21.4" view distance ( ~ 1' + 9")

------------------------------------------

70 degree 55 PPD
Nby0Mcm.png
55 ppd is below 20/20 vision. You will likely need strong anti-aliasing to hide artifacts.

A ~70 degree viewing angle resulting in the same 55 PPD at 4k on all of these monitor sizes at their respective distances:

48" 16:9 display = 30" view distance (2.5')
42" 16:9 display = 26.3" view distance (~ 2' 2")
31.5" 16:9 display = 19.7" view distance (~ 1' 8")
27" 16:9 display = 16.75" view distance (just under ~ 1' 5")

----------------------------------------------

82 degree 46.7 PPD
vJ8EPRR.png
46.7 ppd is below 20/20 vision. You will likely need strong anti-aliasing to hide artifacts.

A 82 degree viewing angle resulting in the same 46.7 PPD at 4k on all of these monitor sizes at their respective distances:

48" 16:9 display = 24" view distance (2')
42" 16:9 display = 21" view distance (~ 1' 9")
31.5" 16:9 display = 15.7" view distance (~ 1' 4")
27" 16:9 display = 13.5" view distance (~ 1' 2")

Last edited:
I use the CX 48" at a desk and ~4 feet is the minimum distance where it's not uncomfortable to my eyes & neck. It's equivalent to my 27" 4K Predator X27 at arm's length.

So just playing around with BetterClearTypeTuner and someone else mentioned they used Greyscale, but on mine this looks downright awful. What actually looks the best is unchecking the enable font anti aliasing box, which I'm assuming is just turning clear type completely off? In any regard none of the settings, including turning off clear type, reduce the ghosting with text. I read in another thread that this was expected behavior somewhat with OLED's, but I can't find that thread anymore. It's really distracting and between this and the horrendous ASBL I'm really close to just returning this, BUT... it just looks so damn good in games.
Do you leave HDR on all the time? ASBL is significantly more aggressive with HDR on.

My results are:

PC Gigabit Ethernet

My wireless off of the LG's 5Ghz is more like your far away one but up close on mine (almost on top of the router).. 42.5mb/s (5.3MB/sec) down for you, 48 for me (6MB/sec).
The usb3 ethernet adapter I used also got 47 down though were yours got 136 down.
I didn't test my CX's own ethernet adapter before I started but I'll try it out eventually. If it's 100mb/s (12.5MB/sec) on the TV's port vs 136mb/s (17MB/sec) on the usb 3 ethernet adapter I don't think it would make that much difference so I'd remove the adapter.

I might run the tests again at some point but there could be some other bottleneck in the browser or the tv OS like someone said. And yes not only did they not put a gigabit ethernet port on the TV but apparently the USB port is only usb 2.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/20...posts-1-6-no-price-talk.3119288/post-60012784

mrtickleuk

Bill Sanders said:
Well if ur getting 239 using a gig WiFi and I’m reaching around 103 on 350mbps then we’re pretty much even.
Cool. The important thing is that we have established that your TV is not faulty.
Bill Sanders said:
The TVs just a joke for connection. I reach 75 wired and 103 WiFi. Disappointment.
75Mb/s from an Ethernet port which is max 100Mb/s anyway (and that max is difficult to hit) isn't bad. Replacing cables should get you closer to 85Mb/s. But the important thing is that we have established that your TV is not faulty.

Since Netflix's max streams are 15Mb/s, you already have a full 60Mb/s of "overhead" there. What other service are you streaming from that you think you need faster speeds into the TV?
True. But the built in ethernet port on the CX is only a 10/100 port. Using a USB Ethernet adapter that can handle 10/100/1000 will get you better speeds even though USB 2.0 maxes out 480Mbps.
That guy ended up getting unreliable speeds on his TV's wifi and went back to using his playstation for streaming instead

-----------------------------------------------------------

Regarding DTS - apparently you can go into your plex client settings and disable DTS. Then plex will transcode DTS-MA 7.1/5.1 to multichannel AAC. The problem I've read is that it also transcodes the video when that happens which drops HDR. So if you have any DTS-master 7.1/5.1 HDR titles this could be a problem for those. Otherwise at least you'd get your sound.

Edit: I disabled DTS in the plex webOS app on the LG CX and it will play titles with HDR. There is probably a slight loss of audio quality when transcoding but you get multichannel AAC. Hopefully only thing you would lose is whatever audio quality is diminished due to transcoding (rather than remuxing completely which would preserve full fidelity). That is assuming that the metadata is passing hdr1000 and the HDR isn't just flagged with no metadata defaulting to hdr4000, and assuming the video isn't being transcoded to a loss in fidelity. Since only DTS is lost and transcoded sound-wise, ATMOS data and dolby TrueHD titles will be untouched. Unfortunately as far as I can tell Emby has no option to disable DTS like plex does. (I just like the emby library interface a little better but plex is good).

I haven't messed with it enough to see if the quality is worsened noticeably. The titles I was using were old film transfers with a lot of film grain even though they were HDR.

To get full gigabit LAN speeds and get full DTS-MA sound fidelity without transcoding (and maybe less compressed HDR tonemapping and less transcoded video depending on how it works with Plex) I might still get a shield pro eventually and connect it the old way to the receiver and then to the tv rather than using earc on that signal chain. That or use my ps4 in the meantime. However outside of dts not being supported and that the few rare largest file sizes choke and stall (90 - 100gb mkv) ,the PLEX app in the LG webOS seems to work fine so far - at least using optical audio out currently.

Last edited:
yeah from MrTX's link (thanks)

[461.40] LG CX OLED TVs (2020) are not recognized as G-SYNC Compatible displays [3244055]
GeForce Hotfix display driver version 461.51 is based on our latest Game Ready Driver 461.40.

The hotfix addresses the following issues:

• [Ampere] Chrome/Edge may experience random TDR while browsing [3195894]
  • [G-SYNC][Edge of Eternity/Hitman 2]: The games experience stutter and low FPS when Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in windowed mode [200685971]
  • Wallpaper Engine app may crash on startup or upon resume from sleep. [3208963]
  • [461.40] LG CX OLED TVs (2020) are not recognized as G-SYNC Compatible displays [3244055]
  • [Surround][RTX 30 series] PC may display no signal message when enabling NVIDIA Surround [3230565]
  • On some Notebooks ‘Maximum Graphics Power’ information missing in NV Control Panel - System Information [200697069]

Click the appropriate link to download:

Windows 10 64-bit Standard Driver - Click Here
Windows 10 64-bit DCH Driver - Click Here

It always amazes me that we always see the flaws or should I say look for them rather than just enjoying this monitor for what it is, an absolute beast of a display. For anyone on the fence just buy it you will not be disappointed. If this monitor does not work for you or you are not completely blown away then maybe your negativety is something you should look at. Enjoy it for what it is, not for what it is not. You can always return it. 🙂
Now that the HDMI 2.1 gremlins have been worked out and the color-spacing issues are gone, the LG CX is a game-changing display. There is not another display on the market that offers 4K120, 10-bit, RGB, VRR/GSYNC/Freesync, ALLM, HDR, and Dolby Vision all in a single display... nevermind the fact that this thing is FRICKIN OLED!!!!!!

At this point, all gripes about this display are minor and personal preference. There are no longer any game-breaking bugs; LG has fixed 99% of the issues we complained about. That level of post-purchase support has earned them a very happy customer that has no problem recommending their product to anyone that wants a no-compromises display.

This is the best all-around PC display on the market. Period. Full stop. Crazy stuff considering that this thing is a Smart TV.

My wireless off of the LG's 5Ghz is more like your far away one but up close on mine (almost on top of the router).. 42.5mb/s (5.3MB/sec) down for you, 48 for me (6MB/sec).
The usb3 ethernet adapter I used also got 47 down though were yours got 136 down.
I didn't test my CX's own ethernet adapter before I started but I'll try it out eventually. If it's 100mb/s (12.5MB/sec) on the TV's port vs 136mb/s (17MB/sec) on the usb 3 ethernet adapter I don't think it would make that much difference so I'd remove the adapter.

I might run the tests again at some point but there could be some other bottleneck in the browser or the tv OS like someone said. And yes not only did they not put a gigabit ethernet port on the TV but apparently the USB port is only usb 2.

I am in the process of getting a used cheap ac1200 ap with gigabit ports and put that up directly behind the TV as dedicated AC AP. Let's check speeds then :)

Now that the HDMI 2.1 gremlins have been worked out and the color-spacing issues are gone, the LG CX is a game-changing display. There is not another display on the market that offers 4K120, 10-bit, RGB, VRR/GSYNC/Freesync, ALLM, HDR, and Dolby Vision all in a single display... nevermind the fact that this thing is FRICKIN OLED!!!!!!

At this point, all gripes about this display are minor and personal preference. There are no longer any game-breaking bugs; LG has fixed 99% of the issues we complained about. That level of post-purchase support has earned them a very happy customer that has no problem recommending their product to anyone that wants a no-compromises display.

This is the best all-around PC display on the market. Period. Full stop. Crazy stuff considering that this thing is a Smart TV.

To be fair, LG has simply fixed the things that should not have been broken in the first place. It took for HDMI 2.1 GPUs to come to market for them to fix a lot of this stuff and the next gen consoles probably helped push them to do it as well. I still don't expect to see for example the pixel shift toggle to ever be fixed or LG to add a user control for automatic static brightness limiter. With the C1 series launching soon I would expect any further development on the CX series to grind to a halt.

The support provided by monitor manufacturers in general is awful. They make a model, fix at best its most glaring issues, make a new model that solves any real problems and the cycle repeats. For high priced products they are very poorly supported. For example Samsung could easily bring some of the improvements they made on their G9 superultrawides to its predecessor the CRG9 but just doesn't because they want to sell the new model. It's like the old Android phones where you get at best one generation of Android OS updates and needed to buy the new phone or install a custom ROM to get the latest and greatest.

I do agree that the LG CX works very well now. Even with the Club3D adapter I use I haven't seen any issues for a long time now. The problem at the moment is with Nvidia driver quality being shit for several months now so I really hope they can get their ducks in a row.

I'm glad the gremlins are pretty much gone, and I'd like the ducks.. but overall features-wise I'm still getting screwed by the 3000 series stock pipeline feeding the scalper leeches.

I don't regret buying the CX since experiencing OLED and HDR is amazing on it, but by the time I get a 3000 series gpu the 2021 model could be out and maybe even 3080tis being fed to scalpers at this rate so I can't help but be a little salty about it. It's not LG's fault though.

I'm glad the gremlins are pretty much gone, and I'd like the ducks.. but overall features-wise I'm still getting screwed by the 3000 series stock pipeline feeding the scalper leeches.

I don't regret buying the CX since experiencing OLED and HDR is amazing on it, but by the time I get a 3000 series gpu the 2021 model could be out and maybe even 3080tis being fed to scalpers at this rate so I can't help but be a little salty about it. It's not LG's fault though.
I know how you feel man. I struggled to get my 3080 for weeks before being successful, and that was before the launch of the RX 6000 GPUs. We all assumed that with AMD's amazing supply of GPUs that the RTX 3000 cards were going to be much easier to get after that.

Well.... we all know how that one went.

I had a 3090 order fully completed on newegg with a "congratulations!" .. and "there may be a 2 - 3 day delay due to" (covid) etc.. Then later that night I got an email saying the order was canceled due to lack of stock. So even completing an order isn't enough to get one. I don't know exactly how their ordering system works internally (virtual items instead of actual stock items) but I can't help feeling like I got robbed for someone to pick it for scalping.

I had a 3090 order fully completed on newegg with a "congratulations!" .. and "there may be a 2 - 3 day delay due to" (covid) etc.. Then later that night I got an email saying the order was canceled due to lack of stock. So even completing an order isn't enough to get one. I don't know exactly how their ordering system works internally (virtual items instead of actual stock items) but I can't help feeling like I got robbed for someone to pick it for scalping.

Lucky to snatch a 3060TI Aorus Master for 587 Euro. Things seem to get even worse:

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2021/0...-virtually-non-existent-warns-dutch-retailer/

You guys can join one of the tracking Discord channels (if you haven't), like ATR or StockDrops. Once the GPU goes in stock, you get a ping, then you can try to check out ASAP. I got my 5900X from Amazon and 3080 FE from Best Buy thanks to these channels. (Originally wanted the Asus 3080 TUF but with tariff price, no thanks.)

Back on topic,
I recently started playing Horizon Zero Dawn in HDR. Wow, it's beautiful on the CX! But at ingame night, it's so dark I can barely see lol.

You guys can join one of the tracking Discord channels (if you haven't), like ATR or StockDrops. Once the GPU goes in stock, you get a ping, then you can try to check out ASAP. I got my 5900X from Amazon and 3080 FE from Best Buy thanks to these channels. (Originally wanted the Asus 3080 TUF but with tariff price, no thanks.)

Back on topic,
I recently started playing Horizon Zero Dawn in HDR. Wow, it's beautiful on the CX! But at ingame night, it's so dark I can barely see lol.

You probably need to adjust the brightness slider in game until you get good results.

To be fair, LG has simply fixed the things that should not have been broken in the first place.
In principle I agree but as far as high-end TV's go (and electronics in general) - issues like these are par for the course. Sometimes they don't even get fixed. With new technology like HDMI 2.1 - it's really a gamble. It's definitely worth being happy about.

Let's point to the A/V receivers released this year. They advertise 4k/120Hz. Do they actually work? Nope. Will it be fixed or otherwise acknowledged? Nope. Is there anyone here out with their pitch forks, protesting this issue? Nope. Welcome to the world of high end A/V.

In principle I agree but as far as high-end TV's go (and electronics in general) - issues like these are par for the course. Sometimes they don't even get fixed. With new technology like HDMI 2.1 - it's really a gamble. It's definitely worth being happy about.

Let's point to the A/V receivers released this year. They advertise 4k/120Hz. Do they actually work? Nope. Will it be fixed or otherwise acknowledged? Nope. Is there anyone here out with their pitch forks, protesting this issue? Nope. Welcome to the world of high end A/V.

That's what I'm saying; all of these devices are basically computers with displays. They are incredibly complex pieces of tech, so when you start pushing what is actually possible, you run into issues. The C9/CX are still very much state-of-the-art as far as technology goes. The fact that we now have 4K/120hz + GSYNC + 10-bit + RGB + HDR + OLED is astounding; no other display currently on the market does this. LG pulled it off, even though they did not have a GPU with HDMI 2.1 when they originally designed the chipset. It was a shot in the dark, and they pulled it off.

That's what I'm saying; all of these devices are basically computers with displays. They are incredibly complex pieces of tech, so when you start pushing what is actually possible, you run into issues. The C9/CX are still very much state-of-the-art as far as technology goes. The fact that we now have 4K/120hz + GSYNC + 10-bit + RGB + HDR + OLED is astounding; no other display currently on the market does this. LG pulled it off, even though they did not have a GPU with HDMI 2.1 when they originally designed the chipset. It was a shot in the dark, and they pulled it off.
Yet they worked with Nvidia on these things for G-Sync support so I am sure procuring a pre-production 3080 would not have been much of a problem. They must have had some way to test HDMI 2.1 anyway even if it is backwards compatible. Remember that the 2019 C9 series was already fully HDMI 2.1 but suffered from some of the same issues the CX had so it took them quite a long time to fix them. Glad they did, but they do deserve some flack for not testing well enough in the first place as many of the issues are easy to replicate and were discovered early after release by end users.

I blamed some of the issues on my Club3D adapter but turns out things like wrong color spaces for HDR and some of the handshake issues were totally problems with the TV.

Back