LG 34" 3440x1440 monitor - 34UM94 - $849 w/free shipping

Another Update:

Drop status update.

Hey Guys,
We have some good news and some okay news for the group today. First the good news! The vendor shipped out more than half of the group's order and it will arrive at our warehouse on 9/8 barring any delays en route. We will have our warehouse team breakdown the bulk order and have individual orders readied for shipment as soon as possible. We will update the group once orders from this batch have shipped.
Okay now for people who will be covered by the remaining batch. The vendor let us know that those units are currently in production and are scheduled to arrive at their US warehouse on 9/22 as long as there are no shipping delays on the way. When they receive the shipment they will have it freighted to us and we will update the group on the progress of the bulk order to our warehouse. We will stay in contact with the vendor and update the group if there are any changes on ETA.
Thanks for your patience and expect an update from us on 9/9 or sooner if something comes up.

this plus a 295x2 would be amazing....

someone do post when the next drop is i might have to pull out my CC for this

Is there anyway to cancel this massdrop shipment? Can i call my credit card company and ask to dispute claim? i'm starting to feel like by the time this comes out, there will be better things.

Is there anyway to cancel this massdrop shipment? Can i call my credit card company and ask to dispute claim? i'm starting to feel like by the time this comes out, there will be better things.

Those who ordered will have the monitor by the end of the month. The only near future technology expo I know of is CEDIA which is next week. CES isn't until next year.

What do you think is coming before next year that will be better?

Those who ordered will have the monitor by the end of the month. The only near future technology expo I know of is CEDIA which is next week. CES isn't until next year.

What do you think is coming before next year that will be better?

Well there is the Dell one and the LG ones that are curved. I think that's like November-December. I'll be getting this monitor probably like October-November at this rate since I'm in the 2nd group

Would this sell fast used? Is there a short supply?

Probably would sell quickly if priced right. The 34UM95 availability has been getting much better during the past week (Amazon just dropped their price $100, but still $100 over MSRP) and the 34UM94 hasn't arrived at retailers at all yet (current ETA has gotten pushed back to Oct 22nd).

Lowest recent price on the UM94 is $910, and there's still shops that have the UM95 in-stock for $1000. Hopefully, you can sell it quickly before the curved UC97 drops stateside and the demand shifts.. it's already available for pre-order at many shops in Europe.

I asked massdrop myself but they said nahhhhh. If you find a workaround please do let me know.

I wouldn't be too gung-ho about the curved displays, they might be slightly better (damn near negligible at 34" unless you're really close to the monitor (closer than the recommended 1.5-3 times diagonal length to reduce eye strain and fatigue). That and there is only speculation at this point that backlight bleed issues will be resolved, I have no doubts it will be less prominent of an issues, but by how much and is it worth the premium price tag it will inevitably carry (considering MSRP differences and the seemingly high demand and low supply of the 34UM94/5 models when its been shown you can take as little as 20 minutes of your time with a guitar pick and drastically reduce even the most severe backlgiht bleed to near nothing.

Just a little food for thought is all, and I'm willing to bet that you won't find a deal as good as the MassDrop one for the new displays.

I wouldn't be too gung-ho about the curved displays, they might be slightly better (damn near negligible at 34" unless you're really close to the monitor (closer than the recommended 1.5-3 times diagonal length to reduce eye strain and fatigue). That and there is only speculation at this point that backlight bleed issues will be resolved, I have no doubts it will be less prominent of an issues, but by how much and is it worth the premium price tag it will inevitably carry (considering MSRP differences and the seemingly high demand and low supply of the 34UM94/5 models when its been shown you can take as little as 20 minutes of your time with a guitar pick and drastically reduce even the most severe backlgiht bleed to near nothing.

Just a little food for thought is all, and I'm willing to bet that you won't find a deal as good as the MassDrop one for the new displays.

Do you have a link to a guide for the guitar pick fix?

The First Batch Goes Out Tomorrow:

Drop status update.

Hey Guys,
The monitors arrived at our warehouse late Monday afternoon. Our warehouse spent today breaking down the freight shipment and we will start shipping these out to you tomorrow morning.
Thanks for your patience and expect an update from us on Thursday.

I don't think I'm in the first batch. :(

Where do I do that? I think I'm in the second batch because I ordered after the last drop in price.

Comment then next your name in the comment, there's going to be a star. Hover over it and it will tell you what # participant you are.

I'm 105. I might have just missed the first batch. I haven't got a shipping confirmation.

I sent an email asking for a refund, as they are way out of their estimates. When I signed up they were telling me earlier September as a delivery date. If the second batch takes as long as the first batch, we're looking at late October/early November... I assume they will tell me no, and then I will likely call my bank and see what can be done.

I don't want to screw over Massdrop, but $850 tied up for multiple months is not acceptable to me. I know it's not their fault, but I also know they didn't need all 180 orders to get the lowest price. They should easily be able to refund some of the unhappy people in the second batch.

Last edited:
I sent an email asking for a refund, as they are way out of their estimates. When I signed up they were telling me earlier September as a delivery date. If the second batch takes as long as the first batch, we're looking at late October/early November... I assume they will tell me no, and then I will likely call my bank and see what can be done.

I don't want to screw over Massdrop, but $850 tied up for multiple months is not acceptable to me. I know it's not their fault, but I also know they didn't need all 180 orders to get the lowest price. They should easily be able to refund some of the unhappy people in the second batch.

they said they should be getting the next batch in soon. will let everyone know 9/22

gonna be hard to find an answer to this since its rather specific/niche but has anyone tried playing online poker with this monitor? How many tables can you play without overlapping on this? currently use a 2560x1440 and 2560x1600 dell and couldn't play more than 12 tables because the HUD text was too small and the bezel between the two drove me bonkers

Just got mine today. I ordered it from B&H Photo instead. Nice and immersive screen but there is a 2 inch patch of purple stuck pixels. Very apparent when the screen is dark but less so in bright screen. Also the light bleed is massive in one corner. I'm quite disappointed and will be returning it. Hopefully the local electronic stores will start carrying it so I can do a quick exchange if needed to.

The light bleed seems to be hit or miss on these monitors. I'm in the second batch and hopefully they ship it out by the end of next week. I also hope I get a decent one in terms of light bleed in the corners. :)

For those thinking of getting the curved screen; they don't fare any different in terms of light bleed in the corners. It's just as bad and is also hit or miss. Check out the review of the curved version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcaktV1iiGk&list=UUXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw

Note the reviewer had the flat version prior to this review. He notes the experience is almost the same as the flat version and notably that the curve is almost too subtle to tell a difference between the two.

Last edited:
Looks like next week the second batch goes out!

Drop status update.

Hey Guys,
We spoke to the vendor today and they let us know that the remaining batch of monitors arrived at LG's US warehouse on 9/24. The bulk order has been readied for freight shipment to our warehouse and is expected to ship out from the vendor today. We will stay in contact with the vendor and update the group as soon as these arrive.
Thanks for your patience and expect an update from us on 10/3 or sooner if something comes up.

Me as well. Still biting my nails until I see if I get to spend the next 6 months doing battle with customer support over bad QC.

Me as well. Still biting my nails until I see if I get to spend the next 6 months doing battle with customer support over bad QC.

I feel like I got lucky with mine after reading about backlight bleed, lines in the monitor, and other various issues. Hopefully these from the second batch will be just as good as the one I got. Heck mine could die tomorrow for all I know, but I've been very pleased with the panel itself.

The massdrop for this is back. I see a lot of issues in this thread. Are there as many issues as it seems, or is it only the people that are having issues posting?

I never did get around to posting. I have some photos. I wasn't looking for perfection. But I've got some really bad light bleed on the left side. Right side has some but not bad enough to warrant RMA. The left side is bad enough I'm gonna attempt RMA...so there's that. Mine is REV 2 September

Whiners are usually louder than happy folk; and the shipping delays just encourage more complaint I think. I'm picking my rev2 up in an hour and will report back; but I expect excellent color with some backlight bleeding in the corners; and finicky support for the UWA resolution in some full screen apps. I'm planning on using it for photography/coding; i'll likely keep my 24" 16x10 for gaming (i tend to do my casual gaming on console, and overly large screens tend to be detrimental in the heat of the moment).

Whiners are usually louder than happy folk; and the shipping delays just encourage more complaint I think. I'm picking my rev2 up in an hour and will report back; but I expect excellent color with some backlight bleeding in the corners; and finicky support for the UWA resolution in some full screen apps. I'm planning on using it for photography/coding; i'll likely keep my 24" 16x10 for gaming (i tend to do my casual gaming on console, and overly large screens tend to be detrimental in the heat of the moment).

Usually the "backlight bleed" that's present in the corners is simply IPS glow that's unavoidable due to the panel type, and it's exaggerated due to the size of the monitor because the width puts the corners so far away from your center of vision. Some people have mistaken it for BLB, but they're not the same thing at all.

But I agree that people who receive a worse sample are more likely to complain; that's why I've tried to speak up and say that I lucked up with mine...not all of them have issues but sometimes I wonder if I'm in the minority.

I was quite ready to overlook some minor glow as being inherent to IPS. Literally, one corner of my monitor is like having an astigmatism when displaying anything remotely low-intensity. It's more of a yellow-orange than the silvery IPS glow. Photos exaggerate the effect. But it's more than an annoyance to the naked eye.

I do agree though. Some people will whine about anything that's not perfect. But I think there have been a lot of valid cases against the monitor as well. Problem is sample size and source. People complaining are the ones posting photos of the monitor in a dark room. The ones who are happy, for all we know, aren't even checking for problems and are just wowed by the size of the monitor. Doesn't necessarily mean they got a perfect monitor. Just that they're happy with a potentially flawed product.

The reddit post I linked earlier is now resolved. It shows that LG *can* produce one of these with flawless backlight issues. But the guy had to jump through 50 hoops to get one.

Well as long as the general chant isn't, "Stay away for dear life!", then I think I'm probably going to assume I'm seeing the < 5% of buyers. I think I'll be in for one this time around.

I'm loving mine, you can always skip this one and hope for a curvy 21:9 drop?

Back