LG 43UD79 Information?

decided to pull the trigger on trying the Sony XBR43X800E after reading some of the drawbacks on this display + the pixel blur issues on the Samsung VA TVs of similar size. so far i'm liking it a lot. IPS panel, low enough for me input lag (30 ms approx) screen uniformity seems very good only on full white screens can i see a slight dimming on the left and right edges and sometimes the top corners, it has to do with viewing at such short range though as if i move to the side slightly or back that goes away. really only thing holding it back from being an excellent large 4K PC display is for those who can't handle a very minor amount of input lag otherwise it seems so far to me to be an incredible general use display. I used to run 1080p TVs as my primary so i know the trials and tribulations of using a TV as a monitor very well and even went back to normal monitors up until this panel but in any event very happy. if anyone wants me to test something etc let me know.

Is it fair to say that this is best 43" monitor currently?

Do you anticipate better monitors in this size range coming out any time soon.

Any alternatives that you can suggest?

i've been looking for awhile in frustration, small 4k TV's are dying and besides this LG model large 4K monitors dont seem to be taking off so there comes a point where you just gotta pull the trigger and try one, for me another factor in going with the Sony was i could buy it locally for a good price so that lowered the risk in me trying it as if it turns out to disappoint i can easily return it but still so far for me at least its a keeper with very few minor defects. compared to back when i first went thru HDTVs for a primary I'm quite pleased that there are less issues today than there were back then.

" Is it fair to say that this is best 43" monitor currently?

Do you anticipate better monitors in this size range coming out any time soon.

Any alternatives that you can suggest?
"

1. Yes.

2. Yes, in a year or two.

3. Viewsonic VX4380-4K (glossy panel which will be a problem at this size, also pixel response time seems slower, but I don`t know for sure) I take this back, this model is using TP Vision TPT430U3EQYSHM
panel which has burn-in issues.

So, yes presently this LG has no competition.

Last edited:
decided to pull the trigger on trying the Sony XBR43X800E after reading some of the drawbacks on this display + the pixel blur issues on the Samsung VA TVs of similar size. so far i'm liking it a lot. IPS panel, low enough for me input lag (30 ms approx) screen uniformity seems very good only on full white screens can i see a slight dimming on the left and right edges and sometimes the top corners, it has to do with viewing at such short range though as if i move to the side slightly or back that goes away. really only thing holding it back from being an excellent large 4K PC display is for those who can't handle a very minor amount of input lag otherwise it seems so far to me to be an incredible general use display. I used to run 1080p TVs as my primary so i know the trials and tribulations of using a TV as a monitor very well and even went back to normal monitors up until this panel but in any event very happy. if anyone wants me to test something etc let me know.
Good to know! I'm looking at the 43X800E, along with the 43X800D and 43KU7500 as my next choices once Adorama processes my LG refund. The lag and blur complaints some have with Samsung's VA panels don't affect me at all with my KS8500. I just want a smaller screen. 43" is perfect for me as a big desktop monitor.

I was tempted to try the XBR43X830C for a while, particularly because people were saying it could do 120Hz @ 1080p (albeit with artifacts). But the Sony TVs never seemed to rank as high as some of the others on rtings, and large IPS panels always seem to have the same general drawbacks. Some people love them, though. If you try it, best of luck and let us know how you like it! I couldn't find one locally and didn't want to bother with the hassle of potentially having to send one back. :)

Frito is right - the offerings in the smaller 4K TV segment as well as the large 4K monitor segment are limited. If there was a 4K OLED between 40-50" with low input lag, my search would likely be complete.

I'm still leaning toward the KU7500 because of the curve and my great experience with my KS8500.

And, yes... a 40-something inch OLED with low lag would be irresistible to me, too, unless it cost over $2500.

Frito is right - the offerings in the smaller 4K TV segment as well as the large 4K monitor segment are limited. If there was a 4K OLED between 40-50" with low input lag, my search would likely be complete.

You and everyone on this forum!

It's such a no brainer that the lack of such a monitor (along with the insanely stupid incrementing of already outdated specs going on in the gaming monitor space) convinces me that the display companies are massively colluding to keep tech off the market and to slow down the progress of new models.

Reactions: HA5
like this
Yeah i read through various threads and saw lots of mentions of the sony TV's but never once anyone actually trying one so based on rting's current model ratings the X800E was the best rated 43" 4K TV so between that and the report that it was IPS made me pull the trigger on it over the Samsung and LG monitor, plus the added bonus that i could get the Sony locally (as well as this years version of the lower end Samsung similar to the KU6300) but I know from previous experience when i did this i went though about 4 1080p TV's before settling on a Panasonic IPS panel as being the best all around compromise for me that i just prefer IPS over VA panels.

as for the X800E display wise its only minor annoyance i've seen is left/right and sometimes top corner dimming but that seems to just be based on where i'm positioned from the TV (its just color shifting slightly at close range really, something all LCDs do to some extent) its most visible on an all white screen.

I've tested 4:4:4 Chroma at 4K and it does it perfectly, text is excellent on it at 4k 100% scale in windows, its even to my surprise very acceptable and sharp even at 125-150% scaling in windows 10, this however various by app to app on how they handle windows scaling for example chrome and websites are perfect as is anything within windows but discord for example looks blurry. turning off hardware acceleration in discord helped a little bit but it just seems like the devs of discord intentionally blur text in the program and up-scaling brings out that even more so.

Input lag wise, i'm no longer as sensitive to it personally as i'm getting older and my competitive FPS playing days are gone, i'm sure at rtings rating of 30-34 ms its not as good as a good monitor but its almost impossible to find a TV or other large display that is much better than this figure and often if you do find one there are compromises like blurring transitions on VA panels because of the turned down overdrive for game/pc modes. I've yet to play an FPS on the Sony but windows mouse cursor movements and movements in NieR Automata and Rise of the Tomb Raider i have played so far it feels very good response time wise to me. maybe this weekend i'll fire up some quake champions and see how it feels as its a very snappy FPS game. It is worth nothing as well that the scaling on this TV is excellent and it has the same very low input lag even at 1080p input, thats one of the reasons it gets such high marks as a gaming TV in general which is always nice to have if you have any consoles (i just have a switch) the highest lag figure they were able to make the tv produce was with motion interpolation turned on and it was still just 50ms which is very low for motion interpolation.

On reviews i read the main complaint i've seen for its use as a TV itself was a sluggish OSD (it runs Android) I'm obviously not using any of that on it and the normal tv settings menus are pretty snappy but could be better at times, it does seem to be a bit under-powered on its OS processor whatever its using and there is probably merit to those complaints if one was to try and use the TV as a Smart TV (its still nothing near as bad as my cheap sluggish Vizio smart TV i have outside in my backyard for watching sports etc. lol

Anybody have direct comparison experience with a rev2 DELL 43 and this thing?
An Amazon reviewer said he's had both and preferred the DELL.
Ive got a 40JU7500 but I need a second big 4K- an IPS version without a gloss screen.
Need one asap.
I'm sensitive to PWM, but it appears the PWM on the LG may be better, or at least a higher freq than the DELL?

I find it hard to believe that Dell would make such a big change with Rev 2 - the PWM on the 4317 runs at a very low frequency. The LG doesn't use PWM I think...

Any shadow effect on the edges? My Sharp 43" has shadow effect similar to this one which is a little annoying.

Geez I wish I could see this thing locally before buying. Those who have purchased and returned, did you all use Amazon? Which seller?
I'd be interested in the X800E but this thing will be in a very bright office environment so I have to have an IPS wish pretty aggressive AG.

Can anybody guess what frequency the PWM is at? Samdung uses 120hz PWM, which is pretty awful..

Geez I wish I could see this thing locally before buying. Those who have purchased and returned, did you all use Amazon? Which seller?
I'd be interested in the X800E but this thing will be in a very bright office environment so I have to have an IPS wish pretty aggressive AG.

Can anybody guess what frequency the PWM is at? Samdung uses 120hz PWM, which is pretty awful..
I bought from Adorama, via Amazon. At the time, the price was $647 shipped. The return was handled by Amazon. They provided the UPS label and Adorama issued the full refund.

^^ Thanks

Anybody else have updates on their experience with this monitor?

Would you purchase it again? Have you gotten used to the edge issues?

I've been using the monitor for two weeks and I like it so far. 60hz still feels a little sluggish after running 144hz for years, but it is bearable. Higher refresh rates for 4K at this size are likely a year or two away.

This monitor does blink to black a few times a day and restore signal within a second. Annoying, but I've had worse.

The edge darkening is not a deal breaker for me. I just treat it like the edge of the screen and don't put important things off the edge.

Would I purchase it again, like, if this had been a loaner from someone else and I had to give it back, then yes I think I probably would buy one for myself. Particularly at $647.

^^ Thanks - as far as the blinking goes, are you using DisplayPort or HDMI?
Using the cable(s) that came with it? What video card?

Are you the only one that has experienced the blinking on/off?

Are you the only one that has experienced the blinking on/off?

Since my last update. I have noticed a bit of the screen going blank from time to time. It seems to affect all 4 monitors I have hooked up though, so I think it's the video card. Possibly a driver update changed how the card, a GTX 980 Ti, changes power states.

But more annoyingly, I've noticed that sometimes the screen gets some fuzzy lines on it, sometimes it's really bad, other times it's barely noticeable. It seems to happen most often in the morning, while the room is still a bit warmer than it is during the day. So it might be heat or humidity related. Turning it off then on, has fixed it every time it has happened, though sometimes it came back within minutes, other times not til the next day.

I did try swapping inputs to a different PC while it was happening, and the fuzzy lines were on that input too. Meaning it's almost certainly the monitor, not the graphics card(s).

I'm probably going to have to exchange or warranty this display. Other than that I'm still very happy with it, and still considering adding a 2nd one.

My systems are connected to HDMI 3 and 4, the 2 HDMI 2.0 inputs. I haven't tested the displayport input yet.

As I mentioned in my earlier post about this monitor, I've also experienced it going black and restoring signal after a second a few times a day. I have it connected via DisplayPort to a Mac, so considering that the above posts say this happens with PCs as well, it seems to be an issue with the monitor, not the video card or cable.

Any shadow effect on the edges? My Sharp 43" has shadow effect similar to this one which is a little annoying.

close range with an all white screen yes a little bit on the left and right sides i don't find it to be all that bad its due to viewing too close at too much of an angle if i move my head to the side slightly it disappears, its really going to always be the case with an LCD this big at close range.

^^ Thanks

Anybody else have updates on their experience with this monitor?

Would you purchase it again? Have you gotten used to the edge issues?

I've had it for almost two weeks. I think I'll be sending it back. I have the edge shadows that everyone else has mentioned, but that isn't a big deal (to me). I haven't noticed any PWM issues (I keep the brightness around 60) and I wasn't able to notice any PWM flickering when filmed by my smartphone at 120 and 240 FPS so I do think it likely isn't using PWM.

I've never seen the jumped to black that other posters have mentioned.

I think its a fine monitor and there are no deal breakers for me like the KU7500 had with the edges being washed out due to a VA panel, but the reasons I'm sending it back is that the text isn't quite sharp enough and the monitor doesn't seem to do pixel doubling for its 1080p scaling. Everything just looks a little too fuzzy. I've also struggled more going back to 60FPS than I thought I would. The delay also is noticeable in games if you're coming from a true gaming panel (but I wouldn't count that as a negative against this monitor).

If you're looking for a 43" 4k monitor I do think this is the best or one of the best out right now. If it had RGB pixels and 120+hz I'd probably call it the perfect monitor.

The other issue I have is that I learned that my work's remote sessions login caps the resolution of the virtual machine so instead of a giant 4k screen for productivity I end up with 6-8 inches of grey space on each border because the VM won't scale or increase the resolution beyond a certain size. That sort of kills the productivity increase over 3x 1080p screens.

I had similar experience with temporary signal loss or screen blinking on my Yamakasi Catleap when I was using AMD video card via DVI. Later I changed the card with GTX 1080, using the DVI port again and the blinking stopped. So with the 43UD79 is not impossible that the same problem is somehow driver related, or connected with the graphic card(s).

fwiw I have had zero issues with the 43UD79 blinking off to black screen or doing anything abnormal at all. Really the only cons I have on this monitor, in order of importance, are the edge shadows, only having 1 displayport input, the BGR pixel layout and the cheap-feeling remote.

So is BGR only an issue if you're connected to a Mac?

This doesn't affect text clarity/crispness/sharpness in Windows, does it?

I'll be using mine for productivity 9 hrs a day, no gaming.

Is the DELL 43 BGR as well?

"This doesn't affect text clarity/crispness/sharpness in Windows, does it?"

In Windows you can use "Clear Type" to correct font softness and color fringe. BGR is easily corrected.

P.S. LG is launching 43MU79 in the coming months, which will be exactly the same monitor, but with an adjustable stand.

Last edited:
A reviewer on youtube reported 100% sRGB coverage and around 77% AdobeRGB, after calibration... However the uniformity results were disappointing to say the least (>5dE deviations). For those who own the monitor, could you post some photos displaying a full white screen and a gray one (~15-20% ABL)? I can stand various monitor deficiencies, but uniformity issues just kill me, they are in most cases noticeable with normal usage.

So is BGR only an issue if you're connected to a Mac?

This doesn't affect text clarity/crispness/sharpness in Windows, does it?

I'll be using mine for productivity 9 hrs a day, no gaming.

Is the DELL 43 BGR as well?

AFAIK, there's no 4K panel above 31.5 inches that is RGB. All of them are repurposed TV panels, in essence. Now as to why do TV panels go with BGR... I have no idea - might be something to do with subjective image quality at a distance?

DisplayPort. Using the cable that came with it, and also when using a longer 3rd party cable. GTX 1080.

In my experience, any monitor or TV is capable of this kind of blacking-out. It seems to happen far more often when pushing the limits of the display interface. Sometimes (but certainly not always), with other monitors, it occurs at the exact same time as someone in the room noticeably discharges static electricity (e.g. into the floor or a piece of metal). I have not had this one long enough to notice a correlation. But it stands to reason that a bit of electromagnetic voodoo is corrupting the video signal.

DisplayPort. Using the cable that came with it, and also when using a longer 3rd party cable. GTX 1080.

In my experience, any monitor or TV is capable of this kind of blacking-out. It seems to happen far more often when pushing the limits of the display interface. Sometimes (but certainly not always), with other monitors, it occurs at the exact same time as someone in the room noticeably discharges static electricity (e.g. into the floor or a piece of metal). I have not had this one long enough to notice a correlation. But it stands to reason that a bit of electromagnetic voodoo is corrupting the video signal.

I believe EM interference was the issue with LG's Thunderbolt 5k Mac displays losing signal (no shielding used in the first batch).

I've never had displays blank out when using proper cables. And I've owned a boatload of of big displays.
Sounds like a defective design.

A reviewer on youtube reported 100% sRGB coverage and around 77% AdobeRGB, after calibration... However the uniformity results were disappointing to say the least (>5dE deviations). For those who own the monitor, could you post some photos displaying a full white screen and a gray one (~15-20% ABL)? I can stand various monitor deficiencies, but uniformity issues just kill me, they are in most cases noticeable with normal usage.
Hi,
I collected a lot of information here on HF and today I have the opportunity to monitor the test.
Images I can do for you, write in what settings dslr camera should I best use. If it is suitable to be Eizo test?
What is still unknown is the PWM control, at home I only have one camera that can handle 60fps.
The record does not show the slightest flicker in slowing down to 25% original speed. Pet

Edit: photos of white and grey, in reality the picture is much more uniform.
DSC_0404.JPG
DSC_0403.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, thank you for the pics! It looks pretty good to my eye, slight band in the middle, but it seems okay for everyday usage. Can you also do a long exposure one with a full screen black to see how the backlight bleed situation is?

You don't need a high speed camera to test if a monitor uses PWM. Instead, all you need to do is have it display an all white background, then decrease the brightness while waving your hand over the screen. If you see "trails" of your hand waving, then the monitor uses PWM dimming. The "trails" are caused by the strobe light effect of the PWM dimming rapidly flashing the backlight - if you ever tried waving your hand in front of a strobe light, you'll see similar "trails".

I've used several monitors before, some that are confirmed to use PWM dimming, and others that are confirmed to use DC dimming (flicker free). All of the confirmed PWM dimming monitors show "trails" when waving your hand in front of them, and none of the confirmed DC dimming monitors show the "trails" effect.

Fast camera the measurements would have to reveal exactly. If I use your primitive method I have a strobe even at 100% brightness. I'd rather wait for the accurate measurement of a website. If the LG panel will be really PWM regulations, I'll return it and the manufacturer will request that the wrong information from the product specification has been removed!

Last edited:
The camera shows something else than it is in reality. In fact, it is the image of the black in the corners of the slightly darkgray.
According to my is 43UD79 with the least glow effect from all IPS least what I've seen so far.
DSC_0407.JPG

DSC_0405.JPG

I'd appreciate it if you could also test for image retention. Although this panel is supposedly different to the one used by Philips and Dell for the 43" models...

Back