LG 38GL950G - 37.5" 3840x1600/G-Sync/175Hz

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
FML, I just reordered from Amazon because the mental anguish of checking for a price drop and stock is going to cost me more than the discount. I've already wasted half my day worrying about it.

Did you try BB? I ended up ordering from them just now, used the live chat and they were able to price match. I was billed the full amount, but they gave me a credit to my card right after placing the order. I just pointed them to LG's own site for the price match.

Arrives Wednesday :)

TFTCentral review is out for everyone to read! https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_38gl950g.htm

It's pretty disappointing that this has worse contrast ratio than my 2014 ASUS PG278Q TN panel. in 6 years they have made great strides in IPS response times but seem to have really sacrificed contrast ratio in the process.
That's what they did for sure. For VAs and IPSs both. Someone makes fast panel - the contrast ratio goes down. That's one of the reasons why these technologies have hit their limits. They can't advance without making significant sacrifices.

That's what they did for sure. For VAs and IPSs both. Someone makes fast panel - the contrast ratio goes down. That's one of the reasons why these technologies have hit their limits. They can't advance without making significant sacrifices.

Ok this whole idea of response times being tied to contrast ratio needs to stop. If this was truly the case then how do you explain how the new MSI 240Hz IPS panel delivers TN level response times while doing >1000:1 CR?

1581379740737.png
1581379630072.png
1581379541222.png

Last edited:
Did you try BB? I ended up ordering from them just now, used the live chat and they were able to price match. I was billed the full amount, but they gave me a credit to my card right after placing the order. I just pointed them to LG's own site for the price match.

Arrives Wednesday :)

I am in hell.

Dammit my friend got his yesterday and mine won't be here till tommorow even though we ordered less than 24hrs apart.

He said it has phenominal image quality and the response is insane!

Nice to see others getting involved. It really is a nice screen. Make sure you download the tft central icc profile if you don’t have a colorometer, it’s a fair difference.

Hopefully my stand turns up this week. I didn’t go with the company that does my business equipment as it was hundreds of dollars more, but now I’ve been waiting aaaaaggggggeeeasss. Will be nice to get my desk space back and lift it up to a proper height. Bloody midgets designed the oem stand. I

Got to know how to access the factory menu to correct the white point of the sRGB profile, and it will be golden.

I'm having an issue with Deep Sleep on this monitor, PC specs in sig.
- With Deep Sleep disabled, the monitor works as expected, but the internal fan stays on (audible in a quiet room) and the monitor consumes up to 15-30w even with the PC off.
- With Deep Sleep enabled, the monitor will wake normally from sleep but the refresh rate is limited to 85Hz and G-sync options do not appear in the Nvidia control panel. A power cycle of the monitor returns normal function (175Hz and G-sync enabled).
Anyone else have this issue?

Any chance someone has upgraded from the Alienware 34" UW? Any reviews on that upgrade?

If so any pics of the 2 next to each other? or at least another 34" curved UW.

The screen has been fantastic but I think this LG one will be an upgrade across the board. I suffer from Fear Of Missing Immersion, I always desire more vertical screen to go with the widescreens and this might be just enough to quell it(until the next version).

IMG_0590.png

I got mine today. Coming from an LG 34GK950F, I'm very happy with it. I also had a 38UC99 before that monitor, loved the size but the gaming experience on it was subpar due to the lower refresh rate (75Hz) and slower response times so I moved to a 34". This one finally ticks all the boxes for me. I was going to wait for the Gsync compatible versions they announced at CES, but after reading the TFTcentral review and with the sale going on it pushed me over the edge.

Image quality wise, it is comparable to the 34GK950F to me. I noticed the TFTcentral review measured a lower contrast ratio on this, but in practice, I don't really see a difference. It is inline with all recent IPS panels I've used.

Fan - it's too bad it has one, but I don't hear it in normal use. If I put my ear to the display casing, then yeah, it's audible. If your workspace is completely silent (mine isn't) then it might be an issue, otherwise I don't think most will mind.

I see the vignetting near the very top as mentioned by some other users. I didn't have that on the 34", but the old 38" panel I had also exhibited this so it must be something that affects all of them. I never found it to be much of an issue though. In normal use it's not something I see, if I open up a full page, solid white BG then yeah I'll notice it. Even OLED has some issues with uniformity though it has been getting better with the newer panels. So I agree with with TFTcentral mentioned on this.

Gaming experience is amazing on it. Playing Doom, everything felt incredibly responsive, the motion looks fantastic at 160 Hz.

The only negative I can say about it is the price. Even at the $1599 price I still feel like this is too expensive for what it is, but LG can get away with charging that since the high end monitor market is smaller and this monitor in particular is one of a kind for now. Dunno if we'll see further drops as quickly as I hoped, given that the competitors like Acer actually priced their equivalent much higher than the 38GL950G.

I also read that even though this uses a hardware G-Sync module, it is one of the monitors that also works with AMD cards for FreeSync. So that was a factor in purchasing it too, since I have some other systems with AMD cards I might hook up to it from time to time.

I'd like to ask the owners: is this monitor a killer of the 48CX for you?

Not really, but I never planned to get the 48CX anyway. As I mentioned in the thread for that, it's too big IMO. If I was just gaming I could make that size work, but for productivity use - no. 40" is the upper limit of what I'd want. I have a 55" OLED as well, only use it for playing games without KB+M though.

Overall this is a fantastic display and if you can deal with the price then I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. Going to put my 34GK950F up on the FS section soon btw.

Been testing my new DP 1.4 cable and no more screen blanking. Looks like under certain circumstances, the included stock DP cable with the "5K" sticker on it isn't up to snuff for this monitor.

Been testing my new DP 1.4 cable and no more screen blanking. Looks like under certain circumstances, the included stock DP cable with the "5K" sticker on it isn't up to snuff for this monitor.

Do you mind linking what you bought to save others some time?

I'd like to ask the owners: is this monitor a killer of the 48CX for you?

Not even close. For pure gaming the 48CX will probably destroy this thing. Black blacks, no vignetting bullshit, higher resolution. I really see no downsides for gaming.

You can't use OLED displays for desktop monitors though.

It's not the service menu, but sometimes DDC/CI tools can show some settings hidden by the monitor's OSD. Try this tool https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/control_my_monitor.html
Nice program, thanks, but I don't have the monitor yet.

Not even close. For pure gaming the 48CX will probably destroy this thing. Black blacks, no vignetting bullshit, higher resolution. I really see no downsides for gaming.

You can't use OLED displays for desktop monitors though.
I actually use the 55" OLED as a monitor, and don't have any problem with it except size and 60Hz refresh rate. And no gsync.

so I got the LG 38GL950G to replace my Asus XG438Q.

Initial impression was, the LG image is much better, colors pop more and more vibrant.

Response is night and day difference on the LG, it's so smooth and fast compared to the Asus. I see 0 ghosting at all times on faster setting! Amazing!

Quality of the image looks alot sharper, thanks to the higher PPI. No blurry mess ever!

Only downside is coming to what feels like a much smaller screen, I feel boxed in from the lower vertical space. Only a minor negative.

Asus served me well, but I will keep the LG. Still I do not think it should be priced almost 2x the XG438Q, it's absurd!

so I got the LG 38GL950G to replace my Asus XG438Q.

Initial impression was, the LG image is much better, colors pop more and more vibrant.

Response is night and day difference on the LG, it's so smooth and fast compared to the Asus. I see 0 ghosting at all times on faster setting! Amazing!

Quality of the image looks alot sharper, thanks to the higher PPI. No blurry mess ever!

Only downside is coming to what feels like a much smaller screen, I feel boxed in from the lower vertical space. Only a minor negative.

Asus served me well, but I will keep the LG. Still I do not think it should be priced almost 2x the XG438Q, it's absurd!
Do you notice the vignetting?

Problem is, this is probably the end game monitor, even considering the CX48 OLED. The CX has (will have) better image quality, but the smoothness of the moving images and response times will be inferior to this display due to the G-Sync module that starts syncing frames at 1fps, while the OLED will start doing it at 40fps, and even then - not equally effectively. If one can live with teh vignetting, there is no need to look at the OLED, imho. Well, maybe in march there will be a supply in my location, and I will be able to buy one and see for myself. Especially if I will be able to get inside the firmware and correct the sRGB white point, there will even be no subject of discussion then. Unless... they make a 43" OLED with Gsync module, and then, that will be another story, lol. 💞

Problem is, this is probably the end game monitor, even considering the CX48 OLED. 💞

I would consider the LG an end game monitor if it had FALD, and atleast HDR1000 but kept all its current response and speed!

That would make it near impossible to beat!

I would consider the LG an end game monitor if it had FALD, and atleast HDR1000 but kept all its current response and speed!

That would make it near impossible to beat!

If it had FALD, it would be a VA panel which would make it not an end game monitor.

Also, I don't notice the vignetting.

This monitor is great on a 1080Ti, but it will be astonishingly good with the next gen Nvidia cards.

No regrats.

Well. OLED is a mess on an all white screen due to banding.

Near black uniformity is still an issue on OLED as well, though they've improved a lot from the C6 I have I've still seen many pictures of uniformity issues on the newer panels. So yeah, no perfect panel exists, but as with the vignetting here I find it is a very minor fault.

Back