LG 43UD79 Information?

If you move your head around, do the bright spots follow your eyes? ie, is the area centered in front of your eyes always the brightest? Could it just be a viewing angle thing since the screen is so large and you're so close?

Yes there is some darkening at the sides due to viewing angles which makes shadows more pronounced. If you look at the photo shadows are uneven therefore they cannot be solely attributed to viewing angle. Shadow also varies with brightness (it's harder to notice at 100% brightness) therefore I hope with 480Hz PWM update I will find a setting that suites me.

EDIT: after upgrading, there's less flicker. I think I can use down to 50% of brightness now. However shadows and dirty screen effect is still there. Btw, Anker Poweline+ USB 3 cable worked for me just fine (I read there are issues).

Last edited:
Also, did you consider any of the Samsung or Sony 40"-43" TVs? There have been several of those since 2015 - they might have helped with your PPI preference and I know there were people who were very happy with them.

I'm very happy with my Samsung KS8500 49".

Anyone have any comments on this LG 43UD79 vs the Sony KD-43X720?

Based on ratings.com review Sony 720E has low black uniformity and 8bit panel- which pretty much removed it from my list.

Last edited:
Based on ratings.com review Sony 720E has low black uniformity - which pretty much removed it from my list.

Yet it's their #1 rated TV in the 40"-43" category to use as a PC monitor.

Gotta love the compromises that come with just about every display, lol (such as Samsung's use of PWM or the new LG UJ series TVs which have extremely low 12ms input lag but an RGBW pixel structure). :(

Please do weigh in.. I'm going back and forth between this LG, and two Samsungs (43" IPS and 49" VA curved). Strangely enough the Samsung 43" IPS (MU6300) is the only option of those three, including the LG monitor, that has an RBG sub-pixel layout, which I was hoping to have in a new 'monitor'. I wouldn't ever try a 49" flat, I know that would be too big, but am intrigued as to how the curved option changes that equation for monitor usage.

For my needs (mostly development work and (non-professional) photo editing), the LG monitor has some 'nice to haves but probably won't really use', like the split screen, etc.. They're all under $1k which was my target, so price difference isn't that big of a deal, just not sure what the experience of using a TV as a monitor is like, and if there are things that get annoying or become a PITA where I'd wish I just had a regular PC monitor instead of a TV.

I would be happy to, but I'll take it to PM so this thread can stay (mostly) about the LG monitor. I will be out of town tomorrow so it might be a couple of days before I get to this, but I would be happy to share my experiences with you.

Yet it's their #1 rated TV in the 40"-43" category to use as a PC monitor.

Gotta love the compromises that come with just about every display, lol (such as Samsung's use of PWM or the new LG UJ series TVs which have extremely low 12ms input lag but an RGBW pixel structure). :(

I would be happy to, but I'll take it to PM so this thread can stay (mostly) about the LG monitor. I will be out of town tomorrow so it might be a couple of days before I get to this, but I would be happy to share my experiences with you.

Thanks man! I'd appreciate it. Definitely trying to take advantage of the Black Friday sales, just don't want to hit one of those 'oh crap, didn't think about that when using a TV as a monitor' kind of scenarios if I can avoid it.

Does anyone have non-functioning USB ports?

My 43UD79-B's USB ports are not functioning, nor was the replacement unit, so i've tried TWO of these and neither one has functioning USB ports.

I've tried different cables, and tested the cables first, still can't get it to work.

Does anyone have non-functioning USB ports?

My 43UD79-B's USB ports are not functioning, nor was the replacement unit, so i've tried TWO of these and neither one has functioning USB ports.

I've tried different cables, and tested the cables first, still can't get it to work.

My USB cable definitely works I upgraded the firmware with it but indeed, the USB hub is not functional...

I'm probably going to get a 43UD79. Should I get an HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2 cable? My card will support either (actually the card supports DP 1.4 but the LG only 1.2) and it will be a 15 ft cable run.

I'm probably going to get a 43UD79. Should I get an HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2 cable? My card will support either (actually the card supports DP 1.4 but the LG only 1.2) and it will be a 15 ft cable run.

I got the MU one. It came with the cables. Even bugged me to use their cable. Until I turned that notification off. Check, the D79 might come with the cables too.

I apologize for repeating a question that's probably been addressed, but this isn't a true 10-bit panel, is it?

I got the MU one. It came with the cables. Even bugged me to use their cable. Until I turned that notification off. Check, the D79 might come with the cables too.

It may come with cables but I think they'll be too short for me so I want to buy a 15-ft cable and am wondering if HDMI 2.0 vs DP 1.2 would be preferred.

It may come with cables but I think they'll be too short for me so I want to buy a 15-ft cable and am wondering if HDMI 2.0 vs DP 1.2 would be preferred.
HDMI 2.0 for sure. Don't know about DP as I don't use it. Just make sure the cable is for 4k. The monitor will bug you but you can turn the notification off. It bugged me and I am using their cable. I got the cable for my 4k Samsung tv from monoprice.

43UD79 now on sale at Costco.com for $550, for members. Plus, you might have or be able to get from your local warehouse a flyer with a unique code good for $25 off $250+.

I ordered one, thought the reports of a non-functioningUSB hub bother me, and I'm not sure how the viewing angle will compare to a Sony 43x720e, given that my typical viewing distance is going to be 20".

I am really torn about this monitor. Side by side picture is great (and does not require any software). However small issues are adding up: unable to change picture settings in PBP mode (have to go back to single picture, make the change and go back to BPB), dirty screen effect, pinkish hue on the bottom (I'm guessing that both are related to backlight), IR sensor right where I keep my laptop...

Based on using it for a few days I would have probably preferred for the screen to be 40" rather than 43" for two reasons sides are not as sharp and darken a little and two, height of the screen makes you look up too much (my distance to monitor is 25"). Due to mentioned height issue I don't think curved monitor would help (can you even CAD/CAE on curved monitor?)

120Hz PWM backlight was giving me a headache at below 60% brightness. Thankfully 480Hz does not - I cannot believe someone thought 120Hz was enough!

Last edited:
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered this beast! Ordered from Overclockers UK, it's currently on "sale" there for £650. For anyone in the UK, that's about as cheap as you'll get this monitor for. I have a 24" 1080p monitor, I can't believe I'm going to quadruple my screen area and resolution... It'll be here in 2 days, I'll report back! First thing I'll do is firmware update.

Oi, everybody!

I have a question.

I've been able to get a Phillips bdm4350uc for about 500$. I received it, and it did some burn-in, but now it doesn't do it anymore. Unfortunately, I have 2 dead pixels that are kinda annoying, and even after careful calibration, it is waaay not enough bright for me and my usage.

This LG 43UD79 would cost me about 800$ in Romania, and I will lose some money over returning the phillips. Is it worth it? I really care if the LG has more vibrancy to its colors, and if it is brighter, since those two are my most massive issues with the Phillips, it is not bright enough, and the colors are a bit dull, especially compared to my Dell 2515H...

Especially curious if anybody has seen both, and how do you feel?

For reference, the phillips is at 100% brightness and contrast, my dell 2515H was at full brightness and contrast, and even my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 is at full contrast, which is about 500 nits, so I'm far more sensitive to not enough brightness than I am to h

How is the price between them? Is the LG too expensive relative to the Phillips and to the improvements it brings?

Also, personal opinion, but the stand on the Phillips is waaaay too low, while the screen size is juuuust right. Perfect.

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Oi, everybody!

I have a question.

I've been able to get a Phillips bdm4350uc for about 500$. I received it, and it did some burn-in, but now it doesn't do it anymore. Unfortunately, I have 2 dead pixels that are kinda annoying, and even after careful calibration, it is waaay not enough bright for me and my usage.

This LG 43UD79 would cost me about 800$ in Romania, and I will lose some money over returning the phillips. Is it worth it? I really care if the LG has more vibrancy to its colors, and if it is brighter, since those two are my most massive issues with the Phillips, it is not bright enough, and the colors are a bit dull, especially compared to my Dell 2515H...

Especially curious if anybody has seen both, and how do you feel?

For reference, the phillips is at 100% brightness and contrast, my dell 2515H was at full brightness and contrast, and even my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 is at full contrast, which is about 500 nits, so I'm far more sensitive to not enough brightness than I am to h

How is the price between them? Is the LG too expensive relative to the Phillips and to the improvements it brings?

Also, personal opinion, but the stand on the Phillips is waaaay too low, while the screen size is juuuust right. Perfect.

Thank you in advance for your answers!

I have not seen the Phillips but I can tell you that LG seems too bright for me. I'm using it at 30 (night) to 60% (day) brightness.

Got mine today from Costco. I don't have any sort of callibration device and would appreciate hearing from other owners...what settings have you found best in the picture menu?

Thanks in advance for any help.

So mi phillips BDM4350UC is going back today. Awful display with an awfully poor backlight strength and awful colors. Everything about it is awful. I'm researching a bit on what I can get next, this LG staying on my watch list.

///Rant

This thing should have never left the factory.

Over a few dead pixels from the factory. Brightness is horrible. Colors are washed, horribly unlively, the experience with it is total sht.

There is literally nothing to like about it besides the large screen estate, which in those conditions is horrible. Most content looks awful, there is absolutely no reason to ever order it over anything. I'd much rather buy 2 x Dell 2515H something something and heep them rotated to get a better experience.

Just for the record, it looks horrible compared to a simple mobile phone, everything is extremely washed away, skin tones look like corpses and cadavers, greens look more like swamp greens, blue skies look like there is a shadow over everything, the glossy screen is actually horrible in practice, and MAN the colors look ugly.

I am generally working in many other stuffs, and I generally don't smash a product, but this took me exactly 5 hours of usage to return.

Oh, and the calibration?

Everything is blue-tinted. A STRONG BLUE TINT ON EVER WHITE AND OTHER COLOR!!!! EVEN AFTER CALIBRATION

///end of Rant

I am having doubts about ordering another 43" Screen after my experience with this Phillips.

Anyone has any input on this?

Ok, I got the monitor. I am blown away. It is way bigger in person than in the reviews, you need to mentally prepare yourselves for the enormity of this thing, especially if you're coming from a 24" 1080p or a 27" 1440p. I'm still waiting for my adapter plate so I can mount it on my 100x100 VESA arm, so it's not positioned perfectly, but I am at 100% scaling and everything is tiny (relative to the size of the monitor). At this scaling, the monitor has to be at such a distance that you really can't fit it all in your field of vision, not even close. I swear as I'm typing this in Chrome at full screen, I am starting to approach the end of the first line and my neck is at this point at a 40 degree angle...... And we're on the next line, now it's at 40 degrees the other way.

So you have to move your head constantly, which isn't bad if you don't mind the neck workout, but not ideal. 125% scaling may be more appropriate, so you can move the monitor back a bit, but then you may as well get a smaller monitor and put it closer. For now I am going to live the 100% scaling @ 4K dream, which is what I got this monitor for.

The colors are beautiful, I went from 6-bit + FCR to this 8-bit + FCR panel and I can tell the difference. I'm not noticing any PWM/flickering issues out of the box, but I will update the firmware. The shadows in the edges don't bother me at all, my old Dell S2415H had them too, it's just how some IPS panels work. Backlighting is uniform, and there is minimal backlight bleed. So far my favorite use for the monitor is 4K YouTube, it's just stunning. I haven't yet figured out the best way to utilize the real estate at 100% scaling, but I think having Chrome (or almost any application) maximized is a bad idea, there is too much empty space and things are too far apart. Ideally, you want 2-3 things open at the same time, so your neck movement is like switching between apps on your phone :D

I haven't calibrated the colors yet, the default is pretty cold. Out of the box the screen is crazy bright. If you have it at a distance for 100% scaling, anything over 50% brightness is like a flashlight in your face. I have it at 50% brightness now and it's tolerable. Also, I am a fan of glossy screens and generally dislike antiglare coating, but what's used on this monitor works great - no glare, yet it is not overly matte and colors are as vibrant as with a glossy screen. You really need antiglare at this size.

Again, the size is insane. If you have a measuring tape, stretch it out to 43" and try to imagine how it'll fit on your desk. My desk is barely wider than this monitor, so I can't have speakers or anything else along the backside, luckily the built-in speakers are pretty good. A monitor arm will allow you to position the screen flush with the wall/back of your desk and move it down almost to the level of the desk surface. The latter is important because the extra vertical space is definitely more difficult to adjust to than the horizontal, especially at 100% scaling. I see now why all superlarge monitors are ultrawide, looking up and especially into the upper corners of the screen is hard and you end up ignoring that space somewhat if you don't position the monitor well. So if you don't have a monitor arm, I strongly recommend it for this screen with a smaller desk, and just in general they are amazing and not too expensive.

PS Honestly, just stepping back from my desk and looking at this thing is comical, I just burst into laughter. It is huge.... Especially in comparison to my NCase M1 (which had to be relegated to an IKEA stand next to my desk) and my old 24". But strangely, I think I can totally adjust to the size. It seemed way too big at first, after just 30 mins I already love it. Any other monitor size will seem like a joke now. I will post a picture of the setup when it's all mounted properly. ;)

Last edited:
I love this LG a few months in now even....the size seems REALLY big at first but you will get used to it and then wonder how you could have used tiny monitors before...I implored anyone on the fence to just jump on this awhile ago so happy to see a few have and they will be rewarded with a great monitor at a very fair price!

... I swear as I'm typing this in Chrome at full screen, I am starting to approach the end of the first line and my neck is at this point at a 40 degree angle...... And we're on the next line, now it's at 40 degrees the other way.

So you have to move your head constantly, which isn't bad if you don't mind the neck workout, but not ideal. 125% scaling may be more appropriate, so you can move the monitor back a bit, but then you may as well get a smaller monitor and put it closer. For now I am going to live the 100% scaling @ 4K dream, which is what I got this monitor for.

Thanks for the detailed impressions, but I have to comment on this part. Are you typing in a full screen browser window? I use the screen real estate to have multiple windows visible, not to have one giant browser window. I'm using a 32" 2K monitor and the browser window I am using right now is a bit over half the width of the monitor? I rarely make the browser window full screen, usually when I want to get a screen snapshot and I don't want other windows visible.

Thanks for the detailed impressions, but I have to comment on this part. Are you typing in a full screen browser window? I use the screen real estate to have multiple windows visible, not to have one giant browser window. I'm using a 32" 2K monitor and the browser window I am using right now is a bit over half the width of the monitor? I rarely make the browser window full screen, usually when I want to get a screen snapshot and I don't want other windows visible.

You can type just fine in one large browser and multiple ones. I used a single screen with a 43" display due to better control between them

Ok, I got the monitor. I am blown away. It is way bigger in person than in the reviews, you need to mentally prepare yourselves for the enormity of this thing, especially if you're coming from a 24" 1080p or a 27" 1440p. I'm still waiting for my adapter plate so I can mount it on my 100x100 VESA arm, so it's not positioned perfectly, but I am at 100% scaling and everything is tiny (relative to the size of the monitor). At this scaling, the monitor has to be at such a distance that you really can't fit it all in your field of vision, not even close. I swear as I'm typing this in Chrome at full screen, I am starting to approach the end of the first line and my neck is at this point at a 40 degree angle...... And we're on the next line, now it's at 40 degrees the other way.

The colors are beautiful, I went from 6-bit + FCR to this 8-bit + FCR panel and I can tell the difference. I'm not noticing any PWM/flickering issues out of the box, but I will update the firmware. The shadows in the edges don't bother me at all, my old Dell S2415H had them too, it's just how some IPS panels work. Backlighting is uniform, and there is minimal backlight bleed. So far my favorite use for the monitor is 4K YouTube, it's just stunning. I haven't yet figured out the best way to utilize the real estate at 100% scaling, but I think having Chrome (or almost any application) maximized is a bad idea, there is too much empty space and things are too far apart. Ideally, you want 2-3 things open at the same time, so your neck movement is like switching between apps on your phone :D

I haven't calibrated the colors yet, the default is pretty cold. Out of the box the screen is crazy bright. If you have it at a distance for 100% scaling, anything over 50% brightness is like a flashlight in your face. I have it at 50% brightness now and it's tolerable. Also, I am a fan of glossy screens and generally dislike antiglare coating, but what's used on this monitor works great - no glare, yet it is not overly matte and colors are as vibrant as with a glossy screen. You really need antiglare at this size.

Again, the size is insane. If you have a measuring tape, stretch it out to 43" and try to imagine how it'll fit on your desk. My desk is barely wider than this monitor, so I can't have speakers or anything else along the backside, luckily the built-in speakers are pretty good. A monitor arm will allow you to position the screen flush with the wall/back of your desk and move it down almost to the level of the desk surface. The latter is important because the extra vertical space is definitely more difficult to adjust to than the horizontal, especially at 100% scaling. I see now why all superlarge monitors are ultrawide, looking up and especially into the upper corners of the screen is hard and you end up ignoring that space somewhat if you don't position the monitor well. So if you don't have a monitor arm, I strongly recommend it for this screen with a smaller desk, and just in general they are amazing and not too expensive.

PS Honestly, just stepping back from my desk and looking at this thing is comical, I just burst into laughter. It is huge.... Especially in comparison to my NCase M1 (which had to be relegated to an IKEA stand next to my desk) and my old 24". But strangely, I think I can totally adjust to the size. It seemed way too big at first, after just 30 mins I already love it. Any other monitor size will seem like a joke now. I will post a picture of the setup when it's all mounted properly. ;)

Do you get pinkish hue along with decreased brightness at any of the corners? For example, look at a photo of a snow, is bottom near the bezel not white, but pink/rosy?

Can anyone please test the brightness of this thing? I'm really curious what the brightness at 100% brightness is

I agree. If you read thru the rest of my comments you'll see I address this. It's definitely better to to have multiple windows open at 100% scaling with this monitor vs. one full-screen browser. Especially when typing or reading, I prefer to have the text be more compact vs. a paragraph taking up a couple of lines and having to move my head back and forth as I read. Ultimately it's up to personal preference/application.

Do you get pinkish hue along with decreased brightness at any of the corners? For example, look at a photo of a snow, is bottom near the bezel not white, but pink/rosy?

Actually, I just calibrated the monitor. I used brianbrook's settings, R 50 G 34 B 9 at 60% brightness and 70% contrast. I tried christal's settings too, but liked them slightly less.

I opened Notepad in full screen and I don't see any discoloration in the corners, perhaps a tiny bit of blueish tint, but it's hardly noticeable, I really had to make an effort to see it.

Okay, I spent a few hours reconfiguring my setup and working on the mounting and it's finally finished. I can confirm that the AmazonBasics arm works with this monitor, despite its being heavier than what's officially supported. But you need a 200x200 to 100x100 VESA adapter plate. And you need to lock rotation, otherwise the screen falls to the right (I guess that side is slightly heavier). If you're buying an arm specifically for this monitor, I'd go with a beefier one.

I moved the screen all the way back to the wall and down almost to the surface of my desk. And I tilted it slightly forward so that the upper section and upper corners are easier to see. It's much more usable this way. Again, I strongly recommend an arm. And I take back my previous comments about not being able to fit the screen in your field of vision and use it comfortably at 100% scaling. I can barely do it now. 125% would be better, but I refuse to compromise. ;)

I love this thing, it's surreal. It's like having IMAX on my desk. My previous 24" monitor looks phone-sized in comparison. Here are some pictures: (again, for some reason the monitor looks smaller in pictures, in real life it's much bigger)

1fogZxk.png

lHdMdMA.png

aPXn6tU.png

Also, I am a fan of glossy screens and generally dislike antiglare coating, but what's used on this monitor works great - no glare, yet it is not overly matte and colors are as vibrant as with a glossy screen. You really need antiglare at this size.

I agree with your statement. I recently got a 40" Samsung MU6290 to test as a monitor and overall I really like it except the glossy screen at that size has some somewhat annoying reflections when sitting close. My backlit keyboard and my second monitor reflects right into it. A antiglare coating would not totally remove that problem but would mute it and make it more tolerable. Overall though I love the size, gaming is insanely immersive at 4k, working from home is great with multiple connections up and I would consider swapping over to the 43UD79...just wish it had HDR. Granted the HDR on the MU6290 is only mediocre, but it does really add to games that support it.

What is the difference between the LG 43UD79 & LG 43MU79?

Electronics could be the same since firmware for UD updates also MU. MU has 3yr warranty on panel, 1 on controller, UD 1 year warranty. Also MU is specced at 8ms GTG and UD 5ms. That's about it.

My MU has slight DSE and pink hue on the bottom -so far no one else have reported any issues with UD so maybe MU is a different panel than UD...

Has anyone touched the black stabilizer or sharpness settings? I've left them on the default 50%, I can't decide if I ever want to touch them.

I have found this values works great for me:
Picture Mode Custom
Brightness at 55%
Contrast at 70%
Sharpness at 50% (at 100% oversharpened certain fonts)
Super Resolution off
DFC OFF
Response Time Normal
Black stabilizer at 70% (I like detail in the dark scenes)
Gamma mode 4
Color Temp Custom
Red 50
Green 32
Blue 20

But Even more important for me was to switch the color control in the nvidia control panel to nvidia settings, in the default configuration I suffered from extreme black crush and it looked horrible.
Also important is to run cleartype settings to correct the halo in the fonts due to the GBR Subpixel.
After all that I am really happy with the monitor, it is miles ahead of a samsung 4k tv as a pure monitor.

Back