LG 38GL950G - 37.5" 3840x1600/G-Sync/175Hz

Hey guys. Just set up my monitor but have a few questions. I've never had a second monitor from a laptop. I have the LG mirroring the Razer but when I change the LG to the native resolution my Razer is a quarterish display with tiny text. Is that normal? Are there any setting I should know about?
Thanks.

20191229_135916.jpg

How do I get the two displays to keep their native resolutions? The LG is displaying correctly but not the Razer.

Don't use mirroring. Use the extend displays option. Otherwise it will track resolution etc based on or the other.

So when the Razer goes to sleep I cant wake it up. Both screens are black.

Figured it out. But man this is taking all my brain power (which isnt much)

Last edited:
Sorry for all the questions guys......

I cant figure out how to change the refresh rate on the monitor....If I go into the overclock menu and turn it on the laptop loses the ability to see the second monitor.

figured it out. LOL

Last edited:
Looks great. I love this monitor, especially coming from a Sansung Tv that I was using. Tomorrow is cable management day.

Oh..monitor detects GSync.

After screwing around with this monitor for a week, its Achilles heel does seem to be that they all seem to have backlight bleed that makes the very top and bottom of the monitor slightly darker than the rest of it. It's almost like a really subtle vignette effect.

And I'm sure plenty of idiots will say "Oh no mine's perfect" even though none of them are. I've already seen multiple people confirm it (with pictures).

Buyer beware.

I'm actually considering returning mine because of this. It's pretty fucking annoying when you're doing graphics work.

lgwhitescreen.jpg

I haven't yet seen anything wrong with my panel. I bought it at B&H here in NYC. Makes me feel good if I have to do a return

After screwing around with this monitor for a week, its Achilles heel does seem to be that they all seem to have backlight bleed that makes the very top and bottom of the monitor slightly darker than the rest of it. It's almost like a really subtle vignette effect.

And I'm sure plenty of idiots will say "Oh no mine's perfect" even though none of them are. I've already seen multiple people confirm it (with pictures).

Buyer beware.

I'm actually considering returning mine because of this. It's pretty fucking annoying when you're doing graphics work.

View attachment 211737

It wouldn't bother me for gaming, but it would bother me that it's $1800

It wouldn't bother me for gaming, but it would bother me that it's $1800

It's irritating even when gaming honestly because many games have bright/light sky boxes if it's day time in the game, and when you're moving around fast in a FPS or something the vignette effect is actually pretty visible against it.

Buyer beware.

View attachment 211737
What brightness settings do you have your monitor set at?

I’ve had numerous ips monitors now and all have exhibited this around the borders, some worse than others.

The 2 monitors I had to return all had this effect similar to yours. Now I’m not saying my replacements do not have it however mine are less than the pictures you posted.

I’ve played numerous games with light blue skies, worked on projects with a pure white backdrop and I barely notice it. Also, my eyes are extremely sensitive and can spot the smallest abnormality with anything especially monitors.

Maybe try and arrange for a replacement and see if it is reduced. When you are browsing either File Explorer or using Safari/Chrome when you open multiple tabs , do you see this shadow or the tabs are slightly darker than the rest of the screen?

What brightness settings do you have your monitor set at?

I’ve had numerous ips monitors now and all have exhibited this around the borders, some worse than others.

The 2 monitors I had to return all had this effect similar to yours. Now I’m not saying my replacements do not have it however mine are less than the pictures you posted.

I’ve played numerous games with light blue skies, worked on projects with a pure white backdrop and I barely notice it. Also, my eyes are extremely sensitive and can spot the smallest abnormality with anything especially monitors.

Maybe try and arrange for a replacement and see if it is reduced. When you are browsing either File Explorer or using Safari/Chrome when you open multiple tabs , do you see this shadow or the tabs are slightly darker than the rest of the screen?

That screenshot isn't my monitor but a friend's. It's similar to mine. Multiple people on Reddit noticed it. I don't think it's an isolated problem. Basically, if I pump the brightness up to pretty high levels (like 85), the effect becomes more subtle, but it's pretty glaring at like 50 or lower.

I can notice it tabs at the top of the screen or Windows Explorer.

That screenshot isn't my monitor but a friend's. It's similar to mine. Multiple people on Reddit noticed it. I don't think it's an isolated problem. Basically, if I pump the brightness up to pretty high levels (like 85), the effect becomes more subtle, but it's pretty glaring at like 50 or lower.

I can notice it tabs at the top of the screen or Windows Explorer.
Damn that’s not good. I have my brightness set to 40 and the ips glow is barely visible.

I do not see any glow in open tabs of Firefox or Windows Explorer.

Maybe try and arrange for a replacement possibly from a different shop?

Damn that’s not good. I have my brightness set to 40 and the ips glow is barely visible.

I do not see any glow in open tabs of Firefox or Windows Explorer.

Maybe try and arrange for a replacement possibly from a different shop?

If I take it back it's probably going to be a return, because too many people noticed the same thing. I think it's unlikely that I'm going to get one that's any better and I'd just be opening myself up to get one with dead pixels.

I'm pretty skeptical when people say "I don't have the problem." People said that they didn't see artifacting on that ELMB monitor either, and--big surprise--after the dust settles people basically admit that it was a problem. Also, in the LinusTechTips video on this one, when he's showing off the monitor on a bright screen, you could see the vignette effect there too. You know LG sent Linus a cherry picked monitor. It's not getting any better than that. For all we know, this problem is why the monitor was delayed so long.

I bet this LG model is just going to be this way.

If I take it back it's probably going to be a return, because too many people noticed the same thing. I think it's unlikely that I'm going to get one that's any better and I'd just be opening myself up to get one with dead pixels.

I'm pretty skeptical when people say "I don't have the problem." People said that they didn't see artifacting on that ELMB monitor either, and--big surprise--after the dust settles people basically admit that it was a problem. Also, in the LinusTechTips video on this one, when he's showing off the monitor on a bright screen, you could see the vignette effect there too. You know LG sent Linus a cherry picked monitor. It's not getting any better than that. For all we know, this problem is why the monitor was delayed so long.

I noticed what you're referring to one of the older 38" monitors from LG as well (38UC99). It didn't bother me that much, but for the price of this monitor, I wouldn't be happy with it either.

I feel like the uniformity of LCDs have gotten worse these days. And LG IPS panels still seem much better compared to others, I had a PG279Q (AU Optronics panel) that had a similar effect but it was basically across the entire screen. When scrolling through a web page the top 30-40% looked darker than the rest of the screen, was awful.

I can see where you are coming from. I went through 2 before I settled on my current ones. The original monitors had a combination of dead pixels and poor ips glow.

I’m not saying mine does not have the ips glow however it is no where near as prominent as the pics you posted.

As for LTT, I wouldn’t trust what he says. He seems to think the ASUS pg35vq is better than this LG considering the ASUS has va panel, fan noise and screen flickering. The only thing it has for it is hdr1000 if that is your thing.

I think the sooner we can get a 35”+ oled the better

Here's a shot of my screen. I'm super happy with it. It looks totally fine to me. There's a lot of light in this room so sometimes it looks like parts of the screen have light bleed but its really reflections.

20191230_105746.jpg
20191230_105820.jpg

It's irritating even when gaming honestly because many games have bright/light sky boxes if it's day time in the game, and when you're moving around fast in a FPS or something the vignette effect is actually pretty visible against it.
Alright man, there you go. There you fucking go... Stupid question though - are sure it is not color shift? Have you tried looking at it at the same angle as the curved corner?

Alright man, there you go. There you fucking go... Stupid question though - are sure it is not color shift? Have you tried looking at it at the same angle as the curved corner?
It's not colour shift, I have it on both my LG's however it is no where near as bad as the pictures bigbluefe posted.

It is reduced when the brightness is turned up however I run mine at 40 brightness and I can barely notice it especially viewing Windows Explorer or tabs in Safari.

I definitely do not see it in games and my eyes are sensitive and can pick up on the smallest abnormality with a screen.

As mentioned before, I have owned a couple ips panel monitors in the past and they all exhibited this, some worse than others. It is just a downside of ips design.

Personally, I would try a couple replacements first. I went through 2 before I was happy with my current ones and the originals were purchased from different stores hoping a different batch. One of my originals looked like light shining top down on a curtain it was that bad!

Unfortunately each panel type has its flaws. I find VA and IPS best for monitors or oled if your rich. I have IPS myself with Asus PG348Q. I was looking at this panel as upgrade.

Buyer beware.

View attachment 211737

Yeah mine has that too, it's definitely more noticable at lower brightness settings but it is quite bad. Not bad enough that I noticed before it was pointed out, but it's visible for sure.

I need to calibrate the screen to see what it's like at 'proper' settings, been meaning to bring a colormeter home but haven't been into the office for a couple of weeks.

I can see where you are coming from. I went through 2 before I settled on my current ones. The original monitors had a combination of dead pixels and poor ips glow.

I’m not saying mine does not have the ips glow however it is no where near as prominent as the pics you posted.

As for LTT, I wouldn’t trust what he says. He seems to think the ASUS pg35vq is better than this LG considering the ASUS has va panel, fan noise and screen flickering. The only thing it has for it is hdr1000 if that is your thing.

I think the sooner we can get a 35”+ oled the better

funny how LTT said in a newer video he actually changed the asus 35 back to the LG38 as it was better.

Last edited:
funny how LTT said in a newer video he actually changed the asus 35 back to the LG38 as it was better.
Did he??!

I’m not a subscriber to his YouTube channel however I might have to watch that video.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Yeah I saw that video that as well and went wow, really? Linus can be a bit squirrely though about things. Never know what he is going to do or say.

Yeah I saw that video that as well and went wow, really? Linus can be a bit squirrely though about things. Never know what he is going to do or say.

Can't stand that shill. He's just an actor that uses clickbait to advertise shit. Asus probably paid him off at the time.

Can't stand that shill. He's just an actor that uses clickbait to advertise shit. Asus probably paid him off at the time.
100% agree. All the problems made public with the pg35vq how can anyone overlook these and then recommend it?

I did have an odd problem with one of my monitors today, was using it all day and then the screen went dark (similar to the monitor going in to standby) however the led light ring at the rear was still glowing. Had to power cycle the monitor as the power button did not work and everything was ok.

I have disabled deep sleep however I did have the standby timer set for 4h but it did notify me earlier in the day and I used the scroll wheel (for the led light) to cancel the function. Not sure if this caused the monitor to enforce the 4h timer again.

Hey has anyone here used the Asus XG438Q aswell this LG 38" side-by-side?

I just want to know the difference in quality between these two and if I should sell my Asus for this LG or just wait it out for something else?

Very nice setup (and view !). I'm not sure I'm ready to invest that much money on a screen though

So why do some monitors like this one advertise as overclockable to 175Hz.

Why is it not released from factory at 175Hz if that's what the user can OC it to?

Is there some sort of image degredation or anything else at all that will negatively impact the performance or quality of the monitor if overclocked and that's the reason why they release it at the lower frequency and it is upto the user to OC it higher if they wish?

So why do some monitors like this one advertise as overclockable to 175Hz.

Why is it not released from factory at 175Hz if that's what the user can OC it to?

Is there some sort of image degredation or anything else at all that will negatively impact the performance or quality of the monitor if overclocked and that's the reason why they release it at the lower frequency and it is upto the user to OC it higher if they wish?

Often the overclock mode may require using chroma subsampling because DP 1.4 can't handle the bandwidth otherwise. For example this one does 160 Hz at RGB colors but needs the compressed (and visually worse) 4:2:2 for 175 Hz. So basically just run it at 160 Hz as that extra 15 is not going to give you any noticeable advantage.

I wonder, since the AUO 43" panels got such attention, if LG has given thought to releasing the 16:9 equivalent to this around the 40" mark, basically the same panel just more vertical. I have a different 38 now and do like it alot. Not surprised that this model is as good as it is. But 16:9's still have their uses. And while OLED is wonderful, 48 is still bigger than I'd prefer unless it was going to be at couch distance. But again, preferences vary. I just thought they spent so much effort bringing this panel to life that simply using the very same thing but cutting it 25% taller would have been an easy 2 fer win. And then that AUO VA 43" panel would have had some competition.

Back