LG 43UD79 Information?

"Sorry. I just don't know how to evaluate the monitor in detail. For me, the image quality is just like the 27 Dell monitor's next to it."

Hi, you can leave the monitor to display some kind of text or a high contrast pattern (like a checkered board) and leave it absolutely static for about an hour.

After that put on some even gray background (you can open Paint and fill the entire screen with gray color) and examine closely for any traces of the previously displayed contrast text or pattern.

I pre-ordered one of these on amazon.com a few weeks ago. When ( if? ) it arrives I can take some video of a few tests if there isn't already anything out by then.

Yeah, really want to see some performance reviews on this thing. Surprised it's not on TFTCentral's radar.

I gave in and ordered one today... even though there are no professional reviews of Input lag and such yet. Adorama has it for $647 on both their site and ebay. And ebay has a 10% ebay bucks promotion today. I couldn't pass it up at $582.

stewartjm Do you mean you actually paid $582 or you just mean you paid $647 and gained $65 in ebay bucks from the purchase?

My only concern is that if it didn't live up to expectations (input lag, response time, burn-in, etc) then they wouldn't accept a return, or the refund minus shipping costs would be too low.

I am only offered 1% in ebay bucks if I try to check out with it at $647. Evidently you need to be targeted by ebay's system to receive this promotion.

Last edited:
stewartjm Do you mean you actually paid $582 or you just mean you paid $647 and gained $65 in ebay bucks from the purchase?

My only concern is that if it didn't live up to expectations (input lag, response time, burn-in, etc) then they wouldn't accept a return, or the refund minus shipping costs would be too low.

I am only offered 1% in ebay bucks if I try to check out with it at $647. Evidently you need to be targeted by ebay's system to receive this promotion.

The 582 includes $64.70 worth of ebay bucks. I buy things at ebay often enough that they're almost as good as cash for me. Most of the ebay bonus offers are targeted, they seem to either go after people who haven't used ebay in a while, or people that use it all the time. I mentioned it in case anyone else was targeted and looking at this monitor.

The 582 includes $64.70 worth of ebay bucks. I buy things at ebay often enough that they're almost as good as cash for me. Most of the ebay bonus offers are targeted, they seem to either go after people who haven't used ebay in a while, or people that use it all the time. I mentioned it in case anyone else was targeted and looking at this monitor.

Thought so. I guess the next best thing is to buy from Adorama through Amazon (the reduced price is there, too) and take advantage of any amazon visa card rewards. I get 5% back on amazon purchases and that includes 3rd-party sellers.

I'm just waiting on Adorama chat to verify that this monitor is not treated as a TV for the purposes of the return policy. According to the letter of the return policy, TVs must be unopened and 47 inches or smaller to be eligible for return.

Update:
I waited through the 15 minute chat queue only to be informed that no agents are available and to try again later. I guess I have to assume that computer monitors like this one are not considered TVs, because they appear in a distinct Computer Monitors section on their website .

Update 2: Yeah, I went ahead and ordered from Adorama through Amazon because who knows how long this $50 off sale will last (probably forever, lol). Thanks for the heads up on the discounted price!

Last edited:
I came here just to report this sale @ Adorama and give some details on this monitor. I too was waiting for some professional reviews but I pulled the trigger last night when I saw the sale price and the monitor arrived today.

The monitor comes packed with cables - HDMI, DisplayPort, USB-A to USB-C, and power.

The stand does tilt up and down but you cannot raise or lower it.

Not to start any debates on AG vs glossy but the anti-glare on the monitor is just right IMO, much less than the U2711 closer to the ZR2740W which are the 2 monitors this is replacing.

The monitor is way better than the Seiki SM40UNP I got last week as a test before finding out the 43UD79 was released. That monitor had significant ghosting/image retention problems and this has none.

I connected mine to my Spyder2 and the color temperature is around 7200k uncorrected with the "Warm" setting despite the included report that says 6500k +/- 500k. At a brightness level of 35 I am hitting my target of 110cd/m2. At maximum brightness the Spyder reported just over 350cd/m2.

I am sitting approx. 24" from the screen and corner visibility is great. It looks and feels like a huge monitor, not a compromise like several other 40"+ displays I've tested.

I confirmed with Adorama Customer Service (called them) that this monitor is NOT treated as a Television so it has the standard 30 day return period.

Thanks for the info turbo_ and urapnes. That helps reduce anxiety about it.

Also that is amazing ordering "last night" and having it arrive "today". Do you live in the same town that it shipped from or something?

Thanks for the info turbo_ and urapnes. That helps reduce anxiety about it.

Also that is amazing ordering "last night" and having it arrive "today". Do you live in the same town that it shipped from or something?

I know they are in NYC - I have never been there but I have been to B&H (which I highly recommend visiting if you are ever in NYC!) monitor shipped from northern NJ and I'm in eastern PA. Stuff that ships from NY/NJ usually arrives here next day.

I'm not sure exactly what their order cut-off time is but the shipping confirmation came in around midnight showing a UPS pick-up around 10PM.

Edit: Oh yeah I also wanted to confirm that it is BGR format, which is not ideal for us MacOS users. So far it's not a showstopper but be warned. I use AppleFontSmoothing=1 on my system I am not sure what the default is in the newest MacOS version.

Last edited:
Count me in as a tester. I just ordered from Adorama ($677 with 3-year warranty) after reading urapnes' post about the monitor being eligible for 30 day return. Finally got to use my Amazon card, which gives a 5% statement credit. :)

Anyone notice the border shade issue on these?

What warranty did you get? I do not see one that gives a subtotal that matches yours.

"I also wanted to confirm that it is BGR format"

Are you sure? I am using Win 10, but is it suitable for color critical work with this BGR panel?

Anyone notice the border shade issue on these?

The bottom border on mine exhibits this symptom, it's maybe 4 pixels worth? The sides and top don't. It's strange, almost like the backlight doesn't quite reach the very edge so it's slightly dimmed...

Edit: Looking at this some more it's not visible if you are looking straight on, the dimming disappears when you aren't looking at an extreme angle, so it's not a backlight issue.

Last edited:
My 2015 samsung 4K television does edge dimming too (probably in the same way). I'm not sure why it happens but it really isn't a big deal.

"I also wanted to confirm that it is BGR format"

Are you sure? I am using Win 10, but is it suitable for color critical work with this BGR panel?

Yes I examined it through a loupe, and the subpixel monitor test (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php) confirms it - black line is visible on the right side of the box. I can't answer the critical color question yet as my white balance is not great and I haven't had time yet to run a full calibration, but the subpixel layout shouldn't really affect that. The main problem with BGR is text anti-aliasing on MacOS assumes a RGB arrangement and it's not adjustable.

Honestly, why would a manufacturer do that? Where is the benefit of a BGR subpixel format?

I had one 'backordered' through Amazon for $697 for a week or so (wasn't going to ship for like 2-3 weeks)... cancelled and re-ordered through Adorama via amazon. Bonus : $50 cheaper, and no tax this time! and still get my 5% amazon cash back.

cons: still says its going to take up to 3+ weeks to arrive to Texas =/

I don't think it will take nearly that long JohnnyCashout. I ordered mine last night and I've been told it will likely ship by the end of the day today. Yours probably will, too, and then it is likely 3-5 business days to Texas.

I ordered it Wednesday afternoon. It supposedly shipped UPS ground. The UPS tracking estimate originally showed a Monday delivery, but it has been updated to tomorrow. It shipped from New Jersey, and I'm in Ohio. I'd guesstimate UPS ground would take an additional 2-3 days to get from New Jersey to Texas.

Ordered Wednesday, shipped Thursday, to be delivered Monday. :)

Mine did indeed ship UPS Ground yesterday (origin scan in NJ at 9:32 PM local time). Scheduled delivery Thursday -- in Wyoming.

Does anyone know whether the 43UD79B be a good choice for me to use with a 2016 MacBook Pro with Radeon Pro 460 video card? I'd like to use it for business use (Microsoft Office stuff), not gaming. Since the 43UD79B has a USB-C interface, I'm interested. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Amazon just pushed my ship date back to the end of June. I might have to cancel and order through Adorama, but I need to make sure of the return policy first. I'm pretty busy with work this week and next week anyways so I might just wait it out and see if it ships early.

Adorama: 30 days return window, however return shipping is at your own expense, and the policy states they will subtract their original shipping costs from your refund total. So you eat shipping costs twice. This monitor is not considered a television, and therefore you may still return it after opening it.

Adorama: 30 days return window, however return shipping is at your own expense, and the policy states they will subtract their original shipping costs from your refund total. So you eat shipping costs twice. This monitor is not considered a television, and therefore you may still return it after opening it.
Basically, I'll eat $50 - $60 if I decide to return my LG. I can live with that.

Hopefully, it'll be a great gaming monitor and I won't want to return it.

It came today. The box was a little beat up, some parts of the stand had come lose from their slots in the styrofoam packing material. But the display itself was still protected. I stuck a VESA 200 mounting plate on it and swapped it in, in place of the 43UF7600.

screen edge:
The bottom does have a shadow on maybe 5 pixels or so, about the same as the 43UF7600.
Unlike the 43UF7600 which cut off 15-20 pixels on the left and right when viewed within 2 feet. This one only begins to dim maybe 1-2 pixels on the left and right. Nope it's very similar to the 43UF7600 on the left and right sides, my initial testing was done in error.
There is no shadow effect at all on the top.

menu/settings:
HDMI 3 and 4 are the HDMI 2.0/UHD inputs, and UHD mode does have to be enabled, separately on each input.
Black level set to high appears to be the mode that doesn't crush blacks and whites.
There's a single brightness setting, as opposed to separate brightness and back-light levels, like most HDTVs I've used. It defaulted to full bright(100), which was a little searing, but not as insanely bright as some displays I've had. I turned it down to 48 for now.
It has 4 gamma settings, but they're just called mode 1-4. I'm sure the correspond to SOMETHING, but I don't know what yet.

other stuff:
Played with PBP a bit and it works. It can do 2 inputs split left/right or top/bottom, or 4 inputs in a grid. I wish it could do a mode where three inputs were displayed. One taking up the entire left or right, and the other 2 split top to bottom on the opposite side.
I'd like the remote more, if it had input specific buttons, so that I could switch inputs with a single button press. I'll probably be able to work around it with a harmony remote like I did with the UF7600.

The anti-glare coating is excellent, I definitely prefer it to the glossy coating on the UF7600.
Power saving appears to work like a normal monitor as opposed to like an HDTV, though I haven't done extensive testing yet. I also haven't tested how edid/hotplug works when the display switches off, or enters power saving mode.
The built in joystick control is alright if you can't find the remote. But I would prefer it more if it didn't stick out the bottom.

I'm considering buying another one for a side screen. Using the PBP mode would let you fill your peripheral vision with half the screen on the same desktop as the center one. And then you could use the other half for other computers/devices. It would be more seamless than the 2x 23" 1080p screens one above the other that I'm currently using, anyways.

Last edited:
It came today. The box was a little beat up, some parts of the stand had come lose from their slots in the styrofoam packing material. But the display itself was still protected. I stuck a VESA 200 mounting plate on it and swapped it in, in place of the 43UF7600.

screen edge:
The bottom does have a shadow on maybe 5 pixels or so, about the same as the 43UF7600.
Unlike the 43UF7600 which cut off 15-20 pixels on the left and right when viewed within 2 feet. This one only begins to dim maybe 1-2 pixels on the left and right. Nope it's very similar to the 43UF7600 on the left and right sides, my initial testing was done in error.
There is no shadow effect at all on the top.

menu/settings:
HDMI 3 and 4 are the HDMI 2.0/UHD inputs, and UHD mode does have to be enabled, separately on each input.
Black level set to high appears to be the mode that doesn't crush blacks and whites.
There's a single brightness setting, as opposed to separate brightness and back-light levels, like most HDTVs I've used. It defaulted to full bright(100), which was a little searing, but not as insanely bright as some displays I've had. I turned it down to 48 for now.
It has 4 gamma settings, but they're just called mode 1-4. I'm sure the correspond to SOMETHING, but I don't know what yet.

other stuff:
Played with PBP a bit and it works. It can do 2 inputs split left/right or top/bottom, or 4 inputs in a grid. I wish it could do a mode where three inputs were displayed. One taking up the entire left or right, and the other 2 split top to bottom on the opposite side.
I'd like the remote more, if it had input specific buttons, so that I could switch inputs with a single button press. I'll probably be able to work around it with a harmony remote like I did with the UF7600.

The anti-glare coating is excellent, I definitely prefer it to the glossy coating on the UF7600.
Power saving appears to work like a normal monitor as opposed to like an HDTV, though I haven't done extensive testing yet. I also haven't tested how edid/hotplug works when the display switches off, or enters power saving mode.
The built in joystick control is alright if you can't find the remote. But I would prefer it more if it didn't stick out the bottom.

I'm considering buying another one for a side screen. Using the PBP mode would let you fill your peripheral vision with half the screen on the same desktop as the center one. And then you could use the other half for other computers/devices. It would be more seamless than the 2x 23" 1080p screens one above the other that I'm currently using, anyways.

Considering you are contemplating a second, what are your initial thoughts on image quality, lag, etc.

I want to see someone who switched from an IPS GSync...can you stand it or does it drive you nuts. Leaving Gsync behind seems to be my biggest concern.

Considering you are contemplating a second, what are your initial thoughts on image quality, lag, etc.

It's basically a matte monitor version of the LG 43UF7600 HDTV.

Subjectively it's fine, nothing is jumping out at me as particularly annoying or broken yet. Once UHD was on 4:4:4 just worked, one thing that helps is I already have known good HDMI 2.0 cables.

The lag certainly isn't worse, it might be better. Input lag isn't really noticeable to me below 50ms or so. I did a little gaming before I realized I needed to switch UHD on for the gaming computer. And 30Hz was very noticably horrible, but once I switched UHD on, and switched to 60Hz, it felt great. I've never used a > 60Hz LCD... though I used to use 85Hz CRTs. So if you're coming from one of those, it might not make you happy.

It does have a gaming mode, with it's own button on the remote and menu system. Tried many of the different gaming mode options and they all pass the 4:4:4 tests. So it's gaming mode isn't some sort of half bandwidth trade off like a lot of HDTVs have.

Addition... given the PIP/PBP feature, I would be surprised if it has input lag below 2 frames... Though it's possible they could bypass some stuff when PIP/PBP are switched off.

I was able to get the white balance mostly corrected, but once I adjusted the monitor settings to reach 6500K it was only covering 86% sRGB. I haven't taken any measurements in "photo" mode yet but the color temperature is so high it's not suitable for photo work out of the box.

My current settings as a play with it some more:

Code:
Picture mode - custom
Picture Adjust:
 Brightness: 50
 Contrast: 70
 Sharpness: 50
Color Adjust:
 Gamma: Mode 2 (closest to 2.2, mode 4 is about 2.3)
 Color Temp: Custom
 Red: 51
 Green: 30
 Blue: 12

Adjusting the brightness does not throw off the color temperature until you get down below about 80cd/m2, so I am using the brightness buttons on the remote to adjust from 110cd/m2 in the evening to 150cd/m2 during the daytime (windows behind the screen).

"but once I adjusted the monitor settings to reach 6500K it was only covering 86% sRGB"

This is bad news. I knew it`s too good to be true :)

Good news: my LG was delivered today :)

Bad news: I won't have time to set it up until Sunday :(

Looks like the initial stock of this monitor may be selling out. Several vendors have prices over MSRP now.

Very interested in input lag numbers. This could be one of the few 40"+ displays that doesn't have major flaws or QC issues.

Also, how is the IPS glow? It is very noticeable on 30" and 34" monitors, so I always imagined that it would be terrible when sitting close to a huge IPS display like this.

This one has quantity issues. Nobody knows about it here in Europe.

Last edited:
Back