LG 32LE5300 32" 1080p LED HDTV - 1080p 2ms 120Hz // $549 with free shipping

Would this work as an Nvidia 3d Vision display? I'm just curious, as its 120hz, and I wanted to go 3d in my next build.

I don't think so. I don't think tru-motion 120hz is the same as the 120 hz that is actually required for 3d. On the amazon page only one TV shows it is 3d capable out of the current 2010 tv list of their LCDs. From what I've read you don't want this TV to use 120hz for gaming because it just makes everything smoother but introduces some mouse input lag. The 120hz is more for bluray watching to get that soap opera - too real look.

Please correct me if I've missed something here, but I looked at the LG website and the product information sates that this model is LED edge-lit.
Several websites state that is is LED back-lit, so are these two terms being used inappropriately?

Edge-lit allows for a thinner TV and energy savings but doesn't have the picture quality that LED back-lit panels (with local dimming) can achieve.
LED back-lit with local dimming is widely considered to produce the best LCD picture quality and deepest black levels.

Edge-lit on the other hand can be very effective or it can display significant light bleed on the edges of the display.

Where does that leave this model?
The LCD being discussed has an edge-lit LED backlight, there's an owner's discussion thread for it at the AVS forums somewhere: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166

Yes the terms are used interchangeby and causes confusion, leading the average joe six-pack to think that they have some "ultimate model" or something, but it is what it is and it's hard to complain as far as price is concerned ;)

You can probably thank Sharp for the good local-dimming LED's becoming less available (winning a lawsuit vs Samsung, and causing Samsung to stop producing them etc etc).

Manufacturers have recently mucked the waters further by creating a local dimming edge-lit variety now. Hows that for confusing? Potential customer see the words "local dimming" in the description and cream their pants not realizing that it's still edge-lit.

Last edited:
lame - their marketing says backlit. That's one of the reasons I jumped on this. Though Amazon's return policy is stellar - so we'll just see what it looks like in person. I also heard on slickdeals that the sony style stores are selling some of their ex400 series 32" tvs for next to nothing right now in unadvertised specials. I may have to stop by the local sony style store and take a look.

lame - their marketing says backlit. That's one of the reasons I jumped on this. Though Amazon's return policy is stellar - so we'll just see what it looks like in person. I also heard on slickdeals that the sony style stores are selling some of their ex400 series 32" tvs for next to nothing right now in unadvertised specials. I may have to stop by the local sony style store and take a look.
Not sure if you had followed this thread in the display forum, but next up on Deeky's list may be the Toshiba 32E200U. Note that there's some outdated or sketchy info in that thread, some of which i had posted.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i have read that thread before but the 32le5300 is a couple steps up from the ld450 deeky liked best...so I'm hoping it'll be just fine for me!

Looks like Newegg just put this one on sale as well at $469.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005144

Looking at the details on Amazon's TV Low Price Guarantee you should be able to get them to match that as well if you've already bought one and it's shipped. They may just match it prior to purchase as well but I don't see that in their terms.

Still thinking about this one for a guest room myself...

Thanks longcat. I did the whole "found lower price" automated request under order history and requested that extra money back on my three orders. You saved me $60 right there if it goes through okay --- which it should because Amazon is supposed to price match for 14 days post order.

I'm sending my three back - I got all VA panels. I don't even intend to open them. Bad luck in the panel lottery. This is pretty unwise of LG to try to market a superior product and deliver an inferior product --- it's bait and switch and unethical marketing. I contacted LG support and had the following conversation:

Chat Transcript
Time of chat: 12/27/2010 2:57:54 PM
Length of chat: 00:18:22
Your name: jv (edited to initials for privacy)
Chatted with: noris

1:57 PM noris: Hello jv. Welcome to LG Electronics! How may I provide you with excellent service today?
1:58 PM jv: Noris,
1:58 PM jv: I just bought three tvs from amazon - the 32le5300
1:58 PM jv: I understand these are supposed to come with IPS panels
1:58 PM jv: can you verify what type of panel these tvs came with
1:58 PM noris: I will be more than happy to check that for you.
1:58 PM noris: yes Ips panel
1:59 PM jv: the serial numbers end with dlh which according to the forums I"m reading mean they have a "va" panel rather than an IPS panel
1:59 PM jv: the forums indicate it should need to end in wlh if it was the preferable and advertised IPS panel
1:59 PM noris: I will check that for you
1:59 PM noris: I would like to please place you on a brief hold while I research that for you, will that be alright?
1:59 PM jv: sure thank you
2:07 PM noris: Ok yes Im sorry it will depend on the product code.
2:08 PM noris: If it ends on dlh then its va. But some of the models that you have are IPS
2:10 PM jv: I would prefer IPS - how do I get an IPS -as that is what you advertise? It is even in your knowledgebase - http://lgknowledgebase.com/kb/index....y&EntryID=6483
2:11 PM noris: To be honest I really thought they were IPS
2:11 PM jv: VA panels are inferior to IPS panels and are typically put in lesser cost TVs. It seems inappropriate that all three of my TVs are outfitted with inferior panels when they were advertised to be superior panels?!?!
2:11 PM noris: but it depends on the product code
2:11 PM jv: Should I return them to amazon? Or do I work through your services?
2:12 PM noris: If you will like to contact amozon and try and see if they can send you IPS panel
2:14 PM jv: Please relay this issue to your management. There is a whole thread of people upset over this at avsforum.com Most are losing confidence in LG based on this info. Here is the link to the information - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1268529
2:14 PM noris: Yes I will and I am realy sorry

Why didn't you ask the guy for LG to do it so you know it will be an IPS? Are you just going to ask amazon to swap them out for you for an IPS now or what? Also, if you remember, where did yours ship out from...what state?

Man for $470 this seems like a great deal, but I don't know if I want to go through the panel lottery. Can I keep returning these panels indefinitely to Amazon if they don't work out? Or will they throw a fit?

I want to use this as a PC monitor that I could plug my PS3 into as well for easy audio/video switching. But only if it's IPS...

Why didn't you ask the guy for LG to do it so you know it will be an IPS? Are you just going to ask amazon to swap them out for you for an IPS now or what? Also, if you remember, where did yours ship out from...what state?

I guess cause several people in the AVSthread have asked LG to do it and they say they won't. soo I figured that was a no starter. I didn't think to ask myself.

I actually have talked myself out of this set. I've yet to find anyone recently that has actually got and IPS version of this from Amazon. The price is great if you get an IPS. I saw the VA in person today at BestBuy next to a Panasonic TC-L37D2 and the Panasonic was head and shoulders above the LG VA panel. I'd really like to pick something up in the $500 range though... my search continues...

According to the guy Desmo at 1pm today, he says amazon emailed him two times today regarding the new shipments....

Amazon emailed me back - this is what they say:

"I have asked the different manufacturers this question on the panels. Here is the answer that they all gave. The panels are made in different areas. They are all brought back to the states to be assembled on the televisions. Before this happens they all have to pass the same inspection or they won't be used. Per the manufacturers there is no difference in the panels."

I wrote back saying I'd buy the IPS if they can look at the serial number on the box and send me a IPS panel

They then replied:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately we are not able to look at serial numbers of TVs before we ship them out. We cannot guarantee you an IPS panel before the item shipped. LG has told us that we should only be receiving IPS panels at this time but there is a chance you could receive a VA panel. Remember this item qualifies for our Free 30 day TV returns policy."

So if I order it now at $469, will they ship me out IPS since LG has said all the new ones are IPS? If they "fixed the problem" then no more VA should be shipped out you think? Also, many people report they still enjoy the panel... will it be good as a monitor even if its the D model? I don't give 2 craps about viewing angle of the IPS I guess really, as I sit still at my computer like most normal people :D

According to the guy Desmo at 1pm today, he says amazon emailed him two times today regarding the new shipments....

So if I order it now at $469, will they ship me out IPS since LG has said all the new ones are IPS? If they "fixed the problem" then no more VA should be shipped out you think? Also, many people report they still enjoy the panel... will it be good as a monitor even if its the D model? I don't give 2 craps about viewing angle of the IPS I guess really, as I sit still at my computer like most normal people :D

You raise a good point....LG *MIGHT* only be shipping IPS panels to Amazon now, but who knows how many of these older units with PVA panels are sitting in Amazon warehouses?

Also, the major benefit in my mind with IPS is the color accuracy...As you mentioned, most people don't sit a 80 degree angle from the TV, so viewing angles mean very little to most poeple in real world usages...

A lot of people get caught up in "forum" hype, and honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference sitting/viewing the panel straight on...I know this doesn't include everyone, but for most the PVA should still suffice...

I can easily tell the difference between VA and IPS. Not even close if you ask me when even looking straight at it.

I decided to play with the VA panels a bit. It isn't as sharp as my 24" LCDs, but it sure isn't terrible. It would always bug me if I kept this one though - since I know it was supposed to be an IPS panel. I tried to look at the pixels with a magnifying glass but I can't see that small I guess? I couldn't figure out what I'm supposed to look at. It streaks when you lightly press on the screen and move your finger - which is a sure sign of a VA panel because IPS panels won't streak colors following your finger. It does not seem to color shift too bad at all. That part alone would not bother me.

Make sure you change your input to PC using the setup through the remote. You have to go to the different inputs, then push the blue button on the remote - then change the HDMI 4 (for example) to PC. It actually seems to get rid of the mouse lag and text issues that are associated with the default "game mode" setting. It's a strange requirement and one that isn't listed in the manual. But just make sure and change it...You'll instantly be pleased with the result. I only found it because the text looked pretty poor before I made that change and I was trying to look up online how to make the text look better.
At any rate I've requested a return on these panels from amazon for my three because all were VA panels and I wanted the IPS panel. There also seems to be a wee bit of mouse lag. Just enough to barely notice. I think you could get used to it pretty easily because it's ever so slight, but its there. Feels kinda like mouse smoothing vs. no mouse smoothing to me when I tried an FPS. I'm using a wired g9x mouse - so I know it isn't the mouse.

Last edited:
Which amazon warehouse did your TV ship from? Mine is going right out of Dallas, TX which seems to be a new location for these to ship from. Hopefully all 4 are IPS so nothing needs to be exchanged or sent back. For looking at the pixels the easiest way I have found is take a picture with a digital camera while its either sitting on books or a tripod without flash and just zoom in as far as possible without digital zoom. Does your VA panel have any color shifting?

Mine shipped from PA and NJ - as mentioned before.

I played with that single monitor again this morning before work. I will say this - I wouldn't be happy with that HDTV as a monitor in the configuration I was using it.

no color shifting to speak of on this va panel - at least from any location I'm sitting at. I tried putting it on a red background (hardforum) and then moving to the left and right of the screen - - - red stayed red, from anywhere within reason that people would be standing or sitting looking at the screen. The text looked good but I could never get the colors quite dialed in right. My Soyo M-PVA panel looks much more accurate in the color spectrum.

Good -
Big nice matte screen, clear, legitble text when HDMI input was set to PC mode through input labels, Movies looked great, resolution was not bothersome like I was worried it might be after coming from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 (the extra size of the 32" offset that worry completely)

Bad -
A tiny bit of mouse lag in FPS games (equivalent to a mouse smoothing effect), colors I could not get dialed in quite right using my Galaxy 1GB GTX460 (oranges looked off, and overall looked a bit washed out to me), eyes got red after using it last night and are still red this morning - indicating it was too bright ---- yet my wife said the screen calibration I was using looked like it was too dim and for the most part I agree with her...(I was using medium setting for backlighting - the next setting was too bright and auto was WAY too dim)

Overall - it doesn't suit my needs. I'm picky though on colors and HATE TN panel colors for instance. I love my Soyo M-PVA 24" monitor and think it is one of the best color accurate monitors I've seen (though deep blacks are non-existant on the Soyo). I don't have any IPS experience, but to my eyes the Soyo 24" I have is the best PC display I've seen and this 32LE5300 wasn't close enough in quality to outright replace my 24" despite the fact I'd like a bigger monitor. I'm still working with Amazon to try to get an IPS display, but I just wanted to let you guys know that at least in my instance - the VA didn't cut the mustard.

Text was NOT a problem when I set it to PC mode. It was very clear after calibration in windows with the clear font utility. If I could have fixed the colors I would have been happy with the VA panel because color shifting IMO was non existant. My drivers may not be working correctly because I couldn't get the color managment control panel in the Nvidia software to do anything at all. I had to adjust the TV colors through the TV menus and through the Windows color calibration menus. Neither did the job as accurately as I'd like - close, but not quite. It seemed to me that the TV was properly calibrated for HDTV out of the box and didn't really like to allow major changes to anything. All the modes looked pretty similar compared to displays I've had in the past. Perhaps with more time and patience I could have arrived - but hey - I want to start that concerted effort with the correct IPS panel.

Last edited:
I ordered one on Amazon and my buddy ordered three. All four that came in were VA panels which compared to my LG IPS or Dell IPS looks like crap. I will be calling amazon first thing tomorrow to see if they can get someone to pick out an IPS screen. I can't believe LG is chagrining premium pricing on these shitty VA screens.

Not to thread crap, but I just got back from BB. They had the LG 32" on sale this week. I went down to check them out again after my sale on my 30 ACD went south.

They had the 32LD450 there on sale for 459. They were all out of them except the floor display. Since it was there last one and is in their system as discontinued they gave it to me for 379 + tax. So I grabbed it.

Will be setting it up here in a bit. Might be worth a try to check on some of the other LG panels locally as this is an IPS panel and looks pretty sharp. Need to get it calibrated and play with the sharpness as the pixels are all blurry right now.

Make sure to mark the input as PC. It makes a whole world of difference on text and so forth. To do so click on input. Select which ever input it is and click on the blue button. Then arrow down or up until you find PC.

[AK]Zip;1036626353 said:
Make sure to mark the input as PC. It makes a whole world of difference on text and so forth. To do so click on input. Select which ever input it is and click on the blue button. Then arrow down or up until you find PC.

Wowzers. That made a world of difference. Thanks Zip.

They had the 32LD450 there on sale for 459. They were all out of them except the floor display. Since it was there last one and is in their system as discontinued they gave it to me for 379 + tax. So I grabbed it.
That was a deal and a half. Pat yourself on the back then sit back and enjoy your new purchase :)

That was a deal and a half. Pat yourself on the back then sit back and enjoy your new purchase :)

Been playing with the settings all night on it. Tons of stuff to play with. I ended up resetting the input back to normal. Adjusting it to PC wouldn't let me get into Just Scan and play with some of the more advanced settings.

Going to keep tinkering with it. Will post my stuff in the display thread.

[AK]Zip;1036626353 said:

awesome, thanks for the tip... its much better! :D

awesome, thanks for the tip... its much better! :D

I didn't like it much after setting it back to just scan then playing with the horizontal and vertical sharpness settings. My text looks pretty much like a dedicated PC monitor now.

Calibrated this set looks pretty damn nice. Played a little Fallout: NV, AvP, and a variety of 360 games. All looked pretty sharp.

Netflix is looking pretty good as well, might bring the blu-ray player down and see how that looks later.

So far I'm enjoying it.

So I called Amazon. They can not guarantee an IPS panel, but she told me to just try again and see if the new one is what I want that I can always exchange again. I am honestly not sure I want to keep doing this over and over again in order to get an IPS. I have another one on the way to me now. It seems Amazon has now changed how these get delivered. They will now be sent with a different carrier due to all of the returns they are having, but I am trying to explain to them its due to them being a VA instead of IPS panel, but I don't think they understand.

Regardless all of the shipping is not on my dime and since I don't even have to leave the house to send it back I guess I can just keep doing it until I get an IPS or my 30 days is up. Either way it has to be an IPS or I want a full refund back. I will not settle for a $469 32in VA screen....

[AK]Zip;1036628677 said:
So I called Amazon. They can not guarantee an IPS panel, but she told me to just try again and see if the new one is what I want that I can always exchange again. I am honestly not sure I want to keep doing this over and over again in order to get an IPS. I have another one on the way to me now. It seems Amazon has now changed how these get delivered. They will now be sent with a different carrier due to all of the returns they are having, but I am trying to explain to them its due to them being a VA instead of IPS panel, but I don't think they understand.

Regardless all of the shipping is not on my dime and since I don't even have to leave the house to send it back I guess I can just keep doing it until I get an IPS or my 30 days is up. Either way it has to be an IPS or I want a full refund back. I will not settle for a $469 32in VA screen....

If it makes you guys feel any better, eventually stuff like this goes back to the manufacturer with a nasty letter from Amazon about how the items were misrepresented, then Amazon uses that as leverage to negotiate lower purchases prices on future items from that manufacturer :p

If it makes you guys feel any better, eventually stuff like this goes back to the manufacturer with a nasty letter from Amazon about how the items were misrepresented, then Amazon uses that as leverage to negotiate lower purchases prices on future items from that manufacturer :p

Sound good. I will then drag this out to 30 days of exchanging over and over again until I get a proper IPS panel. :D

I want to say up front I am sorry Amazon, but I want to receive what I paid for.

Has anyone received an IPS panel yet?

I really want to jump on this however I've been through the panel lottery before and quite frankly I don't want to play that game anymore.

My new one is coming in on Monday. My friends will be sending all 3 of his back to get 3 new ones.

Can anyone who has theirs do some multiplayer fps gaming and report back on how the responsiveness is?

It seems you are the new hope for IPS, Zip.. let us know (or any other [H] lurkers) if you get one of the newer shipments from this week on Monday and its a newer panel.

My buddy called in to have all 3 of his replaced as well. I guess we will see how that goes.

Back