LG 38GL950G - 37.5" 3840x1600/G-Sync/175Hz

Edins

n00b
This was going to be released on 11/14 (11 days ago) but I can't find anything online. Not on YT, not on Reddit, not anywhere.
Im just hoping it comes before Christmas, but I don't think it will. LG has been having problems just keeping stock of the 27" version of these new panels. Also their 34" have been selling very well too where it goes out of stock temporarily on some sites. I think they will milk those for as long as they can.

DoubleTap

2[H]4U
The CRG9 is $1049 at Amazon right now.

I'm half thinking of running a CRG9 with a PG279QZ on a gas arm above it.

I could use the CRG 9 for wide FOV games and for work, then drop the 27" IPS down in front of it when I want a higher frame rate and less motion blur...

Shoooo. A reputable seller, too.

OK, who's going to bite?
I just folded like a cheap suit. I ended up splurging on the overnight shipping since there was no sales tax and it was less than $65. I'm seriously doubting it'll ship tomorrow, and even if it does it most likely won't arrive on Thanksgiving.

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
Just placed my order, guess we'll see what happens!
Exciting!

EvilHandsRubbing.gif

I just folded like a cheap suit. I ended up splurging on the overnight shipping since there was no sales tax and it was less than $65. I'm seriously doubting it'll ship tomorrow, and even if it does it most likely won't arrive on Thanksgiving.
Ah yeah, that always sucks when a holiday gets in the way. It could arrive on Friday if they ship tomorrow, which would be sweet since you'd have it in time for the weekend. If they don't ship tomorrow then it probably won't go out until Friday at the earliest. Depending on when it ends up arriving, you might want to push back on them and try to get a refund on the shipping. I guess technically they could take their sweet time shipping it and still send it out via overnight and meet that part of the commitment, so I guess we'll see what happens.

KiwiCanuck

n00b
I just ordered from amazon canada, not available till dec 10. Hope the date doesn't get pushed back, during the wait I hope to see positive reviews during the wait.

Last edited:

kasakka

[H]ard|Gawd
Here's a new video where someone goes through its features and setting it up. Very heavy accent so it's a bit tough to follow at times.

175 Hz setting seems to use chroma subsampling so it is going to be bad on the desktop. That said running this res at 144 Hz is already going to be its own struggle so it's not a big deal.

The preset switching seems better than on my Samsung CRG9, the one on the Samsung is pretty slow in comparison and has stupid limitations to what settings are stored.

It does not have a PbP option at all which for me is a big minus as the size and resolution would have been suited for that. I guess LG wants to reserve that for their "business" models since those have it. Obviously not a problem if you use multiple displays instead or are willing to switch between sources.

I really would like to see more convergence between "business" displays and "gaming" ones because high refresh rates are great on the desktop too while gamers would also enjoy large sizes, high resolutions and accurate colors and PbP options can be useful.

Reactions: dgz
like this

DoubleTap

2[H]4U
Here's a new video where someone goes through its features and setting it up. Very heavy accent so it's a bit tough to follow at times.

175 Hz setting seems to use chroma subsampling so it is going to be bad on the desktop. That said running this res at 144 Hz is already going to be its own struggle so it's not a big deal.

The preset switching seems better than on my Samsung CRG9, the one on the Samsung is pretty slow in comparison and has stupid limitations to what settings are stored.

It does not have a PbP option at all which for me is a big minus as the size and resolution would have been suited for that. I guess LG wants to reserve that for their "business" models since those have it. Obviously not a problem if you use multiple displays instead or are willing to switch between sources.

I really would like to see more convergence between "business" displays and "gaming" ones because high refresh rates are great on the desktop too while gamers would also enjoy large sizes, high resolutions and accurate colors and PbP options can be useful.
I just found that video and was about to post it - it's good to see them finally trickling in.

I think the lack of Pbp/Pip is most likely a limitation of the Gsync module. That's also the likely reason for just two inputs. That's enough for me and I'll always prefer a Gsync module, but having more inputs and input mixing is an advantage of using Freesync2

bananadude

Limp Gawd
Some pretty bad glow/bleed obvious in that video. Don't understand why people think this is acceptable in a monitor with such a high price tag. An LCD TV at a quarter of the price doesn't have this. I know pretty much every monitor does, but it ruins the experience in dark movies/games, even in a well lit room, and is totally unacceptable IMO, certainly at this price point.

The CRG9 is the only monitor I've seen (in person) that was actually very good in this regard, but had its own other issues, namely flickering and an awkward ratio that doesn't play well in a lot of games. Still, it wasn't bad overall and I can see why many people would like it. It's not the best screen for productivity either though, wayyyy too letter-boxed. This LG is actually much better in that regard, but 4K still wins out for productivity obviously... 38" is more of a gaming/casual work monitor... 4K for work/casual gaming.

Some pretty bad glow/bleed obvious in that video. Don't understand why people think this is acceptable in a monitor with such a high price tag. An LCD TV at a quarter of the price doesn't have this. I know pretty much every monitor does, but it ruins the experience in dark movies/games, even in a well lit room, and is totally unacceptable IMO, certainly at this price point.
Most likely it'll have some bleed like you mentioned since it's part and parcel of this type of panel, but I'll withhold judgment until I see it in person. The reviewer said he was cranking up the exposure on his camera to show it better, but it'll be hard to judge how bad it really is until it arrives.

Last edited:

bananadude

Limp Gawd
Most likely it'll have some bleed like you mentioned since it's part and parcel of this type of panel, but I'll withhold judgment until I see it in person. The reviewer said he was cranking up the exposure on his camera to show it better, but it'll be hard how bad it really is until it arrives.
Yes, mileage does vary with IPS... some are OK, some are horrendous. Very much a lottery with any monitor purchase these days. It's a big risk and huge frustration when buying though... I only buy monitors from Amazon personally, as they are the only retailer who won't charge for returns and accepts them without question. Such a potential costly headache otherwise.

Welp, holy shit it actually shipped today. Estimated delivery is Friday.

EDIT: Well, the label was created at least. Hopefully it actually goes out today.

DoubleTap

2[H]4U
If he upped his exposure and that's the BLB in a dark room then that is pretty minimal and I don't think it would bother me.

The AW3418 had basically the whole lower left quadrant bleeding so much light that you could see it in almost every situation - even with 35 brightness and a well lit room.

My center PG279 has no visible BLB and the left and right have a tiny amount in the outer corner, almost none at all.

bleomycin

Limp Gawd
Mine also shipped and fedex has it, won't be delivered until Wednesday the 4th. Cross country ground shipping is painful!

Murzilka

Gawd
I already bought Sony TA DAC instead of this monitor and now ordering a balanced Forza cable for my headphones. Money went there. So next time I will be able to buy this monitor is September 2020 at the earliest.
Just reporting in like in americain army...

Mine also shipped and fedex has it, won't be delivered until Wednesday the 4th. Cross country ground shipping is painful!
Damn, mine is still stuck in "Label Created" status since yesterday. Hopefully it will arrive on Saturday, but who knows at this point.

StryderxX

[H]ard|Gawd
So it's finally available. For the people that already ordered please post your thoughts on the monitor when you receive them.

shadow2761

Limp Gawd
Available for us aussies too, but I decided to wait for the Asus XG43UQ.

Almost certainly better in everyway!

bigbluefe

Gawd
People are starting to receive them.

Looks like it's got the typical ass IPS bleeding backlight.

bzEYnsp.jpg

In this case hemorrhaging would probably be a better word than bleeding. Seriously, fuck monitors. MicroLED cannot come soon enough.

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
OLED powered on and ready. Why wait for Micro LED? When will you people stop accepting less?

IMG_3544.JPG

x3sphere

2[H]4U
People are starting to receive them.

Looks like it's got the typical ass IPS bleeding backlight.

In this case hemorrhaging would probably be a better word than bleeding. Seriously, fuck monitors. MicroLED cannot come soon enough.
did you really expect this would be any different? Without a full array blacklight there's always going to be noticeable BLB.

Affordable MicroLED is probably 5 years away at minimum, and maybe longer since it certainly won't come to monitors first.

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
I'm not going to pretend that burn in isn't a problem. Backlight bleed is still better than that for computer monitors for the time being.
Lol

There’s no pretending, only paranoia. Enjoy your glow!

x3sphere

2[H]4U
I have an OLED going on 3 years old and no burn in that I can see. Granted, I only game on it, no desktop use - but plenty of the games I play have static on screen elements. Even if it did develop burn in at this point, I would just buy another. Almost can get 2 55" OLEDs for the price of this monitor.

I still think getting an OLED TV + a regular LCD for desktop use is the way to go if you have the space to accommodate it. And if you are in the market for a $1.8k display then that should fit in your budget. If you must stick with one display, then this looks like one of the better options right now however. The glow/BLB looks normal for any IPS display. I would buy it to replace my 34" if the price was more reasonable.

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
I have an OLED going on 3 years old and no burn in that I can see. Granted, I only game on it, no desktop use - but plenty of the games I play have static on screen elements. Even if it did develop burn in at this point, I would just buy another. Almost can get 2 55" OLEDs for the price of this monitor.
100% this...except 2 years of desktop use here. No burn-in. Wouldn’t ever go back to LCD. That pic above looks horrible.

Skott

2[H]4U
Personally at this stage of the game I think holding off for HDMI 2.1 on GPUs is the way to go before buying OLED and TVs. That's just my opinion though.

bananadude

Limp Gawd
HDMI 2.1 GPUs and LG's 48" OLED can't come soon enough... I'll buy a bigger desk if I have to, heck I'll knock down a wall! Crappy LCD can suck its d*ck then shove it where the sun don't shine. I'll finally be done with it and won't look back. Don't even care if I get burn in... anything is better than staring at LCD gutter trash all day.

I really have no idea what people are thinking paying this kind of price for an LCD monitor. This price tag could perhaps be worthy of a non-existent smear free HDR-1000, FALD, super high contrast ratio panel, free of all bleed and glow... but this thing? Ridiculous.

bananadude

Limp Gawd
48".... Yeah.

43" might not be too big. Maybe.
43" OLED isn't happening anytime soon, if ever... it COULD, but it's pure wishful thinking at this stage. It would be a minimum of 2-3 years out at the very least. We know for sure that 48" is due in 2020. It will be big, but if that's my biggest concern over all the issues LCD has, I'll take it.

delita

[H]ard|Gawd
43" OLED isn't happening anytime soon, if ever... it COULD, but it's pure wishful thinking at this stage. It would be a minimum of 2-3 years out at the very least. We know for sure that 48" is due in 2020. It will be big, but if that's my biggest concern over all the issues LCD has, I'll take it.
I'd bite on 48" and call it a day. Was really hoping to replace my 43" curved Samsung with a 43" curved OLED..........we'll see if that ever happens LOL, doubt it.

I was in the market for a 43" Acer/Asus or this LG to replace my 60hz Samsung, but after buying a C9 last month, fuck that. I won't buy a non OLED at this point. The difference is night and day and I can't stand to look at others screens, but ALAS, not using my 65 C9 for anything other than TV or console gaming because it's in the living room and huge.