LG 34UC79G - 34" 21:9 144hz Freesync

Just got one of these today and thought I'd share some thoughts since I haven't seen anything about it on here.

High refresh rate is a huge deal obviously. I have a GTX1080 and can confirm that 144hz works on NVIDIA cards without frame skipping. I figured it would but was a little worried given LG's recent Freesync displays. I tried to overclock it but got an "out of range" message that popped up in the middle of the screen and it frame skipped anyway so 144hz looks like the top limit, at least on mine. I have an RX480 in my HTPC so I'll hook it up in a bit to see if it can do any better.

It looks to have the same curve as the X34 and PG348Q. Personally I prefer the higher curvature seen on the 34UC88 but that's personal preference. Anti-glare coating is the same as what you'd find on the 34UC88 as well.

I don't have any equipment to measure it but I can generally "feel" input lag. This feels like it has very low lag. The panel itself is very responsive as well - I don't see any issues with ghosting but I've never been overly sensitive to it anyway. I do think I would notice some of the huge trails seen on images of the high refresh VA panels and I haven't seen anything like that here.

The bad thing is it has some pretty annoying yellow backlight bleed in the bottom left. The top left and right have bleed similar to my PG348Q - very slight, not enough to bother me there. This is pretty disappointing given the fact that it's a new panel. LG did such a great job with the 34UC88 I had hoped it would carry over here. Maybe the extra curvature on that display is helping with the bleed.

And yes, I know there will be a lot of posts about the low resolution but it really doesn't bother me. I use my desktop almost exclusively for gaming and as a gaming display I think this does a very good job.

Edit: Added picture of backlight bleed. This was taken from my iPhone so obviously over-saturated but does show the "hot spots". It's not as bad as the picture shows it though. I recently moved my son into a bigger room and re-purposed his into my office. So you get to see awesome wall stickers we used to have up :)

Also, I did hook the display up to my RX480 and it couldn't get it to do anything over 144hz with it either.

Last edited:
Was waiting for this monitor myself since I think its perfect alternative to Z35 (having no ghosting because IPS). Tried Z35 and I think resolution was completely fine, if it wouldn't for very slow panel response I wouldn't return it.
But the fact that they seem to still have BLB issues is a bummer.... Curvature can help with the glow, but glow should be the same on all sides. If its one corner only (and visible from distance), this is certainly the bleed and not the glow.
Can you post a photo of it please?

This is very disappointing esp. considering some LG reps posting how quality should improve with next gen monitors...

Last edited:
Back