LG 38UC99 - 37.5'' 3840x1600 75Hz IPS FreeSync

True, but I just don't see this having the appeal the original 34UM95/UC97 did.

From reading the TFTcentral review the 75hz frame skipping with NV cards is what kills it for me. Strange that they could get it working in the strobing mode but not outside of that.

High hope for this monitor but since it does not play well with NVIDIA cards, guess I will have to wait for another monitor.

It plays like any other regular 60hz monitor with nvidia cards. You just can't use the adaptive sync and overclock it to 75hz. :)

Ask nvidia to play ball with the open adaptive sync standard and not just stick to their own tech. Adaptive sync is freely available but nvidia just refuse to support it even though they could.

It plays like any other regular 60hz monitor with nvidia cards. You just can't use the adaptive sync and overclock it to 75hz. :)

Ask nvidia to play ball with the open adaptive sync standard and not just stick to their own tech. Adaptive sync is freely available but nvidia just refuse to support it even though they could.

Yes it would be nice if NV also supported FreeSync, but I also don't think that's the reason 75 Hz isn't attainable.

I believe it's something specific to lg's implementation. TFTcentral say 75 Hz works fine when the strobing/low motion blur mode is active. If lack of adaptive sync support was the issue, then it shouldn't work period

The TFTCentral review states that this display can run 75Hz without dropping frames with an NVIDIA card, as long as you turn on the strobing backlight, which one would want to do anyway while gaming if they can tolerate the flicker.

I view this monitor as a failure: low contrast and high price make the 40" VA from philips a better production monitor. The backlight strobes at only 75Hz, so most gamers will consider the 34" Predator 100Hz without strobing a better gaming solution.

Who would buy it?
People with a high end AMD card and no productivity reason to get a 40" 4K VA.

Last edited:
True, but I just don't see this having the appeal the original 34UM95/UC97 did.

Because lg dropped the ball with the pricing. For 1000$ it would be great alternative to dual/triple display set. I used to work with 3x20 inch dells 1600x1200 and had all the workspace I needed.

Who would buy it?
People with a high end AMD card and no productivity reason to get a 40" 4K VA.

Except Phillips and iiyama are flat, which is a problem in monitor that big for non-gaming use. Not to mention both use PWM if I remember correctly. It's basically TV display with DP added. Great contrast, yes, but that's it. I was personally interested in this model, but PWM was a deal breaker for me.

Philips have a new 40" Curved 4K "flicker free" VA. Philips Brilliance 4K BDM4037UW/93

Price and release date are still unknown but if Phillips sets price around 800-1000$ like it did last time, lg will have to think long and hard about 38UC99 pricing. I mean seriously, Eizo or NEC would probably be able to get away with this price (I mean 1500$ for non-professional grade display) but lg ? With their QC and warranty terms ? Come on.

Edit:

tftcentral review:
LG 38UC99 Review - TFTCentral

Last edited:
So, has anyone gotten LG 38UC99 yet?

I just ordered mine and can't wait for it to arrive. I used to work/game for 10 years on an old 30" Dell 2560x1600, so if i understand this correctly this LG is going to be the same in high (1600) but wider (3840). Sounds like a win-win for me.

A few weeks ago i bough ultrawide Acer X34 and can't get used to it - it's too small for me after the 2560x1600 (i seriously miss the height). The 100Hz and Gsync is probably nice, but I have 2 x Titans XP and really didn't notice much improvement (that would be apparent). Of course everything is ultra smooth, but this could be because of my cards. To tell the truth, i struggled to see any difference between 100Hz on this ultrawide and my old 60Hz Dell. I guess i'm just a casual user/player.

So i'm hoping that my 2 x Titans SLI are going to keep everything super smooth on the new LG 38UC99.

Philips Brilliance 4K BDM4037UW/93 sounds good, but it's a VA panel. And I really dig the superior color reproduction of IPS.

Thoughts?

VA is fine with me as compared to IPS. TN is not.

I didn't like the curve of a 35" Acer I tried.

I didn't like the 21:9 aspect ratio for RTS, Diablo style games, or general desktop use.

I missed my Dell 3014.

So, has anyone gotten LG 38UC99 yet?

I just ordered mine and can't wait for it to arrive. I used to work/game for 10 years on an old 30" Dell 2560x1600, so if i understand this correctly this LG is going to be the same in high (1600) but wider (3840). Sounds like a win-win for me.

Thoughts?

Can you test to see if the 75hz works when you get it?

I know it has been widely reported that these displays suffer from frame skipping at 75Hz on Nvidia cards, but it seems everyone that's tested has a Maxwell based card. I'm just curious if using a Pascal based card fixes the issue, probably doesn't but worth trying anyway.

Looks like $1500 on Amazon... a little too rich for my blood. Holding on to my 40" 4K for now, would like to try an UltraWide at some point though.

Why would you bother?

Your 40" is just as wide and offers more height...doesn't make sense to me.

I live in Denmark and have been aniticipating the release of this monitor in Europe. I received it Friday after having it shipped from UK. Because of Brexit the <1000£ was a fantastic offer. They also just announced that the next batch will be 150£ more expensive.

Having played a little with the monitor I must say it is absolutely amazing. The best image I have yet to see on a monitor, almost no BLB, and the size and resolution is just perfect. I come from a PLP 4960x1600 setup and I don't miss the lost realestate. The software that comes with the LG makes it easy to arrange windows in 3 rows of 1280x1600, which is a perfect size for web, documents, mail etc. It just has that extra space that the smaller ultrawides of 3440 pixels lack.

I am running a R9 Nano @ FuryX (powerlimit increase) and use the Freesync. It runs perfectly. The limit is 52-75hz. I have played a little with expanding the range, and I could get it to run 32-80hz. The overclock worked allright, but the low fps/hz was not super pleasant. Making the screen run so low hz feels like my eyes tire, so you def. want to change settings in games to make it run above 40fps. Right now I run an expanded 40-75hz freesync range. The 32-80 made sense because it can enable LFC, which requires a minimum 2.5 factor between lowest and highest in the freesync range.

I also tried turning on the strobe setting, and I was not bothered by it. However as it will turn off the freesync I reverted to run freesync instead.

Amazing screen and super happy it - best screen I have ever had!

To those that say a 40" 16:9 is just as good, it may be, but I would feel I have to move my eyes more "up" with a 40" 16:9. This LG has a more natural hight for me and it feels really great to be emerged with the curve. Coming from my PLP setup it's a great "downgrade". :)

Mine is arriving in a couple days. I also ordered it from Amazon.uk

Can't wait. Already got 2x Titans XP waiting for it.

Ok, so I just got my LG 38UC99 display and i must say IT'S THE BOMB!

The size is just perfect. I tried 34" Ultrawide briefly and it was too small for me, but this LG is perfect.

The picture is great. There is waay less back light bleed than on the Asus 34" Ultrawide.

If you use DisplayPort the monitor supports 75Hz on an Nvidia card.

Here's a comparison photo: LG 38CU99 vs Asus 34" Ultrawide

Gonna go now test in in games and stuff (y)

Just to be clear, the monitor only does 75 Hz with NVIDIA in strobe backlight mode.

Just to be clear, the monitor only does 75 Hz with NVIDIA in strobe backlight mode.

It will "run" in 75hz, but it will skip frames, unless the strobe backlight mode is enabled. And until nvidida pulls the finger out and start supporting Freesync. :)

It will "run" in 75hz, but it will skip frames, unless the strobe backlight mode is enabled. And until nvidida pulls the finger out and start supporting Freesync. :)

Hi! Could you please elaborate a little more on that? Is that a "real" 75hz, or am I missing something? And are there disadvantages in using the strobe backlight?

I'm a little torn between buying this monitor or possibly waiting for the Samsung CF791, but I think I would really enjoy the extra real estate space on this one!

Ok, so I just got my LG 38UC99 display and i must say IT'S THE BOMB!

The size is just perfect. I tried 34" Ultrawide briefly and it was too small for me, but this LG is perfect.

The picture is great. There is waay less back light bleed than on the Asus 34" Ultrawide.

If you use DisplayPort the monitor supports 75Hz on an Nvidia card.

Here's a comparison photo: LG 38CU99 vs Asus 34" Ultrawide

Gonna go now test in in games and stuff (y)

Did you try the 75 Hz? Wondering if it skips frames when not in the low motion blur mode

You could try the test on this site to make sure: http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

Last edited:
Hey StormClaw! You are an hero! Would you mind taking the same test at 75hz with the strobe backlight enabled? <3

Thank you so much!

Any of you guys with nvidia cards tried to do a manual overclock via CRU profile to hit 75hz/80hz? Maybe that would work without skipping frames when freesync is enabled.

Would have loved to see this go on sale, but seems like no dice at this point.

Makes absolutely no sense to buy this over a much cheaper (and just as good, if not better) 40" 4K which can replicate the same resolution with black bars.

I've had the LG 34" 3440x1440 with Thunderbolt and know the experience is great without bars... but the IPS glow and BLB counters any benefits IPS had when it comes to looking at >30" panels now. IPS for large format displays is horrible because of the increased IPS glow factor alone, and this coming from a guy who went out of his way to buy IPS only for the past 10 years.

Will be even worse once Philips releases their curved 40" soon for the same price or less, which I'll buy instead if it's just as good as my 4065UC has been.

#107 I have been on the same page as you, but I must say the experience of this screen is second to none. I have tried a 40" but was not super fond of the experience in either windows or games - I felt it was too high and I had to move my head up and down. With this screen the aspect and size is just perfect. I love the 3x 1280x1600 windows for work, the 3840x1600 letterbox for ultrawide Netflix and YouTube and the ultrawide for games. Also the screen does "original" aspect ratio, so when games don't support ultrawide I can just run them 2560x1600 and I will have the equivalent of a 30" 2560x1600.

The freesync and 75hz is a bonus I wouldn't get from a TV.

Also the IPS glow and BLB is not bad at all on this screen. My old 30" DELL U3014 was MUCH worse in both ghosting, BLB and glow. This LG has an amazing picture.

Price is high but I am sure you can't compare the picture quality on this monitor with the cheap Samsung TVs - you would have to move up to the more expensive ranges where 40" is not available and the price is much higher.

I am super happy with my purchase and this is a keeper for years to come. Only thing missing is nvidia supporting freesync and/or AMD releasing a super-high-end graphics card. :)

Well guys I have had the 40" Philips 4k since it was introduced and picked one of the 38" LG's up and must say it pretty darn nice. It does piss me off that 75hz skips frames in regular mode but using the strobe mode it does not skip any frames and I can definitely notice a difference in 75hz modes in games so far.

I've updated the monitor drivers and now I can only select 75Hz mode. The 60Hz mode is gone. Not sure if it's good or bad.

3FXNcRK.png

I've updated the monitor drivers and now I can only select 75Hz mode. The 60Hz mode is gone. Not sure if it's good or bad.

3FXNcRK.png

I guess that's no big deal but you will get frame skipping unless you turn the backlight strobe on in games.

Got one of these recently from Amazon Warehouse Deals for a good price. Paid $1140. It arrived in mint condition, packaging looked like it was never been opened so I think I lucked out.

The 75 Hz still makes a big difference over 60. I'm used to higher refresh rate displays (had the X34 and PG279Q previously), but 75 still feels pretty good to me.

The monitor does indeed frameskip on NV hardware. Unless you use the Blur reduction mode which is not suitable for desktop use (gave me eye strain). Really I haven't had much time to game lately and mainly got this for productivity, so I just sold off my Pascal Titan X and got a Fury to hold me over until Vega hits. It's not bad at this res if you are fine with turning down settings in more recent titles.

All in all I'm really happy with the monitor. It's great for my usage, the extra vertical res is very beneficial for programming. I had a Dell 3008WFP before and did miss the 1600px. Too bad there does not seem to be a G-Sync version on the horizon for those on NV ( honestly expected something at CES this year).

EZjc.png

The decision to limit normal mode to 60 Hz on NVIDIA cards is idiotic. Especially consider AMD doesn't even have a card that can run this monitors resolution comfortably at 75 FPS in modern games. ;)

As much as it sucks for consumers, Nvidia is wise to not support VESA Adaptive Sync at the moment. Here's why - When you buy a G-Sync monitor, you're doing two things. First, you're buying a monitor that has a physical module inside it that was sold to the monitor manufacturer by Nvidia at a profit. So, Nvidia makes revenue off these monitors. AMD makes nothing on FreeSync monitors, nor would Nvidia. Second, when you buy a G-Sync monitor, you're essentially locking yourself in to an Nvidia GPU. So you're going to be giving more money to Nvidia down the road.

Most reports show that Nvidia has 75-80% of the discrete GPU market. So they will ride this out and sell as many G-Sync modules as they can. There are more FreeSync capable monitors than G-Sync today, but until that translates into noticeably more market share for AMD, Nvidia has no incentive to support VESA adaptive Sync, and plenty of incentive to exclusively support G-Sync.
Ya thats what is important Nvidia making money not consomures having more options to choose from.

The decision to limit normal mode to 60 Hz on NVIDIA cards is idiotic. Especially consider AMD doesn't even have a card that can run this monitors resolution comfortably at 75 FPS in modern games. ;)

Really? is it just this monitor? I have a 34" freesync 34u67 and I can get 75hz on the GTX 1080

Last edited:
Why is it frame skipping though?(is it only at 75hz?) Is there a thread with this info?
Frameskipping only if you set it to Freesync mode (75hz) on an Nvidia card

Otherwise just use 60hz with no frame skipping.

The extra vertical space (1600) makes a ton of difference (from 1440).

If this monitor supported Gsync it would have been fucking perfect. There is no worthy AMD card right now.

Frameskipping only if you set it to Freesync mode (75hz) on an Nvidia card

Otherwise just use 60hz with no frame skipping.

The extra vertical space (1600) makes a ton of difference (from 1440).

If this monitor supported Gsync it would have been fucking perfect. There is no worthy AMD card right now.

Ahh, damn is there a way to test for frame skipping? I'm currently using 75hz.

Back