LG 34" 3440x1440 monitor - 34UM94 - $849 w/free shipping

Getting down to the wire. Drop ends at midnight EST.

I'm still on the fence. I'm debating buying one and leaving it unopened until I see other people's feedback. If backlight bleed is still a major issue, I may just immediately resell (locally) as new. If good, I may just keep it.

Urgh. Damnit. Bit. Should save space on my desk. Right now i have 2 27" 16x9 monitors flanking a 16x10 24", I'll put the 24" vertical and dump both 27s. Thunderbolt chaining should clean up cable clutter also.

Dam this is tempting, but alas... I must wait...

Urgh. Damnit. Bit. Should save space on my desk. Right now i have 2 27" 16x9 monitors flanking a 16x10 24", I'll put the 24" vertical and dump both 27s. Thunderbolt chaining should clean up cable clutter also.

Wow that is going to look bad ass.

Is the 27" 1440p? Might want to keep 1 27 and drop the other two. This would give you the same dpi across both monitors.

Dam this is tempting, but alas... I must wait...

Wow that is going to look bad ass.

Is the 27" 1440p? Might want to keep 1 27 and drop the other two. This would give you the same dpi across both monitors.

1080p on the 27s sadly. I have a feeling this will cause me to upgrade my desktop markedly sooner also..

1080p on the 27s sadly. I have a feeling this will cause me to upgrade my desktop markedly sooner also..

My 660ti wasn't cutting it at 1440p. So with the extra pixels, i'm thinking yours will struggle more. Games were playable, but I like eye candy... :D

Questions answered by LG....didn't really get into topics of real concern....

Hey Everyone,

LG delivers in the final hours. Here are all the questions they were able to answer. Hopefully these answers help!

Q: Has anyone from Massdrop confirmed the 34UM94 is identical to the 95? I may have missed it between all the bickering. I feel like it is a serious question as when you provide video review for another product you are implying they are identical.

A: Technically the units are the same. The 34UM94-P does come with the a 3-year warranty instead of the 1-year warranty.

Q:Do you know if the shipping price to Canada includes any customs brokerage or is that just the cost of shipping? I'm wondering about the import tax if I'm getting it from Canada?

A: Massdrop is handling shipping overseas, you'll have to pay whatever taxes or fees customs decides to ask of you. Massdrop's shipping charge is just for shipping, not taxes or fees.

Q: Is it accurate that the only difference between the 34UM94 and 34UM95 is that the 94 has the longer (commercial?) warranty as opposed to the consumer variant? Or are there any other technical spec differences?

A: Technically the units are the same. The 34UM94-P does come with the a 3-year warranty instead of the 1-year warranty.

Q: Is this a 120Hz monitor?

A: No.

Q: Anyone know if this monitor supports portrait mode? I have a VESA wall mount and it'd be nice to turn this 90 degrees if possible.

A: The default stand doesn't support portrait mode but with a mount you can turn it portrait and adjust the settings in your operating system to display portrait mode. There's nothing about this monitor that will interfere with standard portrait mode.

Q: Do you know if it will run it at 60hz or if it can only handle 50hz @ 3440x1440. Would you happen to be using a similar set up?

A: HDMI is limited to 50hz (part of the HDMI standard) but it can support 60hz via the display port input.

Q: Anyone know definitively which DisplayPort revision this will ship with? If it's not 1.2a, might that be something that a firmware update could address?

A: These will ship with DisplayPort 1.2

Q: My only concern is if I get a damaged unit, then what? How would that situation be handled?

A: The warranty is 3-Years Parts/Labor/Backlight – If unit is damaged in shipping, then customer is to go back to reseller (Massdrop) who will work with LG.

LMAO, I like how they didn't address:

Is it true that LG is working on addressing concerns that people had with early batches of the 34UM95?
Will these units from Massdrop shipping in September have the rumored updated firmware that addresses the DP 1.2 issues that some were experiencing?
Will the 34UM94 be factory calibrated like the 34UM95?

Oh well. I'm most likely going to be gaga over this thing no matter what, but it would be nice if these questions could have been answered just so we know where we stand.

I would be in on this if they answered the dead pixel policy. I've used monitors with dead pixels anger my OCD.

I would be in on this if they answered the dead pixel policy. I've used monitors with dead pixels anger my OCD.

I haven't seen many reports of dead pixels on the 95's at least. I'm similarly concerned, but might as well take my chances.

I'm gonna be ditching my current PLP (Dell 3007WFP-HC + 2 x Dell 2007FP's) for this single monitor.

0cqz.jpg

I'm gonna be ditching my current PLP (Dell 3007WFP-HC + 2 x Dell 2007FP's) for this single monitor.

The much better antiglare coating will look tons better than what you're running, but prepare to be underwhelmed by the smaller vertical size unless you get rid of your existing setup beforehand...

The much better antiglare coating will look tons better than what you're running, but prepare to be underwhelmed by the smaller vertical size unless you get rid of your existing setup beforehand...

You are spot on. I just returned mine because of massive backlight bleed. It was manufactured in July. One of my U3014s feels bigger and more immersive than the 34UM95. The extra vertical size is very significant.

You are spot on. I just returned mine because of massive backlight bleed. It was manufactured in July. One of my U3014s feels bigger and more immersive than the 34UM95. The extra vertical size is very significant.

Very significant? Have to disagree... I have a 3008WFP sitting right next to my UM95 and just going back forth between the two, I don't miss the vertical space at all. The extra horizontal space the UM95 offers is well worth the tradeoff.

1080 -> 1440+ was a huge jump, 1440 -> 1600 is just not noticeable enough to matter in my opinion.

Very significant? Have to disagree... I have a 3008WFP sitting right next to my UM95 and just going back forth between the two, I don't miss the vertical space at all. The extra horizontal space the UM95 offers is well worth the tradeoff.

1080 -> 1440+ was a huge jump, 1440 -> 1600 is just not noticeable enough to matter in my opinion.

I am not just talking about number of pixels but the size of the pixels and the physical size of the monitor. The pixel size of the U3014 is larger than the that of the UM95. Thus the physical length of 1440 pixels on the U3014 is longer than that on the UM95. When you now add the extra 160 pixels of the U3014, the difference in vertical dimensions is magnified. Thus, the U3014's vertical height feels even more imposing. It is just like BenQ BL3200PT 32inch monitor will look more imposing than a typical 1440p monitor even though they both have the same number of pixels. The BenQ just has larger pixels.

Perhaps I just value vertical real estate more than you do.

I was talking more about physical presence. For actual pixels/screen real estate, you'll probably enjoy one big screen without bezels-in-between sections more than any pixels you lose.

For comparison's sake, I enjoy gaming on the 34UM95 just as much as I do on my 27" Eyefinity setup. But the physical presence of a huge setup like that is still more impressive than the 34UM95, just like the physical presence of a great 1080p projector setup will beat any multi-monitor setup except for work. I'm sorry but size really does matter!

Where does the 34UM95 beat multi-panel? Movies, which suck ass with bezels covering stuff. That and this supports ALL games no matter what res, and has a built-in scaler while still having minimal input lag. Moreover, the ultrawide format feels much better to work with, since segments of workflow are not separated by bezels. The entire process of handling multiple things at the same time feels much more comfortable again, and unlike 4K I can actually read everything without praying for DPI scaling support to work for everything.

Where do PLP or multi-monitor setups beat 34UM95? Bang-for-buck, which seems to be the only reason to go multi-monitor anymore. Well, and with the super wide aspect ratio you get a different gameplay experience if the game truly supports it. Problem is 95% of games don't. IMO, very good 4K TV > 3x 24" 4K monitors for gameplay experience and workflow both. Even moreso for 4K projector, that is if you have $20,000+ lying around to buy one. Hell, even a single OLED TV will make any 4K x 3 Eyefinity Monitor setup look like a joke except for the fact it may not look as impressive for your ePeen...

While it's going to appear smaller than any 30", I think if you give it a chance and actually start using it you may end up loving the 34UM95 just like I do. I'm not saying it's a replacement for my 27" Eyefinity that I can't use where I'm at, but it's nice enough and different enough that I don't miss it. If LG makes a larger size 21:9 panel in the future with a 4K+ res, I'll be buying that without hesitation!

Last edited:
Tried to go the link but it's dead I guess. What is MassDrop.com? Just a niche daily deal site. Daily deals, even niche daily deals, became unprofitable as far back as 2010. Whoever created that site didn't bother to do their due diligence or hire a firm to test market saturation.

^ did you even bother reading the thread, or do you need a firm to do that for you?

It's you who didn't do your due dilligence in figuring out that this deal already ended a long time ago. What is Massdrop? They tell you right on their site!

With how things are going, you'll probably read this comment next year and reply to it then...

Tried to go the link but it's dead I guess. What is MassDrop.com? Just a niche daily deal site. Daily deals, even niche daily deals, became unprofitable as far back as 2010. Whoever created that site didn't bother to do their due diligence or hire a firm to test market saturation.

I'll feed.

Massdrop is a group by site; most things put up were voted on/picked by the community around it (Specifically, this monitor). If community bites/gets behind a drop; they order, then ship them out.

I was talking more about physical presence. For actual pixels/screen real estate, you'll probably enjoy one big screen without bezels-in-between sections more than any pixels you lose.

This is exactly why I'm ditching my PLP set up. I want one giant desktop without bezels. Nvidia Surround has been cool but just like I said before, bezels are a real pita.

Funny, since it's not a TV it's a monitor. Wrong thread?

I think he meant that he has a 21:9 TV.

I'm already sick of waiting for this monitor to ship....

By far the worst part of Massdrop; we have to wait on shipping *twice*:(

Manufacturer->Massdrop->Us.

Usually slower than retailers also; so it can take a while. :( Just inherent delay in the model.

Massdrop sent an email update:

Drop status update.

Hey Guys,
We spoke to the vendor and they let us know that things are still on track for an early September ship date. We will remain in contact with the vendor and update the group when they drop the group's bulk order for shipment and it is en route to our warehouse.
Thanks for your patience and expect an update from us on 9/1 or sooner if something comes up.

The requested list for this model on massdrop just jumped to 330. Can anyone share their experience of FPS like BF4 on this monitor? Is the view all stretched out without proportion like editing FOV?

The requested list for this model on massdrop just jumped to 330. Can anyone share their experience of FPS like BF4 on this monitor? Is the view all stretched out without proportion like editing FOV?

I am also curious about this.

Man, I so wish one of these was on my budget right now! A truly amazing monitor at a great price.

Log into massdrop and vote up the monitor for another drop; and when it gets another drop sign up.. :) Not sure if they notify you or not; probably an option.

Thanks, voted! it was at 407 votes...I wonder how many people vote stuff and then dont buy?

Thanks, voted! it was at 407 votes...I wonder how many people vote stuff and then dont buy?

Well, I think that over 3,000 people voted for the initial drop and only 184 actually bought. Don't get me wrong; 184 is more than I expected because initially we were having trouble reaching 50...but then they reduced the price to $849 and a ton of people jumped in.

So that gives you some idea of the ratio, although it's possible that a good number out of that 407 will actually follow through with a purchase...I would bet that a good number of them wanted in on the first drop but were too late and missed it, hence they are voting for it to return.

You have to figure, at least half the votes are 14 year old kids with no money praying to the spirit of Steve Jobs for a 50% discount on high end tech goods. Not gonna happen.

You have to figure, at least half the votes are 14 year old kids with no money praying to the spirit of Steve Jobs for a 50% discount on high end tech goods. Not gonna happen.

Praying to the wrong spirit then if they're expecting a 50% discount lol

so this drop went for $849 shipped eh? not bad at all.

still, I can see why its a crapshoot when 3000 confirm interest, then it has to drop to $849 before you actually approach 200 commits. The timeline on this is hard for me to follow but I guess if it takes a long time to even get to the phase where commitments are sought then you lose a lot of people along the way who found something else to buy in the interim...not sure how much communication there is during that phase either?

As you can see, I'm pretty interested right now ;)
I just saw that my local microcenter has one um95 in stock for $999, I might go take a gander at it this week.

so this drop went for $849 shipped eh? not bad at all.

still, I can see why its a crapshoot when 3000 confirm interest, then it has to drop to $849 before you actually approach 200 commits. The timeline on this is hard for me to follow but I guess if it takes a long time to even get to the phase where commitments are sought then you lose a lot of people along the way who found something else to buy in the interim...not sure how much communication there is during that phase either?

As you can see, I'm pretty interested right now ;)
I just saw that my local microcenter has one um95 in stock for $999, I might go take a gander at it this week.

With Massdrop; you can commit to buy 'if it hits lowest price', and it will show that to people so there should be no waiting to see if it'll go low enough in the interim. You don't have to commit to buy regardless of how low it gets. It's pretty straight forward/open process.

With Massdrop; you can commit to buy 'if it hits lowest price', and it will show that to people so there should be no waiting to see if it'll go low enough in the interim. You don't have to commit to buy regardless of how low it gets. It's pretty straight forward/open process.

I gotcha, I'll try to keep an eye on this thread, I hope to see you guys posting sweet desktop pics soon!

I just hope it doesnt have to get voted up to 3000 before a new drop can be opened...

I gotcha, I'll try to keep an eye on this thread, I hope to see you guys posting sweet desktop pics soon!

I just hope it doesnt have to get voted up to 3000 before a new drop can be opened...

I believe their rule of thumb is 200 votes and they'll talk to manufacturer.

We're getting close:

Drop status update.

Hey Guys,
We talked to the vendor last week and they have gone ahead and released roughly half of the group's order. The bulk order is now en route to our warehouse. We don't have tracking info yet, but we will stay in contact with the vendor and update the group as soon as the bulk order arrives at our warehouse.
We are working on confirming the ship date of the second batch of monitors now and will update the group as soon as we hear updated news.
Thanks for your patience and expect an update from us on 9/5 or sooner if something comes up.

Back