LG 43UD79 Information?

A word of advice for the firmware update - use older version of Onscreen display and you will succeed (if there is new update). Latest 2.86 is messed up, use the one on the CD that came with the monitor.

To the folks that noticed a low contrst - you have not set gamma properly. Play with the gamma presets, calibrate the display with hardware and create ICC profile. If using HDMI input, turn on Deep Black.

A word of advice for the firmware update - use older version of Onscreen display and you will succeed (if there is new update). Latest 2.86 is messed up, use the one on the CD that came with the monitor..

I wish you replied with this advice before, then I wouldn't have gone through haven't to wait for another 43ud79 monitor. but thanks anyway;)

A word of advice for the firmware update - use older version of Onscreen display and you will succeed (if there is new update). Latest 2.86 is messed up, use the one on the CD that came with the monitor.

To the folks that noticed a low contrst - you have not set gamma properly. Play with the gamma presets, calibrate the display with hardware and create ICC profile. If using HDMI input, turn on Deep Black.

What version number would that be? I have long ago threw away that CD.

I used 2.43 with no problems, the tool checked the firmware and said that is the latest version.

P.S. If someone needs the 2.43 version and cannot find it, send me a message and I will share the link.

Last edited:
Shout out to christal. who would have thought it was the software version that is the cause of the inability to update firmware. I installed 2.43 version of onscreen control and was able to sucessfully update firmware. Thanks man.

I'm curious about the KVM-like feature the Philips has... I've read you can share one keyboard and mouse with multiple systems. This could be cool, as I currently have 2 sets on my desk. But I'm curious how this works IRL since it only has 2 USB ports and then a USB C port.... how do I hook up 2 USB devices (wired keyboard plus a wireless mouse) and have it function across other machines? This isn't a deal breaker but I am curious about it.

From what I saw, this feature in the LG is only available for two systems through the Dual Controller software setting. Unfortunately, that is not applicable my use case as I have three systems I'd like to control with a single kb/trackball, which will still require a KVM. It will be nice to be able to see all the screens simultaneously, though (new e-mail, etc).

Hello. I'm new here and I have a question since after weeks of researching I also bought this screen for my pc and connected it today.
First of all, my graphics card doesn't support 4k so for the time being I'm in 1920x1080p resolution. :shy:

Secondly, I adjusted the settings to these here that someone has posted earlier in this thread:
https://www.prad.de/testberichte/test-monitor-lg-43ud79-b/4/
(the table with RGB=50/34/9 etc.)

I have a question though about the "black level" setting.
By default it's set to high but this setting makes the blacks a bit grey.
By setting it to low the issue is fixed (but maybe it crushes them a bit as others say).
Shouldn't it be the other way around with the "high" setting giving deeper blacks?
I'm confused.
the manual says the "low" setting lowers the black levels.

Anyone have any issues getting the USB hub to work? I have the USB-C to C cable hooked up to the PC, but its not detecting the hub.

Edit:
N/M, it was the cable.

Last edited:
So, anybody else getting super fuzzy text when splitting the screen with 2 inputs? I thought the issue was my 2 previous cards (770 and 970) but I just got a 1080Ti and I'm still getting super fuzzy text when I do a horizontal split with two 3840x1080 screens on top of each other. Individually, each input, gets me clear text when full sized (3840x2160).

I bought this darn thing for this exact purpose and it's failing at it... :(

EDIT: any horizontal screen split causes fuzzy text... Vertical split seems fine, but 2 inputs (3840x1080 x2) or 4 inputs (1920x1080 x4) causes fuzzy text. :(

I bought this for the same reason as you (want to show two inputs with horizontal split 3840x1080 each OR 4 1080p inputs) and when I do either the text is all fuzzy. Running latest firmware and have tried intel and nvidia video cards on different Windows 10 computers. I believe it to be a problem with the monitor. I have no issues with 2-split vertical setup (1920x2160) the text shows nice and crisp in that mode just like it does when in single 4k mode. This is VERY annoying and I am pretty sure our users of these monitors will notice this in due time :(

I bought this for the same reason as you (want to show two inputs with horizontal split 3840x1080 each OR 4 1080p inputs) and when I do either the text is all fuzzy. Running latest firmware and have tried intel and nvidia video cards on different Windows 10 computers. I believe it to be a problem with the monitor. I have no issues with 2-split vertical setup (1920x2160) the text shows nice and crisp in that mode just like it does when in single 4k mode. This is VERY annoying and I am pretty sure our users of these monitors will notice this in due time :(

That is a bummer, that is the only reason I was looking at this one vs Acer etc.

It's crazy frustrating and the single reason I'm thinking of getting rid of this monitor as soon as my budget allows an upgrade to a better setup… For single screen use, it's fine, if a bit too big (4K @ 36~38-ish inches would be ideal IMO), but for a multi-screen setup (aka replacing multiple smaller monitors) it's proving way less than ideal... :(

It's crazy frustrating and the single reason I'm thinking of getting rid of this monitor as soon as my budget allows an upgrade to a better setup… For single screen use, it's fine, if a bit too big (4K @ 36~38-ish inches would be ideal IMO), but for a multi-screen setup (aka replacing multiple smaller monitors) it's proving way less than ideal... :(
I totally agree. I've ordered one for our security staff to replace a 4 x 1080p 24" monitor setup that they currently have... installing it this weekend... time will tell if they notice the blurriness :(

I had hopes of using this monitor for a lot of staff that currently have 2+ screens. Doesn't seem feasible now. It was only $720 CSDN on Amazon Canada so the price was definitely amazing (way cheaper than buying 4 decent 23-24" screens). Oh well...

Philips has the SmartControl software that *I think* accomplishes the same thing regarding screen split, etc. I believe that I remember reading about it in the previous threads about the Philips 40" and 43" 4K monitors. Might be worth looking into (I am assuming that it won't work with the LG monitor, but could be an option if you decide to switch displays).

I picket this up this week for $609 CDN which is roughly $465 USD . At that price i could hardly say no! loving it so far.

Wow that's an amazing price! Nice score :)

It's now been a year since my purchase, and I am still loving this monitor.

Hi guys!

I would like to ask the following:

1. where can I download the latest firmware for this monitor, and where can I chek the current version?
  2. I have a Macbook pro 2015 without any USB type C. It's a fact... but how can I update the firmware without type C?
I checked the user manuall but I did not find any info or description about the firmware update :(

Thanks a lot!

Hello!

I have recently bought a 43UD79-B and this thread has helped me make that decision. I thank you all for this. Updating the firmware is an issue now however. I managed to connect a USB Type-C between the monitor and PC and now I can make full use of those two USB ports from the monitor. The LG manual is very ambiguous in this regard. Anyway, the initial OnScreen Control version that came in my LG driver CD told me that I had the latest firmware update. Since updating today to OnScreen Control version 3.29, I am being told that a new monitor firmware is ready to be installed but clicking on either "Run" or "File Open", only gets me to the error message posted in the attachement below. Also, I'd like to know if my current firmware for the monitor can be seen somewhere. I haven't had flicker issues in the past week since testing out the monitor and after I turned off "Smart Energy Saving" and "Automatic Standby", no more random screen dimming.
43UD79 firmware update issue pag.1.jpg
43UD79 firmware update issue pag.2.jpg
I'd appreciate some opinions and ideas in regards to the firmware update issues I'm encountering.

If it helps in any way, on its backside, the monitor states that it was made in April 2018.

Last edited:
Since updating today to OnScreen Control version 3.29, I am being told that a new monitor firmware is ready to be installed but clicking on either "Run" or "File Open", only gets me to the error message posted in the attachement below. Also, I'd like to know if my current firmware for the monitor can be seen somewhere. I

I just used the Onscreen v3.29 to update my firmware successfully. Using the usb3 port on my desktop was successful. Using the usb2 port on my desktop gets the 'interrupted' error message (need to power cycle the monitor to recover fully). My cable is usb2 - usb-c

The 'monitor settings' tab on the left-hand side shows the current firmware level (scaler and hub) in the monitor.

The USB hub firmware appears unchanged at 1.35
The scaler firmware has gone 3.20, 3.26 to 3.30 now

I appreciate your help, kawan! Finally managed to update to the latest firmware version, now that I plugged that pesky USB cable in a type 3 port from my PC case.

Cheers!

I'm dealing with a pretty strange issue, I hope someone can help.

You know how there are reports of this panel randomly shutting off and turning back on? It happened to me a couple of times when I initially got it, then it was completely fine for over a year, and recently it started happening again, but only when I try to play Netflix. It's pretty strange, I guess something about the Netflix decoder triggers a weird signal... It doesn't happen with any other video players. So it's happened a few times when playing Netflix over the last 2 months. And here's the weird part -- after the last time, ClearType and subpixel rendering in general got very messed up. I thought it was an unrelated issue, but after some research and thought, it just doesn't make sense why subpixel rendering would suddenly stop working right after the monitor did one of its random shutoffs.

To be more specific, basically there are colored subpixels showing on the sides of every letter and a lot of graphics (everything that uses subpixel rendering). When I try to retune it with ClearType, all of the examples look awful with colors visible everywhere. Again, it was perfectly finetuned and working properly before. It's just really messed up now and I do think the monitor shutoff triggered it somehow. I've since reset the monitor settings, unplugged and plugged the monitor back in, reset the computer, nothing is working. I think the monitor did something that then screwed things up on a software/graphics level. I'm hoping the next Nvidia update will fix it, but chances of that seem low.

If anyone has any idea as to what this is, how it can be fixed, or if it's happened to you, please comment.

EDIT: I fixed the issue. I had to go into Nvidia Control Panel -> Change resolution and change the output color format to RGB. It had changed for some reason. I thought I'd leave this post here for people who may experience the same issue, beware if the panel starts toggling on and off it might mess with those color settings.

Last edited:
Hi,

Has anyone succeeded in enabling Freesync on the monitor?
I'm trying now with the latest nvidia drivers, gtx 1080ti and the latest monitor firmware but the "monitor technology" option is not showing up at all...

I own my LG 43UD79-B since about a half year. Using it mainly as PC-Monitor in 4K-Resolution with SAT-Receiver-Picture shown in a PIP-Window:)

My problems with the 43UD79-B: From time to time one more of it´s HDMI-Inputs lost it´s ability to accept "4K-Signals" from my PC (Graphic Card HIS ATI RADEON HD 7750 Ultimate): or my Laptop via HDMI:
The only Picture I now get is from my SAT-Receivers (FullHD)-HDMI-Input-Signal.
All other stuff (Resolutions 4K, FullHD or lower) I Input into one of the HDMI-Ports is only shown as "Black Picture".
Windows 10 cannot detect the 43UD79-B as external monitor anymore.

Hardreset of Picture-Settings or Main-Settings didn´t cure anything.

I´m on the newest Firmwares 3.30, 1.35 acording to OnScreen Control program.

I´m using DisplayPort now as all my HDMIs have this Problem with 4K-input (and all lower Resolution Inputs from my PC) and I wonder what have done such a hardware-Damage to my HDMI-ports.

Last edited:
Anyone knows where I can find the plain Firmware-Files (even olders and not just he newest, which can be search for from the OnScreenControl-program)?

Hi,

Has anyone succeeded in enabling Freesync on the monitor?
I'm trying now with the latest nvidia drivers, gtx 1080ti and the latest monitor firmware but the "monitor technology" option is not showing up at all...

This monitor doesn't have Freesync (never has). Yes: a bunch of websites reviewed Freesync versions of this monitor, but those never got to mass production (nobody knows why, and LG never established the difference).

Hi,

I just get the long awaited LG-43UD79-B. But as reported in this thread too I also suffering from eyestrain – I have tried several settings on my own and with professional suggestions, e. g. from here: https://www.prad.de/testberichte/test-monitor-lg-43ud79-b/4/#Farbwiedergabe - using the original LG-provided HDMI and DisplayPort (certified for v1.4) cables but also high quality ‘gold’ ones with a proven ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (which works fine on other displays up to highest levels) - w10x64 1809; LG driver 21.08.2015 v1.0 – nvidia 418.91 @60Hz, LG Firmware 3.30, 1.35).

The hints and experiences given in this thread (thanks so a lot!), background information (e. g. https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/2475954/blog/40499741/) and pwn-tests (e. g. https://www.testufo.com/blurtrail or https://iristech.co/pwm-flicker-test/) have shown, applied to my monitor, that it is indeed not flickering free (as it has LG announced and insofar promised) and cause eyestrain-conditioned headaches (at least by the sensitive ones).

Than I have noticed the post #659 from kokkin9 in this thread, “that during that date (Nov. 2017) LG provided new LG43UD79 monitors with the new pwm frequency of 480 hz”.

Therefore my local dealer replaced the monitor, but the new one is as the one before - concerning the pwm flickering phenomenon – on the back label it reads also the manufacturing date 5/2017.

Can anyone also confirm the eyestrain too?

Or can anybody confirm that due the hardware change to the pwm frequency dated from 11/2017 as stated in this thread the eyestrain is less than before?

And one important last question - I suppose for all, they are come along here with the same questions with the pwm caused flickering phenomenon - : Is there any official validation or statement from LG that they have changed the monitor from 11/2017?

English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

I’m looking forward to all exchange of information, your report and hints.

Thanks a lot in advance

Nick

Last edited:
I dont have any tips for you unfortunately but I can confirm more eye fatigue I get from this monitor ( i got it in aug, 2018, been only using latest firmaware with 480hz refresh). I never experienced early version of firmware with 120hz refresh. Maybe the eye strain is linked to size, I'm not sure. In the Japanese article the author states that the actual hardware installed supports DC backlight so there is some minor hope that they can add flicker free via firmware.

On a different issue, I have a weird problem with usb hub on the monitor ( it is connected to my PC via usb 3.0 ) in order for hub to work I have to reincert the cable from my pc end every time I turn off the monitor. I have a keyboard and mouse hooked up to the monitor, so when I turn on my pc, it says no keyboard detected, but after I unplug the cable from my pc and plug it back in everything is fine, this is frustrating. Also if i unplug and plug the cable from the monitor end, there is no effect, the hub would not work. I'd appreciate any advice on this issue, cause its not very convenient to unplug and plug the cable every time i want to turn my monitor back on.

Hi,

I just get the long awaited LG-43UD79-B. But as reported in this thread too I also suffering from eyestrain – I have tried several settings on my own and with professional suggestions, e. g. from here: https://www.prad.de/testberichte/test-monitor-lg-43ud79-b/4/#Farbwiedergabe - using the original LG-provided HDMI and DisplayPort (certified for v1.4) cables but also high quality ‘gold’ ones with a proven ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (which works fine on other displays up to highest levels) - w10x64 1809; LG driver 21.08.2015 v1.0 – nvidia 418.91 @60Hz, LG Firmware 3.30, 1.35).

The hints and experiences given in this thread (thanks so a lot!), background information (e. g. https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/2475954/blog/40499741/) and pwn-tests (e. g. https://www.testufo.com/blurtrail or https://iristech.co/pwm-flicker-test/) have shown, applied to my monitor, that it is indeed not flickering free (as it has LG announced and insofar promised) and cause eyestrain-conditioned headaches (at least by the sensitive ones).

Than I have noticed the post #659 from kokkin9 in this thread, “that during that date (Nov. 2017) LG provided new LG43UD79 monitors with the new pwm frequency of 480 hz”.

Therefore my local dealer replaced the monitor, but the new one is as the one before - concerning the pwm flickering phenomenon – on the back label it reads also the manufacturing date 5/2017.

Can anyone also confirm the eyestrain too?

Or can anybody confirm that due the hardware change to the pwm frequency dated from 11/2017 as stated in this thread the eyestrain is less than before?

And one important last question - I suppose for all, they are come along here with the same questions with the pwm caused flickering phenomenon - : Is there any official validation or statement from LG that they have changed the monitor from 11/2017?

English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

I’m looking forward to all exchange of information, your report and hints.

Thanks a lot in advance

Nick

You need to install LG's OnScreen Control and update the firmware. The odds of you getting one, from a store, with an updated firmware are slim to none.

I cannot, for the life of me, connect 2 devices at 4K@60 to this monitor. When I connect just HDMI #4, I get the (expected) 4K60. As soon as I plug in the DP, the HDMI #4 instantly drops to 4K30. I've upgraded to the latest firmware and it made no difference... :(

Also, my HDMI #3 doesn't do 4K60, even with the same cable that is working perfectly fine on HDMI #4! WTF :X

I'm just now noticing a lot of this (never had the need before), and I'm past the 1-year warranty period. Hopefully, since I have the 42MU79-B, they'll honor the advertised 3-year warranty (main reason I got this vs the UD model). :X

Hi there, someone knows if this monitor is able to output a good image at 1080p resolution (full screen mode)? In some reviews people complain bad results with 1080p.

Last edited:
Hello. I'm new here and I have a question since after weeks of researching I also bought this screen for my pc and connected it today.
First of all, my graphics card doesn't support 4k so for the time being I'm in 1920x1080p resolution. :shy:

Hi, how is your experience in 1920x1080p, does the monitor looks really ugly? I'm Sound Designer and my old mac can't drive 4K in 60Hz. I'm forced to 1080p. I woulde use this monitor almost only for video playback.

New owner here. Look forward to reading the 18 pages to catch up. Is anyone using the Rtings color profile?

And its not completely clear to me, how do I perform a firmware update

Thank you

New owner here. Look forward to reading the 18 pages to catch up. Is anyone using the Rtings color profile?

And its not completely clear to me, how do I perform a firmware update

Thank you

Were you ever able to perform the firmware update and/or read through the thread? Pretty sure that was covered in here by a few people.

Also, the 43MU79-B is on sale today over at Newegg for $414 after 10% off using promo code EMCTATE34. Free shipping too. Lowest price I've seen yet.

LG 43UD79 Information?

I'm having the same issue! I get the "The monitor software update was interrupted" no matter what.
I bought my monitor a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately it started the blackout issue (turning off for a couple of seconds). I switched off the energy mode and updated the drivers on my computer, fixing it...
Too bad the problem came back while playing my Xbox One X connected via HDMI at 60hz (I use the DP cable on my PC).
I tried several cables and even installed OnScreen Control on three different computers, with no luck...
I even tried the USB stick trick... I even installed the OnScreen Control version from the CD that came with the box, which was the 3.29 (the most current one is the 3.34).
Anyone has an earlier version of OnScreen Control to share?
Also, just to be sure, the .zip files I need to upload when I click on File Open is the LG_ULTRA_HD.zip from this page?
My monitor was built in March 2019 if that helps.
Everything else works perfectly (including the USB hub), so I'm not really sure where the problem is...

Hi, how is your experience in 1920x1080p, does the monitor looks really ugly? I'm Sound Designer and my old mac can't drive 4K in 60Hz. I'm forced to 1080p. I woulde use this monitor almost only for video playback.

Hello. It's really good. I don't have any problem whatsoever.
Except I still don't understand the thing with the black levels.
I have it to low which is the best, but when I use WinDVD I have to switch to high because low crushes blacks.
I don't have this problem however with PowerDVD and other players.

Back