LG 38GL950G - 37.5" 3840x1600/G-Sync/175Hz

I wonder, since the AUO 43" panels got such attention, if LG has given thought to releasing the 16:9 equivalent to this around the 40" mark, basically the same panel just more vertical. I have a different 38 now and do like it alot. Not surprised that this model is as good as it is. But 16:9's still have their uses. And while OLED is wonderful, 48 is still bigger than I'd prefer unless it was going to be at couch distance. But again, preferences vary. I just thought they spent so much effort bringing this panel to life that simply using the very same thing but cutting it 25% taller would have been an easy 2 fer win. And then that AUO VA 43" panel would have had some competition.

Unfortunately the 40" size seems pretty much dead as TVs start at a minimum of 43" and monitors in 16:9 are mostly 32" at the largest, with some 43" models. 40" would be ideal for 4K on the desktop without scaling.

Has anyone tested the HMDI port to see if it will run at native resolution and at 60Hz at least? It should be HDMI 2.0 right since this is using the g-sync HDR chip? I think HDMI 1.4 can only do 3440x1440 at 60Hz.

Anyone try the supposed adaptive-sync support on the HDMI port?

upload_2020-1-17_11-29-9.png

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/n...sync-for-future-native-g-sync-module-screens/

Not sure if the new module has a fan (might be passively cooled) however in this model there is no fan

The 38gl950g, along with every other DP 1.4 G-Sync FPGA monitor, has a fan in it.

Has anyone found a color profile for this monitor? Its kind of funny that the others have one, but this doesn't (nor does it have a monitor driver, so you have to use generic PNP)

Has anyone found a color profile for this monitor? Its kind of funny that the others have one, but this doesn't (nor does it have a monitor driver, so you have to use generic PNP)

Without known factory calibration, renting a color management solution is recommended if you need the colors to match other workflows.

What is the contrast of this monitor like?

I went and had a look at my friends Acer predator X34 monitor and I although I liked the popping colors, the contrast of the monitor made it looked washed out.

I went home n fired up my XG438Q and immediatly thought I like the look of this VA panel more than that of my friends IPS.

What is the contrast of this monitor like?

I went and had a look at my friends Acer predator X34 monitor and I although I liked the popping colors, the contrast of the monitor made it looked washed out.

I went home n fired up my XG438Q and immediatly thought I like the look of this VA panel more than that of my friends IPS.

VA will always have a higher contrast than IPS. Where it loses out is smearing/ghosting and colour shift... both of which are very much evident on the XG438Q.

I already have an LG 34GK950F...it runs around $800 now. Is this monitor really $1800 (or is that over-inflated new-hotness high-demand pricing)? Did you guys actually pay that? (if u can find it in stock?)

I already have an LG 34GK950F...it runs around $800 now. Is this monitor really $1800 (or is that over-inflated new-hotness high-demand pricing)? Did you guys actually pay that? (if u can find it in stock?)

Its $1800 and not only is it the only gaming 38" monitor, its the only IPS Ultrawide with Gsync that can go over 120hz.

Its not good at everything but for someone who wants a good FPS monitor in a large format, I don't think it has any competition.

Its $1800 and not only is it the only gaming 38" monitor, its the only IPS Ultrawide with Gsync that can go over 120hz.

Its not good at everything but for someone who wants a good FPS monitor in a large format, I don't think it has any competition.

I'm just a little sticker shocked I guess. MSRP on the 34GK950F is $1200 and it's already marked down to $900 on LG's own website. I'd expect this to be $1500 or so, but I guess since it's the only game in town. It was on my list though for upgrading to later this year depending on how "Ampere" or "Big Navi" shape up, being we're still not seeing a 2160>60Hz ultrawide yet.

I see they're advertising "3-side virtually borderless" which IMO was a complete fabrication in regards to the 34GK950F. Sure it LOOKS borderless when it's powered off, but when the image is actually displayed it doesn't get anywhere near the edge of the bezel. Can anyone comment there?

I'm just a little sticker shocked I guess. MSRP on the 34GK950F is $1200 and it's already marked down to $900 on LG's own website. I'd expect this to be $1500 or so, but I guess since it's the only game in town. It was on my list though for upgrading to later this year depending on how "Ampere" or "Big Navi" shape up, being we're still not seeing a 2160>60Hz ultrawide yet.

We already have several pages agreeing that it is overpriced for what it is. Compared to the 60 Hz 38" 3840x1600 as well as the 34" models.

There's cheaper Freesync 2 versions of it coming later this year that should perform about the same but with more input options, maybe a PbP mode on the "business" version. Purely for gaming the G-Sync version that is out now will most likely be the best one but at a ridiculous cost, especially in Europe.

I see they're advertising "3-side virtually borderless" which IMO was a complete fabrication in regards to the 34GK950F. Sure it LOOKS borderless when it's powered off, but when the image is actually displayed it doesn't get anywhere near the edge of the bezel. Can anyone comment there?

The Acer version is going to be $2399
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1529...-a-38inch-curved-monitor-w-uwqhd-175-hz-gsync

MSI has a Freesync version on the way as well, no pricing info yet.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1541...qr-375inch-hdr600-144-hz-curved-monitor-w-vrr

I think that once at least one of these competing models drop, there is going to be pressure to lower the prices - not much at first, but it will happen.

The Acer version is going to be $2399
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1529...-a-38inch-curved-monitor-w-uwqhd-175-hz-gsync

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1541...qr-375inch-hdr600-144-hz-curved-monitor-w-vrr

I think that once at least one of these competing models drop, there is going to be pressure to lower the prices - not much at first, but it will happen.

With the MSI slated for Q3 or Q4 release does not bode well for the LG models either. That to me is way too late, at that point you should be able to buy the G-Sync model for a reasonable price.

Jesus H, look at the glow/bleed on the MSI... what a joke!

I wouldn't expect prices to drop that much... 34" UW monitors held a hefty premium for some time, and even now the high end models are hardly cheap, not in most regions anyway. The premium on these is going to stick for the foreseeable... and all the while a 48" OLED will be available for less. That's the way I'll be going for sure, and I don't know why anyone would even consider LCD at this price point now. I'll take the burn-in risk over these bleed/glow ridden overpriced monstrosities any day!

I wouldn't expect prices to drop that much... 34" UW monitors held a hefty premium for some time, and even now the high end models are hardly cheap, not in most regions anyway. The premium on these is going to stick for the foreseeable... and all the while a 48" OLED will be available for less. That's the way I'll be going for sure, and I don't know why anyone would even consider LCD at this price point now. I'll take the burn-in risk over these bleed/glow ridden overpriced monstrosities any day!

I'm hoping the 21:9 aspect keeps growing, it's so satisfying watching movies on it. I usually preview on the PC and then stream it up to the 55" OLED in the living room. Where I have to see disappointing black bars.

I don't want a 48" behemoth on my desk. It's a stupid size and it's flat and has a low refresh rate (120Hz is low). I get that people love OLEDs, people love Golden Retrievers too, but not everyone has the room or wants to put up with them.

upload_2020-1-21_12-13-2.png

And this is what it would look like on my desk vs my current setup:

upload_2020-1-21_12-27-4.png

Way too tall.
Messes up my speaker placement.
Gives me neck pain.
Low FOV
Low FPS
Reflects the lights from my ceiling fan.

Also, OLED looks weird.

38" is so much more comfortable. I have learned today that for where I live, this monitor will only become available in July (and that's not a fact). Honestly, I'd buy it now if I could. The production run into some troubles and the supplies are limited. Only goes to lucrative markets.

I'll say that I'm not terribly interested in using a display as tall as 48" diagonal in 16:9 will be, but I'm also not sold on the wider 21:9 and 32:9 aspect ratios for combined desktop and gaming use versus using multiple displays.

I realize that this depends heavily on the work and content expected

I don't want a 48" behemoth on my desk. It's a stupid size and it's flat and has a low refresh rate (120Hz is low). I get that people love OLEDs, people love Golden Retrievers too, but not everyone has the room or wants to put up with them.

View attachment 217342

And this is what it would look like on my desk vs my current setup:

View attachment 217343

Way too tall.
Messes up my speaker placement.
Gives me neck pain.
Low FOV
Low FPS
Reflects the lights from my ceiling fan.

Also, OLED looks weird.

I don't disagree entirely with where you're coming from... 48" is rather big, but the problem with these 38" will be QC, bleed and glow... I've torn my hair out trying to find a monitor that doesn't suffer with SOME obvious fault or another the past year or so (such that it impacts my usability of it), and the only display I've been happy with has been my 55" OLED. I can't fault it, and hooking up my PC and running apps, games etc. is a delight. 120Hz is more than enough unless you play fast shooters... the difference isn't going to be that noticeable, and the motion clarity of OLED comes into its own. Of course it's not for everyone, but it makes mincemeat out of LCD in almost every way.

All that aside though, the point is THE PRICE... if these 38" monitors were priced sensibly, it would be hard to ignore them. But they're not... you'll almost be able to get two OLEDS for the price of one of these in some countries, and that is just absolutely insane.

I refuse to play this monitor game out of principle alone, as there is zero justification for these price-tags... and people arguing that there's nothing else like it is categorically NOT an argument. That's just self-justification because they want it so bad... doesn't mean there's any sense to it, because there isn't.

All that aside though, the point is THE PRICE... if these 38" monitors were priced sensibly, it would be hard to ignore them. But they're not... you'll almost be able to get two OLEDS for the price of one of these in some countries, and that is just absolutely insane.

I refuse to play this monitor game out of principle alone, as there is zero justification for these price-tags... and people arguing that there's nothing else like it is categorically NOT an argument. That's just self-justification because they want it so bad... doesn't mean there's any sense to it, because there isn't.

I don't have any quarrel with how they are priced and fundamentally, I don't believe in "priced sensibly" - I believe in whatever the market will bear.

These seem to be made in limited quantities and they seem to be selling through with people sometimes having to wait to get one:

upload_2020-1-21_19-52-59.png

That tells me that they are probably priced about right.

That Acer price makes zero sense. Its identical specs in every way with the same panel and G-Sync chip in it as the LG, but for $600 more? I think that is an error or will change come release.

Yeah, Acer is obnoxious and probably just trying to inflate the listing price so they can constantly sell it at a "reduced price".

I'm happy enough with my PG279s, if these look about the same but bigger, I think I'll get one.

I don't have any quarrel with how they are priced and fundamentally, I don't believe in "priced sensibly" - I believe in whatever the market will bear.

These seem to be made in limited quantities and they seem to be selling through with people sometimes having to wait to get one:

That tells me that they are probably priced about right.

You can objectively look at the specification, features and known technological issues of any item, and compare this to something else... then look at the price of each. And you can do this two ways... with a 38" 60/75Hz monitor featuring a not entirely dissimilar panel at a quarter of the price, and also with a 48" OLED at nearly half the price and spec which destroys it, save for a few extra Hz which won't matter. This exercise makes for some head scratching, and I'm not the only one saying so... just look at the excitement surround LG's 48" OLED and how many people are looking forward to never having to buy an LCD monitor again.

Of course, the inclusion of the G-Sync module adds a big chunk to the price here, and we'll probably see the Freesync version somewhat cheap when it lands.

Worth pointing out btw, in the UK, this is £1800 ($2350) and I've seen it for more in the EU and elsewhere. It's probably the cheapest of anywhere in the US, and at that price, you are actually not so wrong in what you say.

Last edited:
You can objectively look at the specification, features and known technological issues of any item, and compare this to something else... then look at the price of each. And you can do this two ways... with a 38" 60/75Hz monitor featuring a not entirely dissimilar panel at a quarter of the price, and also with a 48" OLED at nearly half the price and spec which destroys it, save for a few extra Hz which won't matter. This exercise makes for some head scratching, and I'm not the only one saying so... just look at the excitement surround LG's 48" OLED and how many people are looking forward to never having to buy an LCD monitor again.

Of course, the inclusion of the G-Sync module adds a big chunk to the price here, and we'll probably see the Freesync version somewhat cheap when it lands.

Worth pointing out btw, in the UK, this is £1800 ($2350) and I've seen it for more in the EU and elsewhere. It's probably the cheapest of anywhere in the US, and at that price, you are actually not so wrong in what you say.

Exactly. Here in Finland the 38GL950G sells for 2500 euros with only one shop selling it for 2000 euros which is about the price in rest of EU. The LG 60 Hz version is about 1250 euros. That's quite a price discrepancy for a monitor where the only thing it does better is high refresh rate and G-Sync. It doesn't even have a PbP mode like it's "business" equivalent. For comparison, the 55" LG C9 costs 1500 euros, even less during end of year sales.

I'm tired of all the "why don't you just buy the 48" OLED" posts because they reduce discussion about the monitor the thread is about but with the display market being the way it is, it's hard to feel anything else is worth buying this year. If you want anything above 27" 16:9/34" UW with high refresh rate your options are severely limited:

• 43" 4K Asus and Acer models. Good resolution/size, great PbP features but BGR subpixels, subpar HDR and VA panel response time issues.
  • 38" LG panel based models. Great size/resolution/refresh rate combo, perfect for high end gaming. But most of them are coming Q3 and Q4 if even then. No HDR to speak of. Low contrast ratio. IPS glow. PbP maybe on the Freesync models.
  • Samsung CRG9 and Odyssey G9. Super ultrawide, very good image quality for SDR, good PbP mode. VA panel response time issues and subpar HDR. Still only 1440 px vertical resolution.
  • 55+" OLED TVs. Great image quality, motion response and HDR. Very large and not curved. Burn-in possibility. HDMI 2.1 GPU required for 4K @ 120 Hz. No PbP features.
  • The upcoming LG 48". As above but borderline desktop acceptable size. HDMI 2.1 GPU required for 4K @ 120 Hz @ RGB color (4:2:0 8-bit 120 Hz should work on these).

That's quite a price discrepancy for a monitor where the only thing it does better is high refresh rate and G-Sync.

Not picking on you specifically, but really there isn't a good 'price' for high-refresh and VRR (let alone a dedicated G-Sync module). It's easy to forget, as ubiquitous as these technologies have become, the game changers that they are -- and what it's like to do without.

A 60Hz non-VRR panel of that size would be just fine for many uses, but for gaming, it's hard to go back and worth quite a bit to ensure that the proper functionality is available ;)

Havent updated sig in a while, but what do you gamer / casual movie guys think of this?

I run the Dell AW3418DW with a 2080Ti right now. Dont play much these days and get close to the 120hz in most games but seems like the colors are kind of faded/dull/washed out on the dell? (Bought it when it was first released)

Is this LG a worthwhile upgrade?

Havent updated sig in a while, but what do you gamer / casual movie guys think of this?

I run the Dell AW3418DW with a 2080Ti right now. Dont play much these days and get close to the 120hz in most games but seems like the colors are kind of faded/dull/washed out on the dell? (Bought it when it was first released)

Sounds like typical IPS to me... but you'd have to compare to another IPS monitor to really say. This LG is also IPS, but does have their Nano IPS coating which supposedly helps with colour. I wouldn't say you'd see a massive difference between these two monitors though, unless yours is faulty for some reason.

Also, I'm not sure what lighting conditions you're gaming in, but IPS is not great in low light... that will definitely expose its flaws far more easily, namely low contrast and panel bleed/glow.

Some Chinese review said that it has pretty low 900:1 contrast ratio. I would wait until TFTCentral releases their review, they just tweeted that they have received one of these from LG.

As with all LCDs, it's a pick your poison type situation. Do you take the higher contrast ratio of VA panels at the expense of more motion blur or do you suffer from low contrast ratio and IPS glow but better motion clarity. Or viewing angle issues and even lower contrast of TN panels but even better response time. Or have all the good stuff in an OLED but deal with a very large 4K display and possible burn-in.

LG 38GL950G review:

Display manufacturers really should not be allowed to advertise 1ms response times when they are reachable only with massive overshoot. If every monitor is supposedly 1ms then there is no good way to actually compare without professional reviews. Likewise refresh rates should not be advertised for things that require chroma subsampling.

A roughly 3ms G2G, 160 Hz full RGB IPS is still a great result as that puts it into a category where it performs a lot like good TN monitors! The contrast ratio is pretty miserable though and basically not much better than my 2014 8-bit TN ASUS PG278Q.

To me the disappointing aspect of this monitor is that there are no features to add extra value to make the pricing more palpatable. On a large monitor like this I would like to see a PbP option but no G-Sync monitor to date supports it. Likewise ULMB support would have been very welcome as it would give you more options to choose from.

The upcoming Freesync 2 models will most likely feature at least PbP mode and better pricing but maybe at slightly higher motion blur at lower framerates due to the lack of variable overdrive.

Last edited:
Dang that is a quick IPS. Can't wait to try mine out.

Edit: Not even TN panels reach 1ms G2G average, the marketing has been lame for decades.

Of course he didn't mention the vignette effect caused by back light bleeding at the top and bottom of the screen.

They're all useless.

Edit: I was wrong. He did mention it at 17:18. I just missed it while skipping around because the video is longer than Lawrence of Arabia.

Last edited:
Of course he didn't mention the vignette effect caused by back light bleeding at the top and bottom of the screen.

They're all useless.

Did you even watch the video? 17:18 he mentions a noticeable vignette effect that's noticeable even during normal usage.

Did you even watch the video? 17:18 he mentions a noticeable vignette effect that's noticeable even during normal usage.
Well, then this monitor is a no go. I was hoping that vignetting was not present on every unit. But looks like it is. Another gaming monitor that turned out to be a flop... 48" OLED here I come.

Back