LG 38GL950G - 37.5" 3840x1600/G-Sync/175Hz

Am I krazy to be using this monitor at 75% brightness?

I just love the popping colors at this brightness level!
I tried to use a lower brightness like other people but I found it too dimm. 75% for me seems to give so much vibrancy and i really dig it lol

I was happy with 20%, tried 75 and it was too much immediately, trying 50 and I think it's still too much, but whatever works for you...

Am I krazy to be using this monitor at 75% brightness?

I just love the popping colors at this brightness level!
I tried to use a lower brightness like other people but I found it too dimm. 75% for me seems to give so much vibrancy and i really dig it lol
How many hours a day do you spend at the screen? For long periods, yeah, that seems crazy to me. I'm at the screen like 6 hours a day.

How many hours a day do you spend at the screen? For long periods, yeah, that seems crazy to me. I'm at the screen like 6 hours a day.

Ahaha on weekdays I can play pubg for about 3-4 hrs a day.

On weekends it can be 6+ hrs a day. Is 75% bad in this case? I don't feel hurt although one times my eyes did feel a bit sore.

It depends on the person. To you 75% may be fine to others too much and/or vice versa. Whatever works for you. Just remember if you ever feel eye fatigue just drop brightness down.

Is there some reason I can't run this above 144hz ? I am stumped here. 2080ti using the display port cable in the box and it says resolution maxes out at 144hz. I have Overclock on in the menu & Gsync on as well???

I did the same as you and it worked fine. But I did not use the cable that came in the box.
Do you have another DP cable around you can try?

I can set upto 175Hz on my unit and I also have a 2080 Ti, and I am pretty sure I am using the supplied DP cable aswell.

But I have it set to 160Hz 4:4:4. Works flawlessly.

Dumb question, can the HDMI 2.0 do full resolution, and if so at what refresh?

Doing a new workstation build and unfortunately will need more ports than I have on my KVM so I'm trying to work out the best way to do it.
(gaming VM with gpu passthrough, host on another gpu and then my laptop dock but only two port kvm for those that are interested)

Knew I should have got the 4 port KVM :rolleyes:

Dumb question, can the HDMI 2.0 do full resolution, and if so at what refresh?

Doing a new workstation build and unfortunately will need more ports than I have on my KVM so I'm trying to work out the best way to do it.
(gaming VM with gpu passthrough, host on another gpu and then my laptop dock but only two port kvm for those that are interested)

Knew I should have got the 4 port KVM :rolleyes:

Check the manual, probably says there. I expect it only does 60 Hz as HDMI is often a second class citizen on desktop displays.

Check the manual, probably says there. I expect it only does 60 Hz as HDMI is often a second class citizen on desktop displays.

Omfg I just got told to rtfm:D

Seriously though fair point. 84.97hz is the answer

Given the problems I’ve had with cables and USB on my kvm anyway, I’m just gonna get the connectpro udp-14ap (4 Port DP 1.4 KVM). Can’t be fucked with trying to be creative coming up with a low hassle solution, it’ll just piss me off.

I can set upto 175Hz on my unit and I also have a 2080 Ti, and I am pretty sure I am using the supplied DP cable aswell.

But I have it set to 160Hz 4:4:4. Works flawlessly.

How did you set the refresh rate at 165Hz and 4:4:4 in Nvidia Control Panel?

Ahaha on weekdays I can play pubg for about 3-4 hrs a day.

On weekends it can be 6+ hrs a day. Is 75% bad in this case? I don't feel hurt although one times my eyes did feel a bit sore.

It's not bad per se, but you'd have to have an incredibly bright room for that to be warranted. Your eyes won't thank you in the long run. I say this as an old man that never listened when people told me not to slouch, in the same vein.

Personally I find the 'correct' nits that is around 17% brightness (ymmv) too dull. I use 25% and that's fine for me. I have a backlight and lamp that helps as well. If you're staring at a superbright monitor in dark room. It'll give you strain headaches eventually but it's just fatigue of the muscles that control your iris, nothing acute.

As a random aside for anyone looking, I'm still running a 980GTX and bought this monitor. It arrived last week. I knew in advance I'd not achieve the full refresh rate this monitor is capable of until I get a newer card, at least without compromising e.g. color accuracy or resolution, but in the meantime, can confirm I get 3860x1600x85hz at 10-bit color (RGB 4:4:4). G-sync works fine too. I calibrated it with an i1Display Pro and achieved a maximum delta-E of .95 and average .35, which is a good result for color accuracy. I lowered the brightness to 7 out of 100, contrast still at 70, and used a custom color temperature in the OSD to get 6500K. At 7/100, the display was doing 90cd/m^2 which is plenty for me. Calibrated/measured contrast ratio was 855:1, which is inline with expectations. I didn't really look at uniformity.

Last edited:
Running a 6 year old GPU with this monitor! Blasphemy... haha jk

Running a 6 year old GPU with this monitor! Blasphemy... haha jk
Yeah I know - it seems kind of silly, especially given the resolution this thing runs at. I've been waffling about upgrading for a while, but figured the 2080 was released about 1.5 years ago itself. I figure I'll just hold out until the next big iteration and upgrade then. Maybe with some luck it'll be late this year?

Yeah I know - it seems kind of silly, especially given the resolution this thing runs at. I've been waffling about upgrading for a while, but figured the 2080 was released about 1.5 years ago itself. I figure I'll just hold out until the next big iteration and upgrade then. Maybe with some luck it'll be late this year?

Ya, I think this year will be similar to Turing. August/September reveal, October shipping 3080Ti and RTX Titan II around Christmas.

$200 off on Amazon right now. I just wish I had a video card that could drive it.

$200 off on Amazon right now. I just wish I had a video card that could drive it.

looks like that is a standard price drop. Best Buy has it for $1599 as well. They actually price matched and just refunded me the $200 difference from last months order :)

The fan gets louder over time:

I guess I will not even try it even though this is the month when it will finally be available where I live, despite the virus. CX48 will be my next monitor it seems, unfortunately it also comes with problems... the sucking monitors game continues.

I guess I will not even try it even though this is the month when it will finally be available where I live, despite the virus. CX48 will be my next monitor it seems, unfortunately it also comes with problems... the sucking monitors game continues.

Yeah. That one scares me away until the price drops more.

That video is way too long and rambling but I forced my self to suffer through most of it.

1. Some kind of flickering issue with things like Photoshop (but not games?)

2. The fan on his unit might be getting louder / failing?

Some people experience defects and failures. I have had zero issues with my monitor but I did buy the LG extended warranty - just to play it safe ($75 ish on a $2k monitor made sense to me)

I do agree with him that a passive cooling solution would have been better, but time will tell...

That video is way too long and rambling but I forced my self to suffer through most of it.

1. Some kind of flickering issue with things like Photoshop (but not games?)

2. The fan on his unit might be getting louder / failing?

Some people experience defects and failures. I have had zero issues with my monitor but I did buy the LG extended warranty - just to play it safe ($75 ish on a $2k monitor made sense to me)

I do agree with him that a passive cooling solution would have been better, but time will tell...

Agreed about the rambling. Could not sit through it.

1. This might be adaptive sync triggering on apps that should not use it. I get some of these issues on a few apps like Affinity Photo and just adding the app to NVCP and setting monitor technology to fixed refresh rate fixes the issue.
2. Fan noise increase could be caused by either ambient temp increase (it is summer after all!) or dust accumulation. It really sucks that these have a fan in the first place when the Freesync models probably won't.

I'm looking at the LG 38WN95C currently as my future gaming monitor. Same thing as the LG 38GL950G, but without the Gsync Module and no fan, but with HDR600 support. And thunderbolt also. And it is Gsync compatible. I feel that this is the simple but very satisfactory gaming monitor, with the minimum amount of broken tech thrown at it. Also the HDR600 is a serious claim, but most likely the last broken tech remaining in the monitor.
The LG 38GL950G is case closed for me for sure, it will be the LG 38WN95C, LG48CX or something else. I give up on hardware g-sync.
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38wn95c-w-ultrawide-monitor#

I'm looking at the LG 38WN95C currently as my future gaming monitor. Same thing as the LG 38GL950G, but without the Gsync Module and no fan, but with HDR600 support. And thunderbolt also. And it is Gsync compatible. I feel that this is the simple but very satisfactory gaming monitor, with the minimum amount of broken tech thrown at it. Also the HDR600 is a serious claim, but most likely the last broken tech remaining in the monitor.
The LG 38GL950G is case closed for me for sure, it will be the LG 38WN95C, LG48CX or something else. I give up on hardware g-sync.
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38wn95c-w-ultrawide-monitor#

The new one has a lot going for it and I'll be interested to see how they compare.

For me, the 38GL950G is like a Mullet - business in the front (HDMI) and party in the back (Displayport/Gsync) - extra connectivity and features would be nice, but my business needs are basically email, web browsing and Excel - even though I only get 30Hz on my work laptop, it's a great work monitor.

Still, my bottom line is that unless the gaming / G-sync compatible mode is 100% as good as, or better than the 950G, I'm not interested...

The new one has a lot going for it and I'll be interested to see how they compare.

For me, the 38GL950G is like a Mullet - business in the front (HDMI) and party in the back (Displayport/Gsync) - extra connectivity and features would be nice, but my business needs are basically email, web browsing and Excel - even though I only get 30Hz on my work laptop, it's a great work monitor.

Still, my bottom line is that unless the gaming / G-sync compatible mode is 100% as good as, or better than the 950G, I'm not interested...
No way the 38WN95C has as good frame syncing as the 38GL950G does. One goes full spectrum from 1hz to 144hz, and another starts from 40hz. Only this is enough of a difference, not mentioning that the 38GL950G has dedicated hardware module for frame syncing... Of course the 38WN95C is worse in this regard, but how much worse? I think not significally by much.

No way the 38WN95C has as good frame syncing as the 38GL950G does. One goes full spectrum from 1hz to 144hz, and another starts from 40hz. Only this is enough of a difference, not mentioning that the 38GL950G has dedicated hardware module for frame syncing... Of course the 38WN95C is worse in this regard, but how much worse? I think not significally by much.

It might be more of an issue for people with lower end video cards. I suspect that the 950G will be top shelf at least through 2021 but at a certain point, there is some hair splitting...

I would say so too. If I were to pick one of these LG monitors I would go for the 38WN95C as well. 144 Hz vs 160 Hz (let's just forget that chroma subsampling 175 Hz) is not a massive difference and to me no fan, HDR600, PbP mode and Thunderbolt are good tradeoffs.

I've owned the monitor for about 3 months now and haven't noticed the fan getting louder. Live in AZ so ambient temp is up quite a bit here also.

Would be ideal if it didn't have the fan but it hasn't caused any issues for me. I did opt for the extended LG warranty though just in case it goes bad.

Back