LG 34WK650 HDR Monitor Reviewed

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We know a lot of folks are interested in HDR displays now as we have seen ASUS and ACER push out $2000 high hertz panels here lately. This is a very well done user review done over at Overclock.net by Jedson3614. It covers the LG 34WK650 that retails for $345, uses FreeSync, is IPS, and is capable of doing HDR10 specs. It does come in at 75Hz and has a 21:9 aspect ratio. Thanks cageymaru.

To wrap this article up, your probably wondering if you should wait or jump into the HDR market now. I would say that HDR still needs a bit of work on the software side of things but is definitely ready for content consumption. This particular panel from LG offers a nice set of premium features at a very reasonable cost. The fact that you get FreeSync, HDR, and 21:9 aspect ratio makes this an incredible deal.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm actually in the market for a new monitor but this one is not it. I will say that the price point is pretty decent for what you get but something in this dimension (for me) needs to be at least curved.

Last edited:
Panel is 6 bit + FRC

8 bit + FRC should be the absolute minimum. As you approach higher refresh rates, the FRC turns off on some monitors. This is especially true when strobbing the back light is involved.

Still considering the Samsungs as the cream of the FreeSync crop (FreeSync 2 HDR and LFC)

I really wanted one however, the resolution spec on these monitors is too low for me. In particular, I have a problem with the vertical resolution. I was at 1920X1200 and I wanted more. Unless I dished out about 1K and up I would have to go lower. I am primarily reading (Adobe Reader, Kindle Reader and writing code on VS Code / VIM.)

I went with the 27UK600W and a nice articulating arm.

2560 x 1080? Eww...

Agreed. This panel is great for a Costco holiday special, but it isn't quite up to spec for people who use computers daily. It doesn't really fit a niche, either - it would be great for a low-budget gaming rig, except that it costs too much for a low budget gaming rig.

It seems like LG is trying to fill every price point with an abundance of options.

Been waiting forever for a 21:9 3440x1440 144Hz panel ... or hell, an upgraded 32:9 5120x1440 144Hz panel from Samsung at this point. I can't believe we have had HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4 for so long and still no monitors. WTF is taking so long?

Panel is 6 bit + FRC

Wow, I didn't even think to check. I figured it would have been at least 8 bit + frc as you said. How are they getting away with marketing this as HDR10... I was under the impression that HDR10 required a minimum of 10bits with 8bit+frc being the minimum.

*Edit

Nevermind, the LG site calls it HDR10 "Compatible". Ugg these people...

HDR with a 6bit panel, 300 nits, IPS with no FALD?

Is this even HDR? or is it just overblowing the saturation? I can go into Nvidia control panel and crank up the 'digital vibrance' setting too, it's not special.

Wow, I didn't even think to check. I figured it would have been at least 8 bit + frc as you said. How are they getting away with marketing this as HDR10... I was under the impression that HDR10 required a minimum of 10bits with 8bit+frc being the minimum.

*Edit

Nevermind, the LG site calls it HDR10 "Compatible". Ugg these people...

I hate that "compatable" crap.

I am a multibillionaire! *

* Mord is certified to be comparable with being given craploads of money. Via tests in computer simulations. No digital naked molerats were injured in these simulations. **

** Well, not many.

HDR with a 6bit panel, 300 nits, IPS with no FALD?

Is this even HDR? or is it just overblowing the saturation? I can go into Nvidia control panel and crank up the 'digital vibrance' setting too, it's not special.

No it's not, it just supports it but doesn't have the hardware to actually display. Not surprised given the price though. I was really thrilled with the headline but once I saw the price, it was pretty clear it's a fake. Damn shame, I really am hoping for that size monitor with proper resolution and real HDR.

Last edited:
Been waiting forever for a 21:9 3440x1440 144Hz panel ... or hell, an upgraded 32:9 5120x1440 144Hz panel from Samsung at this point. I can't believe we have had HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4 for so long and still no monitors. WTF is taking so long?

HDMI 2.1 is not on the market, AT ALL, at this point. We have a standard, we don't have any shipping products.

HDMI 2.1 is not on the market, AT ALL, at this point. We have a standard, we don't have any shipping products.

You'll likely wait quite a bit longer. It takes a lot of horsepower to drive that many pixels at the bit depth, format, and refresh rate 2.1 supports.

...an upgraded 32:9 5120x1440 144Hz panel from Samsung...

Higher rez C49HG90 would be nice, especially if they kept it at the current 49" physical panel size; that would increase the pixel density, yes...?

Back