LG 34UC97 - Video Review

Interesting, but too expensive, and makes no sense for gaming because of input lag.

I hope the koreans make a bypassed version of this.

Where in the video did he mention input lag?

If the input lag for 34UC97 ends up being the same as 34UM95, then I see no reason to complain, especially since it beats pretty much all other multi-input monitors out there.

Unless you're in a world class competition against someone of equal skill, 1 frame of lag isn't going to make or break your match no matter how much you choose to blame it on factors other than yourself. But I guess everyone will keep buying 120+hz monitors thinking it's going to allofasudden keep them from sucking (lawl)

If the input lag for 34UC97 ends up being the same as 34UM95, then I see no reason to complain, especially since it beats pretty much all other multi-input monitors out there.

Unless you're in a world class competition against someone of equal skill, 1 frame of lag isn't going to make or break your match no matter how much you choose to blame it on factors other than yourself. But I guess everyone will keep buying 120+hz monitors thinking it's going to allofasudden keep them from sucking (lawl)

If I was willing to accept 1-2 frames of lag, I'd buy a 50" 4k Panasonic AX800 which is above and beyond this.

There is no reason not to have a bypassed version of the monitor in 2014, after the INCREDIBLE success of the korean monitors in the last 3 years.

So worse backlight bleed on the curve?

anyone else felt the curve was too subtle? looking at the video the curve isn't worth that much of a price increase. It was too subtle to make a significant improvement. Also no vesa mount or ability to get vesa compatibility is probably a deal killer for most. Not to mention how much the vesa mount kit is going to cost in addition to the monitor if and when you are even able to purchase the vesa mount kit.

Last edited:
Interesting, but too expensive..

Official pricing outside of Korea has not been announced yet, so how do you think it's too expensive?

Good to see his review so quickly.. US launch must be coming soon. Really sucks that his review sample had "noticeable backlight bleed in a all four corners" (9:19 in video).

Official pricing outside of Korea has not been announced yet, so how do you think it's too expensive?

Unless it's cheaper than the original (which is not), it's still too expensive.

This will go great with my pending workstation. Definitely keeping up with this.
Wasn't a fan of the original b/c of the stand, this is not a huge improvement but it looks more like the price their asking for it.

This will go great with my pending workstation. Definitely keeping up with this.
Wasn't a fan of the original b/c of the stand, this is not a huge improvement but it looks more like the price their asking for it.

The only reason to get the curved is for the curve and if it is worth the extra cost to you. the 34P non curved + ergotron MX/LX arm with vesa mount is still cheaper than the curved with its nonadjustable stand.

Unless it's cheaper than the original (which is not), it's still too expensive.

Comparatively, versus the UM95, I don't think the UC97 will be expensive. But yeah.. I do agree that overall, all the 34" ultrawides are incredibly overpriced for what they are.

Imo, the UM95 should really be $699 MSRP and dropping, $799 for UC97 and at least $100 less than those prices for both AOC variants.

^ same, x3sphere. I thought it was just me waiting for OLED and pretty much nothing else.

I almost got an OLED 1080p TV a few times, but I don't think I can go back to that low of a res without shooting myself

BH photo lists the LG34UC97S at $1299. about what I expected. not in stock yet though.

shiieett for $1300 with no vesa?? No man I'd rather wait for the 34UC87 or the Dell.

The 34UC87 was recently added to Amazon.de, so should be out around the same time as the UC97.

Price is higher, though. €1100 for the UC97, and €1250 for the UC87 (both are pre-orders shipped & sold by Amazon).

34UC97 $1300 USD now available in theory http://www.techpowerup.com/205875/l...ltrawide-monitor-now-available-in-the-us.html

bets on this totally replacing 34UM95 ?

It's been in-stock for $1300 at Newegg all day..

Very tempting, but I'm still waiting to see the pricing on the AOC U3477Pqu and LG 34UC87 (or for a healthy price drop on the UM95/94).

And dang.. I was pretty close on ETA and MSRP back in August :p

.. the 34UC97 could possibly be $1200 MSRP.

Have any other reviews confirmed the input lag is the same for the two LG? Would appreciate any additional links if someone can point that out.

Also anyone got any info or links to the Vesa kit for this?

Also anyone got any info or links to the Vesa kit for this?

I'm kinda wondering if the optional VESA bracket might actually be included with the US version. The product page states..

fdTFMcI.jpg

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC97-S-ultrawide-monitor

EDIT: No mention at all of a VESA adapter in the US manual or quick-start guide (I'm really not sure how it would even attach.. drill new holes? :D). The B&H pre-order page does state this in their description..

Once configured the monitor can be viewed from the included stand or attached to the wall via a 100 x 100 mm compatible VESA mount allowing you to take full advantage of the 178° horizontal and vertical viewing angles.

Last edited:
I don't see anywhere that it says that it has VESA mounts. I do like the curve but without these mounts, it's a deal killer for me. This new monitor does have a 4ms vs the 5ms on the 34um95. Depending on the reviews, I might get this as I only play the occasional game though. As long as it runs CS:S, I'm good. The rest of the time it's about productivity.

I'm hoping my eyes don't end up hurting as I had a 144hz monitor before and it was horrible for productivity. It was too bright even after calibration.

I don't see anywhere that it says that it has VESA mounts.

The Korean UC97 spec page says "Require a separate bracket (100 x 100 mm)" (translated)..
The US UC97 spec page says "VESA® Size (mm) 100 x 100"..

I've read through both the Korean & US manuals, and neither mention VESA mounting holes or an adapter bracket (and can't find an adapter sold separately anywhere). Just rewatched Linus' review, and one wasn't shown with the other accessories, nor were there any VESA holes anywhere on the backside.

Dunno? :confused:

[H]appymeal;1041136272 said:
Does this panel have hardware calibration like the 34um95?

Don't see any mention of such a feature anywhere.. just that it's factory calibrated.

EDIT: Wow. I'm really surprised this hasn't sold-out at Newegg yet.

Last edited:
Shoot its temping but its a $300 premium over the flat and vesa is still up in the air.
I sold two of my u2412m and waiting impatiently for the AOC or Dell to come out.

Don't see any mention of such a feature anywhere.. just that it's factory calibrated.

EDIT: Wow. I'm really surprised this hasn't sold-out at Newegg yet.

Thanks for double checking.

I won't consider buying until the price drops, hopefully for xmas. The technology is still too new (21:9 34inch, and curved). I'm expecting too many large advances in this category of monitors at this price point in the next few years: gsync, 90hz+, multi-input, better picture in picture (PiP, really undervalued). To spend this much money, I want it to be for a screen I'll hold onto for 5+ years (like I would a tv).

Last edited:
I'm looking to buy a new monitor as the last time I bought monitors was back in 2007 (I don't even have 1080p, old Samsung 220WM's). Using triple monitor eyefinity for productivity but I would love to rid myself of the bezels.

What's the refresh rate of this monitor? I think the 34UM95 is 60hz.

Contrast ratio on this is 1MM to 1 while I think the 34UM95 is 4MM to 1. Is this actually noticeable?

Dynamic contrast ratios are bogus, IPS have 500-1300:1 contrast ratios. The 34UM95's reviewed ranged from 800-1000:1.

I'll have to re-watch the video, but I'm pretty sure Linus stated that the VESA bracket is only going to be included in the box in some markets.
Unfortunately he didn't say which markets that would be. I also don't think his review sample came with one otherwise he would have included it in the video.

Seems silly that LG would ship any of these without a VESA mount, but that's their prerogative.... :confused:

I'll have to re-watch the video, but I'm pretty sure Linus stated that the VESA bracket is only going to be included in the box in some markets.
Unfortunately he didn't say which markets that would be. I also don't think his review sample came with one otherwise he would have included it in the video.

Seems silly that LG would ship any of these without a VESA mount, but that's their prerogative.... :confused:

Newegg just updated their listing with actual photos instead of press shots, and I couldn't see any VESA adapter with the other accessories..

(will add picture later.. the new photos are only showing on my Newegg app) EDIT:..

vSL1ESW.jpg

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward the 34UM95 just because of the VESA mounts. I prefer my screen higher up and this curved model doesn't have the adjustment rather just tilt.

I'm leaning toward the 34UM95 just because of the VESA mounts. I prefer my screen higher up and this curved model doesn't have the adjustment rather just tilt.

Other than the mysterious optional VESA adapter bracket for the UC97, there's also the curved 34UC87 version with height-adjustable stand and VESA holes coming up (and the new curved Dell and AOC).

Pricing is high no doubt and some direct 34" competition from other brands should help.
Also consider as more 4k monitors, 4k TVs and capable video cards coming to market start vying for our $'s closer to Holidays these higher end displays may drop even more by then. Well I guess we can hope. Must remain patient a few more months :D

Newegg finally sold-out of all their UC97s tonight. Hopefully someone here snagged one (wasn't me) and will tell us more about it.

will a GTX285 and a 7970 run that resolution for desktop use?

will a GTX285 and a 7970 run that resolution for desktop use?

An HD7970 should, a GTX285 won't.

HD7970 max res is 4096x2160 (8.8MP), GTX285 max res is 2560x1600 (4.1MP), and UC97 res is 3440x1440 (5.0MP)..

B1vR7hC.jpg

Back