LG 34" 3440x1440 monitor - 34UM94 - $849 w/free shipping

I left work @ noon to pick mine up. I moved my pitiful 27" out of the way; and hooked up my work rMBP and sat plugged in via HDMI (thunderbolt cable should arrive tomorrow). Holy crap this things massive. It was waaaaaay too bright out of the box; but after a quick calibration seems good. quick check I don't see any dead pixels;, and in my corner home office; i don't notice much(any? there are lots of windows in here) BLB in any corner with a fullscreen black terminal. I'll do more testing once I have more time; but for now i'm just happy.

The width is more than I was expecting though; I think i'll have to setup bindings to do a 3 column layout rather than my normal 2; so much real estate, I feel more productive already... :)

Too bad I already purchased a 34UM95-P last week - the longer warranty and lower price would have been nice. But after all the headaches in getting the last drop out the door, and that mass drop is projecting another six weeks wait (Nov 21) on these, I'll survive. Beautiful monitor though, awesome for gaming and way better for multitasking than 2x 24" 1080p displays I was using previously.

LG's screen splitting software kind of sucks though, I was disappointed about that. I just use the windows + right/left arrow keys to size and position my windows instead.

Camera = not the best

Mostly shows how different the "bleed" is from one side of the screen to the next. One side is your typical silver IPS glow. The other is Yellow and...bad.

I should note. This is already "guitar pick" modded, which only alleviated the yellow glow from appearing from the bottom right.

Last edited:

Doesn't look too bad imo.. def seen a few UM95s look a lot worse. Think I'd be happy with that.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Not sure if I wanna wait another month or two for this.. can get it from Staples for $900 right now. Wish they could've bargained a better price for the 2nd run.. $800 would be really hard to pass up.

Can anyone comment on the difference between this and the 34UM95 and 34UM95-P? I really want one of these 3440x1440 monitors, but I can't find any clear indication as to the difference between the models.

Not sure if I wanna wait another month or two for this.. can get it from Staples for $900 right now. Wish they could've bargained a better price for the 2nd run.. $800 would be really hard to pass up.

I'm not sure if demand is high, supply is low - or a bit of both. But retailers don't seem to have many issues selling the existing stock, so it doesn't seem like there would be much incentive for LG to offer a lower price. I think the 849 through Mass Drop is already the lowest price available.

Can anyone comment on the difference between this and the 34UM95 and 34UM95-P? I really want one of these 3440x1440 monitors, but I can't find any clear indication as to the difference between the models.

3 year warranty on the 34UM94. And I think the back of the display is black on the 94 where is it is silver on my 95. Those are the only differences I could find.

I'm not sure if demand is high, supply is low - or a bit of both. But retailers don't seem to have many issues selling the existing stock, so it doesn't seem like there would be much incentive for LG to offer a lower price. I think the 849 through Mass Drop is already the lowest price available.

3 year warranty on the 34UM94. And I think the back of the display is black on the 94 where is it is silver on my 95. Those are the only differences I could find.

It is actually the same exact monitor. Just different labeling and different warranty. (A lot of people on massdrop got 34um94 labeling but 34um95 documentation.

I like this resolution but I am done with IPS glow which I hate, especially since there are alternatives now.

Plugged into my gaming pc after work and did a decent LoL binge and some more careful checks.

There is 'bleed' in the bottom right corner; but if i directly in front of the corner; it goes away.

I watched a few HD videos; everything looked good and was smooth after a quick calibration; and I didn't really notice any tearing. 3440x1440 LoL was entertaining; no issues in game or out in borderless window. I need to load up an FPS to test motion blur/etc; but I don't have any installed at the moment.

All in all, I'm very happy. My 660 seems to drive it well over displayport, and my rMBP had no issues at all with my terminal-as-ide development style. No dead pixels/hotspots/color casts/etc.

can GTX 570 drive 2 or even 1 of these guys?

max res for 570 is only: 2560 x 1600.

can GTX 570 drive 2 or even 1 of these guys?

max res for 570 is only: 2560 x 1600.

Don't think so. 3440x1440=5MP, 2560x1600=4.1MP.

Here are the system requirements for the UC97, which should be the same for the UM95/94..

B1vR7hC.jpg

I ended up ordering one through Staples. A bit more expensive and had to pay tax, but I'll have it Tuesday.

Edit: Ordered this from Staples yesterday (10/16) and chose to have it shipped to store. Received an email this morning that it shipped from warehouse with an expected arrival of Tuesday, 10/21. Came home from work this evening (10/17) to find the display proudly sitting by the door for the world to see. Will play with it tomorrow, but it's the 34UM94, has a silver back and date code by HDMI 2 input says September 2014.

Last edited:
Unless there are a lot more buyers then there is no reason to go through the groupbuy. Staples will do free shipping to a store for 950. Throw an online coupon on there and you can get it down to around 910-920.

Buy people, buy!

Unless there are a lot more buyers then there is no reason to go through the groupbuy. Staples will do free shipping to a store for 950. Throw an online coupon on there and you can get it down to around 910-920.

Buy people, buy!

There was a VISA Checkout deal for $50-off purchases over $200 at Staples this weekend, which would've brought the UM94 down to $900 shipped (plus taxes). Was supposed to last until the end of the month, but they killed it by Tuesday..

http://saverocity.com/arewethereyet/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2014/10/Screen-Shot-2014-10-09-at-10.49.41-PM.png

@Webhead: I'd still call/chat with Staples and ask them about the deal, if you missed out. Maybe they'd still honor it?

are you guys not counting tax at staples?

No, but I included a notation stating that there probably would be..

..which would've brought the UM94 down to $900 shipped (plus taxes).

Kinda hard to account for additional taxes when the rate varies from state to state at 3% to 7% plus any additional local surtax on top of that (with 5 states that have 0% general sales tax), and whether or not the retailer even has an obligation to collect (there are Staples stores in all 50 states, besides Wyoming, Alaska, Hawaii and the Dakotas). And of course, there's the consideration of use tax and/or tax-exempt status.

:p

Hope you guys can hit 100 for the $849 price.

Just noticed last night that there are several new shops now stocking the UM94 (Staples, Overstock, PCNation, CompSource, Provantage, etc) and prices appear to be dropping finally. I'm ballparking total availability in the US at well over 1,000 units. The lowest price I could find was ~$910 shipped so far.

"Welcome to the group. Thanks to you joining, the group is now saving a total of $15,000."

Score!

Our lowest negotiated price with LG is at 100 units, whether we buy 100 or 500, we (and the group) will get the same price. Last drop ended with around 180 units in total!

I'm very surprised that MD wasn't able to get them down to $800 for this second run.

180 units for the 1st run + 100 units and climbing = 1/4 million USD, yet the MD buyer is still only saving $50 off the current street price.

I mean you'll often see sale price = Massdrop price. Margins on this type of item aren't great and massdrop needs their cut too. How many units do you think Amazon/Staples buy? more than 100...

The drop has ended!

Want to bring it back? Request it! After 200 requests, we’ll contact the vendor to re-launch the drop.
Request

198 users have requested this product

Get on it people! Some of us missed the first one!

At least a week or two. Maybe a bit longer since it's an expensive product. They'll probably have the end of the drop around the date they receive the current batch of monitors.

exactly. im a little pissed. I would have preferred to save 150$ to get the UM94 vs the 95!

Back