LG 38GL950G - 37.5" 3840x1600/G-Sync/175Hz

Well I finally got it in the mail today. It's a pretty good monitor. This is finally the one to displace the ZR30W without really feeling like you're losing anything.

Well I finally got it in the mail today. It's a pretty good monitor. This is finally the one to displace the ZR30W without really feeling like you're losing anything.
You incomparably gaining, actually. I feel the envy. Post more of your impressions.
As to me, I won't be able to buy one before September, most likely.

You incomparably gaining, actually. I feel the envy. Post more of your impressions.
As to me, I won't be able to buy one before September, most likely.

The ZR30W is still slightly taller. Vertical real estate is important to me.

It's basically just a standard solid IPS monitor. I haven't found any dead pixels yet. I also think I won the panel lottery because I got one that has a pretty amazingly consistent backlight.

It has some headphone thing that creates a new audio device for you that I disabled.

Every time you turn it on, the RGB lights in the background cycle through some pattern. I would have preferred no RGB lights at all.

Input lag feels low, and motion clarity is solid for an IPS display (actually less blurry than most TN panels I've used, which is impressive).

Solid all around monitor. Assuming it doesn't break, I probably won't be upgrading until MicroLED is a thing.

You're not helping my savings account feel safe there, bigbluefe :D

I have the feeling that the price on it is going to drop pretty hard in the next 3 months. It's too expensive for what it is.

This monitor is basically like what a NORMAL average priced monitor should be in 2019. You basically have to pay a premium for the barebones shit you'd expect.

I think within 6 months various things will make the price drop. For myself I think I'll wait for the nvidia 3080Ti to release, which is supposedly in June, before I buy a new monitor. I got a feeling I'll be needing to upgrade my 1080Ti for a monitor like this.

I have the feeling that the price on it is going to drop pretty hard in the next 3 months. It's too expensive for what it is.

This monitor is basically like what a NORMAL average priced monitor should be in 2019. You basically have to pay a premium for the barebones shit you'd expect.
This is how the computer monitors industry currently works, unfortunately. Probably, they have to compensate for low volume market they are in. This is the only excuse I have for them. How many people will buy this monitor? Really, a handful around the globe. Unlike some TV panels, that are sold by thousands in every more or less major city. Plus, Gsync module adds about $500 to the lot. Basically for the same reason of the low market volume and the cost of production. Probably Huang himself solders chips for those on weekends.

I think within 6 months various things will make the price drop. For myself I think I'll wait for the nvidia 3080Ti to release, which is supposedly in June, before I buy a new monitor. I got a feeling I'll be needing to upgrade my 1080Ti for a monitor like this.
For sure, 1080Ti won't cut it.

I have a 1080Ti and it doesn’t cut it. I get around 60fps playing satisfactory. It’s fine, but moar power.

No point getting a 2080 Ti at this point. Hopefully they’ll do the Titan Ampere first and I’ll get that.

I have a 1080Ti and it doesn’t cut it. I get around 60fps playing satisfactory. It’s fine, but moar power.

No point getting a 2080 Ti at this point. Hopefully they’ll do the Titan Ampere first and I’ll get that.

As sad as it is, I don't think it's going to be until the generation after the 3080ti that 4k 144hz gaming is truly a thing. Even the a 3080ti probably won't be quite there. We're a ways off. Display resolutions and refresh rates are sadly way ahead of GPUs at least when playing modern games.

Although I just end up playing Quake 3 anyway so basically anything decent is enough to drive it.

As sad as it is, I don't think it's going to be until the generation after the 3080ti that 4k 144hz gaming is truly a thing. Even the a 3080ti probably won't be quite there. We're a ways off. Display resolutions and refresh rates are sadly way ahead of GPUs at least when playing modern games.

Although I just end up playing Quake 3 anyway so basically anything decent is enough to drive it.

I think it's going to be longer than that because the release of new consoles should raise the baseline for system requirements with the next generation of games. While many people can get away with a 1080 Ti at 4k for today's games, the next generation of games will demand much more.

Native 4K is becoming a thing of the past anyway as more and more games need to apply reconstruction, image sharpening etc techniques to retain performance especially if raytracing is a factor. I'd also say that running at slightly lower res with DLSS, image sharpening etc does not make a huge difference in fidelity once you are past 1440p.

But I still want 4K 120+ Hz simply because it feels more responsive when you can actually run at those framerates as well as on the desktop. I want larger 5K x 2K ultrawides, not yet another 27" screen damn it! The display industry is incredibly good at not making the things enthusiasts want and when they do (like the LG in this thread) they mess it up somehow, in this case with pricing.

As sad as it is, I don't think it's going to be until the generation after the 3080ti that 4k 144hz gaming is truly a thing

That’s fine, can’t drive the refresh on this screen anyway :D

In all seriousness though, I’m comfortable that I won’t be getting another screen for 3-4 years. CES this year won’t have much of anything, 2021 the micro led will start coming through and Displayport 2 will unlock some restrictions, then the stuff actually comes out that would drive an upgrade but it’d be tail end of 2022 till I can get those at the least. So my next GPU upgrade will probably carry me till that.

In the middle of that period I’ll probably get an 8k oled that will bury any monitor I can get for the next 5 years for big screen gaming and HDR.

My rough plan for my home pc is to just get a 3960x, Next Gen Titan and call it quits.

As an aside, I played DCS 2.5 on the screen last night. Holy fucking shit. It looked insane. Ultrawide ftw.

2021 the micro led will start coming through

Lol, look at the optimistic. Any microLED in 2021 will be 75" or larger, and cost $10K+. The first reasonably commercialized, buyable OLEDs(not prototypes) came out in 2012, and we're still looking for a reasonably sized monitor implementation 7 years later. And OLED manufacturing doesn't even have the size restrictions microLED has.

Lol, look at the optimistic. Any microLED in 2021 will be 75" or larger, and cost $10K+. The first reasonably commercialized, buyable OLEDs(not prototypes) came out in 2012, and we're still looking for a reasonably sized monitor implementation 7 years later. And OLED manufacturing doesn't even have the size restrictions microLED has.

Yeah my bad, meant mini.

I know there's a few but in 18 months I expect they'll start becoming a lot more common, and ideally they'll double the number of zones at some point in there.

I would agree a single GPU to drive 4k at 120Hz+ is still a ways off but I figure I need to start with at least a 3080Ti for it. And since we're talking 6 or 7 months I can wait. I'm hoping AMD does truly challenge nvidia at the high end next year like Lisa Su said. Maybe it'll spark some better innovation out of nvidia and keep prices from getting more stupid than they already are. Not holding my breath though.

Is anyone having dead pixels on their screens?

I’m on my second replacement from a different shop and when I first checked there were no dead pixels. Once I adjusted the settings (144hz/8 bit/ rgb) and ran a dead pixel check online a dead pixel appeared in the left hand side of the screen.

Not sure if I should be using a dead pixel checker so soon or maybe use the monitor for a few hours then check?

Considering the price we pay it is annoying

Is anyone having dead pixels on their screens?

I’m on my second replacement from a different shop and when I first checked there were no dead pixels. Once I adjusted the settings (144hz/8 bit/ rgb) and ran a dead pixel check online a dead pixel appeared in the left hand side of the screen.

Not sure if I should be using a dead pixel checker so soon or maybe use the monitor for a few hours then check?

Considering the price we pay it is annoying

No, none are dead or stuck., though looking at the white screen test made my eyes go funny. It's also super hard to clean I've now learned.

Anyway, I've been there so it is super annoying, if it's off to the side and dead rather than stuck I'd say just ignore it but make sure you don't start getting more within the first 90 days. If it's stuck just send it back. It comes down to how tolerant you are really, as I say, been there. I took one of the large UK retailers to court over it years ago, they tried to argue that it was within acceptable parameters but thankfully UK consumer law for remote sales is super strong and I just argued that I'm allowed to reject it as not fit for purpose for any reason. I did graphics stuff, so it wasn't fit. I won, plus had a little giggle because a lawyer friend went with me, we had a very good night with the 'costs'

Anyway, I digress, I've found LG support to be pretty decent, you could try giving them a call. If you don't mind sitting on the phone to a consumer electronics call centre over during the holiday period. Don't try and argue it as a warranty thing as their ass is covered with that so just be friendly and see about 'decent human being' as a tactic. Followed by "I'm going to go and post all my online reviews" if they're being difficult. An $1800 monitor should have zero flaws, but we've had it even with Eizo's (yes more than 1) at twice the price of this, bright you can do something, dead is a crap shoot of support.

Also your credit card might have some form of insurance if you bought it on that.

The thing is, the G-Sync version is going to be better because of variable overdrive. Once you're spending over a grand for a monitor, I'm not quibbling over a couple hundred bucks here and there.
I am. Also, unlike a lot of folks in this thread, I’m just not sure that I want to lock myself into Nvidia for the next several years. I’d like to have AMD flexibility, and that would render G-Sync useless.
I don’t think enough people give this credit. Is everyone really primarily playing bleeding edge, AAA titles? I think someone mentioned mostly being interested in emulation earlier? If we’re honest with ourselves in how many old titles we naturally play, I think the monitor’s refresh rate justify’s itself.

Also keep in mind that this display has 560 lines less than full UHD 4K. That’s more pixels than a 1080p display. This monitor is over 25% easier to drive than 4K.
I want larger 5K x 2K ultrawides, not yet another 27" screen damn it!
You and I are dissenters, marked mad by our fellow man. They’ve decided that 27” 1440p is the resolution/PPI of the gods. We who crave text even a smidge clearer than our 15 year old 30”s be left to rot…

Sounds like you got a good panel.

I have spoken to both stores and they are willing to either replace or refund. I am in two frames of mind to purchase 2 from the same store and hopefully 1 is good.

It just seemed odd that the one I received yesterday, not long after I did the dead pixel test that the dead pixel decided to appear. Was literally 10 minutes in to using the monitor.

I am thinking maybe I shouldn't do a dead pixel check immediately and use it for the first few hours then check. Possibly give everything time to settle in. Seems odd however both LG's I have purchased had a dead pixel appear not long after doing the test

The dead pixel test doesn’t do anything but test the sub pixels. Or more accurately it lights them up one at a time so you can see which ones have the problems. Delaying isn’t going to make it less likely to happen.

Failures are far more likely to manifest in the first week anyway. It’s just correlation, not causation. A game would have done the same thing.

The dead pixel test doesn’t do anything but test the sub pixels. Or more accurately it lights them up one at a time so you can see which ones have the problems. Delaying isn’t going to make it less likely to happen.

Failures are far more likely to manifest in the first week anyway. It’s just correlation, not causation. A game would have done the same thing.
I guess I’ll just keep trying to get the perfect panel.
I seem to have the worst luck with monitors

I would keep trying till you get a perfect monitor. Dont settle for anything less at this price point. Reminds me I am off to run dead pixel buddy on mine

I would keep trying till you get a perfect monitor. Dont settle for anything less at this price point. Reminds me I am off to run dead pixel buddy on mine
I agree. At this price point you would expect it to be near perfect.

Let us know how you go with the pixel checking. What Hz are you running?

Yeah my bad, meant mini.

I know there's a few but in 18 months I expect they'll start becoming a lot more common, and ideally they'll double the number of zones at some point in there.

Oh, miniled panels are already being manufactured, and you can even buy one(60hz).

Main problem is that all of the "really complicated backlight" LCD solutions are probably going to be $2000+ at release. But I think we expect to see a couple high refresh rate options in 2020, at least the PA32UCG should come out at some point.

Would be nice for some decent driver support for the monitor... it goes into HDR mode, but cant select 10 bit from nvidia settings (yet I can choose 10 bit for my 38WK95C HDR panel), and it only registers as a Generic PnP display. Other than that, its awesome. Games look wonderful, and its early in the monitor's lifetime, so we'll see what they do..

Also no pixels out on mine, minimal edge bleed at pure black.

Last edited:
QUESTIONS...

I'm in need of some input (see what I did there)? about the inputs on the monitor. I have a Razer Advanced 17 inch pro laptop and a 2019 MacBook Pro. Both of these laptops have Thunderbolt 3. I'm confused about the different type of connections and what type of signal I get from them. I was planning on getting a Thunderbolt hub but want to hear what you guys have to say.

So...whats my best hookup for the highest resolution.

Thanks!

Last edited:
QUESTIONS...

I'm in need of some input (see what I did there)? about the inputs on the monitor. I have a Razer Advanced 17 inch pro laptop and a 2019 MacBook Pro. Both of these laptops have Thunderbolt 3. I'm confused about the different type of connections and what type of signal I get from them. I was planning on getting a Thunderbolt hub but want to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks!

You won't get Gsync but you might be able to get over 60Hz, assuming those machines can drive the pixels but you might just save some money and buy a different 38" monitor for half the price...

You won't get Gsync but you might be able to get over 60Hz, assuming those machines can drive the pixels but you might just save some money and buy a different 38" monitor for half the price...

Why would I not get Gsync? The Razer has a 2070 nvidia max q.

From the Razer website..

Have the Blade Pro 2019.
Ordered a usbc T3 to DP cable, G-Sync is working perfect on my external monito

Last edited:
QUESTIONS...

Thanks!

MBP uses AMD graphics so G-sync will not work there. I have an MBP 16" and it is DP 1.4 compatible, so shouldn't have any issues driving this refresh rate on the desktop. I don't know about the earlier 15" or current 13" models though.

MBP uses AMD graphics so G-sync will not work there. I have an MBP 16" and it is DP 1.4 compatible, so shouldn't have any issues driving this refresh rate on the desktop. I don't know about the earlier 15" or current 13" models though.
Thanks.. Yeah I was talking about the razer. My bad.

Just an update, picked up both new monitors Friday and so far no dead pixels and minimal light bleed/ips glow.

Both monitors set to 144hz/8 bit via Nvidia control panel. These panels are absolutely awesome.

Very happy with the replacements. I’ve got both side by side and the immersion from 1 let alone 2 is amazing. I’m actually considering keeping both

Are these monitors able to be mounted to a monitor arm? Also does any one have any recommendations for new DisplayPort cables? Due to the size I will have to get slightly longer lengths

You definitely can mount this to an arm. It's a standard 100x100 mount and weighs 16 pounds without the stand.

I've mounted it on a 100 x 100 vesa arm, and it works perfectly fine. (Actually I mounted it with 3 other LG monitors around it, all on 100 x 100 vesa wall mounts).

I've mounted it on a 100 x 100 vesa arm, and it works perfectly fine. (Actually I mounted it with 3 other LG monitors around it, all on 100 x 100 vesa wall mounts).
Nice!

I am still looking around for a decent monitor arm that can support 38" Ultrawides but not having much success. Some of the reviews of the ones I have found say the arms sag...

Thinking I might have to use 2 separate arms

Back