LG 38GL950G - 37.5" 3840x1600/G-Sync/175Hz

Did you even watch the video? 17:18 he mentions a noticeable vignette effect that's noticeable even during normal usage.

I fast forwarded through it, so I missed it. I retract my criticism. He did say that it's not noticeable while gaming, though, and it actually is--especially in games with bright skyboxes.

Well, then this monitor is a no go. I was hoping that vignetting was not present on every unit. But looks like it is. Another gaming monitor that turned out to be a flop... 48" OLED here I come.

I knew it was on every unit when I could detect it in Linus's footage. They send these guys cherry picked monitors. They're getting UNREALISTICALLY uniform displays to review. So when even Linus gets one with it, you know it's only going to get worse from there.

HU had some numbers up that didn't have unit references, but in their video it didn't come off as 'bad'. Do you have a source that really exposes the deficiency you're concerned about?
It was mentioned in this thread by the owners and in the video. It's so bad that it looks like vignetting.

I knew it was on every unit when I could detect it in Linus's footage. They send these guys cherry picked monitors. They're getting UNREALISTICALLY uniform displays to review. So when even Linus gets one with it, you know it's only going to get worse from there.
Absolutely.

I have the monitor, I’m also quite experienced in pro level vision stuff. Did support for broadcast and editing suites as well as fashion designers and now have my own company that does visualisation stuff. I know good vs bad

The ‘vignetting’ isn’t noticeable in use, the only time I could see it coming up is bright screens where you are looking at the edge, so something like frostpunk maybe. It’s there but pretty much by definition it’s peripheral vision almost all the time. If I was editing photos then it’d be a deal breaker but in a million years I wouldn’t be using this screen for that anyway.

It’s one of those things that looks much worse in photographs than it is. Even though I run a company doing visualisations I didn’t even notice till someone pointed it out.

I know it’s quite the trend to get worked up at something not being ‘perfect’ and we amplify it, plus I am lucky enough that the money isn’t as big a deal for me so I can more easily accept compromise but it IS a great monitor The form factor is as good as it gets currently (perfect would I think be 43 inch 21:9 with 140 odd ppi I think)

it might be the freesync one is better for this (you’d hope), it might be that we need to wait for mini led for some better uniformity.

If you’re lucky enough that 48 inch 16:9 works for you then that’s awesome, do it. I’d love an oled screen, I was ready to spend 5k on a 32 but had that taken away from me, personally I just can’t live with that form factor (tried a 43 16:9 and it was horrible), doesn’t mean I just go bitching in every other post that it’s not 21:9

please though, stop just banging on about the oled in this thread. Use that one, start one about the parlous state of the display market and its pricing. If you don’t want this or are not interested then it’s just dumb to keep going on about what you do want. They’re not a similar proposition and the whole point of a thread is to discuss the subject, not go with some weird pre-purchase rationalisation

Meanwhile, I’m going to go and get salty that the 34WK95U isn’t 38 inch, doesn’t work that great with PC (though I only have a couple of people that use them) and somehow manages to look like it costs about $200... look, none of that has anything to do with this screen

Last edited:
I have the monitor, I’m also quite experienced in pro level vision stuff. Did support for broadcast and editing suites as well as fashion designers and now have my own company that does visualisation stuff. I know good vs bad

The ‘vignetting’ isn’t noticeable in use, the only time I could see it coming up is bright screens where you are looking at the edge, so something like frostpunk maybe. It’s there but pretty much by definition it’s peripheral vision almost all the time. If I was editing photos then it’d be a deal breaker but in a million years I wouldn’t be using this screen for that anyway.

It’s one of those things that looks much worse in photographs than it is. Even though I run a company doing visualisations I didn’t even notice till someone pointed it out.
...[snip]

This kind of feedback is very useful to me - it seems that some of the biggest critics are people who don't really have any sort of interest in it to begin with.
My thought was that the "vignetting" wouldn't be an issue for gaming or office work - that I wouldn't notice it much and if I did, it wouldn't bother me.

This would replace my triple monitor setup and I'd have to sell 3 high end gsync monitors that are only 9 months old, at a loss. I like playing on 3 screens, but the problem is that it just takes too much GPU power and it makes your setup more complicated and fussy. My wife is telling me that if I switch to the 38, that I'll eventually want to go back to 3 screens and it will just be a waste of money.

My thinking is that to stay on 3x 27", I'm going to need a bigger PC with 3080Ti SLI - that means a big PC, lots of heat, more expense.

By going to the big UW, I think I can get immersive gameplay that will run really well on a single GPU and allow me to stay in a SFF system.

I dont have the monitor but from everything I'm seeing and hearing about it is that its a good monitor but woefully over priced for what it is and what it has or doesn't have feature wise. Hopefully we'll see more actual owners chime in here and give their impressions.

It’s a tough one, obviously your wife knows you much better

For me, I went from double 27” and have been pretty consistent in saying that despite losing space I find it generally the ultra wide more usable. Yesterday was a great example where I had tennis up as well as my work. I’ve always been able to do that of course but on the edge of 49” 32:9 it was too much head movement that it was just distracting to look. Conversely I’ve found that my window layout is much more disorganised now, I have windows just dragged about rather than filling screen halves. Just an observation of its use and I don’t believe it causes a problem

Gaming is a bit different, I do understand the immersion of using three screens. I only ever had two (ironically given my last post they weren’t matched because I had a wide gamut for images and a gsync) so I didn’t tend to do it a lot, what I will say though is flight sims, elite and racing games work really well, but there’s obviously less peripheral vision. Then again I’m facing similar conflict as I want to get the new Vive for those. I’ve never gotten on with head trackers and playing dcs... dials.

To the grunt issue, I’d say you’re not going to find anything is a 3+ year answer atm. Even this needs ampere to max out, let alone 1440*3 needs. We’ve just seen the next 12 months of screens, next year we’ll probably have the displayport 2 resolutions coming through, and start getting the high refresh, higher res 1600 HDR screens. That’s tail end of 2022 before they’re on market though. That’ll likely need a new gpu too. Same time frame and hey maybe windows HDR won’t suck by then. For me this is solid till then but I fully acknowledge its limitations.

my current plan is to go sff to go with this too. 3950x itx with a 3080Ti. Nom

I dont have the monitor but from everything I'm seeing and hearing about it is that its a good monitor but woefully over priced for what it is and what it has or doesn't have feature wise. Hopefully we'll see more actual owners chime in here and give their impressions.

it absolutely is massively expensive, but pricing on all high end gaming screens atm can be broadly categorised as fucking dumb. Overpriced is subjective, it’s not like there’s equivalents. Oh there is, the Acer version, oops costs more. It’s also not the most expensive screen, the PG-VQ is (for everyone upset about this compared to oled you should here me rant about the price on that for VA) Here in Australia this is already reduced compared to when I bought it at least. By like 15%, so there’s that.

Overpriced is subjective, it’s not like there’s equivalents.

This is what people seem to keep forgetting -- these monitors use low rate production parts and are targeted toward a very limited market.

These two factors combined push up price quite a bit, especially considering that the manufacturers also expect to make a profit from the product sales overall.

Price is only going to go down first with competition - which we have, to a degree - but also with increases in production rate of the components, and that's only going to happen if demand starts outstripping supply enough for manufacturers to notice.

It’s a tough one, obviously your wife knows you much better

For me, I went from double 27” and have been pretty consistent in saying that despite losing space I find it generally the ultra wide more usable. Yesterday was a great example where I had tennis up as well as my work. I’ve always been able to do that of course but on the edge of 49” 32:9 it was too much head movement that it was just distracting to look. Conversely I’ve found that my window layout is much more disorganised now, I have windows just dragged about rather than filling screen halves. Just an observation of its use and I don’t believe it causes a problem

Gaming is a bit different, I do understand the immersion of using three screens. I only ever had two (ironically given my last post they weren’t matched because I had a wide gamut for images and a gsync) so I didn’t tend to do it a lot, what I will say though is flight sims, elite and racing games work really well, but there’s obviously less peripheral vision. Then again I’m facing similar conflict as I want to get the new Vive for those. I’ve never gotten on with head trackers and playing dcs... dials.

To the grunt issue, I’d say you’re not going to find anything is a 3+ year answer atm. Even this needs ampere to max out, let alone 1440*3 needs. We’ve just seen the next 12 months of screens, next year we’ll probably have the displayport 2 resolutions coming through, and start getting the high refresh, higher res 1600 HDR screens. That’s tail end of 2022 before they’re on market though. That’ll likely need a new gpu too. Same time frame and hey maybe windows HDR won’t suck by then. For me this is solid till then but I fully acknowledge its limitations.

my current plan is to go sff to go with this too. 3950x itx with a 3080Ti. Nom

Funny that you mention VR - my son has been saving for a HMD to play Alyx when it comes out and I've been wondering if that would be a viable alternative to the super-immersion you get from 3 screens.

You're right that nothing that is out in the next 6 months is going to be cutting edge in 2-3 years but that's always our dilemma - something better is "on the horizon" and it will cost less. The biggest objection to the LG 38 is the cost, but as someone who would use it at least 8-10+ hours per day for 2 years or so, the cost is worth it. Especially since selling my current monitors will cover 70% of it - the differential is maybe $500-600 which is close to impulse purchase territory.

The peripheral factors are that 3 monitors is a lot of cables and a lot of mounts and just a lot to have on a desk, even when optimized with good arms and careful cable management. It's 12 cables when you count the accessory monitor. Throw in 7.1 sound and dual PCs and everything else and the cabling - even for someone who knows exactly how it's mapped out - is quite daunting at times.

Additionally, and this is both a positive and a negative, but through the work day, I have work up on 2 screens and my personal browsing (this forum, discord, twitter, etc) up on the left monitor. It's nice, but it makes it easy to get sucked in and lose track of time. I'm thinking single main monitor might change that dynamic so I'm either doing personal things or I'm working - not stuck in the grey area of sort of trying to do both.

I'll keep my 21.5" top screen as I like to monitor discord while in game and I'm hoping that doesn't subvert this aspect of the change, but time will tell.

Sounds like we’ve got a lot of the same considerations, I’ve been told the new VR finally makes flight sims viable so I’ve been itching but will look after I’ve moved house and have more space again. If the child was pushing for it too then Daddy would be buying it for him already, but for me really

Fully understand the supplemental screen thing, I use my laptop atm but am looking at putting a recessed screen into my desk for exactly that as I do tend to refer to stuff a LOT when working, but again it’s for when I move (no point now as don’t know how much space I’ll have)

I work at home a lot so it helps the cost case (and leads to similar business cases to yours, mine was 30 hours a week for 104 weeks, who gives a shit get the best screen you can afford). It was also 83% tax deductible for me and no sales tax which helps of course.

The tidy up I get. The difference for me was massive.

72098CB7-3E4F-4BFC-AB97-2BABCF3E033D.jpeg

8C914A88-ED03-44E9-AF85-EF2361C1C799.jpeg

Meant I could finally get my speakers in use but I still don’t have enough room even with an 6 foot desk, need lamp etc. As an aside I think it still needs a stand too, my new one hopefully comes soon, there’s not enough vertical adjustment (I’m tall) on the stand and I learnt my lesson before trying to have a monitor too heavy for the arm.

As an aside, and not to retread old ground too much but that second picture is representative of the vignette. The picture was not trying to ‘show’ it (those pictures always make things out to be much worse) as I hadn’t noticed at the point it was taken but bright screen, gaming, dim room (increases relative contrast) it’s there, can’t deny it, can’t defend it (it’s stupid for the money) but for me I genuinely didn’t (and don’t) notice, if it pops into my head though I’m like “oh yeah”. It’s one of those things that just depends on what you’re doing I think. I’ve literally screamed at my computer before when doing colour sensitive and development work (fuck you srgb) in the past so I get it. Wish it didn’t have it, but there’s no alternative I’d rather have, and won’t be for almost two years, so it’s moot. I sat and waited for well over a year for the 144hz 4Ks that ended up being shit so I told myself I wasn’t waiting for stuff announced at CES anymore. Just enjoy what you can justify. We do this for enjoyment right?

Last edited:
A fellow Elex owner, I see!

Reminds me I need to get a custom cable to replace the ones it comes with, I can see the stiffness from here, oof...

Yeah that cable shits me, sat trying to straighten it out yesterday for like 10 minutes.

I got this monitor in today and it is a blast in Escape from Tarkov. I'll post some thoughts in no particular order:

1. Box is smaller than you would think for such a display.
2. I love curved monitors and it works well with this format display. I do wish it was just a little bit more curved.
3. AR film is great. Definitely on the lighter side, no annoying sparkle or clarity hampering.
4. It does have a fan, but it is definitely the quietest fan I've heard in any DP 1.4 G-Sync monitor.
5. Not a huge proponent of the single middle under-front-lip joystick control. The OSD presets also don't save things like brightness and on-screen cross-hair. You have to manually adjust those things every time if you want to change them, as the four presets don't save their status.
6. The overdrive setting of "fast" is really the only option. They may have well just deleted the others. As we all know, the "Fastest" setting is a overdrive artifact joke and used just to publish a "1ms" marketing blurb.
7. Brightness is great and suitable for a room with a lot of windows. My Mark I eyeball has it around ~500 nits.
8. 160 Hz is basically the refresh rate that makes the most sense. Set it to Full RGB 160 Hz 8-bit color, turn on G-Sync, Turn on V-Sync, Ultra Low Latency mode and FPS cap to 156 and forget about it.
9. HDR as we all know is a "check the box" on this monitor and not really worth using. Locks brightness control and other annoying things.
10. Contrast as expected is pretty poor, in the 700-800:1 range. Associated poor black depth.
11. IPS glow seems to be standard fair for a modern IPS. Back light bleed is minimal.
12. QD film colors are great.
13. The variable back-light settings don't seem to do much. Although, it does make the display slightly brighter so I leave it on the (Faster) setting.
14. 3840x1600 37.5" @ 160 Hz/FPS is a real immersive treat. You will need some serious hardware for this display outside of playing Counterstrike and Overwatch.
15. Whites are actually white with no tinging like on some other LCDs.
16. Motion clarity is excellent for an IPS. Although still noticeably not as clear as something like my 240 Hz TN Lenovo Y27gq-25.
17. As with basically all G-Sync monitors, input lag is virtually non existent.
18. Being an IPS, viewing angles are great. No noticeable gamma shift.
19. My 4K Firestick worked in the HDMI port, but only obviously at 1080p max. It does allow a 16:9 image to be stretched, but missing a "zoom" function that would allow taking advantage of 2.35:1 movies and getting rid of the black bars is a missed opportunity.
20. Having 111 pixels per inch along with typically a slightly further viewing distance due to the monitors size, text and images are sharp and clear.
21. The screen edges do have vignetting. While not readily apparent in normal use and gaming, a solid color easily reveals it.
22. The circle light on the back is a bit of a joke if you wish to use it as bias lighting. Totally diffused improperly and the colors are really bad for bias light use. Just hold down the scroll-wheel next to the OSD joystick to completely turn that junk off and purchase a real bias light.

So who is this monitor for? I'd say someone who has a really beefy PC, who doesn't play or care too much about HDR games and who likes wide-screen/curved immersion. I feel it hits a real "sweet spot" when it comes to the combination of size, resolution, and refresh rate for someone with a 2080Ti or RTX Titan. Since LG OLEDs are still stuck at 4K/60 Hz or 120 Hz 1440p until the next GPU cycle, this is my go-to gaming display for now (quite possibly until the 48CX launches).

Great summary, pretty much ‘what he said’

Only thing I disagree on is the curve but that’s a personal preference, I like a little bit but not too much. So with 49” I prefer the Dell to the Samsung for example.

I believe the Acer version is going to have a tighter radius so will be interesting.

I'd be really surprised if the Acer panel was any different. They'd have to open a whole new production line if they changed the curve. So far all 37.5" 3840x1600 LG panels have had the same curve.

Yeah you’re right, old man brain fart but I could swear the x38 was r1800

I got this monitor in today and it is a blast in Escape from Tarkov. I'll post some thoughts in no particular order:

I will probably switch inputs several times per day, possibly every few minutes at times. How fast and easy is it on this monitor? Its not great on the PG279...

i'm driving the AW3418DW with a 1080ti around 100 FPS in modern titles with some details lowered. i guess this thing would flush my FPS down the drain with the same GPU.

i wish 3000s nvidias would be here sooner :)

i'm driving the AW3418DW with a 1080ti around 100 FPS in modern titles with some details lowered. i guess this thing would flush my FPS down the drain with the same GPU.

i wish 3000s nvidias would be here sooner :)

Same here. I'm hoping the price goes down by the time those new cards come out because there's no way I'm running this monitor on a GTX970.

I will probably switch inputs several times per day, possibly every few minutes at times. How fast and easy is it on this monitor? Its not great on the PG279...

It's fairly easy and quick. Two button presses: press the joystick in once to bring up the menu, then move the joystick left to switch inputs. Takes about two seconds for the other input screen to come up.

It's fairly easy and quick. Two button presses: press the joystick in once to bring up the menu, then move the joystick left to switch inputs. Takes about two seconds for the other input screen to come up.

Thanks - that helps a lot.

Has anyone that has this monitor experienced any 1-2 second blanking to black screen issues? It's happened to me four times now since I've had the monitor. It could be the DP cable, which doesn't particularly seem to be of any special quality. Especially since at 160 Hz I'm basically maxing out DP 1.4 bandwidth on this display. I have a new cable inbound to test.

Has anyone that has this monitor experienced any 1-2 second blanking to black screen issues? It's happened to me four times now since I've had the monitor. It could be the DP cable, which doesn't particularly seem to be of any special quality. Especially since at 160 Hz I'm basically maxing out DP 1.4 bandwidth on this display. I have a new cable inbound to test.

I don't have this monitor, but I have experienced blanking on my 3 PG279QZs (DP) and my previous 3 S2417DGs where if I slide my bare feet on the carpet under the desk, the static charge will make the screens blank out for about 1 second. I do use longer DP cables because I run them from my PC under the desk, up through the monitor arm holes, down the monitor arms, etc - I think most of my cables are 10ft - but the static induction blank screen is a thing.

Also, it's more sensitive and easy to reproduce in a 3D game for some reason. I just tried it while I'm only in browsers / discord and sliding my feet didn't do anything, but when I touched my keyboard, the static made the screens blank for a second.

Interesting, ya I am thinking this OEM cable may be picking up some EMI from something.

I don't have this monitor, but I have experienced blanking on my 3 PG279QZs (DP) and my previous 3 S2417DGs where if I slide my bare feet on the carpet under the desk, the static charge will make the screens blank out for about 1 second. I do use longer DP cables because I run them from my PC under the desk, up through the monitor arm holes, down the monitor arms, etc - I think most of my cables are 10ft - but the static induction blank screen is a thing.

Also, it's more sensitive and easy to reproduce in a 3D game for some reason. I just tried it while I'm only in browsers / discord and sliding my feet didn't do anything, but when I touched my keyboard, the static made the screens blank for a second.
I have this issue as well. Sometimes I'll get a static charge through my feet when I move my chair and it causes the screen to blank out for a couple seconds.

I wish this monitor had ULMB. Would make it an easier buy so I could go to one monitor. Not sure if any G-Sync Ultimate displays have ULMB though?

Phenomenal response time, 160Hz, would be a perfect fit for some strobing!!!

Interesting, ya I am thinking this OEM cable may be picking up some EMI from something.
I had to replace the OEM cable on an Acer Predator monitor for something similar.

Stupid, but it was cheaper than RMA shipping or otherwise, and it worked.

Is there a good extended warranty to get on something like this? On 3 $600 monitors, I feel like I can let it ride because if one dies, I still have 2 and I can buy a replacement if warranty doesn't cover it.

With this screen, all my monitor eggs are in one basket (so to speak) and if it goes down, I have a screen problem and if it's not covered, I have a $2000 money problem as well.

Square Trade? Asurion?

Anything note worthy as a good deal or to stay away from?

Is there a good extended warranty to get on something like this? On 3 $600 monitors, I feel like I can let it ride because if one dies, I still have 2 and I can buy a replacement if warranty doesn't cover it.

With this screen, all my monitor eggs are in one basket (so to speak) and if it goes down, I have a screen problem and if it's not covered, I have a $2000 money problem as well.

Square Trade? Asurion?

you can get extended warranty from lg, for me the cost is like $300 for extra 2 years, will get it before first year expires.

"So who is this monitor for? I'd say someone who has a really beefy PC, who doesn't play or care too much about HDR games and who likes wide-screen/curved immersion."

Well that would be me but I'm holding off upgrading my 2560x1080p until the 3080Ti (or whatever they name it) comes out. Of course the new 43" could be out by then. I'm thinking that won't happen though until Novemberish. I'm skeptical about new monitor release times.

Square Trade? Asurion?

I just just registered mine on LGs website. At the conclusion it let me buy two more years extended warranty for $74.

I think the chief problem with this monitor is LG's competition: itself. For $1000 less you can get the 34GK950F/G (F is better btw) which is basically the same with less pixels.

3840x1600 is nice but jesus more than double the price of 3440x1440 and it came out over a year later? Goddamn monitor market! Someone come in and shit all over it please...

I think the chief problem with this monitor is LG's competition: itself. For $1000 less you can get the 34GK950F/G (F is better btw) which is basically the same with less pixels.

3840x1600 is nice but jesus more than double the price of 3440x1440 and it came out over a year later? Goddamn monitor market! Someone come in and shit all over it please...

You can buy 3440x1440 UW monitors all day - 144Hz w/o Gsync, 120Hz w/Gsync

I've used one - it's nice, but they only offer 1/3rd more screen space vs a 27" and they cost twice the price so it's not like these disproportional price increases don't exist already, we're just used to them.

A 34" UW doesn't offer me enough to replace 3x 27" monitors in terms of work space. The 38" class does - more vertical and the width of two 1080P monitors.

The cost of incremental monitor improvements isn't linear - it's more logarithmic or geometric or whatever - but once you realize that, it makes more sense.

You can buy 3440x1440 UW monitors all day - 144Hz w/o Gsync, 120Hz w/Gsync

I've used one - it's nice, but they only offer 1/3rd more screen space vs a 27" and they cost twice the price so it's not like these disproportional price increases don't exist already, we're just used to them.

A 34" UW doesn't offer me enough to replace 3x 27" monitors in terms of work space. The 38" class does - more vertical and the width of two 1080P monitors.

The cost of incremental monitor improvements isn't linear - it's more logarithmic or geometric or whatever - but once you realize that, it makes more sense.

But up to twice the cost of the 60 Hz 38" model? At least here in Europe. That's a bit much IMO especially when it doesn't come with even all of the features of the 60 Hz model like PbP mode and wide variety of inputs. Or even with things like ULMB that used to be extra features that made the G-Sync tax more acceptable. They can't get the Freesync models out soon enough as I feel those will be far better value for money.

The 38GL950G is in a completely different league than the 34GK950 series, or any UW 34" display. You'd be surprised how much of a difference that extra 3.5 inches makes (that's what she said), along with 1.2 million more pixels. And on top of it add higher refresh and much faster pixels. Those 34" 3440x1440 monitors feel just like a 27" 1440p monitor with wings tacked on (which it is) and I was never impressed with them.

Back when I tested the original 3840x1600 37.5" LG years ago that ran at 75 Hz I knew there was something special about this size/aspect/resolution.

I think once all of us bleeding-edgers blow our $1,800 load, it will settle around $1,500 and be a much better value.

Last edited:
The 38GL950G is in a completely different league than the 34GK950 series, or any UW 34" display. You'd be surprised how much of a difference that extra 3.5 inches makes (that's what she said), along with 1.2 million more pixels. And on top of it add higher refresh and much faster pixels. Those 34" 3440x1440 monitors feel just like a 27" 1440p monitor with wings tacked on (which it is) and I was never impressed with them.

Back when I tested the original 3840x1600 37.5" LG years ago that ran at 75 Hz I knew there was something special about this size/aspect/resolution.

I think once all of us bleeding-edgers blow our $1,800 load, it will settle around $1,500 and be a much better value.

You used to run a triple headed rig, when did you give it up and do you ever regret it? I've been running it for 8 years and, well, it's hard to let it go :D

Back