LG 43UD79 Information?

but you said "I'm trying to connect the monitor like this" so I replied, anyway

Normally you update a firmware on a TV with a Ethernet cable if it don't have one use the USB port. but now you are saying it wasn't possible because you read it online.

Ok

Try this way unzip the firmware to desktop and just use your "device manger" and update the driver from there. hope it help you or not

Unfortunately the only way to update the screen is by using the LG software, you can’t download the firmware separately. While connected to the screen with a HDMI or DisplayPort you need to connect an additional data cable, open the LG software, and start the update from there. But the LG software won’t recognise the data cable, no matter what I try.

Unfortunately the only way to update the screen is by using the LG software, you can’t download the firmware separately. While connected to the screen with a HDMI or DisplayPort you need to connect an additional data cable, open the LG software, and start the update from there. But the LG software won’t recognise the data cable, no matter what I try.

That is weird to me why on earth did LG go with this direction! idiots now I can understand your frustration, but instead of given you a Ethernet port they give you bloatware software to use.

There must be away to get around this problem have you made a thread on their forums?

That is weird to me why on earth did LG go with this direction! idiots now I can understand your frustration, but instead of given you a Ethernet port they give you bloatware software to use.

There must be away to get around this problem have you made a thread on their forums?

I don't think they've got any forums, but I'm gonna try sending them an e-mail.

I just got my monitor today. Loving it and the nice real estate is hugh.

How do I update the firmware?

Advice for those folks who try to update the firmware via USB-C.

Plug the cable in USB 2.0 port on the PC and the stupid software will detect the connection.

I get the following when trying to run "Monitor Software Update". I have only one pc conected to monitor via HDMI. Display port cable is plugged in but it's disconnected from laptop. Ideas?
Capture.JPG

Advice for those folks who try to update the firmware via USB-C.

Plug the cable in USB 2.0 port on the PC and the stupid software will detect the connection.

Will try this tonight, hope this works!

I get the following when trying to run "Monitor Software Update". I have only one pc conected to monitor via HDMI. Display port cable is plugged in but it's disconnected from laptop. Ideas?
View attachment 62795

Did you try it without the DisplayPort cable?

I love my big big monitor. it is only 1 week old.

But I having a hard time adjusting my brightness and contrast.

It looks so dark on my photo. Then I did the brightness and it becomes dark grey on the dark photo.

How do you adjust it?

I love my big big monitor. it is only 1 week old.

But I having a hard time adjusting my brightness and contrast.

It looks so dark on my photo. Then I did the brightness and it becomes dark grey on the dark photo.

How do you adjust it?

I used a X-Rite ColorMunki Display calibration tool + the DisplayCAL software to set up my screen. For a brightness of 120 cd/m2 I ended up with brightness at 28, for the colours I used contrast 70, red 46, green 31, blue 18, gamma mode 2. Together with the corrections of DisplayCAL this gave me good colour accuracy.

Last edited:
I respect X-rite but for me I find a brightness of 28 to be very dim on this monitor, I had mine on 50 for awhile but find it really pops at 60!

Just an fyi...

I just happened to open the LG software today and it indicated there was a firmware update. It upgraded my firmware from 3.20 (what my monitor came with) to 3.26. I didn't notice any obvious differences but I didn't look really hard. If I had to say anything I would say it's a little easier on the eyes but that might be a placebo effect.

Just an fyi...

I just happened to open the LG software today and it indicated there was a firmware update. It upgraded my firmware from 3.20 (what my monitor came with) to 3.26. I didn't notice any obvious differences but I didn't look really hard. If I had to say anything I would say it's a little easier on the eyes but that might be a placebo effect.

Where is the LG software? I cant find on LG website. I want so see if I can update the firmware. Thanks.

I contact with LG support but they seemed uninformed about the latest firmware update. My impression -without making any test- is that now, after updating, the monitor is less bothersome/annoying to the eyes. The firmware is detected automatically by onscreen control software. This is the answer of LG:

"Thank you for contacting LG Email Services. It is my pleasure to assist you with your inquiries about your LG devices.
We will escalate the concern in regards with this matter, as the information you are looking for is not available in our support system..."

It turns out OS X doesn't support 4k @ 60 hertz through HDMI.

I tried using USB-C to hook up the monitor, but that didn't seem to work for A/V signal. It only worked for firmware updates.

Should I use a display port cable (and USB-C adapter) to my Macbook Pro? Would that resolve the 60 hertz issue?

Ideally USB-C would work but I'm not having any success with A/V.

Last edited:
Is the LG 43UD79 HDMI update version 2.0a on this monitor! or just a update just instead that's all.

Hello there,

a few days ago I received the monitor. It's big and you know it. Friends told me that watching a movie we've seen yesterday with low brightness is straining the eyes as others here have had reported. I've read the full thread. Now with full brightness, no problemo, they say.

At the back it says produced "November 17". I also updated the monitor to the latest firmware and did the PWM test at
https://www.testufo.com/blurtrail#f...thickness=2&height=480&ppf=16&separation=1000

I recorded a video but atm YouTube does not process my upload (I'll post it later). I don't see a whole line but two, connected by artifacts. My camera records the same "flickering" my eyes see in this test. Is the monitor faulty? Shouldn't I now see a full line after the firmware update? I thought that the update improved the frequency. If this is by design, I'm not sure I'll keep the monitor. I have bad eye sight (-6) and my seeing is deteriorating as I get older a little too fast. Would this be a reason to use a monitor without PWM? Could you suggest another monitor without PWM/flickering in 40"-Range (+-4)? I like the 43" size though. Here in Germany I payed about 860$ for the product, it's always more expensive here, I wasn't fooled.

I think I can see the effects of PWM in action by watching a high resolution video. The upper half of the monitor does not stay in sync with the rest of the video. It comes late and produces a rigged border between old and new. Only noticeable with some videos where the camera is panning fast. Maybe it's another effect. I hope you can imagine what I mean. I'd upload a video of the effect too, maybe later if YouTube is willing again.

Here's the video showing the PWM test in action:

And the lag described in the upper region (clouds), best seen at about 0:21-0:28
Could my graphics card be the reason for the lag?

Is this expected?

Last edited:
PWM in this monitor do not create the short of artifacts that appears in the PWM test of these You Tube video. I made the same pwm test to this monitor, to a Viewsonic vp2770 led (PLS –that is IPS Samsung panel) and to a Benq BL3200Pt (AMVA), and I cannot tell any difference between the three despite the fact that Viewsonic and Benq do not use pwm. I am not saying that this monitor is flicker free. But now, after 3 months of use this monitor do not cause me headaches, especially after the last firmware update, and after I put it a little longer from my eyeview. For me the real downside of this excellent monitor, apart from using pwm with mild consequences, is the low contrast and the fact that blacks are not really black.

thanks for the reply. To cut to the chase: the artifacts in both videos I provided, are they expected to happen with this model? Or is my monitor faulty? I can't even describe how fast I got used to the size. If there is no alternative right now, I'll keep it. Of course, only if my exemplar isn't faulty.

I haven't had anything remotely like this with my monitor, this could be GPU issue as well as the CODEC that the cloud video is transcoded too, play these on another monitor and compare and contrast to isolate the issue....

Loving this monitor so far. I noticed what people say about the edges,some of the icons look warped/faded/dissapear when you get up close, but having the screen further away becomes non issue. Only negative I can think of Is the stand it comes with. Anyone recommend a better desktop stand that they are using?

I bought this monitor in Canada. When I opened the box, two cables (USB C-C and RS-232) were missing. When I complained to LG Canada, they said that this monitor sold in Canada does not come with these two cables. I asked them if I could buy from them or give me the product codes, they said that they don't provide such support. I complained to LG USA. They asked me to contact LG Canada as I don't live in the USA. As I recall, somebody mentioned that most 3rd party USB C-C cables do not work and to have firmware update, I need the cable from LG. Is that right?

When I turned it on for the first time, I saw a blue/purple block at the lower right corner. What is that? I have used many monitors. Never seen anything like that. I complained to LG. They asked me the serial number and the product code. They asked me if it was subject to physical or water abuse. I said no. Then, rather than sending me a brand new replacement, they asked me to send this monitor to a service center for inspection and repairing.

In this case, should I just return it for a refund and never order another one again? It seems that all 4K monitors between 40-43" inches have problems.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

I bought this monitor in Canada. When I opened the box, two cables (USB C-C and RS-232) were missing. When I complained to LG Canada, they said that this monitor sold in Canada does not come with these two cables. I asked them if I could buy from them or give me the product codes, they said that they don't provide such support. I complained to LG USA. They asked me to contact LG Canada as I don't live in the USA. As I recall, somebody mentioned that most 3rd party USB C-C cables do not work and to have firmware update, I need the cable from LG. Is that right?

When I turned it on for the first time, I saw a blue/purple block at the lower right corner. What is that? I have used many monitors. Never seen anything like that. I complained to LG. They asked me the serial number and the product code. They asked me if it was subject to physical or water abuse. I said no. Then, rather than sending me a brand new replacement, they asked me to send this monitor to a service center for inspection and repairing.

In this case, should I just return it for a refund and never order another one again? It seems that all 4K monitors between 40-43" inches have problems.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

It depends where the shop stored the displays maybe water got into the storeroom and moisture got into the unit IMHO, did you check inside and out of the box for water stains? If I was you just take it back to the shop and make a complaint ask them for a replacement/Full refund, As for the cables it do say on the manual 'Not included in all countries" I just bought My 43UD79-B on Wednesday this week and all the cables are there but I live in Britain.

:)

It depends where the shop stored the displays maybe water got into the storeroom and moisture got into the unit IMHO, did you check inside and out of the box for water stains? If I was you just take it back to the shop and make a complaint ask them for a replacement/Full refund, As for the cables it do say on the manual 'Not included in all countries" I just bought My 43UD79-B on Wednesday this week and all the cables are there but I live in Britain.

:)

Thanks. How do you like the monitor?

I heard that in the USA, some came with the cables but some without. One guy complained to LG and they sent them to him. In LG Canada, they don't want to do anything. They don't even want to find out the part number so that I could order elsewhere.

Thanks. How do you like the monitor? I heard that in the USA, some came with the cables but some without. One guy complained to LG and they sent them to him. In LG Canada, they don't want to do anything. They don't even want to find out the part number so that I could order elsewhere.

I have been looking around for 43/49 inch TV/Monitor without Gsync for a desktop I have a 50inch in home but the wife controls that:LOL:, I found this on YouTube review at first but you can't really tell how big it is until you see it in person, And yes it just a nice size to game on now I can understand why some gamers like the bigger screens then this also console users love big 55inch screens but this is only a 42inch but it big to me I came from a from a 32inch, you just see more and do more than a smaller screen can Ok it's not for everyone I know that,

What I like on the LG 43UD79-B it have many different ports, HDMI 1 & 2 is 1.4@24hz, HDMI 3 & 4 2.0a@60hz USB C, DP, Two USB one for charging your phone, headphones jack, RS-232C. 3840x2160 resolution@60hz, HDCP 2.2 for streaming 4k/watching Ultra HD movies, a remote control easy to set up the monitor, better than buttons, also that you can split the screens if you want better then having two monitors/four and having a custom settings for games/movies/text reading. also the colour is nice shame it didn't have HDR10, but I can live without it, the sound is nice and loud with bass but I use headphones on the computer, you can't adjusted the height of the monitor but for me it not important. now it's much better for me to sit from a distance and play games, suffer the web, watch YouTube, Amazon 4K TV shows, ok it not true 4k but near 4K better for the eyes now I am older IMO, better then sitting at a desktop with a small screen close up in your face, I am not into FPS/HZ/Gsync marketing crap, I just like this monitor very much I should have got one years ago, plus now it looks very nice size next to my TT900 super tower case, powered by a GTX1080 TI card I will never go back to a small screen again, :)

I had a Acer XB321HK Gsync crap got a full refund in the end, never trust Acer just 'BS' company IMO;)

You need to return it to the store or online, and get a replacement, has for the two missing cables in the box I wouldn't waste my time on that you can buy them online cheap if you need them!, I also read LG wants you to use their own cables and the DP cable that came in the box with this monitor but I use my own after market DP1.2, 3meter cable and it works also I see nothing wrong with it so it don't matter on the cables IMO!.

43UD79-B

_MG_63311.JPG

Last edited:
I haven't had anything remotely like this with my monitor, this could be GPU issue as well as the CODEC that the cloud video is transcoded too, play these on another monitor and compare and contrast to isolate the issue....

ah, I'm stupid. I checked the same videos (any) with my old LG. Same problem, but I never noticed? How can that be? Human psyche. Whatever, so since it's not an SSD/harddisc (same) or driver/OS issue (linux ubuntu 18.04, windows 7 same), it's my GPU, I'll bet on it. But I'm quite happy now I know it's not my brand new monitor, but my old gaming GPU. Which I'll replace not too soon since I'm not playing anymore. Now with that I can live fine. Thanks!

I've had this monitor for a month now and love it..except for the daily momentary "blackouts". But, I haven't had an issue in days and it may be due to a change in settings.

It's been a few days and it seems to have gone away, the only change I've made (and mind you, this is a long shot and not fully vetted) is:

General -> "SMART ENERGY SAVING"
and set it to OFF.

I hope to god this fixes the issue long-term, but only time will tell. Best of luck, folks.

Last edited:
I've had this monitor for a month now and love it..except for the daily momentary "blackouts". But, I haven't had an issue in days and it may be due to a change in settings.

It's been a few days and it seems to have gone away, the only change I've made (and mind you, this is a long shot and not fully vetted) is:

General -> "SMART ENERGY SAVING"
and set it to OFF.

I hope to god this fixes the issue long-term, but only time will tell. Best of luck, folks.

I haven't had it that long but what about the automatic standby what is that set to?

I turned mine off, don't need to give it another reason to go full blackout, damn drunk ass college kid monitor.

Thanks for the info, I want to change the brightness to 50 & Contrast to 60 and use the Set ID but every time I turn back on the monitor the it goes back to 80 & 70 how do the Set ID work I can find any info in the manual!.

I had the issue with the screen going black and audio stopping for a few seconds randomly every once in a while, on both of my monitors. Updating the firmware and disabling the smart energy saving resolved the problem.

You can update the firmware by downloading LGs OnScreen control from their website http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-43UD79-B
Then unplugging all other monitors (if any) from your PC and connecting it with USB to the monitors USB-C port. Tip: if you have a newer phone, the charger cable might be USB-C to "normal" USB to do this with.

You can also connect your monitor with HDMI, there it doesn't seem to have the going black problem. In order to get 60hz you have to turn on HDMI SuperResolution+ in the display settings after having connected it by HDMI, otherwise it's capped at 30hz. (And make sure you plug the HDMI cable into input 3 or 4 which are 60hz, 1 and 2 are just 30).

I am almost about to pull the trigger on this monitor now. I have read all on this forum and almost all available online.

What I noticed on all these 16 pages is the inconsistency of the replies over time, like most users have up to a few replies then completely disappear. It also looks like the longest threads of replies come about the monitor's PWM and mostly from users with reported bad eyesight. To be honest, PWM always concerned me, not because I am sensitive to it, but because I keep my brightness relatively low, like 30% or below. And if the 100% is at 480Hz with latest firmware, I will most probably be facing 120Hz or below in my use. Is anyone with normal eyesight using this scenario (30% brightness or below) and if so, how do you react to it. Like flickering, eye strain, quick tiredness? Especially if this is your normal usage mode.

Second, I will be replacing a NEC Multisync 2690Wuxi monitor, version one with A-TW polariser. This is an exceptionally rare professional IPS monitor with much reduced IPS glow compared to the rest without the polariser. It still works great but hums and has been doing so since bought. Something to do with the power supply and the CCFL backlight. The hum is not that bad and it is not the reason I am replacing it. I just like to have something newer and bigger.

Initially I wanted a 27-inch 1440p 165Hz monitor and almost settled for a ViewSonic, then decided that I would like something bigger as it will be used for a little bit of everything. Professional work, browsing, media production, streaming, gaming, movies. Also I didn't want scaling up on Windows at 27 inch and how small this display would be from distance, i.e. when watching movies.

What brought my thoughts on the LG monitor was also the reported relative backlight homogeneity and the homogenous IPS glow. Even on my 2790wuxi there is IPS glow, it just is less underlined and not whitish, more like dark pinkish and quickly disappearing with angle. Black is also not so "black" or colours so vivid. I was also considering 27+ Asus, Acer, Benq (not ultra wide) and others but got put off by the horrendous backlight bleed, glow and exceptionally low QC immediately. Enough to check a few reviews and photos on Amazon and you'd never go ahead. Ever. And all reviewers saying Asus and Acer monitors were the right choice for more Hz or wharever else were either blind or well paid by them. You can't game on them at all, especially on darker background, when your whole monitor glows! I'd rather go for the cheapest TN panel and will be having better blacks and less bleed!

Every single monitor has (big) issues, including Eizo and NEC which I consider the Mercedes of the colour-accurate industry. My 2690Wuxi was having backlight irregulararity (far right much brighter than the rest), luckily the monitor had integrated hardware backlight compensation feature which however decreased brightness, which I've been using from day one. For monitors in the 43 inch range, the tiny reported deviations with minimum backlight bleed on this LG are simply amazing! And 600-700 is a great price for an all-rounder while most professional monitors out there will be with more IPS glow and even backlight bleed at lower size and at times higher price simply for a little bit more extended gamut. Having looked at real photos and reviews on Prad.de and TFT Central for years to replace my current monitor I simply couldn't find a professional one, especially of the LG size, to work for all I want to use it for.

I live in the UK but am considering buying it from Amazon Germany as it is like £100 cheaper from Amazon directly. I am however unsure if I will be able to return it in case of problems in case it is in another country or how things with guarantee would be. Did anyone try something similar? Also this monitor is quite big and heavy so return/transport would be expensive.

For sure at this moment I think I am doing the right choice. 43 inch at "4K" native resolution and no issues with scaling, very low input lag and great response time, lots of I/Os, homogenous backlight for the size, remote, low IPS glow, no panel burn-in. I don't see a low input lag alternative in this size range currently, especially with the reported lack of backlight bleed and relative display homogeneity. I am only concerned about PWM at low brightness, display homogeneity upon receipt and guarantee if I buy it from Germany.

And to the guys who were recommending VAs, let me tell you my observations. I still have a Samsung made S-PVA panel on a 24 inch HP monitor on another computer. S-PVA is still treated the very top range VA panels ever made. What I sincerely hate about all VAs is what they call black crush. This is when you look at anything dark frontally and see just a spot of back/darkness. However if you only move your head an inch sideways and you see all details like nuances, boundaries, tiny details etc. Yes, blacks are great, contrast is amazing, no glow but black crush and colour shifting almost like on a TN panel kill all the pros.

I am almost about to pull the trigger on this monitor now. I have read all on this forum and almost all available online.

What I noticed on all these 16 pages is the inconsistency of the replies over time, like most users have up to a few replies then completely disappear.

Alongside my power settings, I upgraded firmware as well, it's been a week (going from several a day to none since settings change). It was the main reason I ended up on this forum, is due to it happening daily and sometimes hourly.

I had the issue with the screen going black and audio stopping for a few seconds randomly every once in a while, on both of my monitors. Updating the firmware and disabling the smart energy saving resolved the problem.

Heh, <-- wes from the LG community forum. Glad it's worked out for you!

Just to iterate for everyone hitting these pages:

Fix (thus far)

Onscreen Menu -> General -> "SMART ENERGY SAVING" and set it to OFF.

Update the Firmware ( http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-43UD79-B )

Download LG's OnScreen Control App and connect via USB-C Only (adapter provided).
Once installed, open the app navigate to the third menu item from the top left, you can run the software update.

Last edited:
Alongside my power settings, I upgraded firmware as well, it's been a week (going from several a day to none since settings change). It was the main reason I ended up on this forum, is due to it happening daily and sometimes hourly.

Heh, <-- wes from the LG community forum. Glad it's worked out for you!

Just to iterate for everyone hitting these pages:

Fix (thus far)

Onscreen Menu -> General -> "SMART ENERGY SAVING" and set it to OFF.

Update the Firmware ( http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-43UD79-B )

Download LG's OnScreen Control App and connect via USB-C Only (adapter provided).
Once installed, open the app navigate to the third menu item from the top left, you can run the software update.

I have connect USB type C to Monitor C to computer, and it don't work also tried USB-C with the adapter provided to type -C monitor still it says
new.jpg

My monitor was manufactured on February 2018 and I hoping this came with the latest firmware. Do anyone know what date was the new firmware?

On my MB Z270 gaming 7 it says to use a USB 3.1 Type -C gen 1/2 cable. I haven't tried this yet.

Last edited:
I have ordered mine today, hopefully I have done the right thing.

The only thing I am still exploring is the PWM. Anyone ever measured the PWM frequency at lower brightness with the new firmware? Or is it at least perceptible, especially in a few hours in front of the monitor, in Office applications, or when watching movies in relatively dark environment?

I have ordered mine today, hopefully I have done the right thing.

The only thing I am still exploring is the PWM. Anyone ever measured the PWM frequency at lower brightness with the new firmware? Or is it at least perceptible, especially in a few hours in front of the monitor, in Office applications, or when watching movies in relatively dark environment?

Member kokkin9 said that "The monitor was manufactured on November 2017 and I assume is equipped with the latest firmware and a pwm at 480hz." So if the new firmware was dated last year so mine was manufactured on February 2018 so the firmware on yours might be updated? I am still confused about it I don't get the Black outs or the flicker on my monitor and I haven't update it, I spend over 12 hours a day on it. so far I have only had it for two weeks, and watching movies in the dark at night.

The pwm was at 120hz before the update now it 480hz.

Last edited:
Thanks. I will be having mine delivered next week. The black-outs from what I read in the previous pages were a result of the monitor's energy saving function (it must be set to OFF) and due to input/cable connections so I believe they have nothing to do with the firmware. What brightness do you have the monitor set on normally?

On the German Amazon monitor's product page it is still listed as "Flicker Safe" as of today so I am not certain if it is for the 480Hz firmware update or they simply have not got enough complaints as in Canada/USA. I have read on the previous pages here that LG removed the "flicker safe" from the product specifications after users in Canada complained about that.

Either way, if the PWM doesn't bother me in my daily usage, I'd keep it. I do not want to use TVs as a monitor (last but not least for higher input lag) and I like everything else about this LG. Hopefully my unit will be with homogeneous backlight and no other problems.

Back