LG 32GP850-B 165 hz monitor frame skipping like crazy even at 120 hz

SPL Tech

n00b
I picked up this monitor from Costco. It claims it does 165 Hz at 1440P with or without G-Sync. Although, when I set G-Sync to on it automatically reduces the frame rate to 120 Hz, but I can change it back in Nvidia. Anyway, I tried the UFO frame skipping test and I found that at 165 hz, 144, and 120 both with g-sync on and off, my camera seems to be showing the monitor is skipping frames. Like a lot of them. The only time I get a continuous strip of boxes is when it is set to 60 Hz.

I returned the monitor and got a second one and the second one does the same thing. So I am confused. The monitor is rated for 165 hz but even at 120 it seems to have issues. Why? Is there something I am missing here? Is the test not working correctly?

why are you using a camera? your eyeballs should tell you whether it's working fine or not. chances are it's fine and you're "garbling" the results by trying to look at it through a camera

To record a PC monitor with a digital camera there are a whole host of considerations such as the refresh rate of the monitor vs the scan rate or shutter speed settings on the camera and so on. I’m not an expert here but if you just point a a camera at a pc screen you are going to get flickering , banding etc. If this is what you are looking to do start researching how to calibrate the camera to do this or if your camera can even do what you are trying to accomplish. Google time my friend.

why are you using a camera? your eyeballs should tell you whether it's working fine or not. chances are it's fine and you're "garbling" the results by trying to look at it through a camera
Because that is what the website says to do. it says to record the image with a camera using a lighttrail function. There is no possible way I can see if all of the boxes are lighting up at 165 hz. That means each box is only light for 1/165th of a second and I would need to look at 165 boxes.

Because that is what the website says to do. it says to record the image with a camera using a lighttrail function. There is no possible way I can see if all of the boxes are lighting up at 165 hz. That means each box is only light for 1/165th of a second and I would need to look at 165 boxes.
you are WAY overcomplicating this.

Trust us, that monitor can do 165Hz no problem. It's not exactly bleeding edge and that's a great monitor.

Hes not over complicating, if hes following the steps on blurbusters and its failing, the monitor is frame skipping. Even an old iPhone in slowmo setting can detect frame skipping.

Does it feel like it’s skipping frames in a smooth scroll in an actual game? It should be quite obvious.

Back