LG 38UC99 - 37.5'' 3840x1600 75Hz IPS FreeSync

If you look at this list from the site in the first post, the contrast of recent IPS/TN monitors is pretty evenly distributed over the 750-1300:1 range, so 800:1 is rather towards the lower end now:

Charts

They have good instruments, but I remember when they tested the Eizo FS2735 they got much lower readings than everyone else so there's still a chance they got a lottery loser.

We'll see what Tftcentral will get, they're gonna test the new LGs soon:

The highest contrast ratio I've seen on an IPS panel is on the Surface Book, it measures at around 1700:1 to 1800:1

Weird that still no regular IPS monitors have come close to that.

The Surface Book and also the 1600:1 Eizo CG318-4K-BK use Panasonic IPS-Pro panels, these are the ones that can reach the highest contrast ratios but they are rarely used...
They are even specced as such, I believe the panel part numbers are VVX14P048M00 and VVX31P153H01.

I am not the most tech savvy guy here....but can anyone please clear something up for me? Will this monitor work with my new MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 2? It's the latest kind...I read other LGs worked with Thunderbolt, but have searched high and low and can't find an answer. I saw a picture that had an OS X interface, but that could just be a mistake. Does anyone know? Thank you! - Harry

I think Im just going to stick with the Dell UP2715K.....unless anyone thinks I'll be better off with this for my MacBook. I'm no gamer....retoucher.

Ok....spoke with both Apple and LG. Need to get a mini DisplayPort 1.2 to 2.0a active adapter that is spec to 4K @60Hz....otherwise it will just be 1080p or higher but half the frame rate.

Ok....spoke with both Apple and LG. Need to get a mini DisplayPort 1.2 to 2.0a active adapter that is spec to 4K @60Hz....otherwise it will just be 1080p or higher but half the frame rate.
That doesn't sound right to me... you should be able to use a mini-displayport to displayport cable and have it work @60Hz.... Unless this monitor is only using HDMI (which is what your 2.0a is referencing).

Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support

Long story short, just don't use HDMI (because your Macbook doesn't have hdmi2.0). Use displayport instead.

txNAltB.jpg

Personally I am waiting on the VA 1440 high hz monitors and being hopeful of their performance (at least up to 120fp-hz) and build quality. They should have ~ 5x the contrast ratio and black depth of IPS and TN monitors, perhaps even more. After messing around with a few isometric games on my 4k va tv in the living room, which has 8160:1 contrast ratio, it's painful to go back to 10x less contrast ratio/black depth+detail in blacks or worse on my TN and IPS monitors at my desk. The pg278q calibrated perfectly is 858:1 , the pg279q calibrated perfectly is 989:1. And that's in appropriate to maintaining that calibration level to your eyes to your eyes, non-fluctuating ambient lighting conditions, "best case" scenario. Even though the samsung 2560x 1080 21:9's were only 3000:1, the eizo fg2421 1080p was 4845:1 so the new 1440p VA's due out should be able to do at least that I'd think, hopefully even better, being more modern high resolution gaming panels
======================================================
post by igluk

Here is yet another update to the TftCentral articles, only concerning AUO:
LCD and TFT Monitor News

In short:
- 25'' & 27'' 1080p 240hz TN panels end of 2016
- 35'' 3440x1440 now 200hz VA end of 2016
- 31.5'' 1440p 144hz VA Q4 production (same as planned Samsung panel)
- 27'' 1440p 144hz VA in planning phase
- 27'' 4k 144hz AHVA (IPS) mass production in 2017
- 240hz 1440p planned in 2017

Personally I am waiting on the VA 1440 high hz monitors and being hopeful of their performance (at least up to 120fp-hz) and build quality. They should have ~ 5x the contrast ratio and black depth of IPS and TN monitors, perhaps even more. After messing around with a few isometric games on my 4k va tv in the living room, which has 8160:1 contrast ratio, it's painful to go back to 10x less contrast ratio/black depth+detail in blacks or worse on my TN and IPS monitors at my desk.

Yeah but I'm afraid all the upcoming - at least this year and early 2017 - high refresh VA are going to use 3000:1 panels again.
I don't know it feels like monitors are being held back since they are happily producing 6000:1 panels for TVs (example)
But they will have to use them in monitors eventually, especially if they want to support HDR.
What TV do you have? I don't believe any current VA panels can surpass 7000:1 without some form of local dimming.

It's in my sig. You are right. It's been measured uncalibrated as 5882:1 with FALD turned off, which is still quite good. It's prob a little higher calibrated with dimming off.
It is a 32 zone direct LED backlight tv with great local dimming performance, which I always leave on (it's primarily for movies/shows). I don't expect any of the monitors to have that but I can hope for 4800 - 5000:1 or more. The eizo FG2421 was 4845. Fingers crossed.

Vizio M65-C1 LED-LCD UHDTV Official AVS Forum Review
I measured the M65's contrast ratio in Calibrated mode using an ANSI checkerboard (4x4). Peak whites were 61 fL and the blacks measured 0.008 fL. That's a contrast ratio of 7625:1, which is very respectable. Shutting off FALD produced peak whites measuring a retina-scorching 99 fL, and blacks were 0.017 fL, which is a 5882:1 contrast ratio.
I performed ANSI-checkerboard contrast measurements on the calibrated panels. The M65, in (calibrated) Calibrated Dark mode, yielded 31 fL peak white and 0.0038 fL for black, an 8157:1 contrast ratio. The plasma struggled a bit with the ANSI pattern; peak whites were 30 fL and black measured 0.0058 fL, resulting in a contrast ratio of 5172:1.

Last edited:
Good point about the HDR support requiring the contrast and more importantly the black depth imo. The eizo was .03 nit black depth and the HDR premium standard is .05 nit for LCD (.0005 for OLED , amazing).

For my next desk gaming monitor, I am looking forward to reviews of the 27" 16:9 2560x1440 and 35" 21:9 3440 x 1440 200hz VA panels due out end 2016/Q1 2017. I will likely get one of those.
These should carry me for what I guess will be 3 - 5 yrs (probably the longer end for me) until I feel OLED and HDR has matured enough and is available in more tv and monitor models (as well as having more avail content), and becomes merely expensive rather than what I consider cost prohibitive.

====================================================
HDR TV: What is it and should you care?
a TV could have a peak brightness of 400 nits and a black level of 0.4 nits.
how can OLED, with its brightness issues, qualify for HDR compatibility which demands much higher brightness levels than standard TVs? Well, the UHD Alliance has got around the problem by introducing two standards:

STANDARD 1: More than 1,000 nits peak brightness and less than 0.05nits black level.

STANDARD 2: More than 540 nits brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level.

While standard one demands higher brightness and tolerates a higher black level, standard two tolerates a lower brightness and demands a lower black level. This means manufacturers looking to make LED HDR TVs, which most are, will abide by standard one, while OLED TVs will be able to gain the Ultra HD Premium label by conforming to standard two.

And it doesn’t stop there. If you’re still with us, there’s more colour stuff to go over. An HDR TV must be able to produce a certain amount of what’s known as ‘P3’ colour. P3 colour refers to the range of the colour spectrum which is included. The best way to think about this is imagine an overall colour spectrum, and within that a set of defined spaces. The P3 colour space is a larger than the what standard TVs use, Rec. 709, which means it covers more colours.
HDR means a TV can cover a wider space within the colour spectrum, and within that space, the various gradations of shades will be much smoother.

Last edited:
Nice, TFTCentral tweeted that it does in fact have a strobing back-light as tested!

I guess the million dollar question is since Freesync has nothing do do with a strobing backlight, cay you enable it on NVIDIA cards?

Thanks for sharing, but unfortunately, the video looks a lot more like a sales pitch than anything resembling of a review.

It's got everything I can learn from official webpage, and nothing that I can't (accuracy, conrast ratio, etc)...

God help me if all monitor reviews eventually turn into this, I'll never to able to buy a high end monitor again...

Thanks for sharing, but unfortunately, the video looks a lot more like a sales pitch than anything resembling of a review.
It doesn't "look", like sales pitch, because it is. Lot of these channels are just retailer/manufacturers marketing and getting "review samples" exactly because they promote their products - certainly not for going into too much detail or for (god forbid) criticism ;)

Wait for amazon reviews from verified buyers to arrive (and filter out "i've received a free/discounted sample in exchange for honest review"). This will show you more or less proper picture and quality distribution. You also don't want to be the first buyer anyway because on launch way to often they find some issues/flaws/quirks which are fixed in next batches/revisions.

Last edited:

It's got everything I can learn from official webpage, and nothing that I can't (accuracy, conrast ratio, etc)...

God help me if all monitor reviews eventually turn into this, I'll never to able to buy a high end monitor again...

Yup, no substance whatsoever. Patiently waiting for TFTcentral's review.

Never implied it was a review. Simply putting out information about the monitor as it comes available.

I like the size and I appreciate the video even though I had to skim through it to get a full view of the entire monitor at a desk instead of that guy's face or zoomed in pans of the monitor. :b

I wish some of the other upcoming 144hz and 200hz monitors were going to be a little larger like this one.

As a gamer I wouldn't want this monitor. For design and editing its probably great however. I do like how they went beyond the 34" size we often see right now. I hope they come up with something in the mid 40" range though.

Well, not really a fan of the res and as the guy in the video says its better for a designer than a gamer. I think there is and will be better for a PC gamer like me. Not liking that price tag either but I suspect that will come down some. I play new games as well as older games. What I want to see is a 40 something inch 3440x1440 monitor. Doesn't exist yet and yeah, it would be pricey.

It is advertised as having a strobing backlight mode, so it could actually turn out to be great for gaming.

Any idea if they'll have a non curved version?

You definitely wouldn't want a flat screen this wide. Curved ultrawide screens aren't a gimmick; they're curved that way so that the far edges of the screen are at a more natural angle to the viewer.

eh, i want a non-curved version. As someone that does photoshop work, I find curved screens annoying for designs that deal with straight lines (which is most of my design work as I do web/email design).

I thought the glow was usually worse on curved screens.

Off-axis glow gets worse as the degree of the angle between your eye and the pixel increases. This is why we see the glow on edges/corners and not the spot directly in front of our face. By curving the screen, the angle of the egde/corner is reduced, thus mitigating glow to a degree. Same applies to horizontal gamma shift for curved VA panels.

So if this thing has strobing backlight does that mean it is good with NVidia cards also?

Thanks for posting the review info/link.

The review shows it suffers from the 75hz limit vs response times even in strobing mode, and indicates sub 100hz strobe mode might show some flickering. The black depth is bad and the input lag isn't great either.

If they did a 120hz+ VA g-sync at this rez and size I'd be all over it.
Even though the response times in the first batch of 21:9 VA 1080high's weren't great either,
at least the VA's could get up to 120hz tightly. The 1440 high 144hz - 200hz ones are supposedly 4ms response time but we'll see when they are reviewed.

"The 34" gamer-oriented Acer Predator X34 and Asus ROG Swift PG348Q can both be overclocked to 100Hz, and that results in an improvement to the response times, which makes them a better gaming option than the LG screen. They have smoother and sharper moving images and the boosted refresh rate really makes a difference of course. "

that's why running 60fps-hz and 30fps hz lows sucks. I don't know how 4k gamers stomach it.

pleased with the results here from the Blur Reduction backlight. Tracking of moving objects became much easier and the image looked sharper and clearer. As we've already said, there's only one refresh rate that this works at (75Hz) so you are a little limited, and will have to live with some possible flicker issues due to the low strobing frequency. "
Because the response times were fairly slow (certainly compared with fast TN Film models), you still get some ghosting images behind the moving object, although it looks sharper and clearer thanks to the strobing backlight."

#74 There is not much choice. 3440x1440 100hz is max with DP1.2 so this monitor with 3840x1600 is also at peak DP1.2 bandwidth. We NEED DP1.3/1.4 to start coming out, but it is long in the making. Graphics cards just came this summer and displays are still nowhere to be seen. Not even prototypes are out (well there was ONE Asus monitor). We all know it takes ½-1 year from prototypes to actual product.

The new Samsung CF791 100hz Freesync'er was mentioned last winter! Then more info this summer, still more info now at IFA, and yet... still MIA. Probably will be out this winter for holiday sales. Same with this 37.5" panel from LG. We saw the monitor in ACER clothes in the spring then NOTHING for half a year. And it's still not available in shops.

I'm losing hope in any DP1.3/1.4 high-ress+high-hz monitor coming out within the next year. If we are lucky it will be by Christmas next year.

I'm quite tempted by this LG monitor. Seems like a perfect side/upgrade to my PLP Dell setup (4960x1600), which is starting to bug me getting games to run over all screens and the bezels etc.

From the review, it sounds like it suffers from a tad bit of flicker with blur reduction on lmao

900x900px-LL-1be83b61_theblink.gif

I wouldn't touch that motion blur with a fireproof stick! That strobe light sounds absolutely terrible!

That gif looks like a pretty accurate representation based on the review, made me actually laugh out loud, awesome :)

Yeah I'm just not seeing any reason for anyone to buy this. Even for productivity I'd rather get a 40" 4K for less than half the cost.

Gaming wise it really seems to be a non starter.

The resolution is frankly, not that exciting either - I was hoping the next major ultrawide from LG would've been 5120x2160.

Yeah I'm just not seeing any reason for anyone to buy this.

Here are some :) :

1) 75hz

2) These few 4K PC displays >32inches have their own problems

3) 4K 40 inch TV are usually low-end and using PWM which is unacceptable for an office monitor IMO.

Back