LG 34" 21:9 vs Asus 27" PG278Q Swift...

skypine27

Gawd
Hey guys. I have more money than common sense, so I actually have both of these monitors right now (using the system in my Sig):
The LG 34" (34UM95-P)
and
The Asus PG278Q 27"

What happened was....

I had been using a Dell Ultrasharp 27" (u2711) and wanted to try something different, so I picked up the LG 34"

The LG shows up, and WOW I thought, this thing is HUGE. And buy Huge, I mean AWESOME. Not huge like thick and heavy. Huge like the view screen on the Starship Enterprise kind of huge.

Time to fire it up!
Initially I was a bit disappointed a the colors being too dark on 100% brightness after coming from my high end Dell, but I was awed by the amount of screen real estate. You almost have to physically turn your head a few degrees to see the far edges of the screen. Looks amazing sitting there too. Moving files around the Windows environment, web browsing in once browser while having a song or video playing in another (open at the same time of course), etc. You pretty much NEVER have to resize a file or web browser explorer window to make room to see everything at the same time. Stuff like that was WAAAAY improved over my Dell 2711.

Game wise, I'm a light-medium gamer. The first title I fired up on the LG was WarThunder (which supports 3440 x 1440 with no problems). "WOW this looks nice." You can simply see more stuff (ie, distance) laterally. I was getting the full 60fps (v-sync on) on the LG as I was with the Dell; the Titan Im using handled the slightly tougher task of rendering the higher resolution of the LG fine. Also played around in Guild Wars 2 (full 3440 x 1440 support) and Heroes and Generals (which has a slight glitch at 3440 x 1440) and was really impressed at how much "more" I could see in these games vs on my 27" Dell at 2560 x 1440.

Fast forward a few months, and I figured I'd see what this whole "g-sync fad" is about and I just got the PG278Q today.

First impression taking it out of the box was...
"WTF, they accidently packed the 24" version in the box for the 27!!!" (Obviously they didn't.) I was just so used to the 34" LG "wide" widescreen that going back to a normal aspect ratio 27" feels fucking tiny. I literally had to get my tape measure out and measure the screen size diagonally to convince myself that I was not somehow duped into buying a 24" monitor.

Fired it up today, and the colors feel too bright everywhere, but I think this is a result of using the darker LG for a few months. Immediately miss the lateral real estate advantage of the LG when web browsing multiple browsers / windows, moving pics around, etc at the same time. Time to game. Just like the first game I fired up when going from the Dell to the LG was WarThunder, so it shall be again. Enabled g-sync everywhere, set the monitor to 144hz in the control panel, and fired up WarThunder. Disabled v-sync in game, of course, and had to change resolution DOWN to 2560 x 1440 :)
First thoughts, WOW this IS smooth. I now see this whole "smoothness" thing that g-sync fans are talking about. FPS counter in game is showing stable at 144 nearly all the time. Aircraft animation and just panning around the scenery in game definitely feel smother.

Fire up Heroes and Generals. Same feeling. Wow this IS smooth. I never felt like me Dell or LG was "rough" (ie, the opposite of smooth). I generally got a steady 60fps in any game I played with mostly high settings when using the Titan and DP cable with the Dell and the LG (note, you have to use the DP connection to get 60hz with the LG. If you use HDMI, it is limited to 50hz!). But panning and running around at 144 fps on this Asus is definitely smoother.

I'm tired of typing so a summary of first impressions after now owning both of these beasts.

LG 34" 21:9
+Amazing lateral screen real estate is great for the Windows 8 desktop environment / productivity
+When the game has full support of this resolution, which most modern games do, the amount of extra "space" you can see laterally really is very very very nice.
+I can see why several online reviewers who received the LG as a review sample said after a few hours of use, it literally became their favorite monitor and did not want to put anything else on their desk.
-Colors felt slightly too dark (at max brightness) coming from my high quality Dell
-G-sync tech definitely has a detectable advantage in games, especially the hard-core FPS games that are populated with 13 year olds on Ritalin (BF4, BF3, CoD's, etc)
-Non adjustable stand (height wise) but the height was perfect for my desk / chair anyway

Asus PG278Q 27"
+Yes, games are definitely smoother when paired with a high end video card (again, Im using an overclocked Titan)
+In first person shooters, this is where you notice this new tech the most.
-The screen literally feels TINY after using the LG for only a few months. Going from the "wide" widescreen of 34" @ 21:9 to a "normal" wide screen of 27" feels like I literally went back to a 19" 1080p from years ago.

Pic related, the 2 x monitors side by side. I don't have an HDMI cable to connect the LG to show you side by side with both powered on and in a desktop:

To me, there is NO winner here. The LG 34" way out classes the Asus in the windows operating environment as well as in games like GuildWars 2, WarGame Red Dragon, etc. Ie games where seeing "more" of the environment is a bigger help than instant mouse response time. The Asus 27" loses badly in the windows operating environment but when you fire up BF4 for the first time on it (as long as you are paired up with a GTX 780 or above), you will say "OHHH, this IS smooth..." and maybe get a few extra head shots that you wouldn't have before.

After using both of these screens for Win 8 general use and light-medium gaming, the real winner would be the LG 34" 21:9 with a 144hz panel paired up with G-Sync. A monitor like that will be my next purchase.

There simply isn't a winner (to me) between these two screens, so I'm not sure yet which one is going on E-Bay...

Thank you for writing all that. Can I bother you with one clarification?
You mentioned that the asus had "Brighter colors". Did you mean more "Vibrant"? or that the panel backlight was brighter?
If you disregard the screen real-estate and go purely by the colors, which one would you prefer? (I don't mean color accuracy - just if the colors are vibrant enough)
Also, which panel of the two is "Glossier"? or "less matte"?

I am actually going back and forth on these two monitors myself. I owned the LG but had to return it due to finances but going back to my 28" Shimian was rough,the wide aspect really is engrossing. I really wish I could try G-sync in person to see if it's worth it.

I am also torn between going ultrawide or getting Gsync/ULMB... Why, oh why, do we have to choose! And then there is that 4k Gsync screen coming from Acer next month...

I had a long response typed out and just lost it by hitting the wrong key.

Short version this time:

Falk:
By brighter colors, I'm talking about the monitors "brightness". The LG comes from the factory with brightness set at 100%, ie max setting. When I first played, for example, Heroes and Generals on the LG (previously playing it on the Dell), I had to go into the game's graphics and crank up the brightness (or gamma I think its called) in the game menu, because the scenery was too dark on the LG vs the Dell. Now on this Asus, I believe the brightness level (which is set on 70% on the monitor) is more like the Dells, because using it for the first time was like the sun was hitting me in the eyes. Things like the white background in a windows file explorer menu or the white background on a website felt "too" bright on the Asus after using the LG for a while. But as far as accuracy goes, how can I judge that? The Asus colors feel a bit "washed out", so to speak, compared to the LG. I cant remember hwo the Dell looked (sold it on ebay)

Bodine:
G-Sync is definitely "feel-able" in fast games such as WarThunder, or Heroes and Generals which I just played several games of. It is not detectable (at least, not to me) in games like Guild Wars 2 or War Game Red Dragon. In those, the LG was definitely better due to real estate advantage.

Last edited:
I read about that 4K Acer. Its a 28" model:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/press/2014/82208

If they would make that in a 30-32, I'd be all over it. Id sell the LG and the PG278Q I just got on ebay and jump on that Acer. But 4K on a 28"? I can barely see text clearly etc on 2560x1440 on a 27". I think you need a solid 32" to comfortably read etc on a 4K (w/o using windows DPI scaling).

But my experience after using the LG and Asus back to back is what Armenius just said: the LG 34" w/ g-sync and a 120-144 panel would be perfect :)

I had a long response typed out and just lost it by hitting the wrong key.

Short version this time:

Falk:
By brighter colors, I'm talking about the monitors "brightness". The LG comes from the factory with brightness set at 100%, ie max setting. When I first played, for example, Heroes and Generals on the LG (previously playing it on the Dell), I had to go into the game's graphics and crank up the brightness (or gamma I think its called) in the game menu, because the scenery was too dark on the LG vs the Dell. Now on this Asus, I believe the brightness level (which is set on 70% on the monitor) is more like the Dells, because using it for the first time was like the sun was hitting me in the eyes. Things like the white background in a windows file explorer menu or the white background on a website felt "too" bright on the Asus after using the LG for a while. But as far as accuracy goes, how can I judge that? The Asus colors feel a bit "washed out", so to speak, compared to the LG. I cant remember hwo the Dell looked (sold it on ebay)

Bodine:
G-Sync is definitely "feel-able" in fast games such as WarThunder, or Heroes and Generals which I just played several games of. It is not detectable (at least, not to me) in games like Guild Wars 2 or War Game Red Dragon. In those, the LG was definitely better due to real estate advantage.

I play a little bit of everything which makes the decision harder. The one thing I did read that put a notch on the Asus side was G-sync performance in the Dolphin emulator. Playing Mario Galaxy with butter smooth framerate and in HD almost makes me want that by itself. What sucks though is that I'd have to switch from my 290 to an Nvidia card which just adds to the cost. But I'd probably buy another 290 if I went with the LG anyways because when I had it I felt one card was not enough to run at 60fps maxed.

I need to decide either way because the next Borderlands is coming out and thats the next big PC release for me.

Yeah, If you play a bit of everything, i'd go with the LG. Its just so awesome looking at that thing. It really is like the view screen of the Starship Enterprise. If you are more of a competitive BF4 or CoD guy, then Id go with the Asus.

Ive been gaming about 3-4 hours now on the PG278Q, and it still seems tiny sitting on my desk.

Its unfortunate we have to make this choice now, between big screen or g-sync. I'm betting next year, we will be able to have both.

What I don't get topic creator is this - as far as I have read about gsync, this technology is most useful to make low framerates ~ 30 - 50 fps appear butter smooth. That being the case, wouldn't 60hz monitors benefit a lot from gsync?
what I'm getting at is, even if they release the current LG monitor with gsync, Its a fantastic buy already without being 120 hz.. no?

Yeah, If you play a bit of everything, i'd go with the LG. Its just so awesome looking at that thing. It really is like the view screen of the Starship Enterprise. If you are more of a competitive BF4 or CoD guy, then Id go with the Asus.

Ive been gaming about 3-4 hours now on the PG278Q, and it still seems tiny sitting on my desk.

Its unfortunate we have to make this choice now, between big screen or g-sync. I'm betting next year, we will be able to have both.

I guess G-sync is sorta like the Oculus, I need to see it in person to take the thirst away from wanting one so bad. I guess it'll all come down to which one is in stock first.

Hi Falk:

Im no expert on G-sync but I have read a bit about it.

Here are some people arguing why do you even need g-sync on a 144hz monitor:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/680272/g-sync-on-a-144hz-monitor-whats-the-point-/

Anyway, i'll stop rambling in this thread. If there any more questions about the LG vs the Asus, feel free to PM me them.

All I can say to summarize:
The screen size is SO amazing on the LG it is VERY VERY VERY hard to go back to a normal aspect ratio 27". The slickness of gaming at 120-140 fps on a 144hz monitor with g-sync in games like BF4 and WarThunder is pretty cool, but it now feels like I am playing on a 19" 1080p monitor because of how amazing the LG looked.

Thx

Last edited:
Hi Falk:

Im no expert on G-sync but I have read a bit about it.

Here are some people arguing why do you even need g-sync on a 144hz monitor:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/680272/g-sync-on-a-144hz-monitor-whats-the-point-/

Anyway, i'll stop rambling in this thread. If there any more questions about the LG vs the Asus, feel free to PM me them.

All I can say to summarize:
The screen size is SO amazing on the LG it is VERY VERY VERY hard to go back to a normal aspect ration 27". The slickness of gaming at 120-140 fps on a 144hz monitor with g-sync in games like BF4 and WarThunder is pretty cool, but it now feels like I am playing on a 19" 1080p monitor because of how amazing the LG looked.

Thx

I have the order page open,hovering above the 'buy' button,lol. What's turning me off now is all the QC issues with backlight people are having in the thread.

What I don't get topic creator is this - as far as I have read about gsync, this technology is most useful to make low framerates ~ 30 - 50 fps appear butter smooth. That being the case, wouldn't 60hz monitors benefit a lot from gsync?
what I'm getting at is, even if they release the current LG monitor with gsync, Its a fantastic buy already without being 120 hz.. no?
It's not just about smoothness, but perceived input lag. When the screen is refreshing in sync with the game's framerate there is going to be no lag. On a 144Hz monitor it means that GSync will be capped at 144 FPS. Similarly on a 60Hz monitor it will be capped to 60 FPS. GSync and 144Hz is for people who have the hardware or desire to play above 100 FPS, but can't keep the framerate constant with the screen's refresh rate. No tearing and no input lag is the optimal experience when gaming, and GSync can provide that.

Now, if you can maintain a constant framerate equal to the screen's refresh rate, then that is what ULMB is for. On a monitor like the PG278Q there will be no perceived input lag at any refresh rate when the framerate is keeping pace, so ULMB provides a better experience by lowering pixel persistence and virtually eliminating motion blur. One of the caveats of GSync is that as the framerate approached the monitor's refresh rate, it starts acting more like regular Vsync, so that is why you have both of these options available.

So basically it boils down to GSync allowing you to have an optimal gameplay experience with higher visual settings by eliminating the need to maintain high framerates. If you can maintain a high framerate, then ULMB is there as the alternative.

Yeah, I'll attest to the 144Hz being useful with G-Sync or not. While G-Sync definitely makes things feel nice and smooth the fast pixels on the Swift are just as important to the feel of this monitor. At 144Hz with and without g-sync enabled this monitor still feels smooth and low motion blur. Enabling g-sync makes it even smoother especially at lower frame rates, and if you have the GPUs to keep your frame rates high ULMB just takes it to the next level for motion. In BF4 for me ULMB looks the best, even with ULMB at 85Hz as my 780s can't maintain much more than that in Ultra. (averaging around 100, but dipping to 80 or so).

That said I wish we could have it all, 34" 4K at 144Hz with ULMB and G-Sync. Good gawd you'd need 4 OC'd GTX 980 to power it, but it would be absolutely glorious.

Hate to voice a possibly unpopular opinion here, but I turned them on side by side, and the LG simply kicks the Asus' ass for everything except the specialized occasion where above all else you need absolute smoothness and responsiveness in a first person shooter, where your competition is largely 13 year olds on Ritalin...:

Not sure the backlight issue people are talking about on the LG. Mine seems normal in the dark.

Thanks for writing this. I was torn between the LG or sell my two 290x and go for two 980 with the Asus.
Now I might just stick with the LG. My question is how is the backlight bleed/ips glow on yours? Can you take a picture?

Hate to voice a possibly unpopular opinion here, but I turned them on side by side, and the LG simply kicks the Asus' ass for everything except the specialized occasion where above all else you need absolute smoothness and responsiveness in a first person shooter, where your competition is largely 13 year olds on Ritalin...:

http://s82.photobucket.com/user/skypine27/media/DSC_3317.jpg.html

http://s82.photobucket.com/user/skypine27/media/DSC_3318.jpg.html

Not sure the backlight issue people are talking about on the LG. Mine seems normal in the dark.
Well you are comparing a TN panel to IPS. IPS will always blow away a TN in terms of color reproduction.

Sieg:

Tell me what you want a pic of and I will do it tomorrow

Armenius:

Im not an IPS/TN guy. I don't care what the panel is made from. I only care about the end-user experience. The Asus is definitely better for head shots in BF4. The LG is better for everything else I've done.

Update for Falk:

For the color "accuracy" after using both monitors more, I would go with the LG. The black is especially much nicer on the LG than the Asus. Immediatley unplugging the Asus and plugging in the LG, looking at the same desktop background, makes me go "WOW. This looks SO much deeper/richer on the LG. The ASUS colors look slightly "washed out" (think of a car that spent too much time in the desert sun) compared to the LG.

But, points for the Asus on smoothness. I am now a 100% believe in refresh rates greater than 60hz. Even simply sliding the mouse cursor at a stead speed from one side of the screen to the other feels so much smoother on the Asus at 144hz after going back to the LG at 60hz. I never noticed my mouse cursor not being smooth on my high end 60hz monitors, but after using the Asus @ 144, now I definitely notice things not feeling quite right on a 60hz screen.

Here are the black lighting pics that were requested:

Problem is, I cant get my camera to focus on that youtube video clearly. It does not have manual focus ability

Here are some more pics of my desktop background. The small white light you see in the left side of some pics is not from the LG, it is the power light on my speakers.

Same pics of the ASUS for comparison. The red ring is the "cool" light at the base of the monitor, I forgot to turn it off but I don't believe if has messed up the outcome of the any pics.

Last edited:
that youtube video is useless.

download this:
http://www.eizo.be/support/monitortest.html

run it - you can browse the test screens with left click forward and right click backward. you can hide the bottom information in the test screen by clicking the circled "i".

take a photo of the black screen head on in a completely dark room.

It's funny, as it may just be the pictures you posted but the 34" doesn't look that much larger than the 27".

As for motion clarity, there is a monumental difference. Sure, if you play slow games like Diablo the motion clarity hit won't be as bad. But virtually all games will benefit from the immensely better motion clarity of the Swift, especially in ULMB if you can maintain 120+FPS. That cannot be understated. I cannot use a slow 60 Hz monitor like the LG, every-time you move the view in your game the screen becomes just a huge smear. The image quality and aspect ratio increase doesn't mean anything if the whole image is blurred, but it is nice in Windows I guess.

Skuko:

I'll do that when I get home. Traveling on holiday right now

Vega:

I have to play more "faster" games on the LG to see how it feels after gaming on the Asus. Yeah, for WarThunder, Fallout NV, Wargame Red Dragon (and any other RTS for that matter), SimCity5, the Civ games, to me the LG seemed quite superior.

I will have to attempt some more BF4 and Heroes and Generals on the LG immediately after playing them on the Asus to get an idea. Thing is, I don't play many FPS games anymore. Those are the only 2 I have on my system. When Far Cry 4 comes out, I will be buying it and hopefully i can compare that on both monitors (if I have not sold one by then), but that title is single player only. Also switching to a GTX 980 very soon which should give a slight edge to the Asus, since the LG was usually maxed out at 60 in most titles while the Asus wasn't maxed out at 144 in most of my games with just the Titan.

skypine27, thank you for the review on the LG. I actually saw one of these at my microcenter and I was thinking of how big this monitor was. One of my monitors is slowly going out so I'm thinking of migrating my eyefinity setup for a single monitor. My main use for my setup is productivity but I do enjoy the occasional Diablo session or Counterstrike Source. I was using the setup for Titanfall but it appears my setup was way overkill for it.

I was hoping freesync would be nice but for what I want to do, it won't really make a whole lot of difference though.

Vega:

I have to play more "faster" games on the LG to see how it feels after gaming on the Asus.

Also, don't forget to try ULMB mode as the motion clarity is quite a bit better than G-Sync mode. I used to think even "slow" type games wouldn't really benefit from fast monitors, boy was I wrong. Even something as simple as scrolling around the map in Starcraft II makes a huge difference. Everything is crystal clear with a strobing backlight. Doing the same scrolling around the map on a standard 60 Hz monitor, it is so blurry you can't even identify your units.

Make sure you are using FPS = Hz on your web browser and go to this link on both monitors:

http://testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=eiffel.jpg&pps=1080&pursuit=0&height=0

I bet the LG look's quite bad..

Thx for the updates guys. I'll start doing all these things tomorrow (including a few Team Fortress 2 games on the LG)

Also, don't forget to try ULMB mode as the motion clarity is quite a bit better than G-Sync mode. I used to think even "slow" type games wouldn't really benefit from fast monitors, boy was I wrong. Even something as simple as scrolling around the map in Starcraft II makes a huge difference. Everything is crystal clear with a strobing backlight. Doing the same scrolling around the map on a standard 60 Hz monitor, it is so blurry you can't even identify your units.

Make sure you are using FPS = Hz on your web browser and go to this link on both monitors:

http://testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=eiffel.jpg&pps=1080&pursuit=0&height=0

I bet the LG look's quite bad..

What's the difference between the ULMB mode and G-Sync mode? Does ULMB mode not use the g-sync board? I'm curious to see as I'd like to get one of these monitors but since I have AMD cards, it won't do G-Sync.

What's the difference between the ULMB mode and G-Sync mode? Does ULMB mode not use the g-sync board? I'm curious to see as I'd like to get one of these monitors but since I have AMD cards, it won't do G-Sync.

It does use the G-Sync board, but ULMB strobes the backlight, "normal" G-Sync does not. ULMB will have far better motion clarity, but will be more sensitive to FPS drops.

Actually my LGs look quite good as long as its not over HDMI 1.4, which is capped at 50Hz on the native resolution at which point it gets all sorts of stuttering and sync issues. I could just be some filthy casual and not [H]ard enough though.

You would have to have something like a Swift or Lightboost monitor in strobe backlight mode to compare. Your brain would be like OMG the motion clarity! :D

Hey guys, tests suspended for a few days. I just ordered a GTX 980.

Will drop that in and continue with the requests I've gotten so far.

Hey guys, tests suspended for a few days. I just ordered a GTX 980.

Will drop that in and continue with the requests I've gotten so far.

Hey skypine, I just ordered the LG after debating with myself about the LG vs Asus rog vs the Eizo flexiscan. After reading this thread I was able to rule out the Asus rog and the size factor pushed me to the LG's side over the Eizo.
Now though I have to upgrade my GPU since mine currently mostly wont run games well at this resolution and there I'm debating between single 980 vs sli 970. I've seen the benchmarks for sli 970 and they can push anything on this monitor smoothly, but single card is always better and hence I'm interested to hear how the single 980 pushes this resolution.
Benchmarks are available for 1440p and 4k, but not for this LG resolution. Do let us know how the 980 handles this monitor.

just like any other 120+hz TN... the asus is way overhyped imo.

What's crazy is the number of review sites that proclaim that the Asus monitor is the best thing since sliced bread. Topic creator made a very honest observation and the fact that this observation of washed out colors when compared to a good IPS was never focussed on by any of the review sites. Almost all these sites kept repeating the same thing - "Yes its a Tn, but its the best Tn we've seen". Under normal circumstances, I would agree with that statement; however, at the price point this Asus monitor sells at, Its competition is not Tn, but the other IPS models. makes you wonder how much money Asus shelled out to buy out all these review sites.

What's crazy is the number of review sites that proclaim that the Asus monitor is the best thing since sliced bread. Topic creator made a very honest observation and the fact that this observation of washed out colors when compared to a good IPS was never focussed on by any of the review sites. Almost all these sites kept repeating the same thing - "Yes its a Tn, but its the best Tn we've seen". Under normal circumstances, I would agree with that statement; however, at the price point this Asus monitor sells at, Its competition is not Tn, but the other IPS models. makes you wonder how much money Asus shelled out to buy out all these review sites.

this is a matter of opinion and i disagree. the swift is the only monitor on the market that has 2560x1440, 144Hz and g-sync. there's no other screen with all these properties. does that make the price justified? probably not, but given the circumstance, i'm not surprised that asus ask this much.

also, i don't think there was a review which said that the colors were on par with IPS, because they're not. it's just a very good TN panel.

i've had ips panels for like forever, i just hated all TN. in the case of swift though, the colors are passable and the positives far outweigh the negatives. i still have my secondary EIZO EV2736, but i would definately recommend the swift to anyone playing games, be it competitive or casual. especially FPS.

btw. your last sentence is just hilarious.

btw2. my last monitor before the swift was the DELL U2319WM 21:9 which i had for over a year and loved it. i'm still missing the extra horizontal FOV to be honest, but i can get over it :)

this is a matter of opinion and i disagree. the swift is the only monitor on the market that has 2560x1440, 144Hz and g-sync. there's no other screen with all these properties. does that make the price justified? probably not, but given the circumstance, i'm not surprised that asus ask this much.

also, i don't think there was a review which said that the colors were on par with IPS, because they're not. it's just a very good TN panel.

i've had ips panels for like forever, i just hated all TN. in the case of swift though, the colors are passable and the positives far outweigh the negatives. i still have my secondary EIZO EV2736, but i would definately recommend the swift to anyone playing games, be it competitive or casual. especially FPS.

btw2. my last monitor before the swift was the DELL U2319WM 21:9 which i had for over a year and loved it. i'm still missing the extra horizontal FOV to be honest, but i can get over it :)

I'm not pointing out the price worthiness of this monitor with regards to features. I'm only pointing out a simple fact that due to the quoted price, this monitor's competition is IPS. not other TNs. So a review site saying its the best TN doesn't matter at all. What I would have wanted to know from a review site is - How does the image quality compare to other monitors in this same price range. Granted this monitor has gsynch and all that but imo, pure image quality and popping colours is very important as well.
Topic creator's "car that's been out in the desert sun" observation between the vibrance of the LG and this monitor is very unique. This is the only place that I've read that. Can you deny that no review site on the internet has focussed on how washed out the colors of this monitor is when compared to a corresponding IPS?
Now you may say that image quality is not the strong point of this monitor- gsync is.. But If reviews only focus on the strong points and not on the weaknesses, what good is the review?
Again, the only reason I'm saying the image quality of this monitor should be compared to a corresponding IPS is simply due to the price Asus wants for it.

Sorry for the double post. My job is mostly illegal selling and buying and I see people and companies being bought out all the time. Do watch oc3d review of this monitor on youtube with the reviewer tom going on and on about how beautiful the panel colors are. Decide for yourself then if he has or hasn't accepted a good sum of money from Asus for putting in a good word for them.

I'm not pointing out the price worthiness of this monitor with regards to features. I'm only pointing out a simple fact that due to the quoted price, this monitor's competition is IPS. not other TNs. So a review site saying its the best TN doesn't matter at all. What I would have wanted to know from a review site is - How does the image quality compare to other monitors in this same price range. Granted this monitor has gsynch and all that but imo, pure image quality and popping colours is very important as well.
Topic creator's "car that's been out in the desert sun" observation between the vibrance of the LG and this monitor is very unique. This is the only place that I've read that. Can you deny that no review site on the internet has focussed on how washed out the colors of this monitor is when compared to a corresponding IPS?
Now you may say that image quality is not the strong point of this monitor- gsync is.. But If reviews only focus on the strong points and not on the weaknesses, what good is the review?
Again, the only reason I'm saying the image quality of this monitor should be compared to a corresponding IPS is simply due to the price Asus wants for it.

that's the point where we disagree :) i say that this monitor has no competition, there are no similar devices, be it in its price range or beyond. i simply wouldn't compare IPS and TN, different technology.

Sorry for the double post. My job is mostly illegal selling and buying and I see people and companies being bought out all the time. Do watch oc3d review of this monitor on youtube with the reviewer tom going on and on about how beautiful the panel colors are. Decide for yourself then if he has or hasn't accepted a good sum of money from Asus for putting in a good word for them.

yes i saw TTLs review of it and even though it was a quite some time ago (so i may be wrong), i can't remember him saying it's on par or better than IPS. he was just saying the colors are beautiful (and quite raving about it). take from that what you will :)

tiny tom logan of oc3d is quite a reputable person and even though he has sponsors like corsair, he's quite critical about all stuff he reviews. just look at how he criticized some of the asus motherboards. i highly doubt he's paid off.

Back